Cold Weather Super Bowls

billsfan89

Next years Super Bowl will be in New Jersey in the beginning of February, and its possible we could see freezing temps, snow, and all sorts of elements that could impact the game. What is everyone's thoughts on next years game being in cold weather and the possibility of playing the game in cold weather cities out doors?

Could/should Chicago, Philly, and other places be in the running for the Super Bowl? I am sure at least Chicago would have the city that could handle all sorts of extra events that could go with the Super Bowl. So should Super Bowls be played in outdoor cold weather cities?

I for one am for it being in a cold weather city every 5 years or so. I think that if its OK for playoff games to be played in the snow and cold then its OK for the Super Bowl too. I also think that playoff football and December football is usually in cold weather so its something that has a big game feel.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the positive side, next year's game might be an "easier" ticket for the regular fan as I don't believe the corporate types will really want to get that bundled up and face the elements.

these corporate types wont have to travel - you will see them use every ticket and then some even if they get passed to someone else in the office. NYC will be miserable to get a ticket in as 12 million people wont have to travel, get hotels etc... if anything it will be among the hardest ever to buy into at a reasonable price.

what will be the real issue is travel to and from the stadium - new orleans is walkable, NY will not be. add in the weather potentially causing issues.... everyone i spoke with was worried about next year.

Edited by NoSaint

One of the biggest games in championship history was played in the cold weather of Green Bay the Ice Bowl. It use to be common place but the game along with the people in the US have become soft & want it to be played inside so their hands don't get cold which i get it !!

But if they are going to play the SB in NJ for the NJ Giants then all of the cold weather cities should be able to host a SB, (like thats gonna happen) !!

If each city had enough time they could prepare like they do for the olympics.

Next year will go a long way to see how the cold weather SB idea plays out ...

A Super Bowl held in cold climes runs the risk of having actual football fans in attendance. Wherever will the celebs go that weekend?

The NFL will just triple their suit tickets & they will be in the warmth of the climate controlled booths !! While the true football fans will be where they have always been !!

I think having it outdoors anywhere is a bad idea. And outdoors in the Northeast in Feb makes me question the mental capacity of the NFL leadership.

The SB is the one game that the NFL should want the best team to win. And more important to their wish to market the game outside the US, the best quality game possible.

Having both teams running around slipping and sliding in a whiteout like that awful Bills/Browns Monday night game a few years ago would be a disgrace, And that is exactly what they are risking, not just to a US audience, but to a worldwide one.

I for one hope for the worst weather conditions possible so they never consider making that mistake again.

However I must admit that the possibility of the halftime pop star de jour slip and fall on his/her ass during the live performance (and having the music continue on as if nothing happened) might be worth it.

One of the biggest games in championship history was played in the cold weather of Green Bay the Ice Bowl. It use to be common place but the game along with the people in the US have become soft & want it to be played inside so their hands don't get cold which i get it !!

But if they are going to play the SB in NJ for the NJ Giants then all of the cold weather cities should be able to host a SB, (like thats gonna happen) !!

If each city had enough time they could prepare like they do for the olympics.

Next year will go a long way to see how the cold weather SB idea plays out ...

The NFL will just triple their suit tickets & they will be in the warmth of the climate controlled booths !! While the true football fans will be where they have always been !!

I could see Denver, Chicago and possibly Philly getting one. They could have to put it on a every ten year rotation to outdoor stadiums in colder climates.

It would be funny as heck if the cold weather Super Bowl involved any warm weather teams.

Such as Miami, Arizona, New Orleans, Atlanta, San Fran, etc..

What was the weather in NJ yesterday ?

Temperature: 27 degrees.

Winds: 10 mph from the west.

Wind chill temperature: 17 degrees.

Light snow began to fall at about 8 p.m., which a year from now would likely be around the two-minute warning of the first half.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130204/baltimore-ravens-win-super-bowl-xlvii-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2Jx4T1pVt

A Super Bowl held in cold climes runs the risk of having actual football fans in attendance. Wherever will the celebs go that weekend?

You mean Beyonce wouldn't wear what she wore last night if the game was in NJ? That would be a damn shame. :worthy:

Next years Super Bowl will be in New Jersey in the beginning of February, and its possible we could see freezing temps, snow, and all sorts of elements that could impact the game. What is everyone's thoughts on next years game being in cold weather and the possibility of playing the game in cold weather cities out doors?

Could/should Chicago, Philly, and other places be in the running for the Super Bowl? I am sure at least Chicago would have the city that could handle all sorts of extra events that could go with the Super Bowl. So should Super Bowls be played in outdoor cold weather cities?

I for one am for it being in a cold weather city every 5 years or so. I think that if its OK for playoff games to be played in the snow and cold then its OK for the Super Bowl too. I also think that playoff football and December football is usually in cold weather so its something that has a big game feel.

I don't know if it's written, but it's obvious that any city that builds a shiny new stadium will be in the running for a SB, along with the warm weather usuals. They gave one to Houston, Indy, Dallas and now NY. Philly and Chicago will NOT be getting a SB unless they upgrade and modernize. I personally hate the outdoor SB idea. I've been to 3 and they were all warm weather and it's just nicer. If i want to freeze my a$$ off I already have RWS at my disposal.

Why shouldn't all teams get a crack @ hosting it? Doesn't the city greatly benefit from the game? I can see a game in Seattle (retractable roof). What about San Francisco? I THINK SF is technically considered "cold weather" even if it is only "cool" weather. Who does that leave? Cleveland, Pittsburg, KC? Nashville, heck... Warmer weather than NYC. NE and Boston should be doable like Denver? St.Louis has a dome. Of course: Washington, Carolina... Heck if NYC had (will have) it.. Why not them?

Green Bay may be a hitch... Yikes, it was 5 degrees this past week. BFLO really doesn't get that cold a lot of times.

Anyway... Wouldn't that suck is they use Toronto instead of Buffalo! LoL... Boy what a kick in the nuts that would be. Heck, they have had them in Detroit and Minneapolis and Toronto is bigger and better than those places (think Chicago of Lake Ontario). Heck, they can offer an "NHL Slumming" package to take in a home-home series between the Leafs and Sabres!

For the halftime show the performers will need to wear more clothes taking out some of appeal of some acts.

Personally I am hoping for one of those truly big blizzards where NYC needs to beg Buffalo to send ploys down there.

What ploy should we use? ;-) :-P

I don't know if it's written, but it's obvious that any city that builds a shiny new stadium will be in the running for a SB, along with the warm weather usuals. They gave one to Houston, Indy, Dallas and now NY. Philly and Chicago will NOT be getting a SB unless they upgrade and modernize. I personally hate the outdoor SB idea. I've been to 3 and they were all warm weather and it's just nicer. If i want to freeze my a$$ off I already have RWS at my disposal.

Chicago modernized when the upgraded Soldier to the Flyin' Saucer?

What about the Hump Dome in Minny? Or the SilverDome in Detroit (Pontiac)? Same w/GA Dome... All not "shiny new." Kinda... Dumps.

I think one of the motivations for giving it to NY/NJ was becasue they built a new stadium with alot of their own money, same reason Dallas got it two years ago. So if Chicago, Phily build new stadiums, then they will also likely be in line to get one. It's a reward romthe league to help them get some $$ back for building it.

if the source saying that there are hundreds of things they didnt think of is correct, then everyone making the decision needs to be slapped. the average fan couldve told you within minutes that there were hundreds of terrible variables being introduced.

my guess, off site halftime show occuring indoors and somehow worked into the stadium as semi-interactive between the two venues

I think one of the motivations for giving it to NY/NJ was becasue they built a new stadium with alot of their own money, same reason Dallas got it two years ago. So if Chicago, Phily build new stadiums, then they will also likely be in line to get one. It's a reward romthe league to help them get some $$ back for building it.

Kraft built The Razor, in Foxboro, the same way, if not ALL privately financed money. Oh wait, they reward the Pats* by shredding evidence and bending the rules...

Quick question. I know the Gray Cup gets a lot of domes like Rogers Centre and BC Place... But, what about the years they hold it elsewhere? Have there been sloppy conditions? I know it is all about "breads and circuses." Scre the "circuses" and pay attention to just the "breads" (ie: game itself). Put the Edinboro Marchinng Band on the field! LoL... WOW, would that be "retro!" Maybe start a new "trend"in "austerity!"

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Now that's a thought. Could do it at MSG and charge for admission as well. Nothing the NFL likes more than some additional cha-ching!

Exactly - it can be a full offsite show and just have that be a piece. The only other obvious answer I see - a huge marching band themed event with some killer stars mixed in with minimal staging (essentially make the band the staging)

Chicago modernized when the upgraded Soldier to the Flyin' Saucer?

What about the Hump Dome in Minny? Or the SilverDome in Detroit (Pontiac)? Same w/GA Dome... All not "shiny new." Kinda... Dumps.

The Dome in Minny and Pontiac are already the old days of the NFL. They took a chance on cold weather sites but indoors.... and those facilities were not considered "dumps" back then.

Chicago was upgraded in 2002-2003 before this next wave of stadiums were built, plus it's outdoors. They didn't consider outdoors until rewarding NY/NJ for building the new Meadowlands.

I'm on record as saying that next year's Super Bowl is going to be a disaster.

In the cold is one thing. If you want a game in the cold then Chicago is the place to play.

But northern New Jersey is NOT the place for the Super Bowl. The stadium is too far away from NYC.

Its really not. ITs maybe 40 mins away. I drove at least an hour to go to Bills games dozens of times

Also The cold weather is going to be very dumb. One team will make it as a high flying offense and the other will be able to run. Because its cold the running team will win. In the Super Bowl the elements shouldnt be a factor IMO

Edited by Captain Hindsight

I could see Denver, Chicago and possibly Philly getting one. They could have to put it on a every ten year rotation to outdoor stadiums in colder climates.

Temperature: 27 degrees.

Winds: 10 mph from the west.

Wind chill temperature: 17 degrees.

Light snow began to fall at about 8 p.m., which a year from now would likely be around the two-minute warning of the first half.

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2Jx4T1pVt

I live in NJ about 5 minutes outside of Giants/Meadowlands Stadium and while I wasn't obviously outside the whole time I was watching the game but what little snow fell was barely flurries, it wouldn't have effected the game. As for the weather it was cold but not unbearable just a very crisp cold.

But it was also 50+ degrees and very nice earlier in that week. But it could also snow a foot, its going to be interesting but if the weather is the same as it was yesterday I would say that the game would be just fine.

I'm on record as saying that next year's Super Bowl is going to be a disaster.

In the cold is one thing. If you want a game in the cold then Chicago is the place to play.

But northern New Jersey is NOT the place for the Super Bowl. The stadium is too far away from NYC.

Without traffic its 10 minutes from the Stadium to downtown Manhattan and with traffic its like 40 minutes going from Jersey to Manhattan or 30 minutes from NY to NJ. I make that drive all the dam time. I don't know how much closer you want to get NYC. Its actually a good place being that you have two teams practice facilities so each team has their own place to go to. Also if you count the county the Stadium is located in you would have a city bigger than New Orleans.

Its not going to be a disaster at all. The Meadowlands has held two games in one week without a hitch. NYC can handle the corporate events while NJ takes the football related stuff. NJ handles two teams a year every year, I really don't see why the Super Bowl over the course of two weeks split between NJ and NY would be so hard.

Edited by billsfan89

I live in NJ about 5 minutes outside of Giants/Meadowlands Stadium and while I wasn't obviously outside the whole time I was watching the game but what little snow fell was barely flurries, it wouldn't have effected the game. As for the weather it was cold but not unbearable just a very crisp cold.

But it was also 50+ degrees and very nice earlier in that week. But it could also snow a foot, its going to be interesting but if the weather is the same as it was yesterday I would say that the game would be just fine.

Without traffic its 10 minutes from the Stadium to downtown Manhattan and with traffic its like 40 minutes going from Jersey to Manhattan or 30 minutes from NY to NJ. I make that drive all the dam time. I don't know how much closer you want to get NYC. Its actually a good place being that you have two teams practice facilities so each team has their own place to go to. Also if you count the county the Stadium is located in you would have a city bigger than New Orleans.

Its not going to be a disaster at all. The Meadowlands has held two games in one week without a hitch. NYC can handle the corporate events while NJ takes the football related stuff. NJ handles two teams a year every year, I really don't see why the Super Bowl over the course of two weeks split between NJ and NY would be so hard.

the superdome is a 10 minute walk from all the hotels, all the venues for the corporate events, and of course the french quarter. the only time someone needed to get in a car the last 4 days was to get to and from the airport. couple that with weather in the 60/70s and sunny every day and an enclosed dome.... by comparison NY will be a real challenge logistically even in a best case scenario because you have to plan for the sprawl of the city, the dense population, and the potential for disaster in the forecast. and its not just about game day - where do you hold the nfl experience? the fan concerts? whats your plan for halftime? i could walk from "super bowl blvd" to the nfl experience to the super dome and back to the nfl experience in about 30 minutes in shorts and a tshirt this weekend. i made it from the nfl honors award show, over to the maxim party and still back to the nike hospitality room in similar transport time (with obvious stops not included in that timeline), and of course though i missed events at the bud light hotel it was along the way.

if theres any sort of weather issue it will be a disaster. if that weather hits on game day it will be a failure of epic proportions for the nfl.

Edited by NoSaint

Its really not. ITs maybe 40 mins away. I drove at least an hour to go to Bills games dozens of times

Also The cold weather is going to be very dumb. One team will make it as a high flying offense and the other will be able to run. Because its cold the running team will win. In the Super Bowl the elements shouldnt be a factor IMO

Wait a second. How did the Bills beat the Raiders in the AFC Championship... It was snowing like a mother and they passed.

if the source saying that there are hundreds of things they didnt think of is correct, then everyone making the decision needs to be slapped. the average fan couldve told you within minutes that there were hundreds of terrible variables being introduced.

my guess, off site halftime show occuring indoors and somehow worked into the stadium as semi-interactive between the two venues

2004 Grey Cup...open air stadium...the hip played...just have to cut back on the scale...stage large enough for the band...no dancing girls...no explosions...no complex visuals that only the guys flying the blimp can appreciate...just have to go back to basics...

2004 Grey Cup...open air stadium...the hip played...just have to cut back on the scale...stage large enough for the band...no dancing girls...no explosions...no complex visuals that only the guys flying the blimp can appreciate...just have to go back to basics...

i suspect the nfl is going to shoot for something much grander than that.

LOL, Exactly. Play the Big Game in Green Bay as far as I'm concerned. Sick of the circus mentality that the Super Bowl has turned into. The Playoffs are more interesting/respectable games then the Super Bowl.

I believe it is a stupid idea. Home playoff games are awarded based on regular season records and the home team has earned any advantage that playing at home affords, including the weather. The Super Bowl on the other hand is held at a neutral site and the elements should not be a factor. I know there have been games played in the rain, but rain and cold are two completely different animals. Holding the game outdoors in New Jersey in February is a stupid idea.

If they are going to give a game to NYC simply because its NYC, the following cities should have the Super Bowl:

(1) Buffalo. Yes, Buffalo. Easy access to the game from the highways, large stadium capacity, close to Toronto (the NFL loves to expand viewership to Canada), and plenty of places to stay both in Buffalo and within a few hours drive to Erie or Rochester or Toronto.

(2) Pittsburgh.

(3) Green Bay

(4) Denver

(5) San Fran when new stadium is complete.

(6) Cleveland: at least their fans will have something to look forward to.

(7) Seattle. the "forgotten" NFL team has a sweet stadium, great city, and is not that cold there in the Winter.

If they are going to give a game to NYC simply because its NYC, the following cities should have the Super Bowl:

(1) Buffalo. Yes, Buffalo. Easy access to the game from the highways, large stadium capacity, close to Toronto (the NFL loves to expand viewership to Canada), and plenty of places to stay both in Buffalo and within a few hours drive to Erie or Rochester or Toronto.

(2) Pittsburgh.

(3) Green Bay

(4) Denver

(5) San Fran when new stadium is complete.

(6) Cleveland: at least their fans will have something to look forward to.

(7) Seattle. the "forgotten" NFL team has a sweet stadium, great city, and is not that cold there in the Winter.

They gave it to NYC because they built a new stadium and that's what they do.