2013 R....O....Y.....

Something tells me that Tavon Austin is in a great position to put up big #'s for St. Louis this season. I certainly hope EJ is in the running, but if I were a betting man, my money would be on Austin.

I'm sipping the kool-aid right now...I'll start chugging after EJ goes for 300+ yards and 4 TD's against tha Patsies.

Something tells me that Tavon Austin is in a great position to put up big #'s for St. Louis this season. I certainly hope EJ is in the running, but if I were a betting man, my money would be on Austin.

I'm well aware that this is a minority opinion but after watching lots of video of Tavon Austin, I have serious doubts that he'll have a long and successful NFL career.

He's way too much of a finesse player.

Is there a chance that he's the second coming of DeSean Jackson? Yes.

But when you count the number of players in the modern era who were 5'8 1/2" and 174 pounds and made an appreciable impact, the list is miniscule. Guys that short who were successful tended to be about 10 pounds heavier and had a bit of a bowling ball aspect to their games. Austin is a waif.

Moreover his body is so lithe that I believe that he'll have durability issues and that the physicality of the NFL will be a huge adjustment for him.

JMO.

I'm well aware that this is a minority opinion but after watching lots of video of Tavon Austin, I have serious doubts that he'll have a long and successful NFL career.

But when you count the number of players in the modern era who were 5'8 1/2" and 174 pounds and made an appreciable impact, the list is miniscule. Guys that short who were successful tended to be about 10 pounds heavier and had a bit of a bowling ball aspect to their games. Austin is a waif.

Moreover his body is so lithe that I believe that he'll have durability issues and that the physicality of the NFL will be a huge adjustment for him.

JMO.

This thread is about who we think might be 2013 ROY, SJBF. Not who we think will have a long, productive career. Try to stay with us here. :nana:

Stronger offensive R.O.Y. candidates than Manuel, who I don't believe will start week one:

Tavon Austin

Johnathan Franklin or Eddie Lacy

Robert Woods

Edited by ny33

JMO.

Mmmmn. Well. Danny Amendola. Was he injured because of his body type, or because of the type balls Bradford threw him?

We'll see. Jury is still out on Sam Bradford, but they're starting to deliberate.

I don't care if EJ is "rookie of the year". I care if he goes to the playoffs, and if he's a superbowl winning QB in 3 years.

Mmmmn. Well. Danny Amendola. Was he injured because of his body type, or because of the type balls Bradford threw him?

We'll see. Jury is still out on Sam Bradford, but they're starting to deliberate.

I don't care if EJ is "rookie of the year". I care if he goes to the playoffs, and if he's a superbowl winning QB in 3 years.

Amendola is 5"11 and 188 pounds so there are plenty of wide receivers of his size that have been both successful and unsuccessful, healthy and injury prone.

Austin on the other hand is under 5'9" and just 174 pounds.

How many players of that stature can we even name who were successful in the NFL?

Then you have to factor in that Austin was taken 8th overall.

That's a helluva high draft position for him to live up to.

Should be a strong possibility although its going to depend on how many starts he gets if Marrone holds him out 6 starts its going to be hard to see him winning over a player who played well over the course of a year.

If Russell Wilson won the starting job over Flynn and took his team to the playoffs, while keap put Alex smith on the bench.. then anything can happen. It's not impossible to believe. If he is going to be the next franchise QB, works hard enough, learns fast enough, he could win the job in four months....

what has me sold on this kid was the story about his senior bowl and how he carries himself in front of the camera. No one can be coached or act that well.... This kid looks grounded, hungry and skilled.... If you compare college stats, he had better QBR, comp%, YPA than the guys he is up against for the starting nod.

If he starts and the bills make playoffs he's a leading vote getter for ROY...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I'm sipping the kool-aid right now...I'll start chugging after EJ goes for 300+ yards and 4 TD's against tha Patsies.

It is very hard for rookie WRs to put up big numbers and also consistent statistics to be ROY.

If Russell Wilson won the starting job over Flynn, and took his team to the playoffs, while keap put Alex smith on the bench.. then anything can happen. It's not impossible to believe. If he is going to be the next franchise QB, works hard enough, learns fast enough, he could win the job in four months.

And don't forget RGIII won the starting job in training camp.

One thing to note about these three phenomenal rookie seasons is that all three of them had a great Running Game to take the pressure of the QB himself. It allowed for excellent execution of Read Option or the Play Action. Gore, Morris and Lynch were the best buddies for the rookie QBs. It would be up to CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson to provide the same level of comfort for EJ to operate.

JMO.

I'm with you San Jose. I've been saying for a while now that Austin will be a huge bust. If he even sniffed the toughness that the Desean Jackson had he would be a solid NFL receiver. However he's much more closer to Roscoe Parrish than Jackson.

I don't think so. Kelly was fabulous as a 1st year/rookie QB and he didn't win ROY.. Yes, he had pro seasoning, but when "Kelly Is God!" banners are seen at your first game and you deliver on such lofty claims but DON'T win ROY, I don't see any way EJ will..

Then again, Dennis Shaw was ROY.. How'd that turn out?

I don't think so. Kelly was fabulous as a 1st year/rookie QB and he didn't win ROY.. Yes, he had pro seasoning, but when "Kelly Is God!" banners are seen at your first game and you deliver on such lofty claims but DON'T win ROY, I don't see any way EJ will..

Then again, Dennis Shaw was ROY.. How'd that turn out?

yeah, but Kelly wasnt really a rookie in his first year.

• 4 months later...

kiko has been playing really well thru 2 games as well. he could have a kuechly rookie year type season.

keeks had 164 tackles 103 solo 1 sack 3 FR 2 ints and 8 PD

kiko thru 2 games 19 tackles 14 solo 1 sack 1 FF 1 int and 1 PD

only 2 games in but he looks the part and is flying around so far

kiko has been playing really well thru 2 games as well. he could have a kuechly rookie year type season.

keeks had 164 tackles 103 solo 1 sack 3 FR 2 ints and 8 PD

kiko thru 2 games 19 tackles 14 solo 1 sack 1 FF 1 int and 1 PD

only 2 games in but he looks the part and is flying around so far

One of the amazing things about Kiko is that he's played 100% of the Bills defensive snaps. As a rookie MLB in his first two games that's pretty amazing.

One of the amazing things about Kiko is that he's played 100% of the Bills defensive snaps. As a rookie MLB in his first two games that's pretty amazing.

he hasn't? i thought he has played 100% of the snaps. if not 100 its gotta be close to it. high 90s for sure

Kiko has been really impressive too. What a football player. Int fumble recovery sack.... Loads of tackles... he can do it all.