Falcons release Tyson Clabo

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Buddy should be based every chance we get. How can this team have so many holes to fill after three years of his regime. We should be adding the final pieces needed for a run deep in the playoffs by now. Buddy should be bashed and so should the rest of the front office until they produce a team that can win on a regular basis and complete with the best teams in the NFL.

Like I said, this is TBD baby! Go ahead and bash Buddy all you want but he wasn't wrong on Clabo.

Just saw this. It's amazing how things work out sometimes.

Anyone know why? Contract, play fallen off?

Another guy Bills fans were clamoring for at the same time was Cowboys tackle Doug Free.

Clabo signed for 5 years and $25 million three days after Free signed for 4 years and $32 million. Both have underperformed their contracts.

I was in the large group of people beating the drum for Clabo. That same offseason many of us (again myself included) were hoping the Bills would target TEs Zach Miller and Kevin Boss.

All of those players got career contracts just as they were hitting the downsides of their careers.

I bet he ends up in Arizona

I could see him re-signing with Atlanta too.

I absolutely love when things like this happen. It's the ultimate shut up to those that bash the FO for every single player that doesn't sign with us.

Last year lots of us wanted WRs Pierre Garcon and/or Laurent Robinson. Seems like we're in that large group of people that aren't that great at identifying good free agent targets.

I am against signing Clabo to play LT.

That's good because he's never played LT.

I don't know, can't we trade for Chaf Rinhartnesaser??

Chas.

!@#$ Chas.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

edit: If Zach Miller can get healthy, he could return to being a Pro Bowl performer. As far as Doug Free, there are rumors that the Cowboys will release him if they can get his replacement in the draft.

Team X is a superbowl contender that means Bills fans say sign him immediately. Again I ask, why would we want a player that a team that is a superbowl contender and needs all the talent they can to get to and win a superbowl dump this guy?

It just boggles my mind. If he were worth a damn then X team wouldn't be cutting him.

You really don't understand the salary cal era do you?

I'm not sold on him being as good as people seem to think he is. I know his stats for run blocking and pass pro were good when we were interested a few years ago but since then I have tried to focus on him when watching the Hawks and he seemed very susceptible to speed rushers with inside moves as well as the outside. Not saying he would not be an upgrade just maybe not as much as people think.

RTs are a dime a dozen. The love & dismay over Clabo here was hilarious.

A good RT is not easy to find.

Like I said, this is TBD baby! Go ahead and bash Buddy all you want but he wasn't wrong on Clabo.

Let me sum up this thread:

1) Clabo released

2) Fan haters: "see, he was a free agent bust, all you people who bashed the Bills for not getting Clabo signed were wrong"

3) Metrics show Clabo was the top rated RT over last 3 seasons

4) Fan haters: "see, Buddy was right for pursuing Clabo" :doh:

There really is only one thing to say to all of you who somehow blame the fans.....not the Bills organization......for the Bills losing the past 13 years:

SCOREBOARD

Stop sh*t talking and start winning and then you can complain about the rough treatment.

Let me sum up this thread:

1) Clabo released

2) Fan haters: "see, he was a free agent bust, all you people who bashed the Bills for not getting Clabo signed were wrong"

3) Metrics show Clabo was the top rated RT over last 3 seasons

4) Fan haters: "see, Buddy was right for pursuing Clabo" :doh:

There really is only one thing to say to all of you who somehow blame the fans.....not the Bills organization......for the Bills losing the past 13 years:

SCOREBOARD

Stop sh*t talking and start winning and then you can complain about the rough treatment.

Buddy says shove metrics up your a**, Clabo was a turnstile and not worth the money. You crap on him for not signing the guy, and if he did, and Clabo sucked, you'd crap on him for a bad signing. Like I said, it's TBD baby. If you read my posts, I said you can bash Buddy for a lot of things but not for everything and certainly not for Clabo.

I have said I am for drafting a tackle in the first and kicking Glenn inside. I am against signing Clabo to play LT. I only want Glenn inside if it is long term. Signing a vet is not a longterm answer to our line. In a few years we would be back in the same position.

I agree on the tackle in the 1st, but i'd rather see Lane Johnson on the left side.

Glenn is staying at LT. I don't think there is even any question about it.

I disagree and think there is a question. Kick Cordy inside and get this fast, strong, mean nasty tackle to put on the outside who dares people to touch his QB and you have something to go with. Johnson - Glenn - Wood - Urbik - Clabo; this I think along with Kolb gives Buffalo chance to win some games.

Buddy says shove metrics up your a**, Clabo was a turnstile and not worth the money. You crap on him for not signing the guy, and if he did, and Clabo sucked, you'd crap on him for a bad signing. Like I said, it's TBD baby. If you read my posts, I said you can bash Buddy for a lot of things but not for everything and certainly not for Clabo.

SCOREBOARD

I disagree and think there is a question. Kick Cordy inside and get this fast, strong, mean nasty tackle to put on the outside who dares people to touch his QB and you have something to go with. Johnson - Glenn - Wood - Urbik - Clabo; this I think along with Kolb gives Buffalo chance to win some games.

1] There have been at least two Bills players in the last couple weeks who have said Glenn is a fantastic player, and I think Eric Wood said he is staying at tackle. 2] Buddy is not only stubborn, but he came right out and said "we have two tackles". He loves the fact that he proved naysayers wrong and he is not going to scrap something that clearly worked. It's possible that later on we will take a tackle and play him at guard.

I agree on the tackle in the 1st, but i'd rather see Lane Johnson on the left side.

When Buddy Nix took over as GM he said he wanted to make the Bills a big, physical team.

If you look at the OL he has acquired since he got here what makes you think he is entertaining drafting a 300 pound OT?

Cordy Glenn, Chris Hairston, Erik Pears, Kraig Urbik, Colin Brown, Sam Young......did I miss any other 330-340 pound OL he has signed?

When Buddy Nix took over as GM he said he wanted to make the Bills a big, physical team.

If you look at the OL he has acquired since he got here what makes you think he is entertaining drafting a 300 pound OT?

Cordy Glenn, Chris Hairston, Erik Pears, Kraig Urbik, Colin Brown, Sam Young......did I miss any other 330-340 pound OL he has signed?

He's gone but Chas Rheingold was huge too, listed at 6'5" and 321 pounds.

He's gone but Chas Rheingold was huge too, listed at 6'5" and 321 pounds.

All signs seem to indicate that Buddy is still the ultimate authority on player personnel for this team.

When the Bills declined to tender David Nelson, there was a big cluster of support from a bunch of knuckleheads because they were just certain it was Marrone's decision and that Marrone was going to be dictating personnel.

They really didn't want to entertain that idea that the architect of the last three garbage seasons was still drafting up the plans for the future.

Even though Marrone said that he was not going to be making decisions on personnel.

Buddy hasn't done the job well enough, but he has been consistent with most of the things he has said he was going to do. If you have been following Buddy's work, it's no surprise he didn't re-sign Levitre. It won't be a surprise if...when...he let's Wood walk.

It would be a surprise if he drafted a pumped up TE to play OT.

All signs seem to indicate that Buddy is still the ultimate authority on player personnel for this team.

When the Bills declined to tender David Nelson, there was a big cluster of support from a bunch of knuckleheads because they were just certain it was Marrone's decision and that Marrone was going to be dictating personnel.

They really didn't want to entertain that idea that the architect of the last three garbage seasons was still drafting up the plans for the future.

Even though Marrone said that he was not going to be making decisions on personnel.

Buddy hasn't done the job well enough, but he has been consistent with most of the things he has said he was going to do. If you have been following Buddy's work, it's no surprise he didn't re-sign Levitre. It won't be a surprise if...when...he let's Wood walk.

It would be a surprise if he drafted a pumped up TE to play OT.

It worked pretty good with Jason Peters. ;)

I just wonder what you meant with the David Nelson reference. I have no idea what Buddy Nix was thinking or doing, either way. Plus I also think that he makes personnel decisions in concert with Overdorf/Littman as to how much each player may be worth, and sometimes he loses out. I don't think Nelson is great but i think he should have been tendered. He's good at one certain thing, at a position we have alarmingly little talent.

article/blog post from atlanta paper before FA listed potential cap cuts. Clabo was considered very unlikely, at least by one writer:

Tyson Clabo

2013 Cap Hit – $6.05 million

Still Owed – $4.65 million

Potential Savings – $1.4 million

This one’s pretty much a non-starter from the beginning. While Clabo may not have been the best tackle in the NFL, letting him go just makes no financial sense. He was guaranteed $11.5 million and has only been paid $6.85 million of that so far. Just letting him go would create almost $5 million in dead money, while only saving barely over a million. If this a year from now it may be a different story, but now it makes no sense.

This was obviously written before the new NFL year.

The dead cap hit is still 4.65m......but is now spread over the 2013 & 2014 seasons(similar to us with Fitz's cutting).

This means that the Falcons have a 3.1m dead cap hit next season(2014)......but more importantly for them, they free up 4.5m in cap space this season(2013).

Considering how they only had about 1.7m above the cap.....and still had to sign their rookies.....they needed to do something drastic to clear up some cap money.

It worked pretty good with Jason Peters. ;)

I just wonder what you meant with the David Nelson reference. I have no idea what Buddy Nix was thinking or doing, either way. Plus I also think that he makes personnel decisions in concert with Overdorf/Littman as to how much each player may be worth, and sometimes he loses out. I don't think Nelson is great but i think he should have been tendered. He's good at one certain thing, at a position we have alarmingly little talent.

Peters was a lineman converted to TE at Arkansas.....the opposite. I know you know that, but some may not.

The Nelson reference is about people THINKING they know what the Bills are doing based on their own personal feelings about what they should do.........instead of just observing what the teams says and does and using that as the basis.

At the end of the season people were so full of disdain for Buddy that when Nelson got cast aside, they didn't want to attibute the decision to Buddy. They were certain that Marrone was making all the decisions now. Even though the team said Buddy was in charge and Marrone said that he was NOT making personnel decisions.

You want to know why he didn't tender Nelson? Well, look at what he has said. He says he wants to see Stevie Johnson in the slot. That is Nelson's position. Additionally, Buddy has indicated a desire to add a pass catching TE. Presumably, that TE would occupy the slot on the other side in 4 wide sets. You add it up and the way Buddy has SAID he would like it leaves no place for a WR who can't play on the perimeter. I disagree...Nelson is a good, homegrown player and he would find a place on the field IMO...and I think it's a mistake to let Nelson go but if you simply go by what Buddy has actually SAID, it is not a mystery why they didn't tender him.

Factor in the uncertainty surround Nelson's knee and the fact that wherever he ends up, he'll likely sign for less than what the tender would have been.

Yes he's a good football player but the non-retention of Nelson makes sense on many levels.

I'm not a fan of Nix. I consider him to be a below par GM. However, this offseason all the personnel moves he has so far made with respect to cuts and addition (Lawson) are reasonable transactions. Even the Levitre departure made sense to me. I hated to see him go but I thought Nix made the right call in not signing him for what he got on the market.

Peters was a lineman converted to TE at Arkansas.....the opposite. I know you know that, but some may not.

The Nelson reference is about people THINKING they know what the Bills are doing based on their own personal feelings about what they should do.........instead of just observing what the teams says and does and using that as the basis.

At the end of the season people were so full of disdain for Buddy that when Nelson got cast aside, they didn't want to attibute the decision to Buddy. They were certain that Marrone was making all the decisions now. Even though the team said Buddy was in charge and Marrone said that he was NOT making personnel decisions.

You want to know why he didn't tender Nelson? Well, look at what he has said. He says he wants to see Stevie Johnson in the slot. That is Nelson's position. Additionally, Buddy has indicated a desire to add a pass catching TE. Presumably, that TE would occupy the slot on the other side in 4 wide sets. You add it up and the way Buddy has SAID he would like it leaves no place for a WR who can't play on the perimeter. I disagree...Nelson is a good, homegrown player and he would find a place on the field IMO...and I think it's a mistake to let Nelson go but if you simply go by what Buddy has actually SAID, it is not a mystery why they didn't tender him.

So it's your contention that Buddy Nix is demanding that Marrone use Stevie Johnson in the slot? Is Buddy also telling Marrone what other personnel to use and where? Did Buddy tell Marrone and Pettine they have to do without Wilson, Barnett, and Kelsey, too?

GO BILLS!!!

So it's your contention that Buddy Nix is demanding that Marrone use Stevie Johnson in the slot? Is Buddy also telling Marrone what other personnel to use and where? Did Buddy tell Marrone and Pettine they have to do without Wilson, Barnett, and Kelsey, too?

GO BILLS!!!

I would hazard the guess that Doug tells him what kind of players he needs to run his offense then hands off to Buddy and Co. to get those players whether it means subtracting now to add later.

If we look at just this season the team looks as if they have a plan.

Buddy is the spokesman in regard to personnel decisions and will own up to that.

I bet Nix strongly suggested that Wilson and Barnett and Kelsay and levitre and Nelson and Jones were not worth keeping and he could do much better.

If it was cut and dry though , we could be do the job !

Team X is a superbowl contender that means Bills fans say sign him immediately. Again I ask, why would we want a player that a team that is a superbowl contender and needs all the talent they can to get to and win a superbowl dump this guy?

It just boggles my mind. If he were worth a damn then X team wouldn't be cutting him.

I think this line of argument has a few holes. With the salary cap, winning teams have to pick and choose who they retain. Being "odd man out" on a really good team impacts some undeniable quality players. Depth also factors into it. If a team has a younger, cheaper guy they feel can do the job within an increment of the vet, Mr Expensive is gonna meet the Turk even if he's still arguably the better player. See Barnett, Green Bay (who still "had it" when they cut him)

Glenn is staying at LT. I don't think there is even any question about it.

Maybe. If they got someone they really liked at LT and he was ready to start, they might try Glenn at RT. But I doubt they kick him inside.

And I think the highest probability is he stays at LT and they maybe try Hairston at RT

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/22020971/any-number-of-teams-would-be-wise-to-pick-up-free-agent-clabo

I would not be opposed to going after him. Both RTs ended up on IR last year, so there's some questions there. Buddy obviously liked him in 2011, and may still have an interest in a guy who's started every game over the last five seasons.

Doubt it will happen, though, since he seems to be drawing interest from the 'Boys and Jags...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/05/cowboys-jags-reach-out-to-tyson-clabo/

To me the real question is can Clabo play guard? Because that would bring extra value to this team as our LG position is still unsettled......

It would give us options on what players we field for our starting unit.

This depth chart is certainly an issue:

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart.html

Jonathan Cooper (a Levitre clone/upgrade) would have to be considered a possibility, IMO. Problem is, #8 seems too high for a guard, even if he'd be a day-one stater.

Haven't heard Brandon Moore's name mentioned in a few weeks. Wonder what's up with that...

This depth chart is certainly an issue:

http://www.buffalobi...epth-chart.html

Jonathan Cooper (a Levitre clone/upgrade) would have to be considered a possibility, IMO. Problem is, #8 seems too high for a guard, even if he'd be a day-one stater.

Haven't heard Brandon Moore's name mentioned in a few weeks. Wonder what's up with that...

The scuttlebutt is that he is asking for starter money, 3-4 mil per year, and teams aren't willing to pay it for a 33 year old in this weird FA year. Sometimes it's wise to spend a little too much and often it is not. To me, he would be worth 3-4 mil for two years for the Bills who need to control the ball and develop their young OL. He may want to play for a contender though.

The scuttlebutt is that he is asking for starter money, 3-4 mil per year, and teams aren't willing to pay it for a 33 year old in this weird FA year. Sometimes it's wise to spend a little too much and often it is not. To me, he would be worth 3-4 mil for two years for the Bills who need to control the ball and develop their young OL. He may want to play for a contender though.

I wonder also if he's trying to get more than one year.

He's at an age where it would be better for him to get two years and a commensurate signing bonus than a one-year deal.

It's possible that he wouldn't have accepted an Alan Branch type of contract (one year) from the Bills and he's holding out for more guaranteed money.

And like you touch on, a guy like Moore might have a clear idea of the kind of team he wants to end his career with. It's possible that Buffalo doesn't fit that profile.

• 4 weeks later...