Easely over TJ

What does Easely have to do to get a shot with this offense? Because TJ just isn't showing me enough, especially for a WR who's playing HALF of the offensive snaps. GIve me a 6' 2 217lb wr who played well in preseason over a 5-11 188lb wr who has underperformed thus far( 1 catch 8 yds, 1 rush 5 yds). I think giving EJ four big targets (SJ, Woods, Chandler and Easely) is the right call. Thoughts? Sorry if this was already discussed...

I thought it was interesting that Hogan was on the field for SJ's TD...swapping speed for posession? Easley could have been used? I would think if there was something up they would have thrown the towel in on him and gone with a younger player...great hit on special teams though...

I wouldn't be surprised if they got Easley in there more often. Especially in the red zone.

However, Hogan is no joke in the Red Zone either.

Specifically, on the last play? Hogan beat his man cleanly. He would have been open for the slant, if the inside cover guy didn't leave SJ, and move towards him. The inside guy never looked for the ball, and simply ran to cover Hogan's rout.

I really don't understand why we aren't getting the ball to all of these guys, or designing plays for them. It seems this is a symptom of reducing the playbook. I think we'll see all of the WRs contribute on O before the season is out.

The worst is: I don't see them opening up the playbook for the next 2 games either. Jets and Ravens D probably mean: more conservative calls.

Is it a speed thing? Graham is easily the fastest WR so maybe the bills want one 'burner' out on the wing? ?It is obvious that 13 and 10 are #1 and #2.

Easley ran a 4.39 in the 40, so I would not guess speed is the issue. Graham is a little bit faster, but Easley can stretch the field with that speed as well.

Easley is like a folk legend around these parts. I agree, I'd rather see Easley on the field too but keep some things in mind.

1) There seems to be a need/feel that Graham has more value than Easley. They were only drafted 1 round apart. Graham 3rd rounder Easley 4th

2) Graham did get behind his man consistently. E.J. failed to get him the ball

3) Graham's speed on the field helps to open up all of that dink and dunk stuff that the Bills offense seems to be based on.

4) E.J. throws more check downs than Trentative....so it won't really matter anyway.

TJ was running wide open on a majority of plays during the final TD drive. On the throw that ended up as an interception, that was reversed because of the PI, TJ was wide, wide open.

Last week he beat his man for what could have been a TD had EJ not thrown the ball out of bounds.

I agree that his production has been dissapointing, but it's not just on him.

I haven't read every comment so it might have been said.

On the long ball to TJ yesterday, he was open and had a step. He had no idea and didnt turn around fast enough to look for the ball (his own fault)

But I also noticed in other plays he was wide open in the 2nd half many other times. Now, of that's EJs fault for not trusting him, or for not getting through his progressions fast enough, or of another WR was also open and EJ made the okay somewhere else. All these options are possible. I'm not ready to give up yet. The missed long ball yesterday is proof that he's getting open deep. Maybe EJ just needs to work on timing with him a bit. Either way, I'm ok with giving it another game or 2 to find out for sure.

Easley is like a folk legend around these parts. I agree, I'd rather see Easley on the field too but keep some things in mind.

1) There seems to be a need/feel that Graham has more value than Easley. They were only drafted 1 round apart. Graham 3rd rounder Easley 4th

2) Graham did get behind his man consistently. E.J. failed to get him the ball

3) Graham's speed on the field helps to open up all of that dink and dunk stuff that the Bills offense seems to be based on.

4) E.J. throws more check downs than Trentative....so it won't really matter anyway.

This argument was used a lot when Lee Evans' career took a nose dive. Good deep threats often act as diversions, yes, to occupy a CB and a safety. But don't we want a guy that can actually catch the ball too?

Like Big Cat says there has to be something more going on because as outsiders it seems like an obvious no brainer to start working Easley in on TJ's reps. Or even Hogan if there is a confidence issue with Easley.

That Keuchly INT was a good example of how little speedsters can be such a liability out there. When your rookie qb is staring you down like EJ did on that one (yikes), you MUST come back to the ball instead of standing there waiting for it like TJ did.

If Carolina wasn't so geeked on trying to hit the long balls to Ginn yesterday and focused on passing to their TE and Smith more we probably lose that game.

I'll take the possession bigger guys that use their body to shield the defender and make the play. I think TJ has blackmail pictures of Ralph naked or something (sorry for the visual)

What does Easely have to do to get a shot with this offense? Because TJ just isn't showing me enough, especially for a WR who's playing HALF of the offensive snaps. GIve me a 6' 2 217lb wr who played well in preseason over a 5-11 188lb wr who has underperformed thus far( 1 catch 8 yds, 1 rush 5 yds). I think giving EJ four big targets (SJ, Woods, Chandler and Easely) is the right call. Thoughts? Sorry if this was already discussed...

Were you one of the guys who used to clamor regularly for the coaching staff to start Brian Brohm ? ;-) The question to ask is : "Has Easley shown enough to coaches during practice to merit giving him that spot over TJ?" . I would suspect the answer still is "No".

TJ is clearly not Marrone's choice, but Nix/Whaley's. They told him to anoint TJ a starter and that he'll be the next Mike Wallace. They need a reality check, it's not going to happen. Easely has had very few chances over 3 seasons, but still managed to show some playmaking ability over many preseasons. TJ was the exact opposite. He has been targeted over 60 times and yet, still hasn't shown anything special. One thing he HAS shown is that he's willing to drop a ball if it means not getting hit.

I thought it was interesting that Hogan was on the field for SJ's TD...swapping speed for posession? Easley could have been used? I would think if there was something up they would have thrown the towel in on him and gone with a younger player...great hit on special teams though...

Better hands on Hogan than Easley? That last play was a possession-type play, not a speed play.

It doesn't look like EJ trusts TJ like he does Stevie and Woods. I can't say I really blame him when TJ doesn't try to make a play on the ball, even if it's underthrown. The WGR guys were saying Graham was getting over in the 2nd half, but EJ wasn't looking his way. I'd like to see them get on the same page to see some productivity.

I don't expect Easely to light the league on fire, but given his strong play on special teams and the fact that we are getting no production from WRs not named Johnson or Woods, I think Easely has earned a chance. Hes making big plays in his limited role, so lets see if he can make some plays at WR. TJ isn't giving us anything so far.

TJ is clearly not Marrone's choice, but Nix/Whaley's. They told him to anoint TJ a starter and that he'll be the next Mike Wallace. They need a reality check, it's not going to happen. Easely has had very few chances over 3 seasons, but still managed to show some playmaking ability over many preseasons. TJ was the exact opposite. He has been targeted over 60 times and yet, still hasn't shown anything special. One thing he HAS shown is that he's willing to drop a ball if it means not getting hit.

Wait....

Easley

IR year 1

IR year 2---heart thing

PS to start year 3, on the roster to close it.

Easley hasnt been given the chance.

I would like it if they gave Easley a shot. He does have speed.

Here's my gripe: Graham's gift is speed. But not route running, just go routes down the sideline. That's all good and well, but when your best route is a risky throw down the sidelines which usually has to be on the money and over a CB under a safety, it's not the best for a rookie QB. We need possession WR in there and I think Easely is much more suited for that.

Here's my gripe: Graham's gift is speed. But not route running, just go routes down the sideline. That's all good and well, but when your best route is a risky throw down the sidelines which usually has to be on the money and over a CB under a safety, it's not the best for a rookie QB. We need possession WR in there and I think Easely is much more suited for that.

Wait, what's logic and reasoned argument got to do with this? I thought we were busy hijacking the thread with speculation on how the front office is strong-arming the coaches and meddling with the roster?

I would expect goal line formations to favor size, strength and hands.

All I can say is there must be more to the story.

When a guy can't find the field under two consecutive coaching regimes, something's going on.

He's been injured or on IR for most of his career. This is his first healthy season. Plus there is a hierarchy among players. TJ was a draftee so he gets a little more rope.

PTR

I haven't read every comment so it might have been said.

On the long ball to TJ yesterday, he was open and had a step. He had no idea and didnt turn around fast enough to look for the ball (his own fault)

But I also noticed in other plays he was wide open in the 2nd half many other times. Now, of that's EJs fault for not trusting him, or for not getting through his progressions fast enough, or of another WR was also open and EJ made the okay somewhere else. All these options are possible. I'm not ready to give up yet. The missed long ball yesterday is proof that he's getting open deep. Maybe EJ just needs to work on timing with him a bit. Either way, I'm ok with giving it another game or 2 to find out for sure.

Agreed. As fans we like to blame bad plays on one player but often it is two or more players that make mistakes. On the bomb, it was a terrible throw by EJ but it was a terrible effort and ability to track the ball by TJ. On the INT, it was a terrible throw by EJ. But TJ just stood there and didn't attack the ball like Keuchly did. At the very least he could have caused an INC instead of an INT. That said, TJ got open numerous times in the game. He has some talent and obvious speed. But his head is not in the game it seems to me. There is hope for him but I would like to see Easley in there.

Agreed. As fans we like to blame bad plays on one player but often it is two or more players that make mistakes. On the bomb, it was a terrible throw by EJ but it was a terrible effort and ability to track the ball by TJ. On the INT, it was a terrible throw by EJ. But TJ just stood there and didn't attack the ball like Keuchly did. At the very least he could have caused an INC instead of an INT. That said, TJ got open numerous times in the game. He has some talent and obvious speed. But his head is not in the game it seems to me. There is hope for him but I would like to see Easley in there.

glad to see we see the same thing on this one. I also would like to see some Easley as well. Think we lack a big physical WR at this point and he would provide that to us. Would be ok if Chandler would step up but he seems to drop lol a sack of bricks when he gets hit. So because of that, we really don't have anyone physical catching the ball.

At the same time, he's playing so well on STs I almost don't want to mess with that.

All I can say is there must be more to the story.

When a guy can't find the field under two consecutive coaching regimes, something's going on.

I believe this is year number 4 for Easley two years right of the bat can be eliminated, from his broken leg and heart condition. I'd love for them to give him a chance, he seems like he might have finally found his groove as a receiver, though the fact that he has been a really good gunner on special teams thus far might have something to do with it. Edited by billrooter

TJ has the gift of speed, which this coaching staff loves, but he is beyond raw as a route runner. Don't recall which quarter, but one of the deep balls that EJ missed was up the R sideline to Graham. TJ ran a horrible excuse for an out and up. Didn't fool the DB one bit on the out fake. TJ got a step on him eventually due to his speed, but his poor route made EJ hold on to that one a second longer and he had to lead him a bit extra because the DB was still on his hip. I can see why EJ is reluctant with Graham, his routes are flat out bad. Compare that with Woods, who glides through his routes like a seasoned vet already.

What I dont understand is how some people think that they are better talent evaluators by watching what TV shows. The coaches see all the game film in more angles and are present at the practices as well.

What am I missing?

Edited by artmalibu

Woods was "dinged" while blocking on the Manual scramble to the 2-yard line. I was bummed he went off the field on his own because I thought EJ was going to hit him for the winning TD. I have to say, Hogan was ready in a nanosecond and in position FAST. It was not a coaching replacement.

Edited by ElMarko

I remember in OTA's and early in training camp all we were hearing was how TJ was lighting it up. Certainly that has an impact on the coaching staff's decision. Also, when he was performing well, I remember the description being that it looked like EJ had overthrown TJ but he somehow managed to put on the jets and track it down. That is what you want him to do. Not sure why all the throws to TJ now are short....maybe it is timing issue, maybe EJ is being too careful in game situations, maybe it is because of the rush...but I think for this offence to work, it needs that kind of threat. No, the throws aren't working now...and the offense is not working very well now. However, you don't give up on your offense two weeks in the season...especially when you have a bunch of young players who are learning.

Except in special games (like any time the Bills played the Steelers), Don Beebe was not catching a ton of balls....but he caught enough deep balls to make the opponent nervous about the threat...which opened things up in a fast paced offense for the likes of Reed, and Thomas and Metzelaars.

What I dont understand is how some people think that they are better talent evaluators by watching what TV shows. The coaches see all the game film in more angles and are present at the practices as well.

What am I missing?

Your point is well taken, and for the most part you're right, but sometimes coaches make the wrong decision for a number of reasons. Let's not forget there was a time when James Hardy and Lee Evans were starting and Stevie was on the PS.

Your point is well taken, and for the most part you're right, but sometimes coaches make the wrong decision for a number of reasons. Let's not forget there was a time when James Hardy and Lee Evans were starting and Stevie was on the PS.

Wow! That really puts things into perspective.

Now that I think about it, there was a similar pleed from Bills fan to give Stevie some reps based on his pre season and very limited action he received. I really think Easley can be a really good receiver. But like another poster said, this is the second group of coaches. And if they aren't putting him in there must be a reason.