The positives of Kolb's play last night

Bangarang

I thought people where exaggerating about Kb's play last night. I am watching the replay now, and I am literally saying to my GF, "if EJ isnt ready for the Pats, I would rather have Fitz"...I mean CHRIST!

Just curious...Can you post a few points as to why you think that way? Any specific plays in mind? BTW this is a honest question and not sarcastic.

Forgive me, but I am on the couch enjoying some beverages, typing on my phone.

I have been trying to dampers excitement for EJ, because this team has hurt me in the past. I also know how hot and cold this board can get on players, so I assumed a bit of that went into the review of Kolb in this game, but it's pretty bad.

We seem to be committing to the run game, and it isn't really going anywhere. I think Chan was tremendous at getting Spiller in space. We could use a little but of that now.

The guy never finds his receivers, hits nobody in stride, and is doing a bit of staring down of his recievers. It looks like every ball is poorly thrown, he is skipping screen passes. He generally looks very uncomfortable out there.

Maybe it's rust, but even in the last 2 minutes of the half, with the 2nd stringers in, finding a rhythm is tough.

To be fair, I haven't seen the 2nd half just yet.

I thought people where exaggerating about Kb's play last night. I am watching the replay now, and I am literally saying to my GF, "if EJ isnt ready for the Pats, I would rather have Fitz"...I mean CHRIST!

FWIW, he had his best drive of the game in the two-minute drill when he took the Bills downfield to a field goal.

Hopefully he can build on that.

Just curious...Can you post a few points as to why you think that way? Any specific plays in mind? BTW this is a honest question and not sarcastic.

Also honest and not sarcastic to you. Did you see the game?

FWIW, he had his best drive of the game in the two-minute drill when he took the Bills downfield to a field goal.

Hopefully he can build on that.

Concurred, the last 2 minutes are better, but he is really out of sync with the receivers, and missing throws. If he can make the 2 minute drill the standard, he can be reasonable. Right now, for a bet, he is missing a lot of yards out there

I thought he threw terrible balls early on,(just straight out misses or behind the WRs every pass in the first & early 2nd) he did pick it up later in the 2 minute drill. I will concede that. I do not like that we got stopped in the red zone though either. Maybe he is still getting his wheels under him or maybe we should start Tuel over him to me it is kind of a coin flip at this point.

I doubt he did, and I didn't either (set to TiVo tomorrow morning). so it would be helpful if someone laid out any positives that kolb brought to the table, if there were any. We are all stressing enough over EJ's knee; we need some comfort here.

I doubt he did, and I didn't either (set to TiVo tomorrow morning). so it would be helpful if someone laid out any positives that kolb brought to the table, if there were any. We are all stressing enough over EJ's knee; we need some comfort here.

I watched the first half with the intent of finding some middle ground in the posts on TSW. Sadly it is a mostly honest interpretation. Very few bright spots in Kolb's game. That's not to say he can't redeem himself with a good 3 quarters against Wash. It's not good though

Also, Kolb's body language was poor and he wasn't on the same wavelength as his teammates.

I'm hoping that while Kolb improves incrementally (at this point I think his ceiling is pretty low) that EJ heals quickly and is held out of the last preseason game only as a precaution but that he's able to practice.

edit: And of course that EJ is able to start against the Cheatriots***.

wow I know he didn't look great but he picked it up as the half closed and looked about twice as good as any trent Edwards performance ive seen. Not to just bring up ol cpt checkdwn but people didn't rip him nearly as much for his awful preseasons and Kolb had been out for over a week and was rusty. As of right now fitz has better preseason numbers than EJ so is he better than EJ? I think Kolb needs another week of practice and another start before people call for his head.

Also, Kolb's body language was poor and he wasn't on the same wavelength as his teammates.

I'm hoping that while Kolb improves incrementally (at this point I think his ceiling is pretty low) that EJ heals quickly and is held out of the last preseason game only as a precaution but that he's able to practice.

edit: And of course that EJ is able to start against the Cheatriots***.

I think your right about the body language. It just never felt like the offense was going to move, or like anybody on the field thought it would.

I never read into this, but the O was sulky and stagnant. I do believe Kolb can fix a lot of these issues with another week with the ones, although he already had a week.

We can win with Kolb and the aggressive defense, it just looks like a higher ceiling and more efficient with the young gun

Watching him last night got me thinking one of two things. He's either really rusty or he's still shell shocked from Arizona.

Consider his situation for a moment:

-He's still learning a new offense along with having to adjust to new teammates.

-He didn't really take many snaps with the 1st team offense this week.

-He's been away from the team for nearly a week after the mat incident

-This is his first NFL game since October of last year.

I would like to see him one more game with a full week of practice to make a judgement on him whether or not he's damaged goods. When he get's into a rhythm he can play lights out.

On the flipside he could've had his confidence siphoned out of him in Arizona. I'm a Texans fan who endured David Carr and am seeing the same tendencies. Escaping the pocket at the first sign of pressure and staring down receivers are the result of having a shaky o-line. Carr set the record for sacks at 76. Kolb had 27 in 6 games which was on par for the record last year. If Kolb's confidence is gone and he can't trust his o-line then the coaches need to pick up on that and let him go.

I think your right about the body language. It just never felt like the offense was going to move, or like anybody on the field thought it would.

I never read into this, but the O was sulky and stagnant. I do believe Kolb can fix a lot of these issues with another week with the ones, although he already had a week.

We can win with Kolb and the aggressive defense, it just looks like a higher ceiling and more efficient with the young gun

In a best-case scenario I can see us winning some games with Kolb at QB but I can't see us beating New England. The Bills will need an inspired performance on offense and defense (and teams) to win the opener. I'm having a hard time envisioning an inspired offensive performance led by Kolb. Obviously if it comes down to that, I hope I'm wrong.

Watching him last night got me thinking one of two things. He's either really rusty or he's still shell shocked from Arizona.

Consider his situation for a moment:

-He's still learning a new offense along with having to adjust to new teammates.

-He didn't really take many snaps with the 1st team offense this week.

-He's been away from the team for nearly a week after the mat incident

-This is his first NFL game since October of last year.

I would like to see him one more game with a full week of practice to make a judgement on him whether or not he's damaged goods. When he get's into a rhythm he can play lights out.

On the flipside he could've had his confidence siphoned out of him in Arizona. I'm a Texans fan who endured David Carr and am seeing the same tendencies. Escaping the pocket at the first sign of pressure and staring down receivers are the result of having a shaky o-line. Carr set the record for sacks at 76. Kolb had 27 in 6 games which was on par for the record last year. If Kolb's confidence is gone and he can't trust his o-line then the coaches need to pick up on that and let him go.

Great, great post. Very (too?) fair and perfect context.

I'll say that there are a few extremely knowledgeable football fans on this board who have a very strong conviction that Kolb either sucks or is irreparably damaged.

I'll admit that I'm very swayed by their opinions.

In a best-case scenario I can see us winning some games with Kolb at QB but I can't see us beating New England. The Bills will need an inspired performance on offense and defense (and teams) to win the opener. I'm having a hard time envisioning an inspired offensive performance led by Kolb. Obviously if it comes down to that, I hope I'm wrong.

Great, great post. Very (too?) fair and perfect context.

I'll say that there are a few extremely knowledgeable football fans on this board who have a very strong conviction that Kolb either sucks or is irreparably damaged.

I'll admit that I'm very swayed by their opinions.

You made a good point about his body language. More than stats I look to see how QB's respond to certain situations. Is he going through his progressions, how tall does he stand in the pocket, does he have happy feet, etc. It's an inexact science but body language can reveal an underlying disposition, does he have confidence or is he tentative? Then again I thought Losman had nice composure. Totally missed that one.

I haven't seen the game yet. Will watch it tomorrow. But, Kolb was 13 for 21 for 111 yards. Statistically it sounds decent. I also know that Hogan dropped a pass cause I saw it on the highlights. And the Bills committed a lot of penalties. So I'm withholding judgement.

tuel tuel tuel then ej comes back..............kolb is worthless IMO.

amazingly fitzlike with the terrible accuracy and jumpiness in the pocket.

followed up by throws behind wr's from 3 yards away....

stick a fork in em...

Edited by Ryan L Billz

he's worthless, he blows, etc etc are you some of the :censored: that were booing Kolb during the game?

Fact - Kolb started poorly and then picked it up..... (vs 2nd stringers?)

Fact - Tuel played 3rd, 4th and soon to be unemployed players.

You Chroisians need to chillax and look at things logically.

We should see how things go against the Skins before we truly start casting rocks at Kolb.

he's worthless, he blows, etc etc are you some of the :censored: that were booing Kolb during the game?

Fact - Kolb started poorly and then picked it up..... (vs 2nd stringers?)

Fact - Tuel played 3rd, 4th and soon to be unemployed players.

You Chroisians need to chillax and look at things logically.

We should see how things go against the Skins before we truly start casting rocks at Kolb.

Kolb's just a guy, but that's what you get on the retread market. He serves a purpose and obviously should stay because QBs go down all the time.

This and the fact that guys like Vince Young and one of the McCown brothers (coached H.S football last year) are presently on NFL rosters (Packers and Bears respectively). He has experience and can provide insight to the young rookies that only "game" knowledge can provide. I cannot see Kolb being cut, especially with his set back in training camp (the slippery mat). Let's see how he plays Saturday against the Redskins. Side note: I'll be there in person! Taking my son to his first Bills (NFL) game - young first grader that is slowly becoming entrenched into the Buffalo Bills fan base!

Kolb beat NE last year.

Thank you! He not only got a win against NE, but did so with Beanie Wells as his RB. Not to rip into Wells, but he's no CJ Spiller, nor even Freddie. And the Bills defense looks like it could be set for a breakout season.

Look, I still want EJ to start, but this whole hue and cry that Kolb is horrible and can't win in the NFL is ridiculous. He started 4-0 last year with a team that went 1-10 without him, whether they won because of him or in spite of him. Has he proven himself? No. Did I want him in the off-season? Hell no. Am I sad that we won't see any more of EJ in the pre-season? Yes. However, let's have some perspective...it is not impossible, based on prior evidence, to believe that a team can win with CJ, this defense and special teams, even with (gasp!) Kevin Kolb as the QB. I'm rooting for EJ to be QB on Game 1, but if it is Kolb, hopefully he finds the spark.

I also am both bemused and slightly fed up that the Bills are looking great in pre-season, and last I checked there were three threads up top blasting specific players. Yes, our team has been miserable for a long time, yes, they've started 5-2 twice recently and collapsed, but if we can't at least try to enjoy it when things are looking positive, what's the point? At least Jerry Sullivan has an excuse.

I'm going to offer my opinion although I don't really hold out much hope many here can see past their complete favoritism for EJ. And BTW, I really think EJ is the clear starter for a number of reasons.

I'm getting a bit irritated however, by the uncouth and derogatory comments about Kolb. The guy has all ready had to endure the embarrassment of slipping on a rubber mat and the wise cracks from not only the fans but his own team mates as well. I'm pretty certain his skin is thick enough to deal with that and move on. But before he could get in the game, he learns his grandmother passed and has to take some time to be with family. When he gets back and and gets right back in the game, he doesn't do as well as he feels he should. I even read a comment about fans booing him, and he responds by saying he would boo himself too. I give him some credit for being stand up and simply moving on.

What I can't abide by is the utter childish reactions by folks who think it's OK to continue with their uncouth, derogatory rants. The guy is an athlete on "OUR" team. He may not be the starter, but he does deserve better from those who call themselves Buffalo Bills fans. And BTW, I often hear grumblings such as "He had his chance in Philly and Arizona". As far as I am concerned and I'm pretty sure the coaches are concerned, he got a clean slate the moment he became a Buffalo Bill. I'm sitting down now and watching the Minnesota game on DTV right now for the first time and I can assure you, my opinion won't change. I'm going to give the guy a fair shot to redeem himself. Some won't. Some will continue to act like whiny cry babies because they can't handle a little adversity.