What is the deal with Mario?

YoloinOhio

Does he actually still have a foot injury, or just taking the Bruce Smith approach to camp/pre-season? Not that he has earned it. I do think he will be much better this year, but with all the EJ madness it seems his absence has gotten lost in the shuffle. Wasn't even participating in camp yesterday?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's taking the veteran special treatment approach and just not playing much. Most veterans don't need 4 weeks of training camp to prepare. I think he will be just fine. Same thing with Stevie. Always has injuries but plays every game and usually pretty well.

I think he's taking the veteran special treatment approach and just not playing much. Most veterans don't need 4 weeks of training camp to prepare. I think he will be just fine. Same thing with Stevie. Always has injuries but plays every game and usually pretty well.

I hope you're right...

Keen an eye on Mario Williams.

He's an outstanding football player with a brain in his head and a lot of common sense.

And because he has a brain in his head and a lot of common sense he knows whether the Bills are good team or not.

Last year he mailed it in IMHO because he knew the Bills sucked.

If Williams plays well this year it's because he believes in this team and knows it will succeed.

If he mails it in again like he did last year that tells us what he thinks about the Bills this year and what we can expect from this team as fans.

He's an outstanding football player with a brain in his head and a lot of common sense.

And because he has a brain in his head and a lot of common sense he knows whether the Bills are good team or not.

If Williams plays well this year it's because he believes in this team and knows it will succeed.

If he mails it in again like he did last year that tells us what he thinks about the Bills this year and what we can expect from this team as fans.

Interesting take.... I did notice on the second play of the first preseason game Mario losing his $#%# on someone for blowing their assignment and allowing a 7 yard run. Struck me as odd because I don't remember seeing a whole lot of emotion from Mario, especially in the preseason

If he mails it in, Pettine will have a chance to show what he's made of. If a coach can't stop players mailing it in, he can't hold the team.

My opinion: He just doesn't want to practice. As long as he earns his paycheck in Weeks 1-20, I couldn't care less.

Fair point. The injuries have been ridiculous this season. I know all the "experts" are saying it is no worse than in past years, but it certainly seems like it. Maybe it has just been played up more or seems like it is a lot of starters, but I hold my breath every time our team takes the field.

Yup. Frankly, I'd rather watch rookies play in the preseason anyway.

If he mails it in, Pettine will have a chance to show what he's made of. If a coach can't stop players mailing it in, he can't hold the team.

That is not up to the coach.

GO BILLS!!!

He's been nicked up a bit, so the coaching staff is playing it safe with the $100M investment...nothing else to see here.

This in a nutshell. You simply don't push a guy yard that is this much of your defense. It makes ZERO sense unless you're just an idiot fan.

Your "mailed it in" post is ridiculous. Go watch the games again. Mario got better as the season went on, especially when we were out of playoff contention.

He got 10.5 sacks (only 8 guys in the league notched 12 or more) and he was batting balls and playing the run well too. His STRENGTH was the last 5 games. Exactly the opposite of "mailing it in".

I saw a better team player, more hustle and a strong season finish. He will have a pro bowl year this season.

He has been a bust so far. I'm hoping he has the wherewithal to earn his paycheck this year and become a team leader.

10.5 sacks last year on a terrible vanilla defense. Guy produced. You should probably sheck your bust terminology. Aaron Maybin = Bust. not Mario Williams.

He has been a bust so far. I'm hoping he has the wherewithal to earn his paycheck this year and become a team leader.

He had 10.5 sacks in his first year on a defense with a chicken sh*t scheme while dealing with an injury that required a procedure halfway through the season. Far too hasty to call him a "bust" IMO.

#1 -- it's impossible to "earn" that paycheck, no matter what he does.

#2 -- 10.5 sacks out of Wanny's "take it as you see it" defense is nothing to sneeze at.

#3 -- did you see Mario trying to put his linemates into correct position during the 1st series vs. Indy last week?

Yes, Mario creates drama -- just as superstars always have done. But the guy more often that not "brings it" and I foresee a big year.

Your "mailed it in" post is ridiculous. Go watch the games again. Mario got better as the season went on, especially when we were out of playoff contention.

He got 10.5 sacks (only 8 guys in the league notched 12 or more) and he was batting balls and playing the run well too. His STRENGTH was the last 5 games. Exactly the opposite of "mailing it in".

I saw a better team player, more hustle and a strong season finish. He will have a pro bowl year this season.

in addition, he is highly motivated to get to the later years of his contract. last season he played hurt prior to his wrist surgery and his play dramatically improved immediately after the surgery. I fully expect him to have an even greater impact in this years attacking defensive scheme.

Training camp isn't about finding out who can play...it's about finding out who can't

Good insight. I also think that once the players the coaches know are going to make the roster have shown they've "got it" as far as the new scheme goes, & have shown they're ready to go, then there's little sense in keeping turn on the field. As you say, it's the guys you don't really know who have to be the focus. Edited by yungmack

And his deal is essentially a 2 year deal so we can part ways with his ass in the offseason if he mails it in again

I understand keeping him off the field if he is a proven performer, has grasped the defense and to avoid injury. However, why is Stephon Gilmore out there in preseason? Or CJ Spiller? IMO, these two guys are just as critical, if not moreso, and yet they are rolling them out there.

I understand keeping him off the field if he is a proven performer, has grasped the defense and to avoid injury. However, why is Stephon Gilmore out there in preseason? Or CJ Spiller? IMO, these two guys are just as critical, if not moreso, and yet they are rolling them out there.

Mostly attitude. When Bruce sat out practice, Kelly , Thurman, Reed, Bennett....all practiced.

I think Mario's role is far more one-dimensional than the likes of Gilmore and/or CJ.

Marrone rested a rookie in Alonso as "precautionary" even when everyone else said he was ready to go. The Bills core D is pretty much set, especially up front. Mixing in others with the 1's here and there and seeing what u got in some of those guys when playing with the 1's is so valuable. Perfect example is Hughes... As well all know, he was a beast in camp, but to get to see him dominate as he did vs Vikes validates him even more. Pettine and Marrone know what they got in Mario, and few others, just being careful.