Will any QB go in the first round?

Mods feel free to merge this, I couldn't really decide where this belonged.

With the top teams in the draft all needing QB help and the QB class this year less than stellar, nearly every team has made a move to improve their depth chart.

KC - Traded two 2nd round picks for Alex Smith

Jacksonville- Chad Henne still on roster

Oakland -Traded for Flynn

Eagles - Vick restructured

Browns -Weeden and Campbell

Cards- Palmer, Stanton

Bills - Kolb

Jets - Garrard signed.

This tells me a lot about the cast of characters in the draft at QB. Buddy Nix said it himself, this is a bad year to need a QB. With every team taking a measure to sign somebody, anybody with experience/ success before the draft, I think we will see a free fall of all the top QB prospects, possibly all the way into the second round (baring trades of course)

Thoughts?

Absolutely, a QB will go in the first round.

Given the reduced salary for rookies, the 4-year contract, the premium on the position, and the increased rate of injuries in the league, there's almost no chance that 32 draft picks go by without a QB coming off the board.

I could see any of those teams (except maybe Oakland or KC) taking Geno Smith in the first round, if they have a chance.

^

This.

Each of the QB-weak teams above us, and also the JESTS could use a developmental QB. That's not to mention Seattle and the 49ers who are waffah-theen at QB backup. I look for them to do a Patsie* type of thing - grab a prospect to develop/groom for trading later. Philly made out pretty well by trading Kolb. In retrospect, The Bills probably did too by not paying the ransom for him that AZ did.

IMHO, I think these teams don't think highly of this year's QB draft class compared to Luck and RGIII, but this group does have some positives. I believe these teams will draft one but they have put themselves in a position to have an insurance policy while grooming the rookie. I don't feel this group would be first year starters. Hence the the signing of Palmer, Flynn, Kolb, etc. I could be completely way off base here. Could be a lot of smoke screens going on too. Who knows what they're smoking?

I'm not familiar with the crop that's expected in 2014 and which team might be looking to the future, while riding the mediocre QB bandwagon this year. The draft is a crap shoot for the most part. Look at the busts from first round picks and the late round gems. The draft is like a box of chocolates! I think Forrest Gump was on to something here. Roll the dice Buddy!

Do we really even have Kolb? It's been 3-4 days since it was "sort of announced", and still no official announcement. I don't think I've ever seen another FA signing situation like this.

I'd say there's still a 50% Bills draft a QB in the first round, even with Kolb.

I stand by my original prediction of 5. I'm wary of it, but I think you will see a lot of trading up from teams in the top 10 of the second round moving up to the back half of the first round. Regardless, by the 12th pick in the 2nd round, I expect the following to be gone:

Geno

Barkley

Manuel

Nassib

Bray or Glennon

The Jags could have a fairly potent offense if they picked up a great QB. Justin Blackmon and Cecil Shorts at WR, Jones-Drew at RB (assuming he's healthy)...

Granted, their D is dreadful and they may give Gabbert another year, but I can see Geno going at 2.

I stand by my original prediction of 5. I'm wary of it, but I think you will see a lot of trading up from teams in the top 10 of the second round moving up to the back half of the first round. Regardless, by the 12th pick in the 2nd round, I expect the following to be gone:

Geno

Barkley

Manuel

Nassib

Bray or Glennon

I think it will be more like 4 as it wouldn't surprise me at all to see teams reaching for that proverbial "franchise" QB.

I see the Jets taking Geno Smith if he falls to them.

At least 3 will go in the 1st round. At least 1 will go in the top 5.

I also feel that a team will trade up to #1 or #2 and get a QB there.

I still peg 2-3, wouldn't be shocked at 4 but surprised

Kolb does nothing to preclude a qb pick

Palmer is old enough you can pull the trigger and let a kid sit 1-2 years if he's playing well (but have an option to not waste Fitzgerald if Palmer is shaky). The jets at 9.

And don't forget about trade ups to the first round to get "your guy" and an extra year on the contract

As someone else mentioned, you can't even rule out Seattle or SF at the bottom of the round as a rookie getting a 4 year deal for 5m total is cheaper than a guy like thigpen

I think one or two of those teams will take a QB if a guy they like is available, but my guess is they don't value them highly enough to make a big trade to move up in the draft. So signing a journeyman QB is an insurance policy to avoid feeling forced into taking someone just for the sake of taking someone. I would still expect at least 2 or 3 QBs taken in the first, and I would be surprised to see Smith/Barkley still there after the first 15.

This tells me a lot about the cast of characters in the draft at QB. Buddy Nix said it himself, this is a bad year to need a QB. With every team taking a measure to sign somebody, anybody with experience/ success before the draft, I think we will see a free fall of all the top QB prospects, possibly all the way into the second round (baring trades of course)

Thoughts?

Even in a weak class such as 2009, there are usually at least 2 QB drafted in the 1st

I do agree it is a little telling that a lot teams have made moves for QBs prior to the draft, and KC who could have any of the QBs made a trade for Smith. I could see 1 maybe 2 go in the first. I think many fans have too many QBs going in their mocks in the first round.

I still want to see what Jax does. If Caldwell passes then i would like to see the Bills wait.

I agree with the trade back into the first round by some of the teams picking early in the second.

Wait.... If jax passes we should too.... What if they take one?

I'd be surprised if 2 QB's didn't go in the first round, and I'm in agreement with another poster who suggested 5 would be gone by the middle of round 2, although I think 6 will be gone by the end of round 2 (Smith, Barkley, Manuel, Nassib, Glennon, and Wilson).

Although the teams at the top of the draft who've been linked to drafting QB's have all, except Jacksonville, procured veteran alternatives, I think most of those are fall back options. I think Jacksonville will take a QB if there is one they believe can be a true franchise QB. I think Philly will hold off until the second or third round. Arizona will wait, I think, till the second. I think Cleveland might be tempted, if the right guy is there. If Barkley is there I think Buffalo would go with him. Likewise, if whichever QB the Jets like the most is available, I think they take a shot, too.

(BTW - N.E. has just brought in Dion Jordan for a pre-draft look. My guess is they have a trade package lined up as a possibility with Cleveland - swapping Mallett and their 1st and 2nd rounder for Cleveland's 1st rounder - don't be surprised if that ends up happening!)

I think there'll be at least one team in that first 10 who trades back up into the 1st to grab a QB, as well. It hardly matters to say 1st round QB - between the 1st pick and the middle of round 2 I think the top 5 or 6 QB's will have been picked.

I'm really not sure where I see Buffalo going. I have a hunch they really like Barkley (that's because I really like Barkley, and see him as an excellent QB - so I have to assume the scouts in Buffalo feel the same), but after thinking about what Marrone said in regards to the selection of his offensive coaches - that one big factor in their hires was the common background they shared, so he wouldn't lose the summer getting the coaches up to speed on terminology - I wonder, if Marrone feels the need to start off fast, or to avoid having a down year, as a lot of coaches get a pass on their first year, then maybe he will likewise value Nassib, since it would be even more of a "same page" thing with him, and allow the whole offense to sort of jump out of the gates.

Anyway, I suspect Buffalo has a QB they really like, value-wise, for each round, and probably have added a half round of value to each one's grade, allowing them to match grades and simply take the best player of relative need as the draft unfolds.

Here is where I think Buffalo has their QB's rated:

I suspect they have Barkley rated as worthy of a top 10 pick.

Nassib and Geno Smith are probably top 25 pick worthy.

Manuel is top 40.

Wilson is probably mid to bottom 2nd round.

Glennon and Bray are probably 3rd round eligible.

Scott, Dysert are probably 4th rounders.

Edited by KeisterHollow

This reminds me of the year we drafted Hardy. None of the WR's had first round grades and they all went in a hurry in the 2nd. IIRC, only 2 of them panned out (Jackson, Nelson).

So I guess this means that if you have a common last name that you are going to succeed. Joke (bad one too).

I think there will be a couple good ones in the draft. Remember, Wilson and Kaepernik weren't blue chip prospects either. I just hope Nix picks the right one.