Johnny Manziel RULES!!! Declares for NFL draft

Tebow won the Heisman, and two national championships. He's not a starting NFL QB and neither is Johnnie Football. He's exciting to watch, but wait til he sees the speed of defensive players, and he'll have to learn to be a pocket passer.

I would never waste a #1 pick on a guy like him. I still see the best guys in the game are pocket passers who are incredibly accurate, make al the throws, and can go through their progressions.

I can't believe anyone who has watched him say he has demonstratd anything that would suggest he could make the tight throws like Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rothlesberger, Rivers, stafford, Romo, Ryan, E. Manning, and so on.

Those guys looked more like NFL QB's in college not that they didn't grow over their first four years.

I don't want him. Bridgewater, and Bortles looks like they could be developed to NFL guys.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tebow won the Heisman, and two national championships. He's not a starting NFL QB and neither is Johnnie Football. He's exciting to watch, but wait til he sees the speed of defensive players, and he'll have to learn to be a pocket passer.

I would never waste a #1 pick on a guy like him. I still see the best guys in the game are pocket passers who are incredibly accurate, make al the throws, and can go through their progressions.

I can't believe anyone who has watched him say he has demonstratd anything that would suggest he could make the tight throws like Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rothlesberger, Rivers, stafford, Romo, Ryan, E. Manning, and so on.

Those guys looked more like NFL QB's in college not that they didn't grow over their first four years.

I don't want him. Bridgewater, and Bortles looks like they could be developed to NFL guys.

Stafford makes tight throws?

He's the player who can make the most impact in the draft. He won't be there when the Bills pick, unfortunately.

Yeah that South East Conference is horrible, those bums never win championships or anything, friggin losers.

I don't think JFF will be a good NFL QB but arguing his strength of schedule is pretty hilarious. The SEC is the top conference by a country mile, Auburn was slated to be the a bottom feeder and lost the 'ship by 4 which IMO says a lot about how good the conference is from top to bottom.

Manziel is not an NFL QB

I disagree. In the right situation he certainly has the tools to excel. My worry is more about all the distraction and extra-curricular that comes with the Manziel package and there is no way he would be happy being in a small market IMO.

I admit that I am no scout and that I've seen only a few of his games, but even with immaturity issues aside, I don't know how well his game will translate to the NFL. Again only from what I've seen, many of his big plays are broken play runs and I think he'll find NFL defenders are faster. I think that his arm is OK, but he doesn't seem to throw a tight spiral and ducks die in strong winds. I also think that he lobbed a lot of passes up high that hung in the air and were complete because he had a big 6'5" receiver to bail him out. Now, to his credit, he knew that he could throw those passes and get away with it, but I wonder what he'd look like without that advantage.

I have been watching Manziel for the past two years. I live in Texas and have seen and heard pretty much everything about him. His ups and downs. For a franchise like the Bills he is a win/win in my opinion. He is a money maker off the field with his promotions and trade name "Johnny Football" and he is must see TV when he plays (its like a train wreck when you pass on a highway you don't want to look but you have to and that is the way he is when he plays football) love him or hate him this dude can play. I saw earlier a poster comment "the next spiral he throws will be his first" when was the last time you saw P. Manning throw a perfect spiral? But Peyton gets the ball where it needs to be and in a position for his player to make a play, so does Johnny. I don't know how he will be at the next level but I do know he is a football player. The Aggies lost a lot of heart breakers this year, but the only reason why they were in every game was because of Johnny. People question whether or not he will be able to take a hit at the next level, I don't I see him get hit and hit again against top teams in college (Ala, La, Miss, Auburn) so he can take a hit, plus he has great body control that the hit's he takes aren't as bad as they seem. Take him if he is there no doubt he will put butts in the seats and sell jersey's

I admit that I am no scout and that I've seen only a few of his games, but even with immaturity issues aside, I don't know how well his game will translate to the NFL. Again only from what I've seen, many of his big plays are broken play runs and I think he'll find NFL defenders are faster. I think that his arm is OK, but he doesn't seem to throw a tight spiral and ducks die in strong winds. I also think that he lobbed a lot of passes up high that hung in the air and were complete because he had a big 6'5" receiver to bail him out. Now, to his credit, he knew that he could throw those passes and get away with it, but I wonder what he'd look like without that advantage.

I've seen more than half of his games this year and I concur with this analysis. There were a lot of jump balls that Evans bailed him out on, a lot of broken down runs that got him 20 yards plus that will get stopped for no gain in the NFL and a lot of plays where his ability to get out of the pocket when plays break down resulted in botched coverages and wide open recievers. In the NFL I think he will find defensive backs are far better at staying with receivers when things break down.

He has some talent as a football player, but so does Tim Tebow and he is out of the NFL partly because his game doesn't translate and partly because he brings the circus to town with him. Now I think Manziel is a better passer than Tebow, but I still don't see a true NFL passer there when I watch him throw... so it then comes down to whether his other elements translate and I don't think they do. I think going to Cleveland (which most experts now seem to expect) would be a bad land spot for him. If there is a way to make Jonny Manziel an NFL Quarterback it's actually the Tebow way (where you let him sit whilst you are working out exactly what you have with him and then come up with a pretty unique playbook to use his talents).

My thoughts exactly.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9521439/heisman-winner-johnny-manziel-celebrity-derail-texas-aggies-season-espn-magazine

and i know its been on the board before, and might even be in this thread, but the major ESPN profile from last summer - for those looking to get to know his personality, good bad or ugly - theres a little bit of all of it covered.

I have watched him play. He is like Flutie is his ability to create when plays break down. His arm is average which is not a bad thing I you throw wisely. Granted he had a tall WR in Mike Evans (6-5) to throw to. Johnny might grow and mature as a person and become a good player. There is something about him that, in the back of my mind, says stay away. I felt the same way about Tim Tebow and his draft. It might be moot because Houston is in need of a QB and might select him at Number 1.

Manziel is a special player. There's no predicting how he will fare in the NFL, but I know that I would certainly take a chance on him. He will be a top 5 pick maybe top 3. Certainly not lacking for confidence.

I liken him to D. Flutie, but more athletic. Very, very savvy. He could be the next B. Favre.

This is a guy who is worth going after.

The Bills need a difference-maker at QB more than anything else.

I've seen him play a lot. He's very exciting to watch. He has a real presence to him. He loves the limelight and is not afraid to put the game on his shoulders. The Bills should have tanked to get this guy.

If I were the Bills' GM I would bring him in to compete with Manuel. That would double our chances of finally landing a franchise QB.

I disagree. In the right situation he certainly has the tools to excel. My worry is more about all the distraction and extra-curricular that comes with the Manziel package and there is no way he would be happy being in a small market IMO.

Plays hard partys hard.

When it comes down to Football he works hard and gets down to business. His coach said he is the hardest working and most competitive person he has ever been around. So not worried about off field stuff, he is a leader and players follow him and makes those around him better. If we get him we can't lose and this frriggin drought will be over.

Plays hard partys hard.

When it comes down to Football he works hard and gets down to business. His coach said he is the hardest working and most competitive person he has ever been around. So not worried about off field stuff, he is a leader and players follow him and makes those around him better. If we get him we can't lose and this frriggin drought will be over.

And we all know successful QBs are known for partying hard.

I've seen very little of Manziel but he seems like he's got certain gifts that make him very different from other QBs.

I previously described him as a 6'1" 200 pound, 20 year-old Flutie.

That was meant as a high compliment because I'm a huge Flutie fan.

I don't think he's even 6'. I did love Flutie but it took him a lot time to make it in the league. Also, much like Vick, teams did adjust to his style and he became very average. I could see JF having a few good games, Buffalo Barbarbian and ESPN going crazy, and then him completely fizzling out.

I've seen him play a lot. He's very exciting to watch. He has a real presence to him. He loves the limelight and is not afraid to put the game on his shoulders. The Bills should have tanked to get this guy.

If I were the Bills' GM I would bring him in to compete with Manuel. That would double our chances of finally landing a franchise QB.

:lol:

I don't think he's even 6'. I did love Flutie but it took him a lot time to make it in the league. Also, much like Vick, teams did adjust to his style and he became very average. I could see JF having a few good games, Buffalo Barbarbian and ESPN going crazy, and then him completely fizzling out.

i know hes another one of the guys (much like vick) that mike greenberg always talks about being surprised just how small he is. they have said several times on mike and mike that theres no way hes near his listed measurements. the combine should be interesting for seeing if thats accurate.

i know hes another one of the guys (much like vick) that mike greenberg always talks about being surprised just how small he is. they have said several times on mike and mike that theres no way hes near his listed measurements. the combine should be interesting for seeing if thats accurate.

Agreed and I definitely think he's fun to watch. I also think it's important to point out he's in an offense that made Case Keenum the all time leading passer in college. Keenum hardly light it up in the NFL on a good Texans offense.

Seriously, if Johnny becomes a good NFL QB, I will gladly eat a ton of crow. I just don't see it and he strikes me in the Cutler/ Jeff George mold of a pouter/ cry baby when things don't go his way. We'll see and it will be interesting.

And we all know successful QBs are known for partying hard.

I love how Herbstriet said he is the next "Brett Favre." Um... not even close to his size. But yes, he is a gamblin' gunslinger.

His arm isn't close to Farve's either. Favre would fire lazers into double and triple coverage. Johnny throws jump balls.

maybe they meant the drug addiction struggles, and texting debacles? (juuuust joking, as i said earlier, id love to eat crow on this)

maybe they meant the drug addiction struggles, and texting debacles? (juuuust joking, as i said earlier, id love to eat crow on this)

I think Farve's came after he was well established as a good QB right? Some people hate him but Farve is easily one of my favorite QBs ever. IMO, it's an insult to Farve to compare him to Johnny Football.

Which will be problematic when he plays at the Ralph during the winter months

CBF

Great point. Can you imagine Johnny Football throwing the ball like EJ did against the Jets in the Ralph? One thing no one can question is EJ's arm strength. It's too much sometimes.

I think Farve's came after he was well established as a good QB right? Some people hate him but Farve is easily one of my favorite QBs ever. IMO, it's an insult to Farve to compare him to Johnny Football.

From what I remember, Favre had drinking/partying issues as a rookie which led to him getting traded from ATL. The vicodin came later after he was established, as did the cheating, texting, etc. You can say they are both risk/reward types but saying he is the next Favre ... :thumbdown:

Great point. Can you imagine Johnny Football throwing the ball like EJ did against the Jets in the Ralph? One thing no one can question is EJ's arm strength. It's too much sometimes.

EJ has a cannon. JFF sometimes throws these loopy balls.... its like you cringe wondering what is going to happen. No thanks.

Will be crushed like a paper doll in the NFL. Everybody is big and fast. He is little and fast. And I don't think the players will like his additude.

Yep, those SEC defenders are small and slow. None of them could make it in the NFL. Very solid take.