Manuel Update(Rumor)

In the early '90's, I had two scope procedures on my knees. The rehab was long, and difficult. In 2004,when I was a much older man,

I had a third procedure,and I was walking normally in three days,and running inside of two weeks without any physical therapy!

Today's medical procedures are different, but there is also the uniqueness of each individual case. That being said, I would bet that

EJ will be the starter on opening day without any issues.

Also, I'm assuming your doctors weren't the world-class doctors these professional players get.

(No offense intended)

Edited by DStebb716

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"THE GOOD NEWS is that he'll supposedly be fine by month's end."

Not really breaking news. Marrone has said as much. IMO, it's no longer wishful thinking that EJ will take the majority of snaps in practice leading up to the Opener and start.

Well written article. Pollard is hidden 'down there' in Olean.

Whenever I read Pollard I often think of Larry Felzer. They both have an old school clear headed thinking and writing style. They both can be sharply critical but do it in a straight forward way without making it a personal attack.

I read a while back that Pollard did have opportunities to go to a bigger pond but he enjoyed the area and environment where he was at. So he stayed and carved out his own niche.

I'd think I'd rather watch the Bills lose with Manuel at QB than watch them win with Kolb. Just saying, we need to make the move to EJ and get on with the future.

I'd rather see them win, even with kolb. Thought of Manuel in a duel with Brady, late in the fourth quarter, would be too much fun too pass up.

We should all have one season time horizons in professional sports. We're not taking about your teenager developing; we're taking about professionals being paid for a living. After thirteen years I want wins any way I can get them, and to hear someone say they'd rather lose because a particular QB is on the field is insulting.

I'm with eball. Just put the best guys we got on September 8 to beat NE. That's all. The following week put the best guys we got on hand that give us the best chance to beat the Carolina Camsters.

This "long vision" thing fails often. It failed when we dumped Drew Bledsoe coming off a 9-7 season to play JP. It failed Arizona when they let Warner keep the pine warm while they were thinking of the "long vision" and letting Lienert play.

Wasn't drafting an RB while Smith still had gas in the tank thinking of the "long vision" when Smith is no longer around?

The NFL is a treadmill. Every year you lose guys and get new guys. You gotta try to win every year while you got the good guys you got before they leave for greener pa$ture$.

I'd rather see us win with Kolb's mother at QB than lose with EJ.

Some of yall need to think with a shorter vision.

Go BILLS !!

Edited by reddogblitz

Whenever I read Pollard I often think of Larry Felzer. They both have an old school clear headed thinking and writing style. They both can be sharply critical but do it in a straight forward way without making it a personal attack.

I read a while back that Pollard did have opportunities to go to a bigger pond but he enjoyed the area and environment where he was at. So he stayed and carved out his own niche.

Pollock*

He's told me and many others about the offers from places like Cincinnati and Cleveland. But I also heard from other people close to him that places as far as Denver were offering him opportunities. Just never felt like he needed anything bigger.

I'd think I'd rather watch the Bills lose with Manuel at QB than watch them win with Kolb. Just saying, we need to make the move to EJ and get on with the future.

Interesting. So if Kolb starts the opener you would rather they lose? Will you be upset if they win? Who will you root for during the game?

Pollock*

He's told me and many others about the offers from places like Cincinnati and Cleveland. But I also heard from other people close to him that places as far as Denver were offering him opportunities. Just never felt like he needed anything bigger.

He might be the only small town writer I read. Usually, I can find the same information elsewhere but Pollock presents it well. I'm not surprised he's had other offers.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Hope they put EJ up in the booth next to Pettine for the next 2 games to get his take on reading a defense.

I don't think this will happen. EJ will be on the sidelines with a headset, listeing to the plays being called and watching it all unfold. Right where he should be.

One of the most important reasons we went thirteen years without making the playoffs is because our GMs have been too shortsighted. Look at what we've had:

TD (first post-playoff era GM)

• In his first year, he used a 2nd round pick on a RB; even though Antowain Smith had plenty of gas left in the tank.
  • In his second year as GM, he traded away a first round pick for another team's aging backup QB.
  • In his third year as GM, he used a first round pick on a RB, despite the fact Travis Henry had gas left in the tank.
  • In his fourth year as GM, he allowed Antoine Winfield to go first-contract-and-out. TD chose to squander the Winfield money on Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy. To someone with a win-now mentality, two aging players are better than a Pro Bowl player at a premium position, entering the prime of his career.

o

Marv (second post-playoff era GM)

• In his first year as GM, he decided the Bills had to get better right away. That meant he was locked into the concept of using his first two draft picks on a DT and an SS. The result was that he squandered the 8th overall pick on Donte Whitner, before trading up later in the first round for the McCargo bust. Had Marv not been so focused on improving right away at those two positions; he could have had much better long-term players at other positions. Nick Mangold--the player Marv passed up to take McCargo--became the best center in the league. But Marv thought he was "all set" at center because of Melvin Fowler; whereas he correctly perceived a need at DT.
  • In his second year as GM, Marv used the 12th overall pick on yet another running back; despite the fact that Willis McGahee had plenty of gas left in the tank. RBs are a favorite pick of GMs looking to make a quick impact; because they are expected to significantly contribute as rookies.

Back when he was GM, Marv said that, "if you're building for the future, you're building for someone else's future." His moves as GM were consistent with that philosophy. That is why Marv's period as GM did not build any sort of future for the Bills.

I'm tired of quick fixes and Band Aid solutions. I'm tired of cardboard and duct tape. This team needs to be built the right way, even if it means building more slowly than a quick fix artist would build it. A long term blueprint is essential--far more important than short-term wins or losses. Once the team is built to spec, the wins will inevitably follow.

When was Brandon the GM? After Marv?

I don't think this will happen. EJ will be on the sidelines with a headset, listeing to the plays being called and watching it all unfold. Right where he should be.

This is a good idea,but I have a feeling EJ will B ready come week 1! Well I hope anyways, if not Kolb will play! EJ looks comfortable in limited playing time and I feel he has huge upside. The game doesn't seem to big or fast for the rookie, he is adjusting well. That's all we have at the moment. I like Tuel and his potential but he needs to be developed more. No sense in ruining the kid. Just my take!

Interesting. So if Kolb starts the opener you would rather they lose? Will you be upset if they win? Who will you root for during the game?

I am just saying that Kolb, Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, etc are all the same QB, low upside, maybe adequate for a short period or as a back-up but going nowhere as a starter. It's time to root for the future. EJ has everything, the arm, legs, head and heart for the game. He just needs playing time and if that playing time costs us games or a season so be it. It is time to move forward, Kolb is not a move forward but a return to more of the same, poorly executed, head hanging football. I am sick of watching it.

I am just saying that Kolb, Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, etc are all the same QB, low upside, maybe adequate for a short period or as a back-up but going nowhere as a starter. It's time to root for the future. EJ has everything, the arm, legs, head and heart for the game. He just needs playing time and if that playing time costs us games or a season so be it. It is time to move forward, Kolb is not a move forward but a return to more of the same, poorly executed, head hanging football. I am sick of watching it.

That is exactly how I feel.

that's a bit too much

I'd rather watch the Bills lose with Manuel at QB than watch them lose with Kolb. I'm always happy after a win.

Yes, Brandon was the GM after Marv. IIRC, it was Brandon who allowed Jabari Greer to leave in free agency. While using the 11th overall pick on his replacement (McKelvin).

Nope, Marv was still the GM when McKelvin was picked, and Greer was still on the team when McKelvin was a rookie.

But getting back to the thread topic, I truly feel that the only way EJ doesn't start the opener is if he physically cannot play.

Nope, Marv was still the GM when McKelvin was picked, and Greer was still on the team when McKelvin was a rookie.

But getting back to the thread topic, I truly feel that the only way EJ doesn't start the opener is if he physically cannot play.

Marv was only GM for two years. In his first year as GM, his first round picks were Donte Whitner and John McCargo. In his second year as GM, he used his first round pick on Lynch. McKelvin wasn't chosen until year three of the Jauron regime--but by that point, Marv was already gone.

On the other hand, you are correct to point out that McKelvin was picked while Greer was still on the team. They seemed to regard McGee as the answer at one CB spot; and McKelvin as the replacement for Greer at the other CB spot.

Marv was only GM for two years. In his first year as GM, his first round picks were Donte Whitner and John McCargo. In his second year as GM, he used his first round pick on Lynch. McKelvin wasn't chosen until year three of the Jauron regime--but by that point, Marv was already gone.

On the other hand, you are correct to point out that McKelvin was picked while Greer was still on the team. They seemed to regard McGee as the answer at one CB spot; and McKelvin as the replacement for Greer at the other CB spot.

So Brandon was GM which means McKelvin was Modrak's pick.

... Losman, Edwards, ... etc are all the same QB, low upside, maybe adequate for a short period or as a back-up but going nowhere as a starter.

At the time these guys started starting they were considered to have "high upside". Every QB that gets his first starting gig has "high upside". EJ has "high upside". So what? What does that even mean? I think it means they have potential which Bill Parcell's says means, you ain't done nuthin' yet.

At the time these guys started starting they were considered to have "high upside". Every QB that gets his first starting gig has "high upside". EJ has "high upside". So what? What does that even mean? I think it means they have potential which Bill Parcell's says means, you ain't done nuthin' yet.

I also noticed he got the "Most Promising Award" for Training Camp. I had to laugh, considering that means to me "He hasn't really done anything yet, but we think he might someday." As a QB, I think that is appropriate. It is the hardest position to play in the league, and he hasn't played his first game yet. Now the most impressive rookie was Goodwin and CJ as MVP. I concur!

It is the regular season against a division opponent (THE division opponent) The coach will put in the qb who is going to perform best on that day. If Manuel is healthy and had a good week's practice, I suspect he will have to consider him, given the outstanding play and the lackluster performance of Kolb. On the other hand Kolb has beaten the Patriots and has a lot more experience. All in all, I'd go with EJ if he's healthy and prepared. I suspect it won't be that easy and Manuel may only get a day or two...and the coach earns his paycheck making the decision.

What ever happened to that update Marrone was supposed to get 48 after the surgery. He was supposed to find out if EJ might get back earlier....

That's Closely Held and Highly Classified OBD Information. All we'll get is coach speak that tells us nothing. Obviously, You know....... :lol:

It is the regular season against a division opponent (THE division opponent) The coach will put in the qb who is going to perform best on that day. If Manuel is healthy and had a good week's practice, I suspect he will have to consider him, given the outstanding play and the lackluster performance of Kolb. On the other hand Kolb has beaten the Patriots and has a lot more experience. All in all, I'd go with EJ if he's healthy and prepared. I suspect it won't be that easy and Manuel may only get a day or two...and the coach earns his paycheck making the decision.

I think that says it all. He starts if this happens.

That's Closely Held and Highly Classified OBD Information. All we'll get is coach speak that tells us nothing. Obviously, You know....... :lol:

"I talked to the Doctor, and he said that EJ will be ready to play sometime in the future." ;)

I think the coaches know they have their starter and decided to get a small problem that EJ could have played with talken care of now rather than have it linger for the season...I think we wont even be able to notice that something was done come week one...(just the opinion of a PT...if there are any knee doc on the board with different thoughts fire away...)

Not a doctor and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night but I agree

I was thinking either bursa or torn meniscus. I've had both - the meniscus tear required arthroscopic surgery to grind off the piece that was sticking up/out and I was off crutches in about 10 days...

I had a meniscus tear as well. I was told not to use cruches, and was back at work in less than two weeks. Strait back to static line parachuteing, and that's hell on a knee.

I have faith EJ plays game one.

I am sure you know this statement is inaccurate.

"High upside" meas they have good physical tools with room to develop.

No one ever accused Fitz of a high upside. Barkley dropped where he did because he lacked it. No high upside for Flutie either, nor Russell Wilson, nor Chad Pennington, nor...

Losman was an athlete who threw a pretty bomb. He also was badly coached and made a lot of bad decisions, so he never developed his obvious potential.

Edwards was the top college recruit out of college who played on a bad college team, so yeah, he seemed to have unrealized potential too.

EJ Manuel certainly has that - probably more than any other QB in the draft this year, which is the same thing all the national talking heads have said about him - "more upside than any other QB coming out this year". That's why a Mike Mayock supports the pick - "If I'm going to take a gamble, I'm going to gamble on the kid with the high upside."

It's true production is generally better than potential, but that doesn't mean there aren't readily apparent differences in potential, or that potential isn't worth something.

Edited by BobChalmers

What ever happened to that update Marrone was supposed to get 48 after the surgery. He was supposed to find out if EJ might get back earlier....

You'd think a reported would ask Marrone about it. Seems like that Maro dust-up a few weeks ago had the desired effect.

I am sure you know this statement is inaccurate.

"High upside" meas they have good physical tools with room to develop.

No one ever accused Fitz of a high upside. Barkley dropped where he did because he lacked it. No high upside for Flutie either, nor Russell Wilson, nor Chad Pennington, nor...

Losman was an athlete who threw a pretty bomb. He also was badly coached and made a lot of bad decisions, so he never developed his obvious potential.

Edwards was the top college recruit out of college who played on a bad college team, so yeah, he seemed to have unrealized potential too.

EJ Manuel certainly has that - probably more than any other QB in the draft this year, which is the same thing all the national talking heads have said about him - "more upside than any other QB coming out this year". That's why a Mike Mayock supports the pick - "If I'm going to take a gamble, I'm going to gamble on the kid with the high upside."

It's true production is generally better than potential, but that doesn't mean there aren't readily apparent differences in potential, or that potential isn't worth something.

I disagree with the way you're using the words "potential" and "upside." Tom Brady doesn't have great physical tools. The guy lost a foot race to Drew Bledsoe, for crying out loud! But he had a ton more upside than any other QB in the 2000 draft. Why? Because of his ability to throw the ball accurately; and because of his very fast information processing speed.

On the other hand, Losman had great physical tools, but didn't have much upside. No matter what kind of coaching he got, he was never going to be able to process information quickly, or throw the ball with consistent accuracy. He just didn't get the same intelligence-related genes that Tom Brady got.

We don't yet know how good Manuel or Tuel are at processing information quickly and accurately. The more time they spend on the field, the more we'll learn. At this point, I think it's too early to call either of them high upside or low upside. Their upside is undefined.

I disagree with the way you're using the words "potential" and "upside." Tom Brady doesn't have great physical tools. The guy lost a foot race to Drew Bledsoe, for crying out loud! But he had a ton more upside than any other QB in the 2000 draft. Why? Because of his ability to throw the ball accurately; and because of his very fast information processing speed.

On the other hand, Losman had great physical tools, but didn't have much upside. No matter what kind of coaching he got, he was never going to be able to process information quickly, or throw the ball with consistent accuracy. He just didn't get the same intelligence-related genes that Tom Brady got.

We don't yet know how good Manuel or Tuel are at processing information quickly and accurately. The more time they spend on the field, the more we'll learn. At this point, I think it's too early to call either of them high upside or low upside. Their upside is undefined.

I think with QBs it is these three things in this order, quick decision making, accuracy, and arm strength.

Isn't "low upside" an oxymoron?

I'm not a doctor, but did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

From the reports prior to and after the procedure, it seems more than likely E.J. Manuel's procedure was a PRP injection (link below). By now E.J.3 should be stretching and strengthening the knee and should be back on the field as early as next week.

http://www.hss.edu/condition-list_prp-injections.asp