McKelvin re-signed

McKelvin has the physical specs to be a great CB in this league but it has been the "football awareness" part of the game that has hindered his play on the field. We all know Mckelvin can run step for step with any WR in the nfl, the problem is that everytime a pass is completed on him he is in position but fails to turn his hips around and locate the ball to swat it away, Mckelvin is also one of those guys that plays better when his confidence is high, it has been pretty trying for him over the past two years because he has been benched a couple times for poor play and you know that has hurt his confidence, which is critical for a DB.

Pettine is supposedly a guru with DBs and look what he did with Antonio Cromartie this year, he took a guy with immense physical talent and poor football IQ and turned him into a stud. McKelvin has all the ability in the world to live up to this 4 year 20 million dollar deal and hopefully the bills are rewarded for their faith. Throw in the bonus return ability and now we have one less hole to address in FA and in the draft and I think its a win win for both sides

Edited by TallskiWallski83

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McKelvin has the physical specs to be a great CB in this league but it has been the "football awareness" part of the game that has hindered his play on the field. We all know Mckelvin can run step for step with any WR in the nfl, the problem is that everytime a pass is completed on him he is in position but fails to turn his hips around and locate the ball to swat it away, Mckelvin is also one of those guys that plays better when his confidence is high, it has been pretty trying for him over the past two years because he has been benched a couple times for poor play and you know that has hurt his confidence, which is critical for a DB.

Pettine is supposedly a guru with DBs and look what he did with Antonio Cromartie this year, he took a guy with immense physical talent and poor football IQ and turned him into a stud. McKelvin has all the ability in the world to live up to this 4 year 20 million dollar deal and hopefully the bills are rewarded for their faith. Throw in the bonus return ability and now we have one less hole to address in FA and in the draft and I think its a win win for both sides

Good post. I love the Cromartie comparison (hopefully without the kids). McKelvin is so physically talented that maybe jsut putting him on a slot receiver and telling him to run after him could be the best role for him.

Even if he is a nickel corner, the majority of offenses play 3 wrs most of the time. So you are getting a guy who is maybe the best KR/ PR/ STs gunner, and nickel corner for at MOST $20 million dollars. What's the problem here?

pettine has watched him for 4 years, plus I am sure he has watched a ton of tape. If he is on board then i am. I always thought mckelvin was a guy who is in position most of the time but for some reason he does not make the play . perhaps coaching will help

And to add something not mentioned yet, McKelvin's position coach for his entire career was the now-departed George Catavolos on whose watch it seemed every Bills DB regressed or never developed.

I'll say - 12 kids, 8 mothers, 6 states....

Don't freak out about the money until we know how it'll be distributed throughout the 4 years.

I hope we find out quickly, because unless that deal includes an $8MM bonus payment after year 3, I'm pretty much gonna freakout.

Well, at least he's only 27. If anyone can get something out of him defensively, it's Pettine... and my guess is that he saw something in Leodis that's worthy and gave his endorsement. Don't see the Bills making a move like that w/out long tape review from the D Coordinator.

20 mil! WTF... Have they not seen him cover?

THE PRESIDENT OF THE GIBRAN HAMDAN FAN CLUB HAS SPOKEN!!!!! Quick, cut McKelvin and bring back The Chroise!

Edited by H2o

4 years experience and learning. Will only improve. Better pass rush and the whole back field improves. Great return man. Our only glimmer in most games last year. Good investment and the bucks alone make you think your better and thats important in his position.

One would have to think that Pettine looked at every single play Leodis has been in the game in the last 2-3 years and gave his ringing endorsement to this idea or Nix/Whaley/Overdorf/Littman/Brandon never would have signed off on a significant long term contract for Leo.

I have to ask, how many of those moaning today about the re-signing of Leodis have previously sung the old song about how the Bills have allowed their DBs to walk after their rookie contracts ran out?

Not a bad price for a top-flight returner and improving nickel back, and the signing, along with Byrd, makes it that much less likely the Bills will spend a high draft pick on a DB. That makes me very happy, and not just because it is also better for the health of my good friend Bill in NYC. :D

I also hope they re-sign Levtire, but take this signing as a positive rather than a negative even on that score. The team is focused on keeping as much of its own talent as possible. That is all good..

McKelvin does not have this history.......you are thinking of Travis Henry. This comment really inappriopriate.

Work on that reading comprehension. He was referring to Antonio Cromartie.