Geno Smith vs Matt Barkley last 2yrs

Yup I also tuned in. Thanks just the same for the heads up though.

jb

You'd think they'd want something a bit exciting in the previews, maybe a little substance to get you interested... But no.... No teaser, no action.

Oh well.

Worst. Preview. Ever.

Barkley answered can you be Brady/manning with "I want to be and think I can be that kind of player by putting in the work like they do"

Geno described his legacy as "a hard worker that's humble and wanted to win every game"

And they showed like 3 passes from each

Quotes above totally paraphrased but get the gist of the answers.

As someone who possesses inside info on both of these players, I can report that they take it one game at a time, and put in the hard work so they can execute on gameday.

You're so goddamn smart...

Except you ain't. I get you, smart guy, I know what you are. Straight as a corkscrew, Mr. Indside-Outsky. Like a goddamn bolshevik, picking up your orders from Yegg Central. You think you're so goddamn smart. You joined up with Johnny Caspar. You bumped Bernie Bernbaum. Up is down. Black is white. Well, I think you're half-smart. I think you were straight with your frail and queer with Johnny Caspar. And I think you'd sooner join a Ladie's League than gun a guy down.

I take this as a random reminder to myself that I have still not seen the movie.....and have been meaning to watch it for over a decade.

Downloading now. :thumbsup:

Watch the video on Barkley before you repeat things like, "noodle arm". Before I'd gone and done my own research I thought only what I'd been reading - that Barkley had a weak arm. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised when I watched him hit WR's IN STRIDE with passes that sailed 40 yards or more IN THE AIR! He was making every throw an NFL QB would need to make. Fitz can't make some of these throws - Barkley CAN. This kid is not limited by his arm strength. And, he's used to a pro style offense, he's a leader, a winner, and he's amazingly accurate.

If Buffalo has a shot at Barkley I just cannot imagine them passing him up - he'd be a GODSEND to a franchise in need of a QB. Bills fans should wake up to this - he'd be the answer we've all been looking for.

So you are ready to draft a QB based on how he played in 2011,and part of 2012 without waiting to see what his arm is like after his shoulder injury?

Which games would you like me to watch? The ones where he threw 15 INT's in 2012 or the one where he injured his shoulder and couldn't play in the senior bowl or throw that the combine? USC went 7-6 last year and lost to GT in the Sun bowl. Barkely was the starting QB in 4 of those losses

"Some will knock his size, "average" arm strength or the fact that he has never faced SEC competition"

http://www.cbssports...players/1664140

"Arm Strength: This is another area where I find Barkley’s skill set lacking. When required to drive the ball across the field (for instance on the deep out) the ball hangs on him. He doesn’t have the ability to muscle it in at the next level, and that’s really a deal breaker for me. He has decent velocity in the mid range game, but struggles vertically. In the NFL, defensive backs break on the ball much more quickly, and many of the passes Barkley throws in college would be picked off at the NFL level. Barkley has also benefited from throwing to standout receivers like Woods and Lee."

"Overall: Barkley rides a lot of hype from the media, and obviously for being the starter at USC, I just don’t see a first round/franchise caliber quarterback here, though. His tools are middling, and he lacks the “plus athleticism” to overcome that. When I look at Barkley I’m reminded a lot of Trent Dilfer. A guy with a wealth of football knowledge, who has/had a middle of the road skill set, and will need a good team around him to be successful. I wouldn’t pin my Super Bowl hopes to him, though.

All in all, I wouldn’t touch Barkley in the first round. He’s not a franchise caliber quarterback, he’s a journeyman backup type, and I just can’t justify spending anything very high on him. Someone will reach for him earlier than warranted though, most likely."

"However, things started to unravel in a Week 3 loss to Stanford, with Barkley appearing to crumble under the intense pass rush from the Cardinal. He repeatedly made poor decisions against the blitz, resulting in a pair of interceptions and several negative plays. In addition, Barkley’s lack of athleticism and questionable arm strength stood out as possible deficiencies at the next level. Those flaws continued to show up throughout the season, with Barkley tossing 15 interceptions, including nine in his final four games. Poor decision making and sub-standard physical tools were already spawning questions about Barkley’s capacity to become a franchise quarterback in the NFL when a shoulder injury in the Trojans’ Nov. 17 loss to rival UCLA sparked concern about his health and durability, particularly when he couldn’t return for the Sun Bowl."

http://nachmanyfootb...couting-report/

Like I stated earlier, I'm waiting to see what the story is AFTER his pro day, and to read what the scouts say about his arm then.

What I base my opinion on is the fact that with any QB throwing in Ralph Wilson stadium it can be very difficult at times considering what the velocity of the winds are like some days. Both kickers and QB's have complained about what its like to play in those swirling winds. Jim Kelly had so much success in RWS because he had a cannon arm, and could easily rip a tight spiral threw those winds.

If you want me to keep my mouth shut, it's gonna cost you some dough. I figure a thousand bucks is reasonable, so I want two.

Edited by FeartheLosing

As someone who possesses inside info on both of these players, I can report that they take it one game at a time, and put in the hard work so they can execute on gameday.

Well I certainly hope this implies that they're the first to arrive at the building and the last to leave and that they put their pants on one leg at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Geno's got the gun. And he's fast. Better athlete. He's the only one who is worth taking in the first.

If Gino is so quick, why the high sack #'s. Also, Barkley played behind a terrible O-line. I think the Bills should take one of them if they are there at #8, I just don't see that happening. Plus, I think Gino's Jr. numbers were against Big East teams.

Exactly ,some these people on here,remind me of past Bills adm. Its Geno or Barkley . If not try ,try again. Alot of these top picks are ruined with shitz coaching though.

If not Gino or Barkley, see my mock draft below. Take someone else who can start day 1 and plug a hole who has pro-bowl potential, then take a good QB in RD 2.

Edited by RyanC883

If Gino is so quick, why the high sack #'s. Also, Barkley played behind a terrible O-line. I think the Bills should take one of them if they are there at #8, I just don't see that happening. Plus, I think Gino's Jr. numbers were against Big East teams.

Genos O line was about on par and maybe worse than the Cardinals o line. not to make excuses for the guy, but it was pretty bad.

What confuses me about this thread is how some people here are "reading up" on these QBs now. Geno and Barkley have been playing for years. If you haven't watched them play for yourself and have to scramble to find articles on them, maybe you should just not post your opinion and spare the rest of us who have from this nonsense of Nassib being a better prospect than Geno.

Some people don't watch college football - that's cool. But at least keep shut if you cant even form your own opinion w/o having to utilize Google.

If not Gino or Barkley, see my mock draft below. Take someone else who can start day 1 and plug a hole who has pro-bowl potential, then take a good QB in RD 2.

Who did Nassib play against? In a dome.

What confuses me about this thread is how some people here are "reading up" on these QBs now. Geno and Barkley have been playing for years. If you haven't watched them play for yourself and have to scramble to find articles on them, maybe you should just not post your opinion and spare the rest of us who have from this nonsense of Nassib being a better prospect than Geno.

Some people don't watch college football - that's cool. But at least keep shut if you cant even form your own opinion w/o having to utilize Google.

Best advice I've read around here in a while.

Now, if you don't mind, I need to wait for Brian Baldinger to tell me how I'm supposed to feel about free agency.

GO BILLS!!!

Did you really just ask that question?

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not sure why everybody is so down on Tyler Wilson. If I were a bettin' man, or a GM I would get the best LB/WR on the board at #8 and either trade up or hope Tyler Wilson is there early in the second. Conversation Over. He has descent footwork, can throw the ball down the field, has had to read defenses. The only downfall is possibly his decision making and might Fitz some balls here and there. It's sad when you start to use Fitz as an adjective for "Throws the ball in to the dirt or overthrow receivers." But I digress. He is also mobile and still throws the ball on point with pressure in his face. He has the most upside of any of the quarterbacks in my honest opinion. He also needs to learn how to take the ball from under center if he wants to work in Marrone's offense, as well.

I'm getting tired of this, "It's either Smith or Barkley at 8." There is no reason we should draft either QB considering the circumstances we need one. We need a FRANCHISE quarterback if we want to see the success that we have all been craving for the past two decades. However, it doesn't take a franchise quarterback to win a Super Bowl. There have been plenty of teams who have done it with game managers but a great QB can't hurt.

Matt Barkley:

Come on, guys. It's simple. Name one good Quarterback to come out of USC and succeed in the NFL...Marinovich? Palmer? Sanchez? Leinart? Booty? Yes Barkley has great numbers....in Southern California, where the only thing better than the weather are the girls...I don't care what numbers somebody puts up in SoCal when the Bills play in a cold weather system. Analysts agree, Barkley doesn't have the physical credentials to be a successful cold weather quarterback: small hands, weak cold weather arm, etc. We don't know what offense we will be running yet and quite honestly, we don't have the personnel for a West Coast style offense. Nor would Barkley be the guy to go to to lead us in that scheme. He is a waste of an 8th pick in this draft considering the insurmountable question marks left to cover.

Geno Smith:

I kind of like Geno. He had a great pro day and he performed well throughout the season. But again, his Bowl performance worried me. If that is any indication how he performs in certain field conditions I don't think his adaptability is ideal for the Bills system. Furthermore, I know he is fast, athletic, and has a great arm. However, I will always stick by my belief that Running QBs do not last in the NFL. His speed works in college against weaker and slower LBs who cannot cover the flats, but the next level is full of OLBs waiting to lay a lick on any QB who thinks they are bold enough to run on them. Michael Vick, RGIII, Colin Kaepernick are the three of the most prominent running QBs in the league currently. Vick has been injury prone his entire career and RGIII's injury ended the Redskin's season this past year, and could present further issues moving forward. Sure Kaepernick and Wilson aren't injured and they are both very mobile QBs. But they aren't injured yet. Consistent exposure to hard hits and situations where defenses are looking to take them out of the game WILL result in injury. There's a common trait and reason why Brady, Rogers, and Manning are consistently the top tier QBs in the league. They have great OLs, situational awareness, QB IQ, and arm strength. They are all pocket QBs and are well off for it. You do not need a mobile QB to win games.

The 8th pick in this draft should be spent either on an LB, WR, or OL. Enough said. We need all those positions otherwise any QB we could draft in this class would suffer and decline in their freshman year. If we were to draft a QB this year I wouldn't mind having EJ Manuel as early as the second round. He's larger and more durable and can still stretch plays out with his legs. He's got a lot of question marks as well though. Bottom line, there isn't a franchise QB in this draft. Sure nobody can predict the future, but neither can they predict success. We are better off getting positional needs and playing to draft a guy like Manziel or another future QB prospect.

Edited by ctk232

Geno senior yr 42 tds 6 ints 71.2 comp sacked 19 times

Barcley senior year 36tds 15 ints 63.6 comp sacked14 times

Geno junior year 31 tds 7 ints 65.8 comp sacked 26

Barcley 39 tds 7 ints 69.1 comp sacked 8 times

I think the pick at 8 has to be either one. But as Buffalo always has done lately we will pick a second tier q.b. .

No the others aren`t as good and we will once again be kicking ourselves for not picking these boys.

Lets go Boofalo.

I get the feeling if they take a QB at #8, if it isn't Smith, it will be Nassib, not Barkeley.

Barkley reminds me a lot of Fitz w/out the wheels.

That's patently ridiculous, considering Fitz could only play at Harvard and Barkley played for one of the premier programs in Div. I. Fitz can't hold a candle to Barkley's accuracy and arm.

I'm getting tired of this, "It's either Smith or Barkley at 8." There is no reason we should draft either QB considering the circumstances we need one. We need a FRANCHISE quarterback if we want to see the success that we have all been craving for the past two decades. However, it doesn't take a franchise quarterback to win a Super Bowl. There have been plenty of teams who have done it with game managers but a great QB can't hurt.

Name 3 in the last 21 years?

Geno Smith:

I kind of like Geno. He had a great pro day and he performed well throughout the season. But again, his Bowl performance worried me. If that is any indication how he performs in certain field conditions I don't think his adaptability is ideal for the Bills system. Furthermore, I know he is fast, athletic, and has a great arm. However, I will always stick by my belief that Running QBs do not last in the NFL. His speed works in college against weaker and slower LBs who cannot cover the flats, but the next level is full of OLBs waiting to lay a lick on any QB who thinks they are bold enough to run on them. Michael Vick, RGIII, Colin Kaepernick are the three of the most prominent running QBs in the league currently. Vick has been injury prone his entire career and RGIII's injury ended the Redskin's season this past year, and could present further issues moving forward. Sure Kaepernick and Wilson aren't injured and they are both very mobile QBs. But they aren't injured yet. Consistent exposure to hard hits and situations where defenses are looking to take them out of the game WILL result in injury. There's a common trait and reason why Brady, Rogers, and Manning are consistently the top tier QBs in the league. They have great OLs, situational awareness, QB IQ, and arm strength. They are all pocket QBs and are well off for it. You do not need a mobile QB to win games.

Dude, Geno is totally a pocket QB, more so than Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers is pretty much the ideal/prototype QB at this point -- mobility/athleticism/scrambling ability is enough to be very dangerous, but his primary option is usually to destroy teams from the pocket with his elite arm & accuracy. Since becoming the starter (5 years), he's rushed between 54-64 times every year, for at least 200 yards every year, and over 250 four of the five years. He's had 7 runs of 20+ yards in that stretch. He could absolutely run the read option if Mike McCarthy wanted.

Geno is a comparable athlete in terms of foot speed and arm strength, but obviously isn't nearly as good at this point of their careers. The comparison of running numbers isn't apples to apples, because in college, sacks count as runs for negative yardage, whereas in the NFL, they don't count as rushing attempts, and the yardage comes off the team's passing total, not the player/team's rushing total. But last year, Geno "ran" 66 times (47 actual runs, assuming the OP's figure of 19 sacks is correct) for 151 yards. The year before, he "ran" 56 times for -33 yards. Geno is pretty fast for a QB (nowhere near Vick or RG3 though), but he's not a scrambler. He's a pocket passer who is fast enough to get some yards when he tucks and runs.

m not saying Geno is poor---but he isnt worth being drafted so high when you look at past QBs drafted in the top 10. Whats the difference with Gino and the other QBs

Barkley isnt on the Bills radar---he doesnt have the arm strength to through in Buffalo winds.

Matt Barkley:

Come on, guys. It's simple. Name one good Quarterback to come out of USC and succeed in the NFL...Marinovich? Palmer? Sanchez? Leinart? Booty? Yes Barkley has great numbers....in Southern California, where the only thing better than the weather are the girls...I don't care what numbers somebody puts up in SoCal when the Bills play in a cold weather system. Geno Smith:

Fisrt off. That is the dumbest argument I have ever heard, and where they went to college is the least relevant to anything. Name me all tht great QBs that came from Tennessee, Purdue, Cal, Delaware, and Michigan.

Second off. This Buffalo "Cold weather" is a complete misconception. How many games a year is it actually cold, windy and snowy. Maybe 1? Fun Fact: niether QB performes well in those games.

Please find better arguments.

Fisrt off. That is the dumbest argument I have ever heard, and where they went to college is the least relevant to anything. Name me all tht great QBs that came from Tennessee, Purdue, Cal, Delaware, and Michigan.

Second off. This Buffalo "Cold weather" is a complete misconception. How many games a year is it actually cold, windy and snowy. Maybe 1? Fun Fact: niether QB performes well in those games.

I'm with you on the snowy thing -- there's rarely more than 1-2 snow games a year, especially since we never have home playoff games any more. But the wind is legit. I'd say at least half of Bills home games have significant wind that can cause problems for a QB. I don't know how much of the solution is pure arm strength (though obviously a stronger arm is always better). It seems like there's a lot of technique stuff that goes into it -- having a tight spiral, extra good timing w/ receivers, etc.

Yeah But they want Nassib...Who played in a Dome,and cant throw a deep ball,to save his life.

I watched Smith throw on NFL Network. Mayock gave him a good review. He will be selected in the top 10 and as early as 3rd selection (Oakland). Barkley and the rest are being talked of as 2nd and 3rd rounders. Here is the problem for the Bills. Do you sit at 8th and "reach" for a QB or wait to the end of the 1st round and trade up to take the QB you want? Either way has its pitfalls.

I watched Smith throw on NFL Network. Mayock gave him a good review. He will be selected in the top 10 and as early as 3rd selection (Oakland). Barkley and the rest are being talked of as 2nd and 3rd rounders. Here is the problem for the Bills. Do you sit at 8th and "reach" for a QB or wait to the end of the 1st round and trade up to take the QB you want? Either way has its pitfalls.

What I saw was wait until Barkley throws. Geno 5tds 5ints against the Marrone bunch .Barkley 11tds 1 pick against the same .That is a BIG difference. And Geno had bigtime receivers.

I know it will never happen but I would love to trade #8 (assuming geno is gone) with SF and take some of their 2013 picks off their hands and then trade back up to get a guy we like. I'm hoping they don't make a big move for a cb in FA and they like Milliner, that's probably the only way it has a chance.

I'm not sure why everybody is so down on Tyler Wilson. If I were a bettin' man, or a GM I would get the best LB/WR on the board at #8 and either trade up or hope Tyler Wilson is there early in the second. Conversation Over.

DAMN!!!

I was just relishing the thought of joining this discussion!