Fitz' money explained since he was released

A 20 million dollar mistake. Good thing mr Wilson isn't on charge any longer. Yikes

That's what they want you to think. The truth is Brandon has been running things for years IMO. Their big press conference announcing him now running things was just a marketing ploy. He's been in charge for years and running this team into the ground. I think the Fitz contract was his doing and what a mistake that was

That's what they want you to think. The truth is Brandon has been running things for years IMO. Their big press conference announcing him now running things was just a marketing ploy. He's been in charge for years and running this team into the ground. I think the Fitz contract was his doing and what a mistake that was

A link for you

http://ananael.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-truth-about-tinfoil-hats.html

What goes unsaid in the release of Fitz, is that the trade with Seattle for our current "starter" Tavaris Jackson, cost us our 6th round pick this year. They weren't getting the pick back, but they could recoup some cash and spread the cap hit over two years by designating Fitz a June 1 cut. So, come June 1st we'll have another $4.25 to spend on FAs. That nearly enough cash to sign the entire squad of our 2013 rookies. Bottom line - just like his play - it wasn't very pretty, but it was the only logical move they could make based on the corner they'd painted themselves into.

On another note, in a lot of articles I've seen, Fitz is rated the #1 QB FA at this point in time. Not saying he's a #1 QB, but he's valued more highly as a #2 than anybody else available out there right now. I think you could add The Bills to that group of evaluators as well.

Go Bills!

It was the best option they had available to them to still pick up more players. As far as Brandon, I agree although Wilson botched a lot of decisions this last decade. I think a lot is going to happen in the coming months which is why I'm not freaking out. There will be plenty of time to throw pretzels at the TV come September, where I'll hopelessly want them to win, and by October be ready for the draft again.

Thanks for that analysis!

What goes unsaid in the release of Fitz, is that the trade with Seattle for our current "starter" Tavaris Jackson, cost us our 6th round pick this year. They weren't getting the pick back, but they could recoup some cash and spread the cap hit over two years by designating Fitz a June 1 cut. So, come June 1st we'll have another $4.25 to spend on FAs. That nearly enough cash to sign the entire squad of our 2013 rookies. Bottom line - just like his play - it wasn't very pretty, but it was the only logical move they could make based on the corner they'd painted themselves into.

On another note, in a lot of articles I've seen, Fitz is rated the #1 QB FA at this point in time. Not saying he's a #1 QB, but he's valued more highly as a #2 than anybody else available out there right now. I think you could add The Bills to that group of evaluators as well.

Go Bills!

He may have gotten a bit enthusiastic in his idea, but I don't think it's crazy to say Russ has been the on site number 1 guy in buffalo for day today, and that Ralph likely relied on his input heavily for how to handle decisions that escalated to him.

If he would've just left it as "I doubt the press conference really changed that much" he likely wouldn't have been tooooo far from the truth

Go Bills!

I think that because Jackson never dressed last year the Bills only give up a seventh.

Go Bills!

The sad part if the Bills would have agreed keep the roster bonus of 3 million he probably would have taken a large pay cut and agreed to be the backup.

Edited by BRAWNDO

The sad part if the Bills would have agreed keep the roster bonus of 3 million he probably would have taken a large pay cut and agreed to be the backup.

It was quoted somewhere recently that he was NOT willing to restucture. Sorry no link , but that sticks in my mind strongly.

The FO was trying to do something to save some cash before the 3 million dollar day.

That statement soon after his release changed my view about this mess.

Bills have admitted mistake and shown that with these actions , for what i consider the best interest of the team.

It was going to be painful regardless of how it fell out.

Edited by 3rdand12

It was quoted somewhere recently that he was NOT willing to restucture. Sorry no link , but that sticks in my mind strongly.

The FO was trying to do something to save some cash before the 3 million dollar day.

That statement soon after his release changed my view about this mess.

Bills have admitted mistake and shown that with these actions , for what i consider the best interest of the team.

It was going to be painful regardless of how it fell out.

The roster bonus was the key, he did not want to be cut during or after training camp and not have a team to play for in 2013. He realized that the Bills could not guarantee a roster spot and he would be better off signing somewhere else to be on a team next season.

I think that because Jackson never dressed last year the Bills only give up a seventh.

You are correct sir, and that also played into TJ riding the pine for the entire season.

Others have responded already, and I don't doubt he would have restructured a bit. But me thinks the $3million was entirely - or thereabouts what they wanted to pay him.

Go Bills!

Good points all.

When all the angst about not performing to expectations is stripped off, paying Fitz $21 million plus his 2010 salary means Fitz was our starter for ~3 years at ~$7-8 million a year. Does anyone have a link to the complete list of NFL QB salaries during that timeframe? That's certainly not "top 10" QB money. I expect he was being paid in the mid-tier range overall, which is exactly what he is as a QB and exactly where our offense performed. The Bills gave up nothing to get him - he was signed as a FA

Compare and contrast with AZ, which gave up DRC and a high 2nd round pick for the chance to sign Kevin Kolb to a 6 year, $65 million dollar contract of which if I'm right, they paid him $20 million and received less than a full season of games (15 games over 2 years) for a level of play (when he was able to play) on an approximate par.

Relative to other deals (Cutler for Orton?), the Bills didn't get horridly fleeced, and in moving on, they made the best decision they could make about when to cut him to minimize the cap hit impact. They took a gamble they were getting a bargain if Fitz played up to his 2011 early-season level, and they lost on that gamble, leaving them paying approximately mid-tier QB market price for a durable mid-tier QB.

Edited by Hopeful

Jerry Sullivan said give him more.

I do not understand what the benefit was for TJax still. Yes, put him on the pine to move a 6th to a 7th but what did Gailey and staff think of it? You know at some point it was **** hit the fan mode and it had to have been Nix denying them a chance to put TJax in - at which point Gailey probably gave up.

He's been quoted as saying he was willing to restructure but not according to the deal the Bills offered, and that the Bills weren't willing to negotiate so they were never close.

The Buffalo Evening News reported "The Bills offered Fitzpatrick a new, four-year deal that averaged $3 million a year, with an opportunity to make $4 million a year more each year in incentives, according to a source close to the talks. It was not clear what Fitzpatrick would have had to do to reach those incentives." In his radio interview with Murphy, Fitz refused to discuss numbers but implied the numbers in the media weren't accurate (or the like). "Averaging $3 million a year for 4 years" could mean $1 million this year, $2 million next year, $3.5 million in the 3rd year, $5.5 million in the 4th year with no guaranteed money. Fitz could be looking at what Garrard got as a guy who hasn't taken a snap in 2 years and had similar stats in 2010, and what Moore got as a potential backup in MIA and saying "I think my market value is higher even as a backup"

Edited by Hopeful

I do not understand what the benefit was for TJax still. Yes, put him on the pine to move a 6th to a 7th but what did Gailey and staff think of it? You know at some point it was **** hit the fan mode and it had to have been Nix denying them a chance to put TJax in - at which point Gailey probably gave up.

Disagree. Why would Nix get his panty's in a bunch over a 6th. It's not like he's ever hit on that pick. With the Bills any player making the roster past pick 4 is a bonus. Even then most are what we qualify as "good"depth players. Other teams get full blown starters.I blame Nix for that.

Of course they do seem adept at hitting on a occasional UDFA.

Disagree. Why would Nix get his panty's in a bunch over a 6th. It's not like he's ever hit on that pick. With the Bills any player making the roster past pick 4 is a bonus. Even then most are what we qualify as "good"depth players. Other teams get full blown starters.I blame Nix for that.

I am not sure they did this, but just throwing it out there.

Others have responded already, and I don't doubt he would have restructured a bit. But me thinks the $3million was entirely - or thereabouts what they wanted to pay him.

i'm guessing they wanted to pay Fitz on the same order what they're paying TJax, which is $1.25 million in base salary with an additional $0.5 mil signing bonus and ~$0.5 mil if he's on the roster for the first game, plus playing time incentives. But I could of course be wrong.

I am not sure they did this, but just throwing it out there.

And of course I could be wrong here too, but TJax as far as I know had been a WC QB his entire career. I think Nix and Co grossly underestimated the time it would take him to get up to speed in the very different E-P play terminology and that Chan felt up to the end, Fitz gave them the better chance to win.

Which he may well have done.

Now the shoe is on the other foot - Fitz is several years removed from calling plays with WC route terminology and play design, while TJax is "coming home"

I think that Chan's nature is that he's a loyal guy. He was committed to Fitz (like he was previously with Trent), but unlike that debacle he was in the last year of his (Chan's) contract. He had to win. Fitz knew the system and he was his guy. TJ was brought in because Pistol Pete Thigpen looked like reporter Chris Brown behind center, and Vince-the-Bomb-Young crapped his IQ test. I seriously don't put it past Nix and the brass to have put a kibosh on suiting TJ up for the six game clause that triggered the hop up to the 6th to Seattle. The season was already lost, and Chan was a lame duck at that point. Circling the drain was inevitable.

I expect to see TJ a lot this year. Too much perhaps - both on my stated expectation and his actual playing time.

I have said and continue to say that the plan all along was to cut or restructure Fitz. They needed a vet in case Fitz wouldn't take the restructure. Enter exhibit A: the 1 year TJax contract. Now they will take the Qb they like best with the #8 pick and one in late rounds or udfa. If one of those two draftees don't take over the helm as starter than they draft another QB next year in the first. Ship on course again. Badda Bing, Badda Bang!

Twenty-Million!!!! I'm not sure what's worse, that he made 20 million performing as a backup quarterback who would make about 4 million over that span, or that the idiot PSY made about 8 million last year. But good for Fitzy, cash in when you can. Nix really has no idea what a franchise QB looks like. Let's hope someone else is advising on QB's this draft.

Twenty-Million!!!! I'm not sure what's worse, that he made 20 million performing as a backup quarterback who would make about 4 million over that span, or that the idiot PSY made about 8 million last year. But good for Fitzy, cash in when you can. Nix really has no idea what a franchise QB looks like. Let's hope someone else is advising on QB's this draft.

Ryan, I have a Pat Kirwan article JUST FOR YOU! Keep in mind the Texans were on a roll 2 years ago and might have gone somewhere if they hadn't been down to their 3rd string QB

4. Ryan Fitzpatrick: He may not have succeeded as the Bills' starting QB, but remains an outstanding backup candidate. How many teams fall apart when the starting QB goes down with an injury?

Go look at the two games in 2012 Fitzpatrick had against the Patriots. He threw for 687 yards and six touchdowns. He threw four TD passes in two games against the Jets. QBs with his experience are worth $4 million a year for a playoff team. Green Bay, Cincinnati and Atlanta would all rest easier if Fitzpatrick were on the roster.

So. Pat Kirwan seems to feel as a backup, Fitz is worth about $4 million a year. That would be $16 million over the 4 years he was here, and considering the amount he actually played, $20 million doesn't seem all that unreasonable. It'll be interesting to see where he lands and what he earns there.

Your notion of what a quality backup is worth seem a little under the market

So. Pat Kirwan seems to feel as a backup, Fitz is worth about $4 million a year. That would be $16 million over the 4 years he was here, and considering the amount he actually played, $20 million doesn't seem all that unreasonable.......

That $20 million was since he signed his new contract in 2011. He earned over $10/year in that period.

I don't care about the cap implications. I don't have to see fritz behind center, down 6 in the 4th with 2 minutes left at our 20 yard line. That's all I care about. Good luck to ya fritz. You're a good guy and a solid backup.

That $20 million was since he signed his new contract in 2011. He earned over $10/year in that period.

Understood ... I was looking at it more as the quotient of sums (sum of the total $$ he got from the Bills/sum of the time he was here), a view in which anyone is free to poke holes.

I don't care about the cap implications. I don't have to see fritz behind center, down 6 in the 4th with 2 minutes left at our 20 yard line. That's all I care about. Good luck to ya fritz. You're a good guy and a solid backup.

Why you poor baby! Try watching some Rams games or maybe Detroit instead, hey? And let us all know your thoughts on TJax after next season.

Good points all.

When all the angst about not performing to expectations is stripped off, paying Fitz $21 million plus his 2010 salary means Fitz was our starter for ~3 years at ~$7-8 million a year. Does anyone have a link to the complete list of NFL QB salaries during that timeframe? That's certainly not "top 10" QB money. I expect he was being paid in the mid-tier range overall, which is exactly what he is as a QB and exactly where our offense performed. The Bills gave up nothing to get him - he was signed as a FA

Compare and contrast with AZ, which gave up DRC and a high 2nd round pick for the chance to sign Kevin Kolb to a 6 year, $65 million dollar contract of which if I'm right, they paid him $20 million and received less than a full season of games (15 games over 2 years) for a level of play (when he was able to play) on an approximate par.

Relative to other deals (Cutler for Orton?), the Bills didn't get horridly fleeced, and in moving on, they made the best decision they could make about when to cut him to minimize the cap hit impact. They took a gamble they were getting a bargain if Fitz played up to his 2011 early-season level, and they lost on that gamble, leaving them paying approximately mid-tier QB market price for a durable mid-tier QB.

As you elude to the Bills played that hand pretty well. It just turned out the 5 game phenom crashed and burned right after the deal was done. Who knows why, I am sure the whole bills organization wishes they knew too.

Understood ... I was looking at it more as the quotient of sums (sum of the total $$ he got from the Bills/sum of the time he was here), a view in which anyone is free to poke holes.

I think he earned something like 32m over the 4 years that he was with the Bills......8m/year.

I think he earned something like 32m over the 4 years that he was with the Bills......8m/year.

OK, his previous contract was 3 years/7.4 million in salary according to this, with 3.2 million in 2011 being superceded by the new contract....

So $21+7.4-3.2 = 25.2 (plus a relatively small signing bonus on the 1st contract), $6.4 million a year.

Not a bargain, but not a hideous investment in a mid-tier starter. A number of teams paying more $$ to a QB who is no better or worse.

Edited by Hopeful

OK, his previous contract was 3 years/7.4 million in salary according to this, with 3.2 million in 2011 being superceded by the new contract....

So $21+7.4-3.2 = 25.2 (plus a relatively small signing bonus on the 1st contract), $6.4 million a year.

Not a bargain, but not a hideous investment in a mid-tier starter. A number of teams paying more $$ to a QB who is no better or worse.

I've been trying to figure out his 2009 contract for weeks now. If anyone could find a link(I've had a decent look for one but didn't find it)....linking it would be much appreciated.

I was under the assumption that his 2009 contract had an 8m signing bonus attached. This works in perfectly with figuring his 2011 extension(in several areas).

You seem to be working from memory on this Hopeful.....which I'll trust over my attempts to make sense of his 2011 contract.

I actually never meant to dilute your base point.....just that I was under the impression that the dollars/year was a good deal more than what you stated.

I agree with this view. I think Brandon has been running the show for some time now. I also think he's the problem with our bills more so than Mr. Wilson.

T Jax masterbates to the kind of production that Fitz had in Buffalo. That's why he never played. Tavaris is terrible. The dude has played one full season ever, and through a whopping 14 TD's and 13 Ints...

Edited by Mango