How will Marquis Goodwin do?

luckydog31

I'm really up on this guy.

He seems to be very physical for his size, aggressively blocking. Since he won't be a liability on running plays, I think Goodwin will get a LOT of playing time this year, more than many people think. This puts him ahead of TJ Graham in my book.

He seems mature and like a great kid. Who knows what his ceiling is? I'm excited to watch him grow. What's not to like?

Oh... for fantasy football. It's always good to keep a player or two on your bench that might take off during the season. These are the guys you dump when you have a more pressing need.

For Week one, my take:

• Worst case: 2 rec, 12 yard
  • Best case: 6 rec, 131 yards, 1 TD
  • Best guess: 3 rec 35 yards

I give him a ~20% chance of scoring a TD this week, if that's what you're focused on. ~2% chance of scoring 2 TD.

There's a lot of evidence that he can't catch and isn't a natural receiver. He did a lot of carrying in college instead of receiving. He looked so raw in preseason. The play where he scratched his eye was very telling. He had his man beat but he couldn't adjust to find the football. He was running zig-zags while Lienart threw a perfect pass. The INT from Kolb was on Goodwin. He had a bomb go off his hands from Tuel vs Redskins. The bad WR play is piling up, but his returns were stellar. I hope he works primarily as a KR and I'd love to see a reverse or 2 to set up a fake rerverse. He's the fastest guy on team, but I don't see how they'll get him the ball.

Good. Win.

That was the title of the Bills/Indy recap "Goodwin for Bills"

Depends on how the game goes really. If they are playing catch up most of the game I can see a lot of balls thrown his way (or any receivers way for that matter). Otherwise I think we run as much as possible to take away the clock (TOP).

Edited by The Wiz

What are Goodwins chances to score a TD this weekend? I'm planning on starting him on my fantasy team even though Sportsline says only 2% are. I just think they have been practicing those bombs so much you have to think they will use that with him.

I'm excited about his potential.

That said, you're making a very common Fantasy Football mistake. You cannot allow Homer to control your Fantasy team, you'll end up bitter and confused.

Good luck!

History will repeat itself. The Bills will be in the lead with under two minutes left and Goodwin will opt to return a kick from the end zone instead of taking a knee. He will cross the twenty, get held up and fumble the ball. Pats recover and score the winning TD. Bills fan will take heart in a good loss.

The INT from Kolb was on Goodwin.

That play drove me crazy because that is what the announcer, Tasker, who is criminally bad and wrong, kept saying. And it was total nonsense. That INT was 100% on Kolb. Yes, Goodwin didn't get separation and didn't get open, but the pass was two yards behind him regardless. If he did get separation he would have been further away. It was a terrible, terrible pass and not close to being Goodwin's fault (unless he went completely the wrong way, which Tasker, you and I would have no way of knowing). Tasker's explanation of that play was atrocious. It's absolutely amazing he has the job he does, because he's the worst analyst in the game, IMO, and I love the guy.

In training camp, Goodwin consistently made great reactions to the ball in the air, and showed pretty decent hands, too. In the Senior Bowl he consistently beat the CBs off the line and not with just speed. On his returns he showed some football moves in addition to straight line speed.

That said, I don't expect him to be much of a factor in his first couple games as a WR. I doubt he will even play much. I don't expect much from him in his rookie season. I'm not even sure he will be a very good KR. But he has some real talent and not just speed. I hope I'm wrong and he scores, of course.

That play drove me crazy because that is what the announcer, Tasker, who is criminally bad and wrong, kept saying. And it was total nonsense. That INT was 100% on Kolb.

I guess I shouldn't blame Flash for that one. Kolb made a bad throw, and your right, Tasker makes a lot of stupid assessments. I just think a more physical receiver would have been able to make a play on it or at least prevent the INT, and I think he's far off from being a starter or a good fantasy pick.

Don't know -- he appears to be a No. 4 WR, so probably not much -- but I'm starting SJ this week.

On another note, the guy right before me in Rd. 1 picked CJ--at No. 4 no less--thought he would be mine at 5 no problem. $#%*! Not quite used to having Bills players go that high.

I picked Cj at 3.. I had CJ last year and won my 12 team league and he's only going to get more touches so had to take him.

I can't see how Goodwin has any value at this point of the season. Woods seems like a much better option. He's still FA in most leagues..

I'm excited about his potential.

That said, you're making a very common Fantasy Football mistake. You cannot allow Homer to control your Fantasy team, you'll end up bitter and confused.

Good luck!

Most years I fall victim to this and grab a bunch of Bills guys. This year I got Spiller and nobody else. I also grabbed Peyton Manning as my QB so I'm riding high today!

Most years I fall victim to this and grab a bunch of Bills guys. This year I got Spiller and nobody else. I also grabbed Peyton Manning as my QB so I'm riding high today!

This year I only have one Bill taken in the last round. Goodwin in one and Bills D in the other.

What are Goodwins chances to score a TD this weekend? I'm planning on starting him on my fantasy team even though Sportsline says only 2% are. I just think they have been practicing those bombs so much you have to think they will use that with him.

You are nuts to even consider starting a team 4th WR. He is so raw right now... a true homer... Goodwin will catch 30-35 passes all yr. He's very FAR from being a full time WR and was a 3rd WR even in college. The only Bill who is a must start is CJ. Stevie is a #3 at best fantasy WR and if u are gonna take a flyer on someone in late rounds, Woods is the guy to go for. By end of yr, Woods may overtake Stevie as the #1 on team. But GOODWIN??????? He's a returner and will see the field in only 4 WR sets or for a specific package for a play or 2 in 3 WR sets.

The Pats will crowd the line of scrimmage until EJ proves he is up to the job. With little room to run or throw short why not take some early shots down the field to the speedster? Goodwin could have a monster day. Lets roll the dice.

I'm expecting to see him in just a handful of plays, but I hope the Bills can find a way to use him on motion plays, screens, reverses and such....... Than BANG!!!! Wheel, streak or seam route TO THE HOUSE!!!!!! I don't need to see him out there every play, of every down. But I need him to be used, ya know?

If Madden is any indication he'll be wide open deep when you really need a score then he'll drop the ball repeatedly. At least 3 drops per game.

man, Woods is open all day for me on madden. I use him in the slot. And he catches everything. Edited by JaxBills

I picked Cj at 3.. I had CJ last year and won my 12 team league and he's only going to get more touches so had to take him.

I can't see how Goodwin has any value at this point of the season. Woods seems like a much better option. He's still FA in most leagues..

Yep i can see this guy putting up good yards this year. the Bills could have two 1000yd recievers. To me Woods and Stevie will compliment each other greatly. Woods has seemingly flown under the radar to this point due to EJ and Kiko. I think we start to see on Sunday why so many scouts had him as th emost polished reciever coming out of college.

Look carefully at your other WRs' matchups first. I suppose one thing in favor of starting him is the Bills are very likely to be down early and need to abandon the run.

I like Goodwin. However, I had high hopes for Brandon Kaufmann, Who Marrone foolishly cut. It was a decision that has left me somewhat bitter against this new regime. Chan didn't get it, and it looks like Marrone doesn't either.

You have to be able to catch the ball before you can run with it. I look at our receiving corp, and I see a lot of footspeed, but not a lot of maturity, and/or work ethic. Brandon Kaufmann was exactly the kind of character the bills locker room needed to offset the nuckle-headedness of the incoming WR class, plus (Mr. Shenanigans) Steve Johnson.

We needed this type of young player.

Goodwin will take time to reach his full potential. As a return weapon, his presence will be felt immediately. As a reliable weapon for a young QB, I think not. Ouside of Spiller, Chandler, and maybe Easley, there are no visible threats teams need to prepare for, and no lethality when it comes to the red zone. At a glance, our offense seems VERY manageable for a moderately prepared defense.

IMO, keeping guys like Hogan and Graham over Kaufmann was Marrone's first major F___-up.

Of course, Nothing would make me happier than to be 100% WRONG in this assessment. Maybe some one can tell me which one of our receivers can consisistenly get open, make those tough catches, and deliver in the red-zone.

Go Bills.

Edited by #34fan

very few of those little speed wideouts in this league that can make a difference.

they dominate in college but then find themselves up against NFL dbacks that can run with them and are taller and stronger and better at jump balls/body positioning.

remember our top 3 wideouts are SJ Woods and TJ, and the last two can fly.

if Goodwin beats out TJ as the season goes on, which I think will happen, then he might get 4 or 5 targets per game as the 3rd guy. as it stands now he won't get more than a few targets per game. if you're playing in a points per reception league he's not your guy.

Goodwin doesn't have to make a lot of receptions to become a valuable member of the offense. Beebe, during our heyday, basically caught about 30-35 passes a season for 3-4 TDs. That's about 2-3 a game. His best year was maybe 40 catches and his most TDs were 6. He was a threat, however, and he stretched the field for the rest of the offense, and that's all we need from Goodwin. That's all we were looking for from TJ (and the concept behind going after Robert Meachem).

Goodwin doesn't have to make a lot of receptions to become a valuable member of the offense. Beebe, during our heyday, basically caught about 30-35 passes a season for 3-4 TDs. That's about 2-3 a game. His best year was maybe 40 catches and his most TDs were 6. He was a threat, however, and he stretched the field for the rest of the offense, and that's all we need from Goodwin. That's all we were looking for from TJ (and the concept behind going after Robert Meachem).

Which means starting Goodwin on his fantasy team would be a mistake.

If the Pats preseason pass rush is any indication?

If DeSean Jackson's performance against Aqib Talib is any indication?

If Goodwin doesn't come down with a case of the rookies?(um, like TJ Graham did, which is the only reason we lost at their place last year?)

Torched.

Now, clearly those are dependent variables. IF the Pats can produce a pass rush? Everything changes. They were awful at it this preseason. Doesn't mean they can't, but, we've been down that road with our team as well. How many times did we see our team with no pass rush in the preseason, suddenly develop one in the regular season, after having been told that "it's no big deal/we are running vanilla"? That's right: hardly ever.

One thing that is not a variable? Talib is slow(in this context, I'm not gonna challenge him to race. 10 years ago? Sure) and Goodwin is fast. Can Goodwin get off the line? Can the O line protect enough for a bomb? Can...

Lot's of questions. However, the opportunity is undeniably there. Doubly so if Chandler and Stevie can create enough problems for their LBs/nickel CBs, making their Safeties have to come help. Spikes is crap in coverage. He simply sucks at it. So, again, the opportunity is there.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

There's a lot of evidence that he can't catch and isn't a natural receiver. He did a lot of carrying in college instead of receiving. He looked so raw in preseason. The play where he scratched his eye was very telling. He had his man beat but he couldn't adjust to find the football. He was running zig-zags while Lienart threw a perfect pass. The INT from Kolb was on Goodwin. He had a bomb go off his hands from Tuel vs Redskins. The bad WR play is piling up, but his returns were stellar. I hope he works primarily as a KR and I'd love to see a reverse or 2 to set up a fake rerverse. He's the fastest guy on team, but I don't see how they'll get him the ball.

I agree. Tuel laid that one out perfect against the skins. Overthrew the track star just the right amount. You need to convert that 100 percent of the time and Goodwin did not come close.