Kneeling Down

saundena

What I'd like to know is why they didn't run the ball on 1st or 2nd downs. What was Marrone planning on doing when he was going to be forced to snap the ball on 4th down with 5 seconds left? Safety? Squib kick? Just punt it away?

He obviously didn't want to risk a fumble so he had EJ drop back and kneel when defender got close which prob ran off same amount of time if they did run the ball

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1. Bad game management. If they ran two plays they could've just kneeled down on third down and run it out.

Any other game I've EVER seen, in that situation you run the ball for the first down (or not, and punt and force the other team to get down the field quickly).

That whole "not kneel down, personal foul" sequence of downs was just weird all around.

I was there for this one:

(Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass deep middle to S.Nelson to BUF 45 for 4 yards (R.Lewis). FUMBLES (R.Lewis), RECOVERED by BLT-R.Lewis at BUF 45.

About 15 seconds After Shawn Nelson's forward progression was stopped Ray Lewis and gang ripped the ball out.

Bills lose.

The Kneel down isn't so silly.

http://scores.espn.g...024033&period=5

Edited by Why So Serious?

(Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass deep middle to S.Nelson to BUF 45 for 4 yards (R.Lewis). FUMBLES (R.Lewis), RECOVERED by BLT-R.Lewis at BUF 45.

About 15 seconds After Shawn Nelson's forward progression was stopped Ray Lewis and gang ripped the ball out.

Bills lose.

haha oh man. Wasn't that during our 0-8 start season?

Bills lose.

yes, that was a terrible call, should have blown the whistle .... JH, what goes around comes around

A QB should also not be tap dancing in the back field taking his sweet ass time doing a kneel down. If his helmet doesn't come off, which I don't think Suggs did intentionally (I don't think he touched his head), then it's not called a penalty. Bills got lucky. Should have ran the ball, even with the oh so scary possibility of fumbling. Good teams finish off other teams. They don't do gimmicky plays with faux kneel downs in the backfield risking gettin you QB injured.

So how do you think Manuel's helmet came off? Ejector seat?

I was fine with the kneel-down strategy. I don't think running the ball would've gotten more than a yard or two, and I don't think any "safe" runs would have taken enough time off the clock to avoid a punt on 4th down. If you accept those premises, then kneeling down is the right move, because it greatly lowers the risk of a fumble or injury.

What I'd like to know is why they didn't run the ball on 1st or 2nd downs. What was Marrone planning on doing when he was going to be forced to snap the ball on 4th down with 5 seconds left? Safety? Squib kick? Just punt it away?

1978 Miricle in the Medowlands, that's why.

+1. Bad game management. If they ran two plays they could've just kneeled down on third down and run it out.

You do realize a kneel down is a play too right? They did run two plays...kneel downs....which are the same as a run. The fact EJ went back further accounted for the extra second or two a handoff would eat up without the risk of a fumble. How people are puzzled by this is beyond me.

Imagine if they don't get the penalty and our crappy punter shanks it or something and the Ravens take a free kick FG to tie! Oh my! It would be very "Bills like"... Aren't the Bills the last team to have this donw to them successfully? '76 or something?

Marrone was really messing around w/neagtive Bills mojo and got away with one... Thanks to Suggs the thug!

You do realize a kneel down is a play too right? They did run two plays...kneel downs....which are the same as a run. The fact EJ went back further accounted for the extra second or two a handoff would eat up without the risk of a fumble. How people are puzzled by this is beyond me.

See my post above... Say they mismanage a fee seconds and have to punt... Going backwards on the kneel down is actually putting the Ravens in striking distance for a tieing kick in how I explained. Am I wrong? Flirting with disaster...

And God knows the Bills punter can get dicey!

ummm no one is complaining that Harbaugh took 30 seconds off the clock then called a time out with 5 seconds left in the game .. That trumped the Bills clock management faux paux