Favorite announcers

With everybody down about the Bills debacle in DC, I thought I might try and at least post something that isnt negative or even about the Bills. With the regular season just two weeks away, who is everybody's favorite announcing team? I always liked Gus Johnson and his emphatic calls and his ability to make even the most boring game at least somewhat exciting. My current favorite duo is Kevin Harlan and Solomon Wilcots. Harlan has a a good, deep voice that follows the action well and he knows when to temper his excitement. Wilcots, while annoying at times with his pronunciation, does have a good mind for the game.

To me they are all starting to sound the same. That's too bad. I'm not a big fan of John Murphy either, by the way. I hear too many mistakes. Yesterday I heard him confuse the Redskins with the Bills a few times. Even though I was listening I could tell by the crowd if it was a good play for the 'Skins or not. He couldn't.

Either I know too much football or these announcers these days don't know anything... I find myself calling the right plays and analyzing better than most of em...

Oh and also, I'm not a big fan of announcers being for the home team... Even though it's preseason, announcers should be NFL employees and talk about both teams equally instead of the home team having their announcers and sideline interviews being shown...

Best: Play by play- Al Michaels

Dick Enberg

Ian Eagle

Marv Albert

Kevin Harlan

Color Analyst Chris Collinsworth

Jon Gruden

Troy Aikman

Dan Dierdorf

Worst (both categories) Jim Nantz

Phil Simms

I agree with all of your selections, especially putting Nantz in the worst category. His voice is too boring and he doesn show alot of emotion making big calls. He is perfectly suited for a slow game like golf, not pro football.

I agree with all of your selections, especially putting Nantz in the worst category. His voice is too boring and he doesn show alot of emotion making big calls. He is perfectly suited for a slow game like golf, not pro football.

Yes, Nantz is OK for golf. His partner Simms has got to be the most dull, uninformative color guy on any of the NFL partner networks. I saw an article last year that said CBS likes him because he polls highly with female viewers. And their unabashed Patriot a$$ kissing makes them intolerable IMO.

Vin Scully and Joe Garagiola. If we're talking strictly about football, the Michaels/Collinsworth tandom is high quality. On the opposite, it's rumored that Greg Gumbal, Bob Trumpy, and Dan Dierdorf broadcast all games shown locally in the deepest depths of hell.

I grew up in the 70's and always looked forward to Saturday afternoon baseball no matter the team just loved listening to them 2 describe a bball game..It was awesome

Al Michaels is obviously the best of the last 30 years and Collinsworth is the best color man I can recall, so as a team, they're hard to beat. As far as the classics, was there anything better than Dick Enberg exclaiming, "Oh my!" Also Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy were amazing in their prime.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Worst I think is the Monday Night Football crew of Mike Tirico (pains me to say that as a Syracuse guy) and Jon Gruden. There was a time I liked Gruden but his "Aw shucks," Madden 2.0 schtick has really grown to annoy me. Just comment on the game bro, we know you like football. The best I think is Michaels and Collinsworth (though there was a time I couldn't stand him, funny how things change). After them I'd say its a severe drop off. I like Albert as a play by play guy. Dierdorf catches some slack as a color guy but Brady love aside I always liked him. The semi old timer in me thinks the guys in the 80's and 90's were much better.

I grew up in the 70's and always looked forward to Saturday afternoon baseball no matter the team just loved listening to them 2 describe a bball game..It was awesome

+1

One great thing about living in LA would be listening to Vin calling Dodgers games.

Al Michaels is obviously the best of the last 30 years and Collinsworth is the best color man I can recall, so as a team, they're hard to beat. As far as the classics, was there anything better than Dick Enberg exclaiming, "Oh my!" Also Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy were amazing in their prime.

Yup -- that's who I thought of immediately. They were great back in the 80s doing AFC games for NBC.

For football: Don Criqui. Such a classic, and a Kenmore guy. Also Pat Summerall, Ray Scott (minimalist style, as opposed to today's gabbers).

Preferred Charlie Jones over Curt Gowdy.

For color: Cosell, Madden, Meredith.

College: Brent Musburger

Most underrated announcer/analyst/reporter: Kevin Kiley.

Hockey: Sabres have been blessed with Darling, Robitaille, Wieland, Jeanneret.

Baseball: old Indians announcers Herb Score, Joe Tait

Wish he were still in Buffalo: Pete Weber

Sideline reporters: None. It's a worthless position.

Dick Enberg's "Oh My!" has to be my favorite sports announcer saying of all time.

Also Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy were amazing in their prime.

The "NFL '8?" on NBC was hands down my favorite. I'm old enough to remember Musburger, Irv Cross, Phyliss George & Jimmy the Greek on CBS, but having Bob Costas come on the tube always got me ready for six hours of uninterrupted football. Then when they would go around the country talking to the different crews I was hoping for a Criqui & Trumpy called game. They were a great tandem.

Dick Enberg

Ian Eagle

Marv Albert

Kevin Harlan

Jon Gruden

Troy Aikman

Dan Dierdorf

Phil Simms

Don't forget Mike Tirico...He is one of the best play-by-play on TV. I love Greg Gumble too.

Dick Enberg's "Oh My!" has to be my favorite sports announcer saying of all time.

+1....Awesome

Dick Enberg

Ian Eagle

Marv Albert

Kevin Harlan

Jon Gruden

Troy Aikman

Dan Dierdorf

Phil Simms

I agree with this except for Gruden. He is master of the obvious. Don't care for him at all.

John Murphy & Mark Kelso. They are a unique combination and together they are superlative. I actually experience the atmospherics/excitement (Murphy) and see the technical aspects (Kelso) better when the Bills are blacked out and I turn on the radio.

1) Best play-by-play: Mike Tirico

2) Best color: Rich Gannon (the only guy that is smart enough to actually provide analysis and not stick to irrelevant talking points).

+1. Though I still like Dick Enberg for the color

Steve Tasker of course. He knows the most about the bills. He was the star at northwestern when I was there

And he still screws up tons, is awful in identifying players and makes mistake after mistake. Best guy out there in breaking down the game is Jaws.. goes into such detail that half these morons wouldnt even understand let alone truly break down a play!

And he still screws up tons, is awful in identifying players and makes mistake after mistake. Best guy out there in breaking down the game is Jaws.. goes into such detail that half these morons wouldnt even understand let alone truly break down a play!

Also love Mayock when games r on NFL network. He really goes in depth

A bit of trivia about Gannon. He and Bobby Hoying were both quarterbacks on the Raiders in 1999-2000. Both of them have aunts who are nuns. Both of those nuns served on the staff of the same retreat house. (I know, because I made a retreat there.) Must have been funny to hear them, since they don't have kids of their own, "What do your nieces and nephews do?" "I have a nephew who's an NFL quarterback." "So do I!" "What team?" "The Raiders." "Me too!"

Edited by John Gianelli

Vin Scully and Joe Garagiola. If we're talking strictly about football, the Michaels/Collinsworth tandom is high quality. On the opposite, it's rumored that Greg Gumbal, Bob Trumpy, and Dan Dierdorf broadcast all games shown locally in the deepest depths of hell.

Indeed - Scully & Garagiola will always be the voices I remember growing up in the 70s/80s.

As much as Colinsworth is a tool in the studio, I think he's actually one of the best color analysts in the game. Troy Aikman also pleasantly surprised me as an analyst.

The best play-by-play guys I've watched/listened to are Al Michaels and Dick Enberg, hands down. Both do a great job of just calling the game and not getting into too many side stories or BS. They're on the downside of their careers, so they're not as good as they used to be, but I still think they're the best of anyone I've ever paid attention to. I wish we could hear more of Enberg on a national level.

I agree with this except for Gruden. He is master of the obvious. Don't care for him at all.

I was just about to post this exact same thing. Good list, except for the inexplicable inclusion of Gruden. I simply can't stand listening to him. I desperately wish someone else would do his "qb camp" too, but it's so popular now I'll have to endure many more years of that.