If You Could Make One Song Disappear Forever ...

Gugny

No, Tom is right. I put it here to bust his chops. He once spent what seemed like an entire day where all his posts were written so they could be read to this song.

While I like to think I've learned a lot about music, the unfortunate truth is it happened very late. Growing up my family owned a small diner that had a large game room in the back...pool table, pinball machines and yes, a jukebox that only played top 40 stuff. So it was a youth filled with Rhinestone Cowboy, The Streak, Junk Food Junkie, Last Dance and Don't Rock the Boat in the game room, and Sinatra, Garland and Bennett in the restaurant. I spent my freshman year of college confused as to why everyone was so upset one of the Beatles was shot while simultaneously not really caring that Harry Chapin died on the LIE shortly after releasing "Sequel."

My college friends quickly began re-programming me before my sophomore year, but it was something of an exorcism.

Okay that makes sense. That Lightfoot song has a really cool, swampy vibe...and the guy just had a unique voice. One of those oldies I will always turn up!

As for your musical upbringing, prior to college, mine wasn't all that different. I listened to bubble-gum and top 40 radio pop as a kid, and my parents only got as edgy as Nat King Cole. I always had, and still have, appreciation for both..."Rhinestone Cowboy" brings me back..

I was lucky enough (I suppose) to have 5 older siblings who exposed me to other stuff...I still remember hearing Velvet Underground do "Heroin" when I was in sixth grade...I didn't know wtf Lou Reed was singing about (being a nerdy Trekkie, I thought "Heroin" was referring to a girl), but I knew he was singing like he really meant it. I still remember sitting on my bedroom floor, sorting through baseball cards, and my sister put it on...the hair on my head stood on edge, and I remember just stopping what I was doing, staring into the eyes of Tony Perez, and thinking I just heard something that would change me. and my level of love for music, forever.

Edited by Buftex

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised this song hasn't been blamed in school shootings. God, it's horrible. Even on mute, it's horrible.

I have never even heard a J. Beiber "song" can he be that bad? WTF happened to music?

I still remember hearing Velvet Underground do "Heroin" when I was in sixth grade...I didn't know wtf Lou Reed was singing about (being a nerdy Trekkie, I thought "Heroin" was referring to a girl), but I knew he was singing like he really meant it. I still remember sitting on my bedroom floor, sorting through baseball cards, and my sister put it on...the hair on my head stood on edge, and I remember just stopping what I was doing, staring into the eyes of Tony Perez, and thinking I just heard something that would change me. and my level of love for music, forever.

Boz Scaggs "someone loan me a dime" has the same effect. I remember Lou Reed doing heroin during a gig at UB when I was teenager. It was pretty intense.

I'm surprised this song hasn't been blamed in school shootings. God, it's horrible. Even on mute, it's horrible.

A friend of mine said that he would get rid of "Baby" by Justin Bieber. His theory being that Bieber's next song bombed; therefore Bieber would have no career, and Rebecca Black would have never made "Friday" because Miss Black stated that Justin Bieber was her inspiration to make that song.

I was lucky enough (I suppose) to have 5 older siblings who exposed me to other stuff...I still remember hearing Velvet Underground do "Heroin" when I was in sixth grade.

I had four older siblings, two of them brothers, and to this day one of my all-time favorite, must-have albums because of them is "Best of the Guess Who." I'll still sit in my car until No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature is over, regardless of where I'm headed.

It all came crashing down when my oldest brother started dating a girl who was into John Denver.

I had four older siblings, two of them brothers, and to this day one of my all-time favorite, must-have albums because of them is "Best of the Guess Who." I'll still sit in my car until No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature is over, regardless of where I'm headed.

It all came crashing down when my oldest brother started dating a girl who was into John Denver.

I place the Guess Who in the same category that I place the Little River Band - underrated, under-recognized, phenomenal bands.

And my bro has me by 6 years. He introduced me to the Beatles and Zeppelin. Still two of my all time favorite bands.

Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty

But for songs that are often played it's Old Time Rock and Roll, because Tom Cruise ruined it.

Personally I think Pete Seeger ruined it because it SUCKED!!!!!! from the git-go. Tom Cruise just proved it.

Anyway, I still want to ban Glory Days and Born in the USA but can also add two more steaming piles to the list:

Cocaine by Eric Crapton and

While my Guitar Gently Weeps by either George Harrison or the Beatles I forget.

Personally I think Pete Seeger ruined it because it SUCKED!!!!!! from the git-go. Tom Cruise just proved it.

Anyway, I still want to ban Glory Days and Born in the USA but can also add two more steaming piles to the list:

Cocaine by Eric Crapton and

While my Guitar Gently Weeps by either George Harrison or the Beatles I forget.

Add that Proud to be an American.

Nope.

Really?? Prinice is probably the top 10 guitarists of all time.

Okay that makes sense. That Lightfoot song has a really cool, swampy vibe...and the guy just had a unique voice. One of those oldies I will always turn up!

As for your musical upbringing, prior to college, mine wasn't all that different. I listened to bubble-gum and top 40 radio pop as a kid, and my parents only got as edgy as Nat King Cole. I always had, and still have, appreciation for both..."Rhinestone Cowboy" brings me back..

I was lucky enough (I suppose) to have 5 older siblings who exposed me to other stuff...I still remember hearing Velvet Underground do "Heroin" when I was in sixth grade...I didn't know wtf Lou Reed was singing about (being a nerdy Trekkie, I thought "Heroin" was referring to a girl), but I knew he was singing like he really meant it. I still remember sitting on my bedroom floor, sorting through baseball cards, and my sister put it on...the hair on my head stood on edge, and I remember just stopping what I was doing, staring into the eyes of Tony Perez, and thinking I just heard something that would change me. and my level of love for music, forever.

I had older siblings but they were sisters so i got the crappy bubble gum music. However I played in a band at 14 and was introduced to the Allman Brothers and it was on!!

Oh and I don't know if it's because I'm a drummer but I don't think there is one song I'd like to see disappear forever. Well maybe Happy Birthday to You!! Stick that **** up your ass!!

Edited by Chef Jim

I do not know Prinice?

I do not like his method of singing, his artistry encorporated in to song. Musically he may be great, but collaborated together in whatever the hell you call that stuff he makes, to quote my grandpa, it's just racket.

Hardly.

Very good (maybe great) musician. Very good guitarist (among other instruments). Not even close to top 10.

Although he's at the very least better than crap like...wait for it...

I do not know Prinice?

I do not like his method of singing, his artistry encorporated in to song. Musically he may be great, but collaborated together in whatever the hell you call that stuff he makes, to quote my grandpa, it's just racket.

That is one !@#$ed up sentence. Is his music great or is it racket??

Hardly.

Very good (maybe great) musician. Very good guitarist (among other instruments). Not even close to top 10.

You may know a lot about a lot of things but music ain't one of them.

Yeah, it kind of is. And by any metric you care to measure, Prince is NOT "top 10".

Which is not even remotely a criticism of Prince. This...

Is great, both technically and compositionally. And I'll never argue that his sense of composition and musicianship isn't top shelf, and that he plays a variety of instruments at a very high level of competence.

But you're basically saying he's indisputably better than the likes of Brad May, Django Reinhardt, Duane Allman, Buddy Guy, Slash, Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Frank Zappa, David Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, Ry Cooder, etc. That's patently ridiculous. You'd have to be completely ignorant of a LOT of excellent guitarists to argue that Prince is top 10.

That is one !@#$ed up sentence. Is his music great or is it racket??

Prince brought a lot to the table other than guitar playing (singing, composition, entertainer/front man, etc), but when he decided to rip a solo on guitar he was one of the best.

Yeah, it kind of is. And by any metric you care to measure, Prince is NOT "top 10".

Which is not even remotely a criticism of Prince. This...

Is great, both technically and compositionally. And I'll never argue that his sense of composition and musicianship isn't top shelf, and that he plays a variety of instruments at a very high level of competence.

But you're basically saying he's indisputably better than the likes of Brad May, Django Reinhardt, Duane Allman, Buddy Guy, Slash, Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Frank Zappa, David Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, Ry Cooder, etc. That's patently ridiculous. You'd have to be completely ignorant of a LOT of excellent guitarists to argue that Prince is top 10.

Yes I would put him ahead of Slash, Santana, Ry Cooder, and Steve Via. Yeah Steve Vai. Fast and loud does not great make.

Yes I would put him ahead of Slash, Santana, Ry Cooder, and Steve Via. Yeah Steve Vai. Fast and loud does not great make.

Prince wouldn't even put himself in front of Santana.

And I put Steve Vai on that list because he's far more than "fast and loud" (note I didn't put Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, or Eric Johnson on the list). He's a phenomenal composer and musician - if you think all he is, is "shred", you've never heard his compositions for the Metropole Orchestra.

Prince brought a lot to the table other than guitar playing (singing, composition, entertainer/front man, etc), but when he decided to rip a solo on guitar he was one of the best.

Here's a much higher-quality version of that video (HD has spoiled my eyes). Love the move where he leans into the crowd and is held up by a roadie while soloing.

Is Dani Harrison a near-clone of George, or what?

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Prince wouldn't even put himself in front of Santana.

And I put Steve Vai on that list because he's far more than "fast and loud" (note I didn't put Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, or Eric Johnson on the list). He's a phenomenal composer and musician - if you think all he is, is "shred", you've never heard his compositions for the Metropole Orchestra.

Please explain to me what composing for an orchestra has to do with playing guitar? Oh that's right nothing. That would be like me saying the Bach was not one of the top organist of his time and you saying oh yes he is have you listented to his composition of Brandenberg Concerto??

And seeing music is so subjective let me clarify my top 10 remark. He's one of the top 10 that I personally like to listen to. My 10 include those you have not mentioned like Al Di Meola, Jake Cinninger, Stanely Clark (the bass is a guitar), Jerry Garcia (a great guitar player? No, but someone whose sound is so unique), Derek Truck, Warren Haynes. So to argue about who is the best is silly.

Edited by Chef Jim

Robert Quine is my favorite underrated guitar player. Just always came up with cool inventive phrases & sounds. Played with Richard Hell on both of his records and Lou Reed (Blue Mask and Legendary Hearts), Tom Waits (Rain Dogs) and other miscellaneous stuff. His masterpiece, in my opinion, is the Blank Generation album with Richard Hell & the Voidoids. 100% crazy, original, amazing stuff.

Edited by gringo starr

Please explain to me what composing for an orchestra has to do with playing guitar? Oh that's right nothing.

Aside from refuting your idiotic statement that he's just "fast and loud..." guitar was part of the orchestral pieces. And Prince's real strength as a guitarist is his compositional ability...so if you're going to compare guitarists on something other than simply technique, it's a completely appropriate comparison.

But now that you're backing and filling away from "top 10 guitarist " to "well...maybe not" to "I meant one of my personal top 10," the argument's over. I'm not going to argue personal preference with you (guess what? Ry Cooder's not one of my favorites either. I'd prefer Prince's music over Cooder's. Cooder's still a better guitarist.) But if you were merely stating your personal preference, maybe you shouldn't have stated it as an absolute truth, you dumb !@#$nugget.

Aside from refuting your idiotic statement that he's just "fast and loud..." guitar was part of the orchestral pieces. And Prince's real strength as a guitarist is his compositional ability...so if you're going to compare guitarists on something other than simply technique, it's a completely appropriate comparison.

But now that you're backing and filling away from "top 10 guitarist " to "well...maybe not" to "I meant one of my personal top 10," the argument's over. I'm not going to argue personal preference with you (guess what? Ry Cooder's not one of my favorites either. I'd prefer Prince's music over Cooder's. Cooder's still a better guitarist.) But if you were merely stating your personal preference, maybe you shouldn't have stated it as an absolute truth, you dumb !@#$nugget.

A top 10, 50, 100 list of any musician is alway going to be based on personal preference you twit. How do you grade it? Most notes per minute? Most number of albums sold? Most sold out performances? Ability to compose and what does that mean? Wow, Steve Vai can compose. Is that why you included Zappa? I mean if you can't keep score how do you compare them? By height?

Funny, Ry Cooder is one of my favorites and I prefer his music to Prince's but he's not as good a guitar player you stupid ass-munch !@#$stick.

A friend of mine said that he would get rid of "Baby" by Justin Bieber. His theory being that Bieber's next song bombed; therefore Bieber would have no career, and Rebecca Black would have never made "Friday" because Miss Black stated that Justin Bieber was her inspiration to make that song.

Jesus, if that isn't the biggest reason to get off our asses and create a time machine, I don't know what the hell is.

Heh, heh, heh...just because you have a small penis there's no need to get violent.

If that made people violent, I'd be like Ray Lewis the night before the Super Bowl.

Very much a Hendrix desciple, who went more R&B than blues like Jimi did.