Some teams can't wear throwbacks due to safety concerns

PromoTheRobot

Didn't they have this same exact problem a while back (maybe mid-90s)? The Bills wound up wearing a red helmet with the white standing Buffalo on it as a "throwback" during an NFL anniversary year.

Not exactly. IIRC, the team was still wearing the red helmets back then, and didn't want to switch back to white helmets just for one game. Probably too much of a change to get used to. So they just decided to invert the old design, and go with the white standing Buffalo on a red helmet.

Can't they do a "skin" over the pewter helmet... Like how they change whole vehicles w/wild themes. Take the face maskoff and place the helmet shaped vinyl "skin" over the helmet with the creamsicle & Bucco Bruce theme... Then hit with a heat gun. Put facemask back on. To take it off... Snip it and peel it off. Better yet, just have a tear away strip built right in! Come on, this is the NFL.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Can't they do a "skin" over the pewter helmet... Like how they change whole vehicles w/wild themes. Take the face maskoff and place the helmet shaped vinyl "skin" over the helmet with the creamsicle & Bucco Bruce theme... Then hit with a heat gun. Put facemask back on. To take it off... Snip it and peel it off. Better yet, just have a tear away strip built right in! Come on, this is the NFL.

You'd end up with half the players with both colors on their helmets. The vinyl would peel and shred with contact, especially in the trenches.

You guys are missing the point. This decision isn't about helmets at all (like they could fit a player with a 2nd proper helmet of any color). The National Association of Retired Pirates & Buccaneers (NARPB) is protesting the use of the stereotypical pirate emblem. At a presser yesterday NARPB Chairman Pegleg Redbeard said, "I am appalled that the NFL should group us with the likes of Redskins, Cowboys and Vikings. We demand the name of the team along with all associated images be changed immediately!... Shiver me timbers, Matey."

Not exactly. IIRC, the team was still wearing the red helmets back then, and didn't want to switch back to white helmets just for one game. Probably too much of a change to get used to. So they just decided to invert the old design, and go with the white standing Buffalo on a red helmet.

I must have phrased it poorly, but that's exactly what I meant. They wore red helmets at that point, so instead of switching to a white throwback helmet, they just slapped a white standing buffalo on the red helmets.

Wait, "fitting" helmets then not having to "refit" them all season? What? How many times do these players have to have the air bladders in their helmets reinflated/adjusted during the course of the season? Equipment managers are constantly "refitting" helmets. Ugh. Classic knee jerk reaction.

You guys are missing the point. This decision isn't about helmets at all (like they could fit a player with a 2nd proper helmet of any color). The National Association of Retired Pirates & Buccaneers (NARPB) is protesting the use of the stereotypical pirate emblem. At a presser yesterday NARPB Chairman Pegleg Redbeard said, "I am appalled that the NFL should group us with the likes of Redskins, Cowboys and Vikings. We demand the name of the team along with all associated images be changed immediately!... Shiver me timbers, Matey."

Just in time for Talk Like A Pirate Day also.

the Canucks have something to say about that

Canucks+Ugly+2.jpggal_uniforms_canucks_1.jpg?w=183&h=300

"Canucks" is an offensive term. We should not allow the entire state of Canada to be made fun of in this manner. Its the largest state in America, after all.

We should storm the Canadian white house, or parliament, or whatever, and DEMAND that it be changed, eh?

Edited by maddenboy

"Canucks" is an offensive term. We should not allow the entire state of Canada to be made fun of in this manner. Its the largest state in America, after all.

We should storm the Canadian white house, or parliament, or whatever, and DEMAND that it be changed, eh?

IMO, "Canuck" is on par w/"Yankee." Just my two cents. It can be derogatory or it can be endearing.

ARGH Matey!

Hey, who are you calling matey?

Can't we just write our congressperson?