Rapaport: don't expect Byrd to show up to workouts

I wouldn't read too much into this. Ever since we drafted him, Byrd has been all about using excuses to miss as many practices as possible. Bruce Smith did this to an extent. Bruce had "injuries". Byrd has had many original excuses including not attending his first mini-camp due to "School" even though he was already drafted and could have told his school to stick it. I would bet he has missed more practices while healthy than any Bill in history.

Personally I think his nickname should be J

rus Byrd.

I find this annoying but he does produce on the field.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, more franchise players should do this. An injury can happen on any play. He blows out his knee in an OTA, he will be hard pressed to get a new deal. This might be his last time to really cash in. We all know what kind of a player Bryd is and I'm not that worried about this yet. Hopefully, they can hammer out a new deal because we don't have many players who might be the best at their position.

Am i the only one who thinks hes overrated? He makes great plays on poorly thrown balls....

He's also a sure-tackler, a great blitzer AND we've seen--on more than one occasion--when he makes diving interceptions on passes that are thrown just fine.

Also, remember last year when George Wilson dropped two would-have-been-game-sealing interceptions in two separate games? Both of which landed right in his lap? Both games resulting in losses? Don't look a sure-handed safety in the mouth.

Edited by taC giB ehT

He's also a sure-tackler, a great blitzer AND we've seen--on more than one occasion--when he makes diving interceptions on passes that are thrown just fine.

Also, remember last year when George Wilson dropped two would-have-been-game-sealing interceptions in two separate games? Both of which landed right in his lap? Both games resulting in losses? Don't look a sure-handed safety in the mouth.

But but but he isnt going to a voluntary workout in April! Hes a malcontent and we should trade him

This thread demonstrates beautifully the lack of understanding of some that this is a business to the players as well as the owners.

We aren't talking about Byrd signing up to play for his high school team due to the enjoyment of playing and maybe the hopes of hooking up with a cheerleader. He needs to consider his future, and there are many millions of dollars at stake here. He is just trying to maximize his profit like anyone would (or at least should) do in his place.

Unfortunately, there is a good chance the Bills will eventually lose their extremely talented, young Free Safety.

This is not the fault of the Bills FO, but rather Eugene Parker.

I'm not sure where the relationship fell apart, if it was the Jason Peters deal or before that, but Parker will NOT make it easy for the Bills to re-sign his clients. I have no problem with the Bills over-paying Byrd a bit to keep him around. A talented FS such as Byrd can be a game-changer (not so much for a LG). But it takes two to tango, and Parker never seems like he likes to dance with the Bills.

This brings me back to my hatred for how much power agents have over the NFL. They can solely shape or destroy franchises.

I wouldn't read too much into this. Ever since we drafted him, Byrd has been all about using excuses to miss as many practices as possible. Bruce Smith did this to an extent. Bruce had "injuries". Byrd has had many original excuses including not attending his first mini-camp due to "School" even though he was already drafted and could have told his school to stick it. I would bet he has missed more practices while healthy than any Bill in history.

Personally I think his nickname should be J

rus Byrd.

I find this annoying but he does produce on the field.

Is this a joke?

Unfortunately, there is a good chance the Bills will eventually lose their extremely talented, young Free Safety.

I'm not sure where the relationship fell apart, if it was the Jason Peters deal or before that, but Parker will NOT make it easy for the Bills to re-sign his clients. I have no problem with the Bills over-paying Byrd a bit to keep him around. A talented FS such as Byrd can be a game-changer (not so much for a LG). But it takes two to tango, and Parker never seems like he likes to dance with the Bills.

This brings me back to my hatred for how much power agents have over the NFL. They can solely shape or destroy franchises.

An agent's job is to get his client as much money as possible. Not to give a hometown discount to your favourite team. So, in terms of Jason Peters, he's a great agent. And if he can negotiate a long term deal for Byrd to make him the highest paid safety in the league, then he'll have done his job again.

Seriously people, we have cap room, and the money is not coming out of your pocket. You need to stop looking at whether he's worth what he's asking and look at it who he's gonna be replaced with.

An agent's job is to get his client as much money as possible. Not to give a hometown discount to your favourite team. So, in terms of Jason Peters, he's a great agent. And if he can negotiate a long term deal for Byrd to make him the highest paid safety in the league, then he'll have done his job again.

Seriously people, we have cap room, and the money is not coming out of your pocket. You need to stop looking at whether he's worth what he's asking and look at it who he's gonna be replaced with.

Im not looking for a hometown discount. Im only looking for a reasonable negotiation partner. Again, I dont mind overpaying a bit for Byrd.

The name Eugene Parker should ring a bell around here. He's Byrd's agent and just happened to be Jason Peters' representative. Good luck Russ/Overdorf.

http://www.kval.com/...-194387051.html

Buffalo spent a boatload on UFA's last year in hopes of getting over the edge. Now that Buddy's first rebuild has failed miserably, it looks like they're unable to re-sign one of their own draft picks as those contracts are inhibiting them. And before anyone says you can't sign them all, Byrd has been on the radar for more than just one season.

I was thinking same thing about Eugene... This is 1 deal we MUST get done. A pro bowl level safety in "the new NFL" where teams throw more than ever is crucial. We already have a huge hole at SS, we must get Byrd signed long term. This is not a guard that we knew was gonna get over paid like (LEvitre) in FA.. Signing Byrd who is still very young and a building block for the D just has to get done.

I dont blame him for not showing at OTA's... SHOW HIM THE MONEY! we have the cap space and if we have to over pay a bit.. so be it... like i said, this is not a guard who can be replaced by someone in mid rounds or landing a guys through waivers or late FA cuz some vet is always a late cut. If there is 1 thing Buddy HAS done a good job at (and it may be just 1 thing!) is grabbing guards.. Rhinehard, Urbik etc..

Im not looking for a hometown discount. Im only looking for a reasonable negotiation partner. Again, I dont mind overpaying a bit for Byrd.

I see what you're saying, but reason has nothing to do with it. His job is to get his client the most money, regardless of where its coming from. Everyone thought it was ridiculous that Peters wanted to renegotiate and ask for as much money as he did. But he did eventually get it, so in terms of doing his job, Eugene Parker hit one out of the park.

Is this a joke?

Is this a joke?

Personally I think it is a joke that players who consider themselves stars don't want to practice, so I would say yes, Byrd's actions are a joke. Other people say that his performance on the field during games should mean everything. I can see there point but worry about Byrd continuously opting out of practice for his whole career sending a bad message in the locker room. I think needs to be more of a leader.

This is further evidence of Nix's incompetence. Both Byrd and Levitre (our two best players) should have been extended a year ago before they were free agents. I posted this exact topic, but many of the Nix apologists said there is plenty of time to make the deal. Nix has no idea what he is doing and is among the worst GM in bills history. Levitre is now gone with no compensation and Byrd will be gone soon. You can't win by letting your best young players leave.

This is further evidence of Nix's incompetence. Both Byrd and Levitre (our two best players) should have been extended a year ago before they were free agents. I posted this exact topic, but many of the Nix apologists said there is plenty of time to make the deal. Nix has no idea what he is doing and is among the worst GM in bills history. Levitre is now gone with no compensation and Byrd will be gone soon. You can't win by letting your best young players leave.

So you are under the impression that all the way up to this year's Free Agency period, the Bills made NO attempts to talk to their agents at all? They just left them flapping in the wind? Even though Nix has extended guys like Kyle Williams and Freddie Jackson, and got Stevie Johnson signed to a great deal before FA ever began... :rolleyes:

Please. It takes two to tango. Levitre's camp made it clear from the beginning that they wanted to test the market. With Eugene Parker being Byrd's agent, it is much safer to assume that they did not want to talk until they tested the market either.

If you believe that players are sitting around, waiting to jump at any offer that is made 2 years before their contracts are up, then you are a more incompetent fan than Nix is an incompetent GM.

Edited by DrDareustein

So you are under the impression that all the way up to this year's Free Agency period, the Bills made NO attempts to talk to their agents at all? They just left them flapping in the wind? Even though Nix has extended guys like Kyle Williams and Freddie Jackson, and got Stevie Johnson signed to a great deal before FA ever began... :rolleyes:

Please. It takes two to tango. Levitre's camp made it clear from the beginning that they wanted to test the market. With Eugene Parker being Byrd's agent, it is much safer to assume that they did not want to talk until they tested the market either.

If you believe that players are sitting around, waiting to jump at any offer that is made 2 years before their contracts are up, then you are a more incompetent fan than Nix is an incompetent GM.

Why do you have the quote "In Nix I trust" What possible moves has he done to earn your trust? Obviously his won/loss record isn't the factor. If you are related to Buddy I understand, but you are an apologist for the worst organization in the NFL of which Buddy is in charge of football.

(1) Please. It takes two to tango. Levitre's camp made it clear from the beginning that they wanted to test the market. With Eugene Parker being Byrd's agent, it is much safer to assume that they did not want to talk until they tested the market either.

(2_ If you believe that players are sitting around, waiting to jump at any offer that is made 2 years before their contracts are up, then you are a more incompetent fan than Nix is an incompetent GM.

1.) Reports show that Buffalo never made a move. Levitre also said he would want to stay in Buffalo (although he said these things while still a Bill and while also expressing a desire to find out what his options are)

2.) Precisely that point I made that ignited a Twitter pissing contest with Tim Graham (shocking I know).

Why do you have the quote "In Nix I trust" What possible moves has he done to earn your trust? Obviously his won/loss record isn't the factor. If you are related to Buddy I understand, but you are an apologist for the worst organization in the NFL of which Buddy is in charge of football.

What "possible?" So, narry a positive personnel move under his watch? Do you really believe this to be true?

As I said, the time in camp isn't the worrisome part. The lack of signing the contract is the worrisome part.

Ok, understood. He'll sign in time to practice and play. He may miss some time but he's certainly not going to miss any paychecks.

It appears that he does not want to be here. He has value. Let's get good compensation while we have some leverage.

I agree. Byrd is good, but he is not THAT good. If he doesn't want to sign his one year tender, and is thinking he should be the highest paid safety in the game, lets move him for quality picks before the draft. He still was part of a historically bad Defense. With a new coaching regime, anyone who is not on board from the start needs to be moved.

Am i the only one who thinks hes overrated? He makes great plays on poorly thrown balls....

Byrd will always be overrated after his incredibly fortunate rookie season. He's a good ball hawk, and elite at his position, but that has more to do with FS being the least important position in the secondary. He's also absolutely no help in the run game, and I know how PFF grades him.

I honestly think the Bills wouldn't miss a beat without him, especially with the mass of CBs they always draft they could stick in his position.

OR he just doesnt want to get injured during a stupid mini-camp when he has NO deal yet. Him not showing up to camp has nothing to do with whether he wants a long term deal or a trade. Either way, he'd be stupid to risk injury of any kind.

^This. Anyone in an advisory role to Byrd would be advising him not to work out without the protections a contract brings. There is nothing more to it than that.

GO BILLS!!!

Byrd has refused to sign his franchise tender. Most franchise players sign their tender and then continue negotiating. This is significant IMO no matter how people spin it. Clearly there's some trouble in paradise.

Point of clarification: I thought that not having the option to refuse the franchise tag was the whole point of the franchise tag in the first place..?

Point of clarification: I thought that not having the option to refuse the franchise tag was the whole point of the franchise tag in the first place..?

I think, in theory, you are correct, but if a player refuses to sign and the situation bocomes toxic, the team is kind of forced to either trade them (which they likely want) or deal with the repercussions of having a guy on the roster who doesn't want to be there, and will likely miss as much time as they can...IIRC, there was somebody (Albert Haynesworth in Tennessee maybe?) who went this rout. The player has no legal leg to stand on (it is part of the CBA), but they can make it very clear that they are going to be a pain in the ass, and a distraction, if they don't want to stay with the team, even for another year, likely at an inflated rate. Byrd seems like a good guy, pretty grounded, so I doubt it gets too acrimonious...but then there is the Eugen Parker factor too.

Edited by Buftex

Agreed. Any team in market for a safety in 1st round comes to mind. Just so happens 3 of those teams (St. Louis, Cincy, and San Fran) have a lot of extra picks.

Steelers need a safety as well. They must be reeling that they just lost Harrison to Cincy. Perhaps one of them will give us their first for Byrd. Or a 2nd and 3rd.

I think, in theory, you are correct, but if a player refuses to sign and the situation bocomes toxic, the team is kind of forced to either trade them (which they likely want) or deal with the repercussions of having a guy on the roster who doesn't want to be there, and will likely miss as much time as they can...IIRC, there was somebody (Albert Haynesworth in Tennessee maybe?) who went this rout. The player has no legal leg to stand on (it is part of the CBA), but they can make it very clear that they are going to be a pain in the ass, and a distraction, if they don't want to stay with the team, even for another year, likely at an inflated rate. Byrd seems like a good guy, pretty grounded, so I doubt it gets too acrimonious...but then there is the Eugen Parker factor too.

Eugen Parker is an a-hole.

Nix: sign Fitzpatrick, a carrear backup, to a long term deal after 6 good games. While at the same time failing to sign Byrd or Levitre in a timley manner. Up next, the exit of Wood.

I suspect most good agents are.

You are prob correct. Trying to get the players as much $$ as possible gets them as much $$ as possible. I'd prob like it if I had someone like him as an agent. All teams have to deal with these guys, Nix should have gotten this done a long time ago.

1.) Reports show that Buffalo never made a move. Levitre also said he would want to stay in Buffalo (although he said these things while still a Bill and while also expressing a desire to find out what his options are)

The "reports" that are selectively leaked to the press for negotiating through the media don't give us a complete or accurate view of exactly what happened. Sure, Levitre said he would like to stay in Buffalo, players are famous for making those types of public PR moves to protect their image. They also said that they wanted to test the market.

All we know is that Buffalo never made a formal offer to Levitre's camp. But why would they? It's quite possible that the Bills talked with Levitre's agent and got their starting number and said "Good luck with that". Also, once Levitre's camp says they want to test the market, it would be a stupid business move to make an offer as they are just negotiating against themselves at that point.

The FO has proven in the prior 2 offseasons that they do make offers and negotiate early (or as early as possible). But there can be factors and moves made on the player's side that makes it a bad idea to do so sometimes. The way the Levitre situation played out, that happened to be one of those times.