Bills open to trading Byrd

Jdragon2

If Byrd is worth what he thinks he is, then anything short of a 1st round pick would be highway robbery. They are not going to get that now so it would be foolish to trade him. He is not going anywhere right now. Perhaps after they franchise him again next year.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess your right all the other pro bowlers leave during free agency. I still hope they get a 1st for him, otherwise make him play football.

That's funny. "All the other Pro Bowlers."

GO BILLS!!!

Brandon noted that the team's brand had been tarnished back in January, but I wonder if he realizes one of the reasons is because they play these games with their top talent. One hallmark of this organization has been an inability to anticipate how their decisions will impact other areas, which is what will happen if they trade Byrd.

Then again, I doubt Brandon cares if he hurts the team's reputation so long as he can save the owner cash. Which means the brand remains tarnished in the league circles where credibility isn't based on your marketing plan.

Perhaps you are mis framing the argument. The disagreement IMO is over whether or not Byrd IS top Tier talent.

Frankly I think Parker would have presented a trade to the Bills by now worth taking if Byrd was the superstar he's been made out to be.

Reason I say Parker is he'd have to secure the long term deal for the trade to make sense on Byrds side and I can't see that discussion happening without some agreement in principle on trade value.

My suspicion is that nothing has changed at OBD re: desire to move Byrd. I think they all realize he has the least value return at this point. I think they will play him and thats that... To be re-visited in the off-season. What is construed as "news" sometimes is the furthest thing from it.

Perhaps you are mis framing the argument. The disagreement IMO is over whether or not Byrd IS top Tier talent.

Frankly I think Parker would have presented a trade to the Bills by now worth taking if Byrd was the superstar he's been made out to be.

Reason I say Parker is he'd have to secure the long term deal for the trade to make sense on Byrds side and I can't see that discussion happening without some agreement in principle on trade value.

Anyone who thinks Parker wasn't burning up the phone lines and crashing cell towers making calls trying to find a team to make a deal with, is fooling themselves. Byrd, while highly respected, IS NOT thought of as the type of transcendent player he needs to be to get the coin he is looking for. He's a higher end talent to be sure, but he needs to be realistic.

GO BILLS!!!

I guess your right all the other pro bowlers leave during free agency.

first rounder for Peters if you have forgotten. And we picked Wood with that pick. Overall, I'd say we for the better deal so far. We also took Shawn Nelson who isn't with the team now but did produce and show a little promise while he was here. I can't find out who we took with the conditional pick but it was either Moats or Batten in 2010. Overall, I'm thinking we made out. Edited by mrags

I highly doubt that Byrd would fetch a first round pick. If any team was crazy enough to offer that, the Bills would be nuts not to take it.

I would bet that his actual perceived value by most of the league is less than pro-bowl stature. He simply is not a difference maker and hasn’t been since his rookie year which I admit was stellar. Since then he has been good not great.

The only people out there who think Byrd would have made the pro-bowl this year even if he had played the whole season are his agent and his mom and maybe a few Bills fans who have some kind of man crush on the guy.

I might be wrong, I often am, but my impression is that he wants to be “the highest paid safety” in the NFL. Who in this league honestly thinks that guy is worth anywhere close to that?

I might be wrong, I often am, but my impression is that he wants to be “the highest paid safety” in the NFL. Who in this league honestly thinks that guy is worth anywhere close to that?

i think he's worth that much. Doesn't mean I want us to pay that much for him tho.

I highly doubt that Byrd would fetch a first round pick. If any team was crazy enough to offer that, the Bills would be nuts not to take it.

I would bet that his actual perceived value by most of the league is less than pro-bowl stature. He simply is not a difference maker and hasn’t been since his rookie year which I admit was stellar. Since then he has been good not great.

The only people out there who think Byrd would have made the pro-bowl this year even if he had played the whole season are his agent and his mom and maybe a few Bills fans who have some kind of man crush on the guy.

Sorry, but that is just wrong. Byrd is a consensus top three safety in this league and he is definitely a difference-maker. And the Bills must think so too, or they would not have franchised him. It's debatable what his trade value is, due to health issues and uncertain contract situation, but it's not out of the question that the Bills could get a no. 1 pick for him. I would guess there are multiple teams that would surrender a second-rounder for him. They key is whether teams believe they will be able to reach a long-term deal with Byrd after the season is over.

Edited by mannc

I think a second in the next draft and a second in 2015 would be something both sides could live with. This would give the Bills the opportunity to build the team even more. When you consider the Bills have gotten their starting LT, MLB, and a very good WR in the past 2 drafts in the second round I would do it in a heartbeat. Not to mention you save that money you would spend on Byrd and can use it for your own guys or sign some FA next offseason. Pettine's D has looked solid with out 4 starting defensive backs to date. Once Gilmore, McKelvin, and Brooks are back and Williams can go back to safety I want to see how the D looks. In a perfect world Byrd could be resigned, but I say move on and see what you can get. Build through the draft and become very good for a long time. Now just find a team that needs a safety and pull the trigger! Broncos would be a good fit.

I think a second in the next draft and a second in 2015 would be something both sides could live with. This would give the Bills the opportunity to build the team even more. When you consider the Bills have gotten their starting LT, MLB, and a very good WR in the past 2 drafts in the second round I would do it in a heartbeat. Not to mention you save that money you would spend on Byrd and can use it for your own guys or sign some FA next offseason. Pettine's D has looked solid with out 4 starting defensive backs to date. Once Gilmore, McKelvin, and Brooks are back and Williams can go back to safety I want to see how the D looks. In a perfect world Byrd could be resigned, but I say move on and see what you can get. Build through the draft and become very good for a long time. Now just find a team that needs a safety and pull the trigger! Broncos would be a good fit.

How would you feel if the Bills traded two second round picks for a player we can't even extend? No one is making that deal.

Would you give up two second-round picks for, say, Brian Orakpo, a Pro Bowl player from Byrd's draft class, with the caveat that he couldn't be extended? I would certainly not.

Edited by ny33