The Rise and Fall (?) of Vic Carucci

I remember when Vic Carucci was writing good articles about the Bills during the Levy-Smith-Kelly-Thomas-Reed-Tasker Golden Age.

Then he graduated to the national media, writing for NFL.com and coauthoring books with a number of retired NFL stars, including Jim Kelly. He also published a book about the Bills' first Super Bowl season. For a while he was the President of the Pro Football Writers of America

But now he's working for clevelandbrowns.com? What happened?

http://blogs.clevelandbrowns.com/category/caruccis-call/

I give him credit for hustling to improve his career.

Carucci will: host a new daily radio show on ESPN 850 WKNR in Cleveland

contribute to ClevelandBrowns.com.

continue to host his weekly SiriusXM Radio show.

To me it sounds he's getting more money -- which frankly is a much better deal than rotting at the Buffalo News just to be able to sit in on that B-S Bulldog show on WGR.

I give him credit for hustling to improve his career.

Carucci will: host a new daily radio show on ESPN 850 WKNR in Cleveland

contribute to ClevelandBrowns.com.

continue to host his weekly SiriusXM Radio show.

To me it sounds he's getting more money -- which frankly is a much better deal than rotting at the Buffalo News just to be able to sit in on that B-S Bulldog show on WGR.

I always enjoyed his work and he's a Buffalo guy. It's a shame that the Bills didn't step up to the plate and get him in a similar role. Vic being with Cleveland just seems wrong. It's like your wife leaving you for your brother...which is only acceptable if you can't stand your wife...or your brother. :P

I always enjoyed his work and he's a Buffalo guy. It's a shame that the Bills didn't step up to the plate and get him in a similar role. Vic being with Cleveland just seems wrong. It's like your wife leaving you for your brother...which is only acceptable if you can't stand your wife...or your brother. :P

Chris Brown already has that Jig with the Bills. The Bills were not going to fire him to hire Vic for that position. May be they could have let Hannah go...But then she is probably being paid 1/10th of what Vic would want.

If you look at Vic's career he was in Boston before Buffalo. He not only covers the Browns, he also does press pass for NFL Radio, and a fill in for other spots when the regulars are on vacation. I don't see him going backwards but moved up in his career through the years. On NFL radio he always relatively positive about the Bills and speaks very highly of Buffalo as a city.

Why any of you would be upset with moving up in your career makes no sense. I know I've taken calculated jumps in my last 20 years and worked out well. Never fault a guy for advancing himself, and yes making more money.

The Cleveland Browns are named after poop and everything about them stinks. Cleveland is an even bigger factory of sadness than Buffalo. Holy moly

Original owner and namesake for the Browns (Paul Brown) was the co-founder, first head coach and president of the Cincinatti Bengals which his son Mike Brown now owns. So, the Browns are named after their divisional rivals owner. I'm glad I'm not a Browns fan.

Edit: Paul Brown was their first head coach not owner.

Edited by Kevin

I thought Vic has been covering the Browns for a few years now? You guys make it seem like he is just going to start covering them this year for the first time

I only learned of it recently and was surprised he went from a national media gig (NFL.com) to a local job that is more PR than true journalism.

The Cleveland Browns are named after poop and everything about them stinks. Cleveland is an even bigger factory of sadness than Buffalo. Holy moly

Do you post elsewhere? Or is the term "factory of sadness" just really catching on in respect to Cleveland? Because on another board i frequent, all the Cleveland fans use that phrase to describe their sports fandom and have for some time now

on the wall, 99 problems on the wall.

And a B word ain't one... probably because we spend too much time on a message board. :doh:

Chris Brown already has that Jig with the Bills.

Are you suggesting that in addition to being their shill, they make him do a funny dance?

From a modern era championship standpoint, IIRC, they're actually a lateral factory of sadness (you need to go back to the 1948 Indians). Taking into consideration the NBA, NHL and MLB, they're a proportionately larger factory, but with more opportunity to bust that goose egg.