Official OTA/Minicamp Thread (May/June)

eball

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotcha.

I think there's enough return talent on the team that I'd like to see him not do any returning.

To your point about punt vs kick returns, it was always weird to me that the Bills used him on kickoffs but not punts.

Yes, he proved to be pretty good on kickoff returns but at Troy, 7 of his 8 return touchdowns were punt returns.

It seems like the Bills had him miscast all these years.

Leodis is an elite returner on both KR and PR, although probably better at PR than KR. The reason he was used on KR more than PR in his time on the Bills is because his first 3-4 years we had Roscoe there, who was one of the best all time as far as average goes. CJ was also a dynamic PR in college so he got his shot, too.

It's a lot of wear and tear on the body to be a full time player, a PR AND a KR. You hardly ever see that in the league. Guys will usually be a full time player and one or the other. Leodis, IMO, almost for sure, will be a full-time CB (unless he gets beat out) and the PR but not KR.

I think the rotation went Jackson, Manuel, Kolb today, or maybe they rotate regularly. They had Tavaris with the first team, Manuel through a pick 6, then Kolb through another afterwards. Maybe over reading?

EJ and Da'Rick on another long TD play. Third time (and the fourth long TD I have heard from Da'Rick). Nice.

If they keep doing this, over and over, it's going to get difficult to ignore. From what I can tell the D is way ahead of the O(as it should be at this point), but, every so often this bomb gets dropped in spite of that.

That does mean something, despite no pads, OTAs, yada yada. Executing that play is 100% about athletic ability. It's speed, route running, and a perfect throw.

EJM and Rogers have it, so they can do it. If they keep it up, and I was the coach? I almost have to get that on the field.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/OTA-Practice-Notes---Day-6/46b8d837-9186-4aea-af60-b3ddffe57730

"Rookie connection strikes again

EJ Manuel and undrafted rookie receiver Da’Rick Rogers again hooked up for a deep ball Thursday. Bills fans keeping track will remember Manuel and Rogers already connected deep once last week and once for an 80-yard touchdown Tuesday.

On Thursday, Rogers ripped right up the seam and Manuel’s throw was on the money. Seventy yards later the duo had its third big play of OTAs."

Should be interesting to see if this will continue throughout mini-camp, training camp, preseason etc... Andy Dalton & AJ Green were both drafted in the same year by the Bengals and have been good together since. It would be great to see that same chemistry with Manuel, Rogers (and hopefully the rest of the Bills WR's).

I think the rotation went Jackson, Manuel, Kolb today, or maybe they rotate regularly. They had Tavaris with the first team, Manuel through a pick 6, then Kolb through another afterwards. Maybe over reading?

Both were off-of tipped balls.

Obviously Manuel needs to limit mistakes, but above all we need to see if Manuel can bounce back after them. Last season, if Kaepernick made a bad play he would almost always follow it up with a big drive/big game. Manuel seems to be very level-headed and I can see him having similar success.

I wonder who Rodgers has beaten on those 3 plays. Also I'm a bit worried about out O but i guess we'll see what happens when they put on pads and start getting a bit more time with the play book. The new D seems to at least be able to cause a stir instead of hoping the other team falls asleep.