NFL in-season trades

I really can't see the Bills giving up picks this year to bring in a player. Some might contend that it would be worth giving up a couple picks to bring in a better OG to replace Brown, but I think that Marrone and Whaley are content with what they have right now.

Now, I could see Buffalo trading away a certain player for the right compensation. <cough Byrd> I think that will be difficult, however, as teams will not be able to negotiate a new contract with him until after the season. Risky business. There are a few teams that could REALLY use help in the secondary right now. Philadelphia and Carolina immediately come to mind.

This would be the wrong time to trade Byrd given the receiving team's inability to lock him up. It would make the compensation much less than he is worth. I also do not see them trading picks for a guard right now. It is what is for this year.

Wow, surprising about Monroe - he was thought of as a can't miss tackle at one point. Is he still? If so, only getting moved for late round picks seems like a big dump for the Jags, though it is his contract year. I haven't read up on the Jags or his performance. It would seem the Ravens want an upgrade on an aging and problematic McKinnie, though.

To add: If a potential franchise LT with no restrictions on a contract extension is getting moved for a few late round picks, anyone suggesting that Byrd (who cannot be re-signed in-season) can net a first or even a second rounder is delusional.

I keep adding, but, while I understand the desire to upgrade on Brown, no one besides the Broncos is going to the Super Bowl from the AFC this year. With that said, is it worth trading away a pick that could be next year's Alonso or Woods to net an upgrade a guard? Especially considering that we could actually get that guard with a 2014 draft pick?

I have never recalled this many in-season trades ever.

1) Richardson trade

2) Monroe trade

3) Brown trade

Any others?

There do seem to be quite a few. I think I'm a fan of it. I would trade a late round pick for Levi Brown. In other news, pick up the St. Louis D if you can for fantasy this week. The Jags are going to get their QB's killed.

This would be the wrong time to trade Byrd given the receiving team's inability to lock him up. It would make the compensation much less than he is worth. I also do not see them trading picks for a guard right now. It is what is for this year.

But when else can you trade him where his value will be higher? Your not going to get anything more for him if you wait it out. At the end of the season teams can just wait til he becomes a FA

Teams can talk informally and get a "handshake agreement" from him that they will pay him what he wants when they can.

I keep adding, but, while I understand the desire to upgrade on Brown, no one besides the Broncos is going to the Super Bowl from the AFC this year. With that said, is it worth trading away a pick that could be next year's Alonso or Woods to net an upgrade a guard? Especially considering that we could actually get that guard with a 2014 draft pick?

Trading a mid/late pick for a guy that can start and is an upgrade now will help more then hoping another late round pick becomes a starter. I would trade a 1st to 3rd for one (unless they were one of the better guards in the league now) You never know what your gonna get from a player drafted later

As for Monroe, I have heard he has been good (not great) and they did it so they can move this years pick Joekel from RT to LT

Edited by apuszczalowski

But when else can you trade him where his value will be higher? Your not going to get anything more for him if you wait it out. At the end of the season teams can just wait til he becomes a FA

Teams can talk informally and get a "handshake agreement" from him that they will pay him what he wants when they can.

I agree. Now is the time to trade Byrd, if you can get decent value for him (1st round pick or 2nd round pick from a team likely to finish in the bottom half of the league). If they are planning to trade Byrd (not saying they are), it's possible that the next couple weeks are showcase games, meant to prove that his foot is sufficiently healed. Personally, I think, when healthy, Byrd is one of the two or three best safeties in the league and is worth at least a no. 1 pick, but given his health issues and the uncertainty of his contract status, we might not be able to get that much for him. Bottom line, though, is that the guy does not want to be here and really needs to be moved, the sooner, the better.

Trading a mid/late pick for a guy that can start and is an upgrade now will help more then hoping another late round pick becomes a starter. I would trade a 1st to 3rd for one (unless they were one of the better guards in the league now) You never know what your gonna get from a player drafted later

As for Monroe, I have heard he has been good (not great) and they did it so they can move this years pick Joekel from RT to LT

Even a good, not great LT is worth a 1st round pick, and more than a hobbled starting safety. Methinks the Jags got fleeced, which isn't surprising because they are a dumpster-fire of an organization.

And I'm not talking about a late-round pick. I think it would take a second-rounder to pry away a guy that is better than Colin Brown from a team, unless Jax is having a fire sale and has an available guard. This, because they have proven they are stupid.

Oh really?I am sure 15 other teams would disagree including the teams QBed by one Tom Brady! Peyton has had great regular seasons only to choke in the playoffs against Ravens, Patriots and Steelers.

The Bills own his rights to the next negotiating period and have the threat of franchising him again. If they cannot come to agreement before the tag date, or negotiate a decent trade by then, they can franchise him again and they have until July 15 to trade him His best value would be before or during next year's draft. The bottom line is he is a valuable asset that they should not entertain letting go for the paltry mid round value they could get for him now, with uncertain future. Handshake agreements are not only worthless, but against the rules of the CBA. No negotiating, period.

Oh really?I am sure 15 other teams would disagree including the teams QBed by one Tom Brady! Peyton has had great regular seasons only to choke in the playoffs against Ravens, Patriots and Steelers.

No doubt. He looks a particular brand of unstoppable this year, but sure.

Do you see anyone who looks close to the Broncos right now? The X-factor will be injury.

To add: If a potential franchise LT with no restrictions on a contract extension is getting moved for a few late round picks, anyone suggesting that Byrd (who cannot be re-signed in-season) can net a first or even a second rounder is delusional.

Doesn't the FP restriction only apply to the Bills?? Wouldn't another team be able to sign him long-term right away? Anyhow, I agree with your conclusion on the compensation...

Hmmm,... hasn't Byrd and his agent blown their cred on a handshake agreement? He's handled this situation terribly, I don't think I would trust something like that

Do you see anyone who looks close to the Broncos right now? The X-factor will be injury.

That team is absolutely loaded at the receiver positions...The emergence of Julius Thomas, along with the Welker addition, makes them ridiculously deadly...

But why do I get this feeling that they make it to the SB and bad weather completely neutralizes the Broncos in NJ? Would that not be crazy? B-)

That team is absolutely loaded at the receiver positions...The emergence of Julius Thomas, along with the Welker addition, makes them ridiculously deadly...

But why do I get this feeling that they make it to the SB and bad weather completely neutralizes the Broncos in NJ? Would that not be crazy? B-)

They get bad weather in Denver, no?

Doesn't the FP restriction only apply to the Bills?? Wouldn't another team be able to sign him long-term right away? Anyhow, I agree with your conclusion on the compensation...

Nope. No one can sign him to a long-term deal before the end of the season.

Now, I could see Buffalo trading away a certain player for the right compensation. <cough Byrd> I think that will be difficult, however, as teams will not be able to negotiate a new contract with him until after the season. Risky business. There are a few teams that could REALLY use help in the secondary right now. Philadelphia and Carolina immediately come to mind.

Trading Byrd and Freeman-"step right up, Ladies and Gentlemen, right this way! Here on the right we have one of the league's best safeties. Only $6.9 million in salary and he can be yours - for the next 12 games. Pay no attention to the booboo feet sir or the word that it's long term! I'm certain his ACCOMODATING agent will be anxious to negotiate a favorable contract after the season!. Now on the left, we have a former 1st round draft pick who has played quite respectably in the league, even verging on elite at times. Throw in the right coaching and you're good to go! A bargain at only $8.3 million dollars for this season, and open to negotiation long term! Pay no attention to the rumors about missed meetings and missing leadership, the word that we might suspend him, or the pot we've stirred about drug testing, and picture this fine young man in YOUR team's uniform throwing spirals down the field.

Amazing, the sound of crickets, innit?

Edited by Hopeful

And that will always happen (injuries) and the Patriots and Ravens have the way of adjusting in the 2nd half of the season and finding ways to dominate games. Heck, the Patriots with all their weak links are 4-0, the same record as the Denver Broncos.

I really can't see the Bills giving up picks this year to bring in a player. Some might contend that it would be worth giving up a couple picks to bring in a better OG to replace Brown, but I think that Marrone and Whaley are content with what they have right now.

I agree.

I think the Bills aren't in a position where they think they are one player away. I also don't think they are a team that needs a total rebuild.

If you can get quality for a player like Byrd who the FO has had problems resigning that's one thing. Otherwise, all this talk about trading any of our core offense players is just ridiculous.

I think O line (and Guard specifically) is the one place worth making a trade, not necessarily because we're going anywhere this year, but because protecting EJ better now should help him grow into a better QB in the future.

Trading Byrd and Freeman-"step right up, Ladies and Gentlemen, right this way! Here on the right we have one of the league's best safeties. Only $6.9 million in salary and he can be yours - for the next 12 games. Pay no attention to the booboo feet sir or the word that it's long term! I'm certain his ACCOMODATING agent will be anxious to negotiate a favorable contract after the season!. Now on the left, we have a former 1st round draft pick who has played quite respectably in the league, even verging on elite at times. Throw in the right coaching and you're good to go! A bargain at only $8.3 million dollars for this season, and open to negotiation long term! Pay no attention to the rumors about missed meetings and missing leadership, the word that we might suspend him, or the pot we've stirred about drug testing, and picture this fine young man in YOUR team's uniform throwing spirals down the field.

Amazing, the sound of crickets, innit?

Comparing Byrd and Freeman's potential trade value is like comparing watermelons and squirrels. Byrd is a top 5 safety, and Freeman....well lets just say that he is not very good. I agree with you, however, and stated in my original post that trading him will be difficult because teams can't negotiate a contract until after the season.

Comparing Byrd and Freeman's potential trade value is like comparing watermelons and squirrels. Byrd is a top 5 safety, and Freeman....well lets just say that he is not very good. I agree with you, however, and stated in my original post that trading him will be difficult because teams can't negotiate a contract until after the season.

I think you made your point with this. :lol:

yes. Watermelons are real squishy, like our Tin Man.

Q: When do you go at red and stop at green? A: When you're eating a watermelon.

This watermelon in this case is very, very thin skinned, (Little green)

I think O line (and Guard specifically) is the one place worth making a trade, not necessarily because we're going anywhere this year, but because protecting EJ better now should help him grow into a better QB in the future.

This might be the best argument for a trade. But, I doubt it will happen.

Regarding Monroe, he'll want big bucks on the open market this year. I'm a bit surprised Baltimore traded for him, considering they aren't a SB threat, they're not an OT away from being a contender, and Oher is also a FA at the end of this year. I can't see them re-signing both OTs, not with their tough cap situation. Plus they've got more guys like Dennis Pitta who are also headed to FA next offseason.