Alex Smith might be easier to get than expected

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya. Rip on me all you want (ryan), but I'd prefer the following combo: QB from the draft/Fitz over Smith/QB from this year's draft.

Let Fitz compete with the drafted rookie and let the best man start the season next year. If Fitz gets the nod and we're under .500 after 5 games or so, switch to the rookie if he's ready. If the rookie looks impressive prior to the season, start the rookie.

It'll be a lot easier to switch from Fitz to a rookie QB b/c Fitz has already been here.

This is assuming Fitz is willing to restructure his contract a bit..

Ahh, but what if all of the rookies are really nobodies (as advertised)? Then you are stuck with Fitzpatrick for yet another year (and while I hold him in high regard for his effort, he isn't a good starting NFL QB). I think this is a recipe to get the Defense to quit again, just as it appears they did last year. When the QB isn't good enough, it is hard for the D to really fight with everything they have.

Yup. I love all the "experts" talking like this is the worst draft ever for QBs. If people knew what the hell they were actually talking about, guys like Wilson, Kaep, Dalton would be 1st rounders and guys like Ponder, Gabbert, Locker, etc. would be drafted in the 2nd or later.

And a comparison of careers:

Smith: 59.3 completion %, 14,280 yards, 6.56 ypa, 81 tds, 63 ints, 45 fumbles, 79.1 qb rating. http://espn.go.com/n...8416/alex-smith

Fitz: 59.5 completion %, 14,336 yards, 6.37 ypa, 92 tds, 81 ints, 39 fumbles, 76.8 qb rating. http://espn.go.com/n...yan-fitzpatrick

So we can give up a draft pick and spend starting QB money on Fitz Jr? I mean the way he "carried" the 49ers last year with his 17 tds while overcoming their awful #1 defense was so impressive. You guys are like married guys who lust after every average looking girl you see. Draft a guy, keep Fitz as a backup (we would all love Fitz as a backup/ mentor), and play the rookie no matter what. Bringing in Smith does nothing.

So you seem to be overlooking the fact that we have a new coach. Maybe one who could also coach the best out of Alex Smith.

Fitz is Fitz. I want something different. Even if it is the same! :w00t:

I also expect our D to be strong like we expected it to this year but wanny flamed out hard and is easy to see why. I certainly dont expect that to happen to us next year under Pettine.

• 2 weeks later...

In news that shocks absolutely no one

http://profootballta...re-free-agency/

Some one needs to send some tweets to Alex the Marrone is the guy willing to design an offense around him.

as far as trades go Fitz would be a good backup for the niners.

Yup. I love all the "experts" talking like this is the worst draft ever for QBs. If people knew what the hell they were actually talking about, guys like Wilson, Kaep, Dalton would be 1st rounders and guys like Ponder, Gabbert, Locker, etc. would be drafted in the 2nd or later.

And a comparison of careers:

Smith: 59.3 completion %, 14,280 yards, 6.56 ypa, 81 tds, 63 ints, 45 fumbles, 79.1 qb rating. http://espn.go.com/n...8416/alex-smith

Fitz: 59.5 completion %, 14,336 yards, 6.37 ypa, 92 tds, 81 ints, 39 fumbles, 76.8 qb rating. http://espn.go.com/n...yan-fitzpatrick

So we can give up a draft pick and spend starting QB money on Fitz Jr? I mean the way he "carried" the 49ers last year with his 17 tds while overcoming their awful #1 defense was so impressive. You guys are like married guys who lust after every average looking girl you see. Draft a guy, keep Fitz as a backup (we would all love Fitz as a backup/ mentor), and play the rookie no matter what. Bringing in Smith does nothing.

you can't compare career ratings because once Harbaugh got there Smith transformed; lets look at last years stats

Smith

CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT 2012 Regular Season

153 218 1,737 70.2 7.97 13 55 5 4 70.1 104.1

Fitz

306 505 3,400 60.6 6.73 24 68 16 8 45.8 83.3

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

In news that shocks absolutely no one

http://profootballta...re-free-agency/

From the article....

"It makes him a luxury that the team can’t afford."

Unless the 49ers are going to renegotiate with Kaepernick this off-season and give him a massive contract, I see no reason why Smith would be a luxury that they can't afford.

Smith & Kaepernick's combined salary this year will be similar to what we are paying Fitz.

If I was GM of the 49ers I'd be keeping Smith right where he is for another season to see if Kaepernick is the real deal or not.......and he is cheap insurance to have if their scrambling QB goes down during the season.

Some one needs to send some tweets to Alex the Marrone is the guy willing to design an offense around him.

as far as trades go Fitz would be a good backup for the niners.

you can't compare career ratings because once Harbaugh got there Smith transformed; lets look at last years stats

Smith

153 218 1,737 70.2 7.97 13 55 5 4 70.1 104.1

Fitz

306 505 3,400 60.6 6.73 24 68 16 8 45.8 83.3

Going on a limb here, but I think Fitz would have better #s too if he played on a team with the #1 defense, a top 3 tight end, a deep receiving core, and that is run first. Smith is a caretaker. He played well until his concussion but he isn't asked to win games. Part of the problem with the Bills is we tried to have Fitz win games. There is zero doubt in my mind that Fitz would have had the 49ers in the playoffs as well. Smith threw 17 tds in 16 games last year.

I won't hate Smith but I think it is a lateral move at best. Smith is what he is he, a servicable NFL starter. Well, I'm sick of servicable.

From the article....

"It makes him a luxury that the team can’t afford."

Unless the 49ers are going to renegotiate with Kaepernick this off-season and give him a massive contract, I see no reason why Smith would be a luxury that they can't afford.

Smith & Kaepernick's combined salary this year will be similar to what we are paying Fitz.

If I was GM of the 49ers I'd be keeping Smith right where he is for another season to see if Kaepernick is the real deal or not.......and he is cheap insurance to have if their scrambling QB goes down during the season.

$8.5MM for a backup QB seems pretty rich. I can't see them paying that price or any other team willing to part with a draft pick and paying that sum when they can get him in FA for less money. I expect he'll get his wish and be released.

They might wait a year to restructure K'nick, but it won't be any longer than that. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened this off-season, especially if they win on Sunday.

$8.5MM for a backup QB seems pretty rich. I can't see them paying that price or any other team willing to part with a draft pick and paying that sum when they can get him in FA for less money. I expect he'll get his wish and be released.

They might wait a year to restructure K'nick, but it won't be any longer than that. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened this off-season, especially if they win on Sunday.

My point was that a team will designate a certain amount of the cap to the QB position. If they don't re-sign Kaepernick they can easily justify keeping Smith for an additional year for insurance as the overall money spent will be relatively low.

Why wouldn't they just keep him?

Heh....I'm likely wrong.....and we'll know soon enough anyway. If it turns out I'm right(& am the only one suggesting that they might keep him)....shout my praises in the inevitable "Smith staying a 49er" thread. :thumbsup:

So you seem to be overlooking the fact that we have a new coach. Maybe one who could also coach the best out of Alex Smith.

Fitz is Fitz. I want something different. Even if it is the same! :w00t:

I also expect our D to be strong like we expected it to this year but wanny flamed out hard and is easy to see why. I certainly dont expect that to happen to us next year under Pettine.

Smith was terrible under every coaching staff prior to Harbaugh. Haebaugh has made every QB he has worked with look great. I say the odds favor Harbaugh just making Smith into a good QB who really isn't that good.

Smith was terrible under every coaching staff prior to Harbaugh. Haebaugh has made every QB he has worked with look great. I say the odds favor Harbaugh just making Smith into a good QB who really isn't that good.

Or you can make the flipside argument, that he was under bad coaching prior to Harbaugh.

I'd also prefer Moore or Matt Flynn. I see more upside. At the worst they are game managers, could be franchise QB's, and should be easier to get with too many teams thinking Alex Smith is a franchise QB.

I think Matt Moore could be a decent caretaker, but I have never seen a franchise QB there, not even in his best year in Carolina.

I believe under the new collective bargaining agreement, the 49ers cannot re-structure Kaepernick's contract, even if they wanted to, until the end of NEXT season.

I believe under the new collective bargaining agreement, the 49ers cannot re-structure Kaepernick's contract, even if they wanted to, until the end of NEXT season.

Interesting; thanks.

My point was that a team will designate a certain amount of the cap to the QB position. If they don't re-sign Kaepernick they can easily justify keeping Smith for an additional year for insurance as the overall money spent will be relatively low.

Why wouldn't they just keep him?

Heh....I'm likely wrong.....and we'll know soon enough anyway. If it turns out I'm right(& am the only one suggesting that they might keep him)....shout my praises in the inevitable "Smith staying a 49er" thread. :thumbsup:

I see what you mean; anything is possible. I just don't think they want to hand that kind of cash to a bench warmer or create any locker room issues over it. I'm sure the Niners have FAs they want to resign like everyone else so might reallocate those funds in a more productive way.

Interesting; thanks.

I see what you mean; anything is possible. I just don't think they want to hand that kind of cash to a bench warmer or create any locker room issues over it. I'm sure the Niners have FAs they want to resign like everyone else so might reallocate those funds in a more productive way.

You could be right about their cap funds. From what I can see they have $3.9M of room and have 2 starters hitting FA.... OG Leonard Davis & S Dashon Goldson (pro bowler).....plus a handful of backup & situational players.