A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particlar order.....

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, my biggest concern with this team is the coaching.

1. To the original point about Hogan... how can he still be out there with all his drops and Easley on the bench. Every fan watching the game can see that Hogan doesn't have it. Why can't the coaches?

Easley has been a star on special teams, why on earth this allows everyone to know he's a better WR than Hogan is beyond me. There is only one reason I can imagine we haven't seen him out there instead of Graham, Hogan, Goodwin... That reason is he must be even worse.

Is this a snarky response. I can't tell. Exposed? Over the last 11 games last year, Gilmore was one of the best CBs in the league. And he was having a GREAT camp and pre-season, poised to pick up right where he left off.

GO BILLS!!!

Not snarky at all. Go back and watch his performance against the Redskins. If you can still say he was having a GREAT pre-season, then we won't likely agree on CB analysis. Hint: he was worse than Rogers in that game.

wait.

HUH?

Watch the games and come to your own conclusion. Don't blindly follow the crowd.

Not snarky at all. Go back and watch his performance against the Redskins. If you can still say he was having a GREAT pre-season, then we won't likely agree on CB analysis. Hint: he was worse than Rogers in that game.

Gladly. And I'm highly relieved that we don't.

But instead of citing a pre-season game, you'd be better served by reviewing the last 11 games of last season. One of the best CBs in the game over that stretch.

And he had a great camp and pre-season, in spite of the Skins pre-season game.

GO BILLS!!!

I find it interesting that you single out Gilmore. This D has so many issues and guys not pulling their weight yet you single out the guy who has a club on his arm and hasn't played a down of football in 2 months? A guy who, despite what you want to believe, played very well in the 2nd half of last year- particularly for a rookie. You might not like 1st round CBs but you can't be serious with jumping on him under these circumstances. You could jump on anybody else and it would make more sense.

It makes it pretty obvious that you watch these things with your own agenda in mind.

You got me. I even confess to 2 agendas:

1) I am a crazed Bills Fan and I want them to win.

2) I am not going to make believe that any player, no matter when they were drafted, was a good selection if I don't think they were.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Watch the games and come to your own conclusion. Don't blindly follow the crowd.

Oh, do not worry, I do not follow the crowd, nor do I worry with what unsubstantiated thoughts are, as you have offered. I have seen enough to judge Gilmore as one of the better backs in the league.

We can get in to detail about this if you'd like but I doubt it would do much to change your mind.

1) Kiko, Dareus and especially Kyle Williams did not play well today. Of the 3, Dareus redeemed himself to some degree, but there was little pass pressure up the middle, and the run defense was soft. The time of possession stats were disgusting, and these 3, along with Marrone must share the blame.

2) Spiller had 5 carries for 55 yards. Many of his carries seemed to fall 1 or 2 yards short of a first down. Still in all, these were great numbers for a situational running back.

3) Fwiw, the 51 yard field goal by Carpenter would have been good from 60 yards. That was a truly amazing kick.

4) Gilmore was pathetic on the short pass for a long gain with approx. 11 min. left in the 2nd quarter. He was blocked out of the play and pushed around like a rag doll. That said, if we want to pretend that he was a good draft selection/shut down corner, we can do that too. We an also debate as to whether or not Santa Claus is real.

5) If any of you can think of a reason that Chris Hogan is a member of this football team, please drop me a line.

7) Lewis is weird. He carries the football like a loaf of bread. I am not seeing pocket presence. BUT, he seems OK. It's hard to explain.

8)I ain't preachin', 'cause I don't know,

How to make fast things move along slow.

I can't stop it, can't make it go.

Just 'cause I say it.....

that don't mean that it's so, no, no.

Watch what you hear now, make sure it's clear now,

Just 'cause it's said,

that don't mean that it's true.

9) Searcy has lots of issues, but I maintain that I will take him on my football team any day.

10) At RWS, Bills Fans, down 24-10 just were not giving up. I was really proud to be a Bills Fan seeing this. But, this is an ongoing state.

11) OK, I confess.....I am not crazy about Marrone. But I credit him for the 4th quarter pass to Chandler. It was a gutsy call that worked.

12) Gotta give kudos to TJ Graham. I didn't think that he had it in him to get open and catch passes. Goodwin looked OK too, and Chandler is actually looking very good imo.

13) Overall, the defense was unimpressive.

14) If we are to win a few games with Lewis, imo there will need to be a lot more planned qb draws/runs. Hey, there is little to lose.

15) Go Bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was very interested to see how Dareus performed in a very low profile game nationally........after playing lights out in Cleveland in primetime.

He stunk.

But he wasn't the only dog out there today. The entire defense played flat and they simply didn't run to the ball. If it looked like one guy was in position to make the tackle the other defenders were giving up. It wasn't a complete fiasco like SF or Seattle games last year.....but it was a sorry excuse for a defensive effort. It was a listless performance until late in the game. Alan Branch gave them a boost late.

Hogan can't make a tough catch......he is sh*tting the bed in this opportunity. He sucks on ST too. I expect to see him on waivers pretty soon.

Easley has been a star on special teams, why on earth this allows everyone to know he's a better WR than Hogan is beyond me. There is only one reason I can imagine we haven't seen him out there instead of Graham, Hogan, Goodwin... That reason is he must be even worse.

Mostly because he led all receivers in the preseason in receptions and yards and Hogan has done nothing but conistently drop passes. I'd say it's worth at least a few series in a game to see what he can do.

Classic! Sorry guy, Gilmore is no shut down corner. Pre-season, injury - keep 'em coming.

No need to keep them 'em coming. Over the last 11 games of his rookie year, he was playing as well as any CB in the league. Period. Whether or not that makes him a shut down CB, I don't know. I don't think there are any, anyway. But he was VERY difficult to play against over that stretch. And every body that follows the game with any advanced level of understanding of the position and the various schemes in which it's played, agrees with that assessment.

Get back to me after your review. And it may help to have some discussions with those closer to the game as well. Some of us do that on a regular basis.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh, do not worry, I do not follow the crowd, nor do I worry with what unsubstantiated thoughts are, as you have offered. I have seen enough to judge Gilmore as one of the better backs in the league.

We can get in to detail about this if you'd like but I doubt it would do much to change your mind.

Yeah, I've seen enough of Gilmore too to know he is not one of the "best in the league". No I'm not changing my opinion, which is based on what I see, not what I wish for since he was drafted so high. He still has the chance as a 2nd year player to develop some more consistency in his game, but I'm not optimistic.

Don't waste your time.

GO BILLS!!!

No need to keep them 'em coming. Over the last 11 games of his rookie year, he was playing as well as any CB in the league. Period. Whether or not that makes him a shut down CB, I don't know. I don't think there are any, anyway. But he was VERY difficult to play against over that stretch. And every body that follows the game with any advanced level of understanding of the position and the various schemes in which it's played, agrees with that assessment.

Get back to me after your review. And it may help to have some discussions with those closer to the game as well. Some of us do that on a regular basis.

GO BILLS!!!

So do you think he played good today? How about those "closer to the game"? I think this guy has been burned more than you realize or care to admit.

Yeah, I've seen enough of Gilmore too to know he is not one of the "best in the league". No I'm not changing my opinion, which is based on what I see, not what I wish for since he was drafted so high. He still has the chance as a 2nd year player to develop some more consistency in his game, but I'm not optimistic.

What is the point of holding the #pick against the player picked?

You don't need to follow up, no need to go another round...but it's not Gilmore's fault he was picked.

Anyone that expected Gilmore to be great in run support while wearing a club on one hand is lacking a fundamental understanding of how defense I played.

Now, Bill's crusade against all first rounders that weren't OLmen aside, anyone want to tell me exactly how many times Cincy even threw at Gmore today?

So do you think he played good today? How about those "closer to the game"? I think this guy has been burned more than you realize or care to admit.

No, I don't think he played well today. But I wasn't expecting him to, especially with one arm.

He was burned frequently in his first 5 games last season, especially on combination routes and, after it happened again, in the SF on he exact same combination route he was burned on several times previously, Wannstedt made a change and let him lock up on the opponents number 1 more often and just not worry about sitting in zones, etc. And he played lights out the rest of the year.

GO BILLS!!!

Are you sure you watched him last year? He didn't allow a single TD after week 6.

Indeed. Fahey is pretty solid with his analysis. His piece on Stevie was excellent as well.

No, I don't think he played well today. But I wasn't expecting him to, especially with one arm.

He was burned frequently in his first 5 games last season, especially on combination routes and, after it happened again, in the SF on he exact same combination route he was burned on several times previously, Wannstedt made a change and let him lock up on the opponents number 1 more often and just not worry about sitting in zones, etc. And he played lights out the rest of the year.

GO BILLS!!!

Wait, play a man corner in a man scheme? Who'd think to do that?

1) Kiko, Dareus and especially Kyle Williams did not play well today. Of the 3, Dareus redeemed himself to some degree, but there was little pass pressure up the middle, and the run defense was soft. The time of possession stats were disgusting, and these 3, along with Marrone must share the blame.

2) Spiller had 5 carries for 55 yards. Many of his carries seemed to fall 1 or 2 yards short of a first down. Still in all, these were great numbers for a situational running back.

3) Fwiw, the 51 yard field goal by Carpenter would have been good from 60 yards. That was a truly amazing kick.

4) Gilmore was pathetic on the short pass for a long gain with approx. 11 min. left in the 2nd quarter. He was blocked out of the play and pushed around like a rag doll. That said, if we want to pretend that he was a good draft selection/shut down corner, we can do that too. We an also debate as to whether or not Santa Claus is real.

5) If any of you can think of a reason that Chris Hogan is a member of this football team, please drop me a line.

7) Lewis is weird. He carries the football like a loaf of bread. I am not seeing pocket presence. BUT, he seems OK. It's hard to explain.

8)I ain't preachin', 'cause I don't know,

How to make fast things move along slow.

I can't stop it, can't make it go.

Just 'cause I say it.....

that don't mean that it's so, no, no.

Watch what you hear now, make sure it's clear now,

Just 'cause it's said,

that don't mean that it's true.

9) Searcy has lots of issues, but I maintain that I will take him on my football team any day.

10) At RWS, Bills Fans, down 24-10 just were not giving up. I was really proud to be a Bills Fan seeing this. But, this is an ongoing state.

11) OK, I confess.....I am not crazy about Marrone. But I credit him for the 4th quarter pass to Chandler. It was a gutsy call that worked.

12) Gotta give kudos to TJ Graham. I didn't think that he had it in him to get open and catch passes. Goodwin looked OK too, and Chandler is actually looking very good imo.

13) Overall, the defense was unimpressive.

14) If we are to win a few games with Lewis, imo there will need to be a lot more planned qb draws/runs. Hey, there is little to lose.

15) Go Bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I usually agree with a lot of the stuff you post every week but disagree with multiple ones this week. especially the Gilmore one. the man had a cast on. he ahd a good rookie year. im not to sure why your calling him a underachiever

Normally I agree with Bill and appreciate his thoughts but I have to disagree about Gilmore, PFF had him graded as one of the best CB's last year didn't they? Plus the guy has a cast on one arm and run support is gonna suffer big time not to mention the downtime with the injury. If I'm cincy going into the game today I plan on running the ball right into Gilmore's chest. Funny how a loss on this board causes this much stress especially when most people's expectations are 4-12ish, they are on pace for more wins then 4 and its a big step up from last year. Thad Lewis was no messiah but I think I'm pleased with what I saw, with some more experience coming to him he looks like he can be good back-up material, big arm doesn't make boneheaded decisions too often and kept us in the game. If anything little concerned about the ball security as bill said, holds the ball really funny wonder if the coaching staff will try and correct that this week. Hopefully Gilmore gets that cast off and we have SJ back next week and the team shows some more fire. Down the stretch last year it looked like the players gave up and I don't see that happening this year, more competent team overall and that's what we should be looking for this year. Defense had a bad game but if you take away the stats and just watch them play it is SO much more improved then last year, I've been saying since the season opener the no-huddle is KILLING this team, cant win with such lopsided ToP.

What is the point of holding the #pick against the player picked?

You don't need to follow up, no need to go another round...but it's not Gilmore's fault he was picked.

I think the exact opposite is at play sometimes - people can't bear the thought of whiffing on another top 10 pick so they will not/cannot admit he has looked downright awful out there at times. I could care less where he was picked. Based on draft position alone we should have the best secondary around in McKelvin and Gilmore, but we don't.

WHAT is up with Easley? Seriously, does anyone have insight why he takes up eligibility while NEVER being called to play WR?

4 years into his career and I STILL think he may have 'it'. No evidence to suggest otherwise. But no evidence to back my belief.. WTH?!?

#1) My concern is Cinci figured out Pettine's ' Front' looks. I guess I just don't want to believe they ALL took the day off.

#4) Gilmore is a fantastic corner. The DB's played well, IMO, as the QB had all day to throw and often Still couldn't find anyone..

Mid October and -for all intent and purpose- we're dead for the playoffs. But we're better than we've been, entertaining and coming very close at the end. Fairly certain this is what most fans hoped for this past off-season.

My Kingdom for a 'W'!

Bills D seemed to adjust and shut down those quick hitting screen plays midway through the 3rd quarter, and kept Cincy at bay most of the rest of the game...that being said, it was a brutal first half for the D...

I think the exact opposite is at play sometimes - people can't bear the thought of whiffing on another top 10 pick so they will not/cannot admit he has looked downright awful out there at times. I could care less where he was picked. Based on draft position alone we should have the best secondary around in McKelvin and Gilmore, but we don't.

Can we wait until they are both out there and healthy to make that claim? McKelvin is much improved this year and both guys have not been on the field together yet.

I cannot wait to throw this in your face. To make you eat so much crow that you throw up. To make you admit how wrong you were that both Gilmore and McKelvin are amazing and better then the Winfield/Clements duo. Yes, those will be good times and happy days. And I am sure you will be more then willing to admit that when it happens because that would just be sweet to see up here in Buffalo again.

After the first five games of last year, you would be hardpressed to find too many glaring technique errors on the part of Gilmore. It's literally hard for a CB to play his position much better than he did over the last 11 games.

I was a limited viewer over the last half of the season (all credit due to D Wannstedt) but even in that limited viewing I still saw multiple instances of things that you just can't get away with in this league. Flipping his hips the wrong way, allowing guys to break his cushion, trying to play trail techniques on inappropriate routes, etc. He usually recovered from the error before he was caught out on it, but the little technique mistakes were still there. I honestly just don't think the kid had any qualified coaching until this offseason.

He could be an absolutely huge part of this defense and I am really anxious to see what he can bring to the field at some point this season.

But my friend, Gilmore hurt us today. And I do await the time that he proves to be worth such an early pick, let alone a "shutdown corner." Do you see it coming?

Oh I don't disagree with that at all; he was definitely a huge liability out there. All 3 of the Bengals successful drives in the first half were primarily a result of a big play we gave up when they attacked our one-armed corner with a hitch or an end around. But I don't think he was a liability because he's a bad player; I think he was a liability because he's an injured player. His strength and MO as a corner is a physical challenging game and that's been taken away from him in the short term. Maybe a truly gifted athlete like Champ Bailey or Darell Green can be effective without being able to use his hands, but that is just not what makes Gilmore good. What makes him good is his willingness and ability to get inside a receiver, mix it up and destroy the integrity of the guy's route. He can't do that right now without getting rag-dolled because he's playing one-handed. If you want to compare it to previous Bills corners think about it like this: a great athlete like Nate Clements could probably get by playing with one arm but a great football player like Antoine Winfield never could. Gilmore is more like Antoine Winfield than he is Nate Clements and he needs to be able to play football instead of relying on his athleticism to be effective at this level.

Can he become a shut-down corner? I don't like using the term because it means so many different things to so many different people and no corner wins every route in a game and totally shuts people down. But can he be a legitimate top end DB in this league; yeah I think he can. He's a pain in the ass to play against because he fights like a demon on every snap, QB's hate throwing at him because he's usually inside a WR's shirt, when he has two hands he's quick and eager to attack the LOS and create problems for multiple aspects of an opposing offense. He needs to clean up a few issues with his technique (which I want to believe the coaching change will address) and he might have to play with just a touch less reckless abandon if he wants to stay healthy. But the quicks, the physical and mental toughness, and the instincts are all there for him to be the kind of player that creates problems for the bad guys and allows more freedom for the good guys to open up the defensive playbook.

Interesting....87 failed Coverages.

You know, sometimes it's OK to say "Wow, I didn't realize that. I'll take a longer, more open-minded look at the issue and see what I think of it".

Or you can just dig a hole, close your eyes and hunker down........

You know, sometimes it's OK to say "Wow, I didn't realize that. I'll take a longer, more open-minded look at the issue and see what I think of it".

I actually like Gilmore, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned with some of the things I have seen out of him. I'm not at the point where I think he is as good as some others think, but I could and hope I do get there.

At this point, my biggest concern with this team is the coaching.

1. To the original point about Hogan... how can he still be out there with all his drops and Easley on the bench. Every fan watching the game can see that Hogan doesn't have it. Why can't the coaches?

2. This continual running up the middle, off center. It's just not working. Stop it. Every fan watching the game can see it. What can't the coaches.

3. That 4th and goal play. Really? First of all, after 3 tries, take the easy FG, tie the game and keep your offense's confidence flying high. But, if you do run a play, why pick a play you rarely ever run that calls for a back up lineman and the fullback to be e 2 receiving options? Whe does that make sense?

4. OT. you can't go conservative. I understand that an interception ends the game, but punting from your 10 isn't much better. The QB had just had a great drive to tie the game, you gotta give him a chance. The run, run, pass conservative plan is just wrong there.

Once again, I see us losing a game that just looked winnable. But our coaching and game plan just came up lacking when the young players needed it the most.

Bill it is hard to take a defeat but Kiko is a rookie making rookie mistakes, he over-pursues and we are paying for it but the kid is a baller, superstar in the making. When his game lked better in the 2nd half, so did everyone's around him.

You got to get over basing you opinion on our players on where we drafted them and why we didn't pick a Oline man (which may even be true in some instances) but Gilmore was put in a bad place today. And belittling CJ? I don't get it.

I for one never want to see cover2 schemes again in my life, I have no idea why you play a scheme which doesn't fit your guys and basically is passive aggressive. WTH was that? Yeah, the defense looked flat, I don't really wonder why.

Dan, I somewhat agree with your assessment, good post. The only thing I would argue is players need to physically dominate. They did toward the end of regulation and it made a difference. But that to goes with the scheme (which is more about speed, what are we the Sabres 5 years ago?)

You avatar is for real isn't it, you are on crack :bag:

(BTW, I agree about your signature).

Well, I always thought people were a little to high on Revis. I am not saying that with Gilmore, yet, because I think many people are still grounded. However, Richard Sherman is as good as most people realize only because most people do not have a clue who he is and how good he is at his position.

I really want to sit down with Pettine for 20-30 minutes to understand what he is trying to do on this defense because the more I think about it the more frustrated I get. Why did we not put 6 guys in the box showing multiple fronts and blitzes?! We did it toward the end when I gave up watching and the radio told me so... but seriously, Pettine seems to be anti-establishment some times in his coaching. Trying to do it his way vs. the way he has been brought up.

Ridiculous on D.

Oh and for all ya'll pointing out that Kiko had 22 tackles and had a good game. Funny, I remember many people saying the same thing about Paul Poz.

I was a limited viewer over the last half of the season (all credit due to D Wannstedt) but even in that limited viewing I still saw multiple instances of things that you just can't get away with in this league. Flipping his hips the wrong way, allowing guys to break his cushion, trying to play trail techniques on inappropriate routes, etc. He usually recovered from the error before he was caught out on it, but the little technique mistakes were still there. I honestly just don't think the kid had any qualified coaching until this offseason.

He could be an absolutely huge part of this defense and I am really anxious to see what he can bring to the field at some point this season.

Oh I don't disagree with that at all; he was definitely a huge liability out there. All 3 of the Bengals successful drives in the first half were primarily a result of a big play we gave up when they attacked our one-armed corner with a hitch or an end around. But I don't think he was a liability because he's a bad player; I think he was a liability because he's an injured player. His strength and MO as a corner is a physical challenging game and that's been taken away from him in the short term. Maybe a truly gifted athlete like Champ Bailey or Darell Green can be effective without being able to use his hands, but that is just not what makes Gilmore good. What makes him good is his willingness and ability to get inside a receiver, mix it up and destroy the integrity of the guy's route. He can't do that right now without getting rag-dolled because he's playing one-handed. If you want to compare it to previous Bills corners think about it like this: a great athlete like Nate Clements could probably get by playing with one arm but a great football player like Antoine Winfield never could. Gilmore is more like Antoine Winfield than he is Nate Clements and he needs to be able to play football instead of relying on his athleticism to be effective at this level.

Can he become a shut-down corner? I don't like using the term because it means so many different things to so many different people and no corner wins every route in a game and totally shuts people down. But can he be a legitimate top end DB in this league; yeah I think he can. He's a pain in the ass to play against because he fights like a demon on every snap, QB's hate throwing at him because he's usually inside a WR's shirt, when he has two hands he's quick and eager to attack the LOS and create problems for multiple aspects of an opposing offense. He needs to clean up a few issues with his technique (which I want to believe the coaching change will address) and he might have to play with just a touch less reckless abandon if he wants to stay healthy. But the quicks, the physical and mental toughness, and the instincts are all there for him to be the kind of player that creates problems for the bad guys and allows more freedom for the good guys to open up the defensive playbook.

Good post