Cold Weather Super Bowls

billsfan89

the superdome is a 10 minute walk from all the hotels, all the venues for the corporate events, and of course the french quarter. the only time someone needed to get in a car the last 4 days was to get to and from the airport. couple that with weather in the 60/70s and sunny every day and an enclosed dome.... by comparison NY will be a real challenge logistically even in a best case scenario because you have to plan for the sprawl of the city, the dense population, and the potential for disaster in the forecast. and its not just about game day - where do you hold the nfl experience? the fan concerts? whats your plan for halftime? i could walk from "super bowl blvd" to the nfl experience to the super dome and back to the nfl experience in about 30 minutes in shorts and a tshirt this weekend. i made it from the nfl honors award show, over to the maxim party and still back to the nike hospitality room in similar transport time (with obvious stops not included in that timeline), and of course though i missed events at the bud light hotel it was along the way.

if theres any sort of weather issue it will be a disaster. if that weather hits on game day it will be a failure of epic proportions for the nfl.

+ 1000

Edited by PearlHowardman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone that lives 15 minutes from Metlife, and spent 4 yrs of college in NYC, I can not wait for the Superbowl. It's not hard to get to the stadium, from NJ or NYC and honestly i would almost rather take transit from NYC to the stadium then try to drive there. RT 3 is a nightmare but i'm betting all that construction will be finished well before the next superbowl (TY GOD)

My only concern is the possible slight disappointment in the festivities surrounding the stadium. I'm not sure if they will use all the surrounding buildings like the racetrack and the izod center, but it's not like MSG which is literally in the middle of the city and you can go across the street to a bar. You are gonna have to drive, take a bus or taxi. I would almost suggest the NFL/ Metlife personal to somehow designate buses to take fans to different areas/bars and have them running around the clock. There are a ton of really fun places 5-20 minutes away from the stadium that could really heighten the superbowl experience and the visit to NJ. Of course you could just head back to NYC and party it up there.

Also i hope it's a blizzard, i hope it's cold, and i hope it's an amazing game. I will be going to this superbowl simply because it's going to be probably the only one i have a chance to go to.

As someone that lives 15 minutes from Metlife, and spent 4 yrs of college in NYC, I can not wait for the Superbowl. It's not hard to get to the stadium, from NJ or NYC and honestly i would almost rather take transit from NYC to the stadium then try to drive there. RT 3 is a nightmare but i'm betting all that construction will be finished well before the next superbowl (TY GOD)

My only concern is the possible slight disappointment in the festivities surrounding the stadium. I'm not sure if they will use all the surrounding buildings like the racetrack and the izod center, but it's not like MSG which is literally in the middle of the city and you can go across the street to a bar. You are gonna have to drive, take a bus or taxi. I would almost suggest the NFL/ Metlife personal to somehow designate buses to take fans to different areas/bars and have them running around the clock. There are a ton of really fun places 5-20 minutes away from the stadium that could really heighten the superbowl experience and the visit to NJ. Of course you could just head back to NYC and party it up there.

Also i hope it's a blizzard, i hope it's cold, and i hope it's an amazing game. I will be going to this superbowl simply because it's going to be probably the only one i have a chance to go to.

they will have a ton of dedicated transportation. i assure you, if you havent been to a super bowl host city, you will be amazed at what an enormous beast of an event this is that lasts for days. the game is only a small portion of it all. erase from your expectations what you think of with a normal, or even playoff game weekend logistically.

Edited by NoSaint

I have never liked the idea of the Super Bowl being played in neutral or domed or warm weather site. The game should be played in the home field of one of the participants’. You would have a much better game. “Real fans” that live and die with their team would make up the vast majority of those in attendance. Not celebrities or corporate types.

The only reason I ever heard for not doing so was the weather in this part of country during January and February. But the way I look at it, is if you can play a conference championship game in places like Buffalo and Green Bay in mid January, you could also play the Super Bowl their two weeks later.

I have never liked the idea of the Super Bowl being played in neutral or domed or warm weather site. The game should be played in the home field of one of the participants’. You would have a much better game. “Real fans” that live and die with their team would make up the vast majority of those in attendance. Not celebrities or corporate types.

The only reason I ever heard for not doing so was the weather in this part of country during January and February. But the way I look at it, is if you can play a conference championship game in places like Buffalo and Green Bay in mid January, you could also play the Super Bowl their two weeks later.

no the reason is because its a billion dollar event and the setup for it starts months, if not years in advance. to throw together the whole package on 2 weeks notice would be utterly impossible and several cities wouldnt have the capabilities needed to host a spectacle of this size.

Why shouldn't all teams get a crack @ hosting it? Doesn't the city greatly benefit from the game? I can see a game in Seattle (retractable roof). What about San Francisco? I THINK SF is technically considered "cold weather" even if it is only "cool" weather. Who does that leave? Cleveland, Pittsburg, KC? Nashville, heck... Warmer weather than NYC. NE and Boston should be doable like Denver? St.Louis has a dome. Of course: Washington, Carolina... Heck if NYC had (will have) it.. Why not them?

Green Bay may be a hitch... Yikes, it was 5 degrees this past week. BFLO really doesn't get that cold a lot of times.

Anyway... Wouldn't that suck is they use Toronto instead of Buffalo! LoL... Boy what a kick in the nuts that would be. Heck, they have had them in Detroit and Minneapolis and Toronto is bigger and better than those places (think Chicago of Lake Ontario). Heck, they can offer an "NHL Slumming" package to take in a home-home series between the Leafs and Sabres!

What ploy should we use? ;-) :-P

Chicago modernized when the upgraded Soldier to the Flyin' Saucer?

What about the Hump Dome in Minny? Or the SilverDome in Detroit (Pontiac)? Same w/GA Dome... All not "shiny new." Kinda... Dumps.

Perhaps YE OLE is misunderstanding the point here, but when Detroit hosted the SuperBowl in Feb. 2006, it was because Ford Field was "shiny new" which harkens back to zow2's point. If you build it, they will come gents!

By definition you cannot have a blizzard and an amazing game.

But I also want it to be a blizzard like the Bills/Browns Monday night game a few years ago.

Make it a complete and epic embarrassment for the NFL.

I don't remember the Steelers getting the game w/ a new stadium, or the Broncos, or Seattle, etc. They gave it to NYC because its NYC.

denver has announced they will be bidding on 2018 - also the cities themselves have to meet certain minimum standards to even present a package (hotel room total within X distance, minimum event space, airport capacity to handle everything etc...)

Now that's a thought. Could do it at MSG and charge for admission as well. Nothing the NFL likes more than some additional cha-ching!

ESPN radio this morning reported that the NFL said there likely won't be an outdoor halftime show in the stadium.

The thing I found at the 4 Bills Super Bowls is that they are better/more fun in the small market cities. When they were in Atlanta & Pasadena, things were so spread out and there were so many other things going on. In Tampa & Minneapolis, the Super Bowl was IT. Everybody and everything was focused on it. You could get from venue to venue without a lot of travel.

Perhaps YE OLE is misunderstanding the point here, but when Detroit hosted the SuperBowl in Feb. 2006, it was because Ford Field was "shiny new" which harkens back to zow2's point. If you build it, they will come gents!

XVI, 1982 (SF over CINN) was in Detroit, first northern city to host the SB.

denver has announced they will be bidding on 2018 - also the cities themselves have to meet certain minimum standards to even present a package (hotel room total within X distance, minimum event space, airport capacity to handle everything etc...)

All teams should have a chance no matter what. This is a a case of the blessed getting more blessed. Anything else is stacked against a city because of size and geography! Why should a dump like JAX be rewarded with SB just because it is "warm." They had to move boats in to make more hotel rooms!

All teams should have a chance no matter what. This is a a case of the blessed getting more blessed. Anything else is stacked against a city because of size and geography! Why should a dump like JAX be rewarded with SB just because it is "warm." They had to move boats in to make more hotel rooms!

Like it or not, the SB is an event first. A showcase for the NFL with considerations far wider than a game.

What in the world could motivate the NFL to have such an event in a hole like Buffalo particularly in February? Where would everyone stay if they did? Would they shuttle people in from Toronto?

As bad as the game could potentially be in NJ next year due to weather, even in good weather the entire spectacle would be a disaster in a city like Buffalo.

Hmmm. I suppose they could have everyone stay in Toronto and do everything there. Then just play the game at the Ralph.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Wow... I am getting senior memory moments! LoL... Okay, than... It must HAVE snowed like a mother prior to the game. ;-) ;-)

But, it was still cold?

I think you're confusing it with the Raiders playoff game 3 years later. That was one of the coldest games in NFL history.

XVI, 1982 (SF over CINN) was in Detroit, first northern city to host the SB.

Buffalo could update the stadium, create plans to develop the area and plan for the crowds and submit a bid.

Not the nfls fault that they A) haven't B) won't

Remind me again why it's not fair for the nfl to host its event at locations of its choosing deemed fit to the needs they have?

Buffalo could update the stadium, create plans to develop the area and plan for the crowds and submit a bid.

Not the nfls fault that they A) haven't B) won't

Remind me again why it's not fair for the nfl to host its event at locations of its choosing deemed fit to the needs they have?

I understand. In the end you are right. What gets me is that this stuff is self-perpetuating and the good vs. bad snowballs. Take New Orleans and the commercials they were showing in regard to what the Super Bowl is bringing w/help to the city with say education and other social issues. The thing that gets me is because of geography and climate certain areas will always have an upper hand, while others will snowball worse into decay. Of course it takes money to make money. Where are cities like BFLO going to come up with the initial investment? I am not asking for a hand out, just a helping hand. It is almost like certain areas have to play with one hand tied behind their back. I get it, BFLO brings NOTHING to the table... And sadly, NEVER will. Maybe the powers that be in the late 1940's and early 1950's NFL got it right by not allowing BFLO to join the league w/SF and Cleveland (and the defunct first franchise Colts). The writing was clearly on the wall and Ralph had to go and tinker in 1959/60 by bringing a team to BFLO.

Good poin.....hey, wait a minute! I have traveled extensively in this country, and can tell you that there are many, many places which can be labeled "a dump", but Jax isn't one of them. I'm guessing you're just jealous of our great weather, low taxes, low cost of living, good roads, hot women, and beautiful beaches. ;-)

Good poin.....hey, wait a minute! I have traveled extensively in this country, and can tell you that there are many, many places which can be labeled "a dump", but Jax isn't one of them. I'm guessing you're just jealous of our great weather, low taxes, low cost of living, good roads, hot women, and beautiful beaches. ;-)

Yeah but besides that what have you got? ;)

Yeah but besides that what have you got? ;)

And most of the seats in their stadium have very little usage.

I dont get it.

Why not have an outdoor halftime show?

Celebs seem to have no problem performing outside at Rockefeller Center for the lighting of the tree.

CBF

the staging and such has to be in and out, including performance in 30 minutes. totally different beast. the issue isnt the performer being chilly.

Edited by NoSaint

Indy is bidding for a second Super Bowl (2018). Living here I learned it takes alot to host. Super Bowl committee likes to have hotels, restaurants, bars and all that entertainment close to the stadium. NFL does not want to see horror stories of 45 minutes bus rides from sports writers. The host city will have to have at least $20 million for the host committee. Top notch support services (police, fire and EMS) coupled with co-operation of all levels of government. We had to build a state of the art Emergency Management Center to house all these operations. The list is long. If Buffalo or another cold weather city wants to host I hope they succeed. Scrapping the half time show is a small sacrifice.

Denver might bid, but they are doing this because NYC got it. And Seattle, Pittsburgh, etc. all likely meet the certain minimum standards to present a package to the NFL. The "new stadium" excuse is lame. It's in NYC because its NYC. No other city would get it first up north. It will also be expensive and a logistical nightmare. (even if the weather is good.)

the superdome is a 10 minute walk from all the hotels, all the venues for the corporate events, and of course the french quarter. the only time someone needed to get in a car the last 4 days was to get to and from the airport. couple that with weather in the 60/70s and sunny every day and an enclosed dome.... by comparison NY will be a real challenge logistically even in a best case scenario because you have to plan for the sprawl of the city, the dense population, and the potential for disaster in the forecast. and its not just about game day - where do you hold the nfl experience? the fan concerts? whats your plan for halftime? i could walk from "super bowl blvd" to the nfl experience to the super dome and back to the nfl experience in about 30 minutes in shorts and a tshirt this weekend. i made it from the nfl honors award show, over to the maxim party and still back to the nike hospitality room in similar transport time (with obvious stops not included in that timeline), and of course though i missed events at the bud light hotel it was along the way.

if theres any sort of weather issue it will be a disaster. if that weather hits on game day it will be a failure of epic proportions for the nfl.

My point is its a 10 minute drive from Hoboken to Metlife. Hoboken is right across the river from NYC with path access 24/7 and there is public transportation all over the area. Northern NJ is basically built around getting people in and out of NYC.

There are plenty of options near by the arena. I am sorry but if you are rich enough to afford a hotel and tickets to the Super Bowl I am pretty sure you could afford a car to travel through Northern NJ or navigate the vast public transportation options.

In Detroit a few years ago people had to transport themselves to the city's central area with the stadium and it wasn't a big deal.

Next years Super Bowl will be in New Jersey in the beginning of February, and its possible we could see freezing temps, snow, and all sorts of elements that could impact the game. What is everyone's thoughts on next years game being in cold weather and the possibility of playing the game in cold weather cities out doors?

Could/should Chicago, Philly, and other places be in the running for the Super Bowl? I am sure at least Chicago would have the city that could handle all sorts of extra events that could go with the Super Bowl. So should Super Bowls be played in outdoor cold weather cities?

I for one am for it being in a cold weather city every 5 years or so. I think that if its OK for playoff games to be played in the snow and cold then its OK for the Super Bowl too. I also think that playoff football and December football is usually in cold weather so its something that has a big game feel.

No one can predict the weather anymore. Speaking from someone that is within a 30 minute walking distance of the Meadowlands, it can be 40 degrees and sunny or 5 degrees and snowing for all we know. Just because it's Feb doesn't mean it'll be cold anymore. We f'ed our planet to the point where it doesn't even know what season it is

Almost all NFL playoff games are played in freezing temperatures, so why should this be an exception? Because of the money, that's why. Screw that. Let the SB be played outdoors and you can have your precious halftime show indoors somewhere outside the stadium.

Slightly off topic, but related: I would LOVE to see the Superbowl played at one of the 2 teams' home stadiums.

Playoff football is great, and a big part of that is crazy fan support and crowd noise.

You remove that from the Superbowl and the spectacle of the event is diminished.

I always feel like "playoff football" ends with the championship games.

The Superbowl itself is something of an over-commercialized freak show.

Edited by Stopthepain

Slightly off topic, but related: I would LOVE to see the Superbowl played at one of the 2 teams' home stadiums.

Playoff football is great, and a big part of that is crazy fan support and crowd noise.

You remove that from the Superbowl and the spectacle of the event is diminished.

I always feel like "playoff football" ends with the championship games.

The Superbowl itself is something of an over-commercialized freak show.

I'd be all for that --- best record gets home field. You'd stop seeing playoff teams tanking the last couple weeks of the regular season.

Stadium full of real fans. No queer halftime nonsense (standard 12 minute break). 3 pm kickoff. There could be a lot of improvements to the Super Bowl.

I have been to JAX for three games... I am not impressed. Especially when they tarp the upper deck. It has nothing to do with what you say, it has to do with what I saw... IMO, a dump. JAX gets a break from the socialist NFL because of the weather and its "emerging market" status. They didn't have enough hotel rooms either. IMO, so many better parts of FLA.

Agree to disagree... I have been all over this great country, JAX is not one I was NOT impressed with...

Those who said that Buffalo could host a Super Bowl-please stop. There is not even close to hotel space and nobody would want this to happen. Please name anything close to a five star hotel in WNY. Buffalo is so thin skinned about national perception-there is no way the city would want to deal with the kind of abuse a Buffalo Super Bowl would get. Leave it to cities built for tourism. New Orleans, Miami, San Diego, LA, maybe Tampa. Places were people can have fun in the winter.

The only thing I will add to this is I agree with NoSaint, good weather it will still be a logistical nightmare to get around town to all the good parties & events during the week. People do not want to wasting their time getting from destination to destination which will be the case next year. Peter King lists the worst super bowl place as Miami & his specific reason was everything is too spread out. I think it is pretty awesome that like NoSaint said in NO this year he could walk to everything. That makes the week so much more enjoyable. If it is bad weather or if a Noreaster hits that week the NFL & everybody attending the Super Bowl is screwed & there is no other way to put it.

2nd, I was flying into Newark Monday coming home from Vegas. It was a clear day & I noticed out the window was Met Life Stadium. I know I was in the air, but the stadium does not look impressive at all. In fact from an arial view at least, I would suggest the Ralph looks better. I just thought it was going to be this awesome looking stadium & it looked like there was nothing special about it. If anybody has ever been in that stadium please enlighten me about the strong aspects of it. It would be much appreciated.

Next years Super Bowl will be in New Jersey in the beginning of February, and its possible we could see freezing temps, snow, and all sorts of elements that could impact the game. What is everyone's thoughts on next years game being in cold weather and the possibility of playing the game in cold weather cities out doors?

Could/should Chicago, Philly, and other places be in the running for the Super Bowl? I am sure at least Chicago would have the city that could handle all sorts of extra events that could go with the Super Bowl. So should Super Bowls be played in outdoor cold weather cities?

I for one am for it being in a cold weather city every 5 years or so. I think that if its OK for playoff games to be played in the snow and cold then its OK for the Super Bowl too. I also think that playoff football and December football is usually in cold weather so its something that has a big game feel.

football is a sport played in all weather conditions and it is wrong for the Superbowl to be shoe horned into only a 1/2 dozen or so posh stadiums

yes it will probably take some away from some of those whom are looking for a warm weather vacation, but screw them.. The game itself is getting to posh and it needs to be returned a little back towards the grunt game it was and weather is a big factor.

As for halftime shows> I HATE them. I could care less about them> haven't watched one. i always have something better to do while halftime is happening. The only time I watched halftime was when the Simpsons had their halftime episode that one time.

I find it sad that people want their football to be further decaffeinated and the Superbowl to only be played in cushy warm weather venues. Time to put some of the grunt back into football

Edited by shibuya

The only thing I will add to this is I agree with NoSaint, good weather it will still be a logistical nightmare to get around town to all the good parties & events during the week. People do not want to wasting their time getting from destination to destination which will be the case next year. Peter King lists the worst super bowl place as Miami & his specific reason was everything is too spread out. I think it is pretty awesome that like NoSaint said in NO this year he could walk to everything. That makes the week so much more enjoyable. If it is bad weather or if a Noreaster hits that week the NFL & everybody attending the Super Bowl is screwed & there is no other way to put it.

2nd, I was flying into Newark Monday coming home from Vegas. It was a clear day & I noticed out the window was Met Life Stadium. I know I was in the air, but the stadium does not look impressive at all. In fact from an arial view at least, I would suggest the Ralph looks better. I just thought it was going to be this awesome looking stadium & it looked like there was nothing special about it. If anybody has ever been in that stadium please enlighten me about the strong aspects of it. It would be much appreciated.

One complaint I heard in Miami, which I imagine will be an issue in NY/NJ - "my team just won the Super Bowl and it took me over in hour to get in a cab for a $50 ride to where everyone was partying."