Western NY-ers, I need your dining advice!

In 2 weeks, me and a friend of mine are driving from an area between Albany and Binghamton, and will be attending the training camps at SJF on the 29th and 30th. We got a hotel in Batavia and plan on hitting up some of the good hot spots for eating in the area. I wanted to know what you guys recommended in terms of where to go.

We're already planning on hitting the Buffalo Brew Pub since it's on our way to Buffao from Batavia anyways, but I'm looking for some good advice. I've only been to WNY once and it was a drive-through on the way to Niagra Falls. This will be my first Bills-related trip ever, as I have never been to a game, either, so if you have any advice about SJF too it would be really appreciated.

The only things that I have read on here reguarding the topic is that the Anchor isn't top dog for wings, that's just the tourist place so I don't want that. And if I'm looking for a good beef on weck, they're pretty easy to find at any restaraunt so I don't need to seek it out, necessarily.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Yeah I know SJF is in Rochester, we plan on doing some driving and since Rochester is so far from us, we figured let's go a little bit further and hit some of the spots that we've been wanting to try. That's the reason why we got the place in Batavia, because we looked on a map and it seemed like a decent distance between our Rochester stop and our Buffalo visits.

And thanks for the tip about Applebees. I'm not really into driving 4-5 hours to eat at a place I could drive 5 minutes to where I live haha. I hear they DO have a Dave and Buster's too, though, so all will not be lost haha.

Yeah I know SJF is in Rochester, we plan on doing some driving and since Rochester is so far from us, we figured let's go a little bit further and hit some of the spots that we've been wanting to try. That's the reason why we got the place in Batavia, because we looked on a map and it seemed like a decent distance between our Rochester stop and our Buffalo visits.

Good to know that's why you're going to Batavia. I can't help that much with restaurants. For the home opener weekend, we always gather at Danny's South on Saturday night by the stadium. There's another location near the airport, I haven't been to that one though.

The two places I would start with are in Buffalo's Southtowns not too far from the stadium.

In East Aurora is the Bar-Bill Tavern.

Great wings and beef on weck, great service, great atmosphere. Their small but respectable offerings of draft beers are served in icy mugs.

A lot of former and present Bills drop in here from time to time.

And East Aurora is a pretty cool little town. No credit cards though.

Not too far from the Bar-Bill and right outside "The Ralph" in Orchard Park is the legendary Big Tree Inn, another players hangout with really good food and comfortable ambience.

I would consider this a good start for your Bills-centric roadie.

Have a great time and be safe.

Guess this really depends on what type of experience you want....more bar/pub with wings, pizza, beef on wreck or more of real restaurants?

BTW, I second Meads suggestion on the Anchor, at least for lunch or happy hour.

Thanks for the info guys, I will be checking these out. As far as what type of experience i'm looking for, I'm not necessarily picky on that, I just want to enjoy the western NY staples where they say if you've been to WNY, you have to go to. That could mean an incredible steakhouse, wings, weck, italian food, or even pizza. Whatcha Got?

Steve's is much better than that overated west seneca joint. I walked in the place where they wearvthe white jackets and walked after seeing their prices

The two places I would start with are in Buffalo's Southtowns not too far from the stadium.

In East Aurora is the Bar-Bill Tavern.

Great wings and beef on weck, great service, great atmosphere. Their small but respectable offerings of draft beers are served in icy mugs.

A lot of former and present Bills drop in here from time to time.

And East Aurora is a pretty cool little town. No credit cards though.

Not too far from the Bar-Bill and right outside "The Ralph" in Orchard Park is the legendary Big Tree Inn, another players hangout with really good food and comfortable ambience.

I would consider this a good start for your Bills-centric roadie.

Have a great time and be safe.

bar-bill was much better ten years ago. It is now the trendy thing tondo in EA. wings are still good. Beef is good the atmosphere has changed. I know i lived there for many years

Thanks for the info guys, I will be checking these out. As far as what type of experience i'm looking for, I'm not necessarily picky on that, I just want to enjoy the western NY staples where they say if you've been to WNY, you have to go to. That could mean an incredible steakhouse, wings, weck, italian food, or even pizza. Whatcha Got?

Dont forget Polish food, German food, Irish food, Friday Fish Fry and -of course- Genny Pounders!

In Rochester the only truly unique to the area food items are white hots and the garbage plate. Tahou's is the original, but in my opinion Dog Town on Monroe Ave does it best. Go for the Triple Threat: two cheeseburgers, one dog, mac salad, homefries, with everything on it. Douse in ketchup and red hot and go to town.

Dino is still the best BBQ in the area, but Sticky Lips is pretty solid as well and is only in Rochester. BBQ garbage plate, pork carolina with mustard based sauce, and the pittsburgh style bbq sandwich are all very good options which you won't find on Dino's menu. Wash it down with a Genny Cream Ale. If you don't sh$t your pants then your dinner is full price, but they take a polaroid of you and hang it on the wall.

In 2 weeks, me and a friend of mine are driving from an area between Albany and Binghamton, and will be attending the training camps at SJF on the 29th and 30th. We got a hotel in Batavia and plan on hitting up some of the good hot spots for eating in the area. I wanted to know what you guys recommended in terms of where to go.

We're already planning on hitting the Buffalo Brew Pub since it's on our way to Buffao from Batavia anyways, but I'm looking for some good advice. I've only been to WNY once and it was a drive-through on the way to Niagra Falls. This will be my first Bills-related trip ever, as I have never been to a game, either, so if you have any advice about SJF too it would be really appreciated.

The only things that I have read on here reguarding the topic is that the Anchor isn't top dog for wings, that's just the tourist place so I don't want that. And if I'm looking for a good beef on weck, they're pretty easy to find at any restaraunt so I don't need to seek it out, necessarily.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

In Batavia absolutely hit this place: http://www.centerstreetsmokehouse.com/

PTR

Dont forget Polish food, German food, Irish food, Friday Fish Fry and -of course- Genny Pounders!

You forgot sushi.... An old Buffalo classic.

Actually great call. It is sad that many of the ethnic groups that made Buffalo what it was and is are being homogenized and lost in the crowd. There is that same sense here in Chicago.

Hah a lot of great advice, I think my trip is starting to take shape, I think I will hit Tahous before practice on Monday, then make our way out to Buffalo afterwards to see the ship yard Orchard Park to see the stadium (any chance they let people in to see around, or is it on lockdown like everything else in the world is now?) and then the Bar-Bill Tavern for dinner, then back to Batavia for the smokehouse, and the hotel. Noon practice Tuesday and then back to Buffalo to hit up Anchor and Schwebls/Steve's, with some sight seeing mixed in the middle. Do you think I can pencil in a stop at your finest WNY cardiac care unit for the heart attack I'm about to have, or do you think I should just disreguard that?

Hah a lot of great advice, I think my trip is starting to take shape, I think I will hit Tahous before practice on Monday, then make our way out to Buffalo afterwards to see the ship yard Orchard Park to see the stadium (any chance they let people in to see around, or is it on lockdown like everything else in the world is now?) and then the Bar-Bill Tavern for dinner, then back to Batavia for the smokehouse, and the hotel. Noon practice Tuesday and then back to Buffalo to hit up Anchor and Schwebls/Steve's, with some sight seeing mixed in the middle. Do you think I can pencil in a stop at your finest WNY cardiac care unit for the heart attack I'm about to have, or do you think I should just disreguard that?

Ingrate.

In Batavia for the greasiest, diviest, diner go to the Pok-A-Dot. I was born in Batavia in 1961 and it's been there longer that me I think. Oh and for chocolates go to Olivers.

No, I have no advice for you. :bag:

Pok-A-Dot still exists?

I grew up in Genesee county too but haven't been down that side of Ellicott, let alone in Batavia at all, in a long time.

I would have bet money on that place having been gone for years. It's amazing how some of those hole in the wall places just hang around forever.

Really depends on what foods your looking for. There's plenty of options. I thought there was a Buffalo/WNY link here somewhere with where to go and what to do. So I guess I'll list a few here. Famous Buffalo places are different from nice lunch/dinner spots. If your just looking to try something you can't get anywhere else:

Cheap and easy:

Lunches:

-Teds hot dogs

-Mighty Taco

These 2 are basically fast food but much better than your normal fast food spots.

Dinner:

-Bar Bill

-Duffs (wings)

-Anchor Bar

-Chefs

All are really good and fairly cheap

Late night/drunk food:

-Mighty Taco (again)

-Jim's Steak Out

If your looking for a little more atmosphere and don't mind spending some more:

Lunches:

-the dinner menu from the cheap places

-Black N Blue (very affordable lunch menu)

-Fat Bobs BBQ

-Kentucky Greg's

Dinner:

-Black N Blue (not as affordable as lunch)

-Buffalo Chop House

-Fiama

-Friars Table

-Melting Pot

-Famous Daves

There's plenty more. Here's off the top of my head for now.

If your eating in Rochester, make sure you get a Garbage Plate at Tahoes and I'm a bigger fan of Sticky Lips than Dinosaur BBQ.

Pok-A-Dot still exists?

I grew up in Genesee county too but haven't been down that side of Ellicott, let alone in Batavia at all, in a long time.

I would have bet money on that place having been gone for years. It's amazing how some of those hole in the wall places just hang around forever.

Nope, still there. I go back and visit at least once a year.

If your eating in Rochester, make sure you get a Garbage Plate at Tahoes and I'm a bigger fan of Sticky Lips than Dinosaur BBQ.

Wow, better than Dino BBQ, that's a bold statement. This is worth investigating further, because Dino is my favorite restaraunt out of anywhere, but I go to the Syracuse one, not Rochester.

Wow, better than Dino BBQ, that's a bold statement. This is worth investigating further, because Dino is my favorite restaraunt out of anywhere, but I go to the Syracuse one, not Rochester.

Yes, much better. The Rochester one has gone downhill IMO. I've had multiple bad meals at Dino, never a bad one at sticky lips.

bar-bill was much better ten years ago. It is now the trendy thing tondo in EA. wings are still good. Beef is good the atmosphere has changed. I know i lived there for many years

Ten years ago? That's probably about the last time I was there. I'm sure it's still terrific though although it sounds like they might have expanded/remodeled or something?

The place used to have some real authentic charm.

You should definitely do a drive-by of the stadium. There's a Bills store right at the stadium. It's open from 10am to 4pm Monday thru Saturday.

http://www.shopthebills.com/location-and-events.aspx

And if you're gonna go to the stadium (and if you didn't, that would be kind of ironic) you really should stop in The Big Tree for wings. Possibly instead of Bar-bill if it's a toss-up.

Really depends on what foods your looking for. There's plenty of options. I thought there was a Buffalo/WNY link here somewhere with where to go and what to do. So I guess I'll list a few here. Famous Buffalo places are different from nice lunch/dinner spots. If your just looking to try something you can't get anywhere else:

Cheap and easy:

Lunches:

-Teds hot dogs

-Mighty Taco

-Jim's Steak Out

These 2 are basically fast food but much better than your normal fast food spots.

Dinner:

-Bar Bill

-Duffs (wings)

-Anchor Bar

-Chefs

All are really good and fairly cheap

The top three places are not only cheap and easy but they're also historically significant Buffalo eateries for what they are.

Tons of Bills fans eat at Teds and Mighty Taco so don't you dare go to a McDonalds or Burger King or whatever… pay a little bit more and eat at one of these trademark Buffalo eateries instead.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

This is great guys, thank you for your time. And no, I will not be going anywhere near a golden arch or BK, I really want to experience the regional specialties. And Mighty Taco, I almost forgot about that one, that's definitely on my list now. I have heard great things. Is it comperable to Moe's Southwest Grill? We have a Moe's about an hour from my house in Binghamton, are they similar or is Mighty Taco much better?

And I've heard of Ted's hot dogs, but don't understand... is it just dogs they have? I enjoy a good dog now and then, but is it just fantastic dogs and people embraced it, or is there more to it? I've heard of it enough that it's definitely on my maybe list.

Thanks again guys.

This is great guys, thank you for your time. And no, I will not be going anywhere near a golden arch or BK, I really want to experience the regional specialties. And Mighty Taco, I almost forgot about that one, that's definitely on my list now. I have heard great things. Is it comperable to Moe's Southwest Grill? We have a Moe's about an hour from my house in Binghamton, are they similar or is Mighty Taco much better?

And I've heard of Ted's hot dogs, but don't understand... is it just dogs they have? I enjoy a good dog now and then, but is it just fantastic dogs and people embraced it, or is there more to it? I've heard of it enough that it's definitely on my maybe list.

Thanks again guys.

Mighty is like a gourmet Taco Bell. Get the El Nino, its Mightys signature. If you like the Moes type of thing, I'd recommend Salsaritas, or Chipotle, much better IMO.

There is no way to explain Teds Hot Dogs and do it justice. From the quality of hot dog, to the way it's grilled over a fire, to the hot sauce and all the fixings that go on it. All I can tell you is that I've taken many out of towners to Teds, they claim to not even like hot dogs, yet they think its delicious. Many buy packs of Salens and take them home along with the Teds Hot Sauce in a bottle.

Just trust me when I tell you, Teds will be the best hot dog you've ever eaten. I don't care how many times you've been to Nathan's or anywhere else, it doesn't compare to the chat broiled dogs at Teds.

Chefs is a great place that many celebrities go. Many here can't stand it and say its over rated. Go there and get the Spaghetti Parm, you won't regret it. At under $10/person for a lunch, you really can't beat it. My advice, ask for the cheese extra crispy. But that's just me.

I'd also add in Bocce Pizza for cheese and pepperoni. Best you'll ever have.

If your looking for a delicious burger that you can't get anywhere else, Grover's. it's a small bar/restaurant that serves absolutely amazing beef. My favorite is the Blue Burger with Blue Cheese on it along with Applewood Smoked Bacon. It used to be President Grover Cleveland's hunting cabin (modified of course, but minimally I'd bet). Just remember to bring cash, they don't except card there. And be prepared for a 45 min wait minimum for dinner. Lunches are hit or miss.

If your in the Niagara Falls area, male sure you stop by Violas. Double Steak & Cheese subs are amazing. Doesn't get better. Get it with oil and miracle whip. Another place that doesn't take card, so bring your cash.

I'm 260lbs for a reason, I eat, and I eat a lot. Just trust a person that moved back from Vegas and one of his reasons was because he missed the Buffalo food. It's not what is made, it's how it's made. Pizza is just worlds apart from what your uses to. I would rather eat Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns any day if the week compared to the pizza we used to order when I worked in Sullivan. The people I used to work with used to crave it, beg for it. Us Buffalo guys would literally laugh at the quality of it. Then be disgusted there was nothing else to order or eat and barely get down 2 slices.

Edited by mrags

Pok-A-Dot still exists?

Yep, just had their 60 year celebration a few weeks ago. The same two guys who opened it still run it...more or less.

http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/article_ffccf04e-d56c-11e2-b392-001a4bcf887a.html

Worth a stop if its convenient since you are staying in Batavia...try the pepper and egg sandwich for breakfast on your way out to Roch or Buf.

I grew up in Batavia but left long ago. However, I frequent occasionally since my parents still live there. The only other place I can recommend would be for breakfast, too.Sport of Kings across from the race track. You are probably staying at a hotel near there.

Yep, just had their 60 year celebration a few weeks ago. The same two guys who opened it still run it...more or less.

http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/article_ffccf04e-d56c-11e2-b392-001a4bcf887a.html

Worth a stop if its convenient since you are staying in Batavia...try the pepper and egg sandwich for breakfast on your way out to Roch or Buf.

I grew up in Batavia but left long ago. However, I frequent occasionally since my parents still live there. The only other place I can recommend would be for breakfast, too.Sport of Kings across from the race track. You are probably staying at a hotel near there.

Thanks- I was unsure what to do about breakfast, but I will check this out for the pepper and egg sandwich, on our way to Tuesday's practice. Great tip.

I think I'm going to have to plan another trip out to Buffalo just to eat at half of these places. You guys sound spot-on with all these great local flavors to eat at, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!

Alex of Alex's by the racetrack is a relative mine. Lots of restaurateurs in my family

And Mighty Taco, I almost forgot about that one, that's definitely on my list now. I have heard great things. Is it comperable to Moe's Southwest Grill? We have a Moe's about an hour from my house in Binghamton, are they similar or is Mighty Taco much better?

I've never been to Moe's but it sounds dissimilar.

The main things you have to know about Mighty Taco:

Mighty Taco built their success on what I'd call Gringo Mex, not anything closely resembling Mexican or Tex-Mex. In other words, the tacos and burritos which made them famous are made with ground beef, not sliced beef or sliced chicken.

The first time many Buffalonians had "a mighty" was at 4 in the morning or thereabouts… after a night out on the town. Some of the popularity of Mighty Taco is based on a combination of habit, nostalgia, and sentimentality.

There's an outside chance that you won't like their product but seeing as you're on a WNY football and culinary journey, it's highly advisable that you try it out, if only to cross it off your list.

That said I find their food scrumptious.

The flavor and texture are good and the portions are satisfying both by weight and by effect.

Some of my WNY favorites are; (and none are more than 15-20 mins from the stadium)

Teds charbroiled hot dogs

Louies slime dogs

Mighty taco (buffito is yummy)

Chefs (spaghetti parm Is my favorite)

Dannys for beef on weck and chicken wing soup

Duffs for wings

Ninos for pizza (local buffalo pizza is awesome and way under rated)

Charlaps for ice cream

Labatts blue light to wash it all down

Anything listed above can be had for less than $12 . I left out nice expensive restaurants and concentrated on the cheap yummy stuff that's fairly unique to the buffalo experience and close to the stadium.

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

Best garbage plates, IMO, were at Bay Hots in Webster. Sadly, I recently discovered that they have closed shop. Nick Tahou's plates aren't really very good. You go there more for the experience....crack head watching and the occasional shooting/stabbing. Agree on the Mighty Taco recommendation. Definitely a must after 10 or 11 beers.

• 2 weeks later...