If You Could Make One Song Disappear Forever ...

Gugny

Anything Gordon Lightfoot should probably be banned since he changed his name to Usama Islama or something like that and moved to France and bad mouths America. Screw him.

He still had one good song: "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzpatrick"

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why anyone would put Gordon Lightfoot in this thread. I mean, I know he's Canadian, but he's a very good song writer.

Anything Gordon Lightfoot should probably be banned since he changed his name to Usama Islama or something like that and moved to France and bad mouths America. Screw him.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Cat Stevens?

Stairway to Heaven

Its a downer and I hate how everybody is expected to stop whatever else they were doing and go into worship mode whenever it comes on.

Is this going to turn into an unpopular music opinions thread? I'm in - Zeppelin sucked ass.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Cat Stevens?

He's a lot like Gordon Lightfoot but a different dude. He also had a lot of personal issues in the 70s like Lightfoot. Remember: in the 70s not a lot of people had personal problems like they do today. That's why people get Stevens and Lightfoot mixed up. Stevens issue was that his daughter Mary Stevens-Carpenter starved herself to death. He was widely seen as a bad father for letting this happen.

He's a lot like Gordon Lightfoot but a different dude. He also had a lot of personal issues in the 70s like Lightfoot. Remember: in the 70s not a lot of people had personal problems like they do today. That's why people get Stevens and Lightfoot mixed up. Stevens issue was that his daughter Mary Stevens-Carpenter starved herself to death. He was widely seen as a bad father for letting this happen.

You probably didn't know this, but in the 70's when no one else really had any personal problems (as you said), Lightfoot and Stevens actually did have some issues and, as I have been told, the two collaborated at a bar in Greenwich Village to write the first few verses of what later came to be known as "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (they actually wrote it on the back of the bar menu and titled it "We Have Problems Too"). So you are partly correct in saying Stevens had some problems but so did Lightfoot.

Okay, but here's an honest question: you can choose one song to be rid of forever. Do you choose this stupid Friday song...Or this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOOs-MqDOI0

LABillz, I don't normally agree with you on a lot of things....but I gather you have pretty good taste in music....maybe I missed something..but you really don't like this song? I think it is a great tune.

LABillz, I don't normally agree with you on a lot of things....but I gather you have pretty good taste in music....maybe I missed something..but you really don't like this song? I think it is a great tune.

Glad somebody else spoke out... I was too shamed! LOL...

When I was little... I always thought he was saying:

"Sundown you better take care, if I find you've been drinking my Labatt's beer."

Hey... What can I say... I knew he was from up there north of Toronto (Orillia)... :blush:

Something about him really brings back my young childhood the early 1970's... Home and that part of the eastern Great Lakes (now that I am on the western end of them, sorta)

Siruis 32, The Bridge usually plays a lot of him.

One I heard yesterday: Did She Mention My Name:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeAkoakbmVA

"Does the old roof leak when the lake snow turns to rain?..." "Is the home team still on fire do they still win all their games." I know he is probably singing about the Leafs in that '68 song... But I think of the Sabres... ;)

Sorry to turn this into songs I like (above) and to get all corny! Somehthing about his lyrics and cords remind me of home and simpler bygone era...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Coldplay's Viva la Vida.

Not because it sucks - it does - as much as because they got a Grammy for a song they unapologetically stole from another artist.

This song makes me want to skip the whole weekend and embrace Monday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

I'm still finding this mind-bogglingly horrible. It's amazing to think that somebody out there not only has a "Producer" credit for this song, but probably brags about it. I hope that somebody drowns in raw sewage - an experience unironically similar to listening to that damn song.

Coldplay's Viva la Vida.

Not because it sucks - it does - as much as because they got a Grammy for a song they unapologetically stole from another artist.

I'm still finding this mind-bogglingly horrible. It's amazing to think that somebody out there not only has a "Producer" credit for this song, but probably brags about it. I hope that somebody drowns in raw sewage - an experience unironically similar to listening to that damn song.

Yeah... But they settled w/Joe Satriani

She made a sequel just for haters like you.

She's gonna keep on dreamin', Tom...

LoL... I think we have a secret admirer (Tom) of that song! Thou protests too much! LoL

Now I'm starting to wonder how many times he's actually seen March of the Penguins.

No, Tom is right. I put it here to bust his chops. He once spent what seemed like an entire day where all his posts were written so they could be read to this song.

While I like to think I've learned a lot about music, the unfortunate truth is it happened very late. Growing up my family owned a small diner that had a large game room in the back...pool table, pinball machines and yes, a jukebox that only played top 40 stuff. So it was a youth filled with Rhinestone Cowboy, The Streak, Junk Food Junkie, Last Dance and Don't Rock the Boat in the game room, and Sinatra, Garland and Bennett in the restaurant. I spent my freshman year of college confused as to why everyone was so upset one of the Beatles was shot while simultaneously not really caring that Harry Chapin died on the LIE shortly after releasing "Sequel."

My college friends quickly began re-programming me before my sophomore year, but it was something of an exorcism.