Drew Brees leaves $3 tip on take-out order

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 pages... man if this was Mario, this would have gotten to at least 50 by now.

That is very funny . . . and sadly true. The Buffalo News guys would really go to town with that story.

I still don't see why this is an issue? Why because he makes alot of money? Who tips on drive thru, a tip is for the personal service you receive getting refilled drinks and your food in a timely manner when you are sitting at a table inside. If anything, the waitress should be held accountable for copying a customers receipt and sharing it on social media.

Dear Miss Manners: When I go to Rite Aid and buy shaving cream, pretzels, deodorant, a package of Peeps, AAA batteries and a sympathy card, do I have to give Chester (the senior citizen checkout attendant) a tip?? If so, do I tip him just on the food stuffs or for the whole bill?? I always see him holding his hand out when I leave and feel bad that I didn't give him a few bucks for packaging my snacks and asking if I am a rewards club member. Help me!! Signed, Confused Person #8,762

Has anyone asked the question of whether or not her "service" was good? I mean, I'm hearing how service workers make their $$ mostly off of tips, so I would assume they would be very friendly and courteous. Maybe Brees didn't recieve good service from her?

And what is the definition of a "service" worker? I mean anyone that does something for you is doing a service, so how do you know that one individual is making less than another? Maybe put up some signs that tell customers that and maybe tips would be better. I just paid $452 for my car to be "serviced" oil, brakes, tires, etc and I didn't give a tip, but to me THAT service is much more important than someone bagging up my General Tso chicken. When I lived back home in B-Lo and worked in a pizzeria (I mean who hasn't?), I very rarely got a tip from anyone and I took the order, made it, bagged it and then handed it to them as a take out order. Saying all of that we were always very friendly and courteous to our customers because... well, that's just good business! I hear and feel for this girl's situation, but she was way out of line in the way she handled it.

Dear Miss Manners: When I go to Rite Aid and buy shaving cream, pretzels, deodorant, a package of Peeps, AAA batteries and a sympathy card, do I have to give Chester (the senior citizen checkout attendant) a tip?? If so, do I tip him just on the food stuffs or for the whole bill?? I always see him holding his hand out when I leave and feel bad that I didn't give him a few bucks for packaging my snacks and asking if I am a rewards club member. Help me!! Signed, Confused Person #8,762

You joke, but Emily Post specifically states that there is no obligation to tip on takeout: http://www.emilypost.com/out-and-about/tipping/89-general-tipping-guidelines

Emily Post vs. someone named Helena Echlin...? :lol:

Helena's books on the subject of social etiquette:

http://www.amazon.com/helenechlin

Emily's books on the subject of social etiquette:

http://www.amazon.co...ps,k:emily post

Who wins? :)

Your take on money is about as worthwhile as your take on electronics. Which is to say worthless.

I doubt there isn't a take a penny dish you haven't dived into.

I always tip on takeout. Its is not like they do nothing to put your order together. I also usually get take out from the same places and tipping goes a long way for the next time you go in. I figure if I can't afford a tip on a takeout I probably should not be ordering in the first place.

By the way... Whining about tipping is real classless. The system is not what it is in Europe. So be a man and tip with pride. That's how these people make their money. I go out with folks who don't like to tip all this time cause of work and always cover all the loser's low tips. I want to get paid fairly for the work I do. And if you wait on me at a restaurant then by all means you deserve your share.

When was the last time the person taking orders on the phone or working behind the cash register/counter wasn't making minimum wage? I think they all make at least minimum wage, isn't it the law? Its the waiters/waitress and delivery people that are the ones not making minimum wage and need the tips.

heck yea, that driver did you a service. Tip a driver.... But the girl who rang in you're order? Come on.

Nothing to see hear.

Believe it or not, the food does have to get specially packaged and bagged so all the condiments are in there, all the entrees are in there, so they don't tip over inside and make a mess. Sure, if it a pizza or a sub, and all they have to do is slip it into a sleeve or a box, NBD and no tip.

But if I'm ordering something like Chinese or something to go from a restaurant that involves multiple entrees, sides, etc, along with utensils, packets of condiments et al., then I do tip. Or if it's a large order, like $75 worth of Chinese, that no doubt took some time and effort to prepare, box and pack. It may not be the same as walking back to your table and asking if you if you would like more water, but it is a still food service someone is performing in an effort to serve you, and is often done by the same people who are also waiting on tables.

But that's just me.

Your take on money is about as worthwhile as your take on electronics. Which is to say worthless.

I doubt there isn't a take a penny dish you haven't dived into.

Why the personal attack, yet again? I thought the rules of the board forbid that.... Hmmm....

http://forums.twobil...tion=boardrules

Do NOT post:

Personal or harassing threats

Libelous or defamatory information

We need to straighten this thing out. What made you feel threatened?

Focus on the libelous and defamatory comment instead. That way there's no misunderstanding, as it's clear as day.

But yes, I realize that the King of the site doesn't have to actually follow the rules, that part's clear as day for me.

Why the personal attack, yet again? I thought the rules of the board forbid that.... Hmmm....

"Hmmm...." What are you contemplating there Einstein? Your next high-tech article about how macs can't use multi-button mice? How the iPods were doomed when they failed to include an FM radio? Is this where I insert the laughing icon?

BTW, Emily Post died 50 years ago, but hey I'm sure there is a tremendous amount of "etiquette research" done at the institute that scabs off her name....

Focus on the libelous and defamatory comment instead. That way there's no misunderstanding, as it's clear as day.

But yes, I realize that the King of the site doesn't have to actually follow the rules, that part's clear as day for me.

I'm embarrassed for both of you...quoting etiquette on a football board ferchrissakes. What would Ron McDole think?

I was wondering why Scott hasn't ribbed me about being home on a Saturday night in a while...he had tastier meat in his sights :nana:

I demand that you both get it all out in the open and then watch this clip together...

My thought exactly.

Meh. In the case of the person with $3 extra dollars, its a shame they couldn't be happy they got anything. Given the consensus on this board, it seems very often the line reads 0, so I'd be glad it wasnt that.

Meh. In the case of the person with $3 extra dollars, its a shame they couldn't be happy they got anything. Given the consensus on this board, it seems very often the line reads 0, so I'd be glad it wasnt that.

I don't even think this would have been an issue though if he tipped zero. The fact that he tipped 3 makes him look cheap and turned into a story.

It is my opinion Scott your opinions and comments to Fezmid unbecoming of you , disrespectful , thankless, selfish , mean spirited and simply put rotten. I have always felt it nothing but a privilege to post and frequent this forum, am most appreciative for you efforts in creating a fine site where Bills followers might have opportunity to get together. You can do better here Scott, you I believe above this sort of silly discourse , you are so very wrong.

I used to work the register at a restaurant in NYC, I answered phones, made salads, packed the bags, I also helped with bussing and made the Veggie Green Smoothies and cashed people out. At times, I would also do delivery on my bike (at times I even waited but not when it was very busy). I made the most when I delivered.

We had some celebrities who came in, Patty Smith was a regular and was super sweet (I was almost tempted to ask her out) and tipped really well. Beck was the same, as was Moby (who I also met at another job) all were really nice people. Some of the regular customers were just butt holes though and if they tipped at all it was small. Guess who got the priority? We split tips with the kitchen. (if we were at the counter).

​It was a macrobiotic place owned by a japanese guy. We also got a free meal for an 8 hour shift. The food was great and I almost liked the job but it wasn't enough $. IMO Brees is a cheapo. Although I would have never outed someone like this THAT is pretty classless too. Judging someone because they ARE rich (and cheap) and for no other reason is BS low character ****.

Ok, so I tend bar at a pretty decent restaurant here in Raleigh. I have served quite a few professional athletes. The Carolina hurricanes are pretty much regulars during the season. Dre Bly, Az Hakim, Tory Holt, even met and chatted with Johnny White (remember him?) for a while, while he ate his delicious bacon burger and fries. Mario Williams has been in dozens of times. Bought him a Mai Tai last time and had him autograph two Bills hats, that I just so happened to have in my truck. Even random whackos like Ludacris. Point is some tip great and some not at all. Some lady left me a 20, because my Cosmo "changed her life". But credit card information should be discretionary and that girl will most likely be fired. My friend posted his $700 from Peyton and Eli Manning to his facebook page and got fired for that! As far as the whole etiquette thing goes, the guys put together to go orders are running around like hamsters all night. And they don't expect, but really appreciate a tip from the guest ordering take out. I'm an over tipper. I tip everyone, from the guy that rolls my sushi at Kanki, to the kid that cleans out my golf cart. But that's just me. But my drinks are always strong and my sushi rolls always comes out before everyone else's... And yes, I have tipped at McDonald's before.

Brings us back to - You go out to dinner with wife and spend 200 dollars, the guy that serves you gets a $40 tip. Next morning you go out for breakfast and spend $30 and you give the girl a $6 tip. Not very fair system because the girl the served you breakfast ran a round just as much as the guy that served you the night before.

Think I will bring a tip jar to the opener.

Brings us back to - You go out to dinner with wife and spend 200 dollars, the guy that serves you gets a $40 tip. Next morning you go out for breakfast and spend $30 and you give the girl a $6 tip. Not very fair system because the girl the served you breakfast ran a round just as much as the guy that served you the night before.

Do they really though? Aren't you more likely to order appetizers, drinks, and/or dessert at dinner than you are at breakfast or lunch? Dinner is usually (not always) a longer experience for me than the other two, especially if I'm spending $200 on the meal.

I'm not disagreeing with the premise (the dinner wasn't 5 times more demanding than the breakfast/lunch), but dinner serving appears to be more work to me.

Do they really though? Aren't you more likely to order appetizers, drinks, and/or dessert at dinner than you are at breakfast or lunch? Dinner is usually (not always) a longer experience for me than the other two, especially if I'm spending $200 on the meal.

I'm not disagreeing with the premise (the dinner wasn't 5 times more demanding than the breakfast/lunch), but dinner serving appears to be more work to me.

Exactly what I was going to say. A $200, 2 person meal is not the norm. BUT, the waitress would have to seat 7 parties to that one to compete... Which they probably do in the time frame of that kind of dinner. Breakfast is much faster and people are on the go Sure, the morning server is hustling more. But thems the breaks...

AND... Usually people will overtip on breakfast... YET, some undertip... I hope the overtipper out weigh the undertippers and like I said, they got the greater number of people being served to help them out.

4 - 5 cups of coffee juice. Most times they clear the table. To me they seem to work a lot harder.

Any of the real top notch steak houses with with a bottle of wine , aps, dessert $200. 677 prime in Albany

4 - 5 cups of coffee juice. Most times they clear the table. To me they seem to work a lot harder.

Any of the real top notch steak houses with with a bottle of wine , aps, dessert $200. 677 prime in Albany

Sure. I agree... Morning servers gott work hard, but get greater numbers of parties. Again, can they seat 7 to 1 ratio than they do for dinner? Probably. Nature of the beast.

Well, if your comparing a diner breakfast to a top notch place there's more than just volume of running around that goes into the gap in tips - I'm not just tipping on how often they walk from the kitchen to the table.

Which is harder, serving a few extra cups of juice or knowing a high end menu including wine list inside and out, nailing timing and presentation at every step, and keeping someone expecting the service that generally comes at that venue happy? Sure the diner might be more physically demanding but there's more to it than that.