McKelvin re-signed

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twitter is saying 7.5MM guaranteed. Also, Graham says we'll need more coverage guys for Pettine's D.

Still reserving judgement until we see the breakdown, though I'm glad he's is back.....

Thanks for the research fella's. Like I imagined at first, no way he's getting that money on a truck at his door.

For whatever reason I am starting to think more that McGee could come back in some form to this team. Give him a low figure, let him retire as a Bill, give him a year or two... I still think there is a bit in the tank, and if anyone is going to tap it here Pettine can.

I would rather the Bills have used this money to sign Levitre. Frankly, this makes no sense to me. He has been benched over each of the last five years by different coaching staffs because he is not a starting caliber CB. Re-signing a CB who is not a starter for $5 million per year versus a starting near Pro Bowl caliber LG for $7 or 8 million per year? This is a microcosm of why the Bills have not made the playoffs in 13 years.

Because the cornerbaclk position is more important than the guard position. Also, it's much easier to find a guard than it is to find a starting cornerback. It's a passing league and you can't have enough good cornerbacks. 5 million per year for a starting cornerback is a relative bargain in today's game. Whether you feel he's a good enough corner is another argument, but obviously the Bills brass must think that he is. I must say his play improved alot over the last part of the year. He was looking pretty good in man coverage situations. Also, what would a team pay for a great return man? Add that in the mix when you consider what he's now being paid and I like the signing.

I doubt that the contract is for $5 per season. But, even if it is, I look at it as would I pay the best PR in the league who rarely got on the field as the #6 CB or WR $1.5 million a year AND pay Leodis McKelvin $3.5 mil a year to be a 2-3 CB on my team? Considering what we have back there, I would say yes to both questions. And we save a roster spot.

I'm happy to have Leodis back. With a good DC and a pass rush, he will very likely be a much better CB, and I never thought he was as bad as a lot of fans do.

When it was said that he was going to be a starter, my question was how does Nix know? Free agency hasn't come, the draft, mini camp, training camp, etc. On top of that Marrone is the coach. Shouldn't he be choosing his starters? So what if we pay Mckelvin a bunch of $ and he doesn't beat( say an undrafted) for the starting position? We will be paying him for just returning the ball. Just seems a little crazy at the moment. I will wait for contract details. This feels like Brad Smith all over again.

Well, for starters I thought Nix's comment regarding Mckelvin before contract negotiations was semi retarded. Why position him as a starter, when he hadn't lived up to his first contract right before you negotiate his next contract?

In regards to Marrone deciding who starts, I'm pretty sure that he and Pettite looked at this past seasons game films and gave their input. Don't you?

Even if he doesn't become one of the two traditional starting cb's, he will still be playing in the slot. Which means that he will still be on the field on well over half the defensive plays. And lets not forget that he did do well in the slot last year. Combine that with his return abilities, I'd say that at the very least that its pretty close to market value.

Having said that, I'd personally still would of rather had Levitre signed. Who knows? Maybe it will still happen

No issues with this deal. McKelvin, while having poor ball skills is still a pretty solid cover corner. I think some better coaching will work wonders. Buffalo clearly believes his flaws are very coachable. He's also an elite return guy. Still young. I'm good with this.

I would rather the Bills have used this money to sign Levitre. Frankly, this makes no sense to me. He has been benched over each of the last five years by different, yet completely inept, coaching staffs because he is not a starting caliber CB. Re-signing a CB who is not a starter for $5 million per year versus a starting near Pro Bowl caliber LG for $7 or 8 million per year? This is a microcosm of why the Bills have not made the playoffs in 13 years.

Fixed that for you.

There are dozens of other factors that influence McKelvin's performance as a CB.

I would rather the Bills have used this money to sign Levitre. Frankly, this makes no sense to me. He has been benched over each of the last five years by different coaching staffs because he is not a starting caliber CB. Re-signing a CB who is not a starter for $5 million per year versus a starting near Pro Bowl caliber LG for $7 or 8 million per year? This is a microcosm of why the Bills have not made the playoffs in 13 years.

Including thsi paast year also.

Oh well.

Fixed that for you.

There are dozens of other factors that influence McKelvin's performance as a CB.

Well done Mike in Syracuse. Oddly enough my name is Mike and we share the same city. Kudos to us. As for the "decision" to take McKelvin over Andy. I'm okay with it. Guys who can cover are always more valued over interior linemen, who tend to be very replaceable.

Well, for starters I thought Nix's comment regarding Mckelvin before contract negotiations was semi retarded. Why position him as a starter, when he hadn't lived up to his first contract right before you negotiate his next contract?

The only thing I can come up with is that he said it so McKelvin wouldnt be insulted when they came in with an offer equal to/lower than his previous contract. And based on the little we know, it looks like a former 1st round CB re-signed for about the same deal as his rookie contract, just shortened one year. So I have to imagine the Bills came in with something lower initially, right around the time Buddy made that statement.

Edited by DrDareustein