#22- Mike Glennon - QB

* denotes junior

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take Ogletree at 8. Nassib in the 2nd

That would be pretty sweet

I'd have to think that the Bills FO would be on pins and needles waiting to see if Nassib would fall to them in round 2. Probably similar to waiting for Cordy Glenn last year. That worked out well, maybe we can get lucky again. Let's hope.

The best approach for the Bills to take is to rank all the qbs and then take the highest rated qb on their board. The question to be asked is in two or three years which selection they make will have the most impact for the team? Most certainly it is going to be a qb.

If the Bills believe that there are a few reasonable qb picks who will be on the board in the second round then what happens if other teams maneuver ahead of us to snatch a coveted prospect? Buddy has suggested that that is what happened last year. This is the year to get a good qb prospect on the roster, even if that prospect is not going to play right away. The odds improve in your favor that drafting a qb prospect higher than lower will work out better.

I'm not wedded to any particular player. Tyler Wilson and Glennon are interesting prospects. Barkley might be the most ready to play right away but there are questions about his arm strength. Nassib seems like a Dalton type prosect. A tough heady player who has adequate physical tools but there is nothing special about him.

Without a doubt this year's draft is going to be extremely fascinating because it is going to give us some insight as to how this new regime operates. There comes a time when a staid organization has to be bold just for the sake of being different from the same cautious mentality that has not gotten us very far.

Wow so Glennon is the 1st QB and he's all the way at 22? I can't remember a draft in the past where the QB's were ranked so low. Figures, it's the year we are drafting one too

Yes - but, remember, any draft where there's a clear cut #1 QB like Luck, or Newton before him, always has the QB going first. Unless we have that pick, or can get it - like the Redskins did - then having one elite QB in the mix means little. Actually, I think the Bills luck out that we've decided to draft a QB this year, because there is no clear cut number 1 guy, but there are 7-10 QB's in this draft, and at least half of them are going to be decent starters in the NFL, I think. It allows Buffalo to maybe get better talent with their 1st pick, and STILL get a franchise QB later. I'd like to see us draft 2 QB's, and maybe before the end of the 4th round - so that we have a little more insurance that at least one of the young guys will pan out. And, it'd make for good camp competition. Either way, this is NOT a bad year for drafting QB's.

If he's there you really can't go wrong w/ Werner. He'd solidify the front 4 w/ a potential pro-bowler at every position.

It also wouldn't upset me to take Chance Warmack or DJ Fluker. I know neither is a position of need, but having a mauler on the right side would help the run game both in short yardage situations and protecting a lead late in the game, both of which have been weaknesses. Then draft Jalston Fowler next year to complement Spiller.

Yes - but, remember, any draft where there's a clear cut #1 QB like Luck, or Newton before him, always has the QB going first. Unless we have that pick, or can get it - like the Redskins did - then having one elite QB in the mix means little. Actually, I think the Bills luck out that we've decided to draft a QB this year, because there is no clear cut number 1 guy, but there are 7-10 QB's in this draft, and at least half of them are going to be decent starters in the NFL, I think. It allows Buffalo to maybe get better talent with their 1st pick, and STILL get a franchise QB later. I'd like to see us draft 2 QB's, and maybe before the end of the 4th round - so that we have a little more insurance that at least one of the young guys will pan out. And, it'd make for good camp competition. Either way, this is NOT a bad year for drafting QB's.

truly i think the qb talent from pick 5 to 25 is as good if not better than any given year. if we stay put, or slide back a bit/trade up from our 2.... its not awful by comparison. we werent in play for a #1 luck or rg3 at any point anyway, so oh well if none are available. in that second grouping, i wont say we are that much worse off.

2012 - tannehill and wheeden

2011 - locker, gabbert, ponder

2010 - tebow

Edited by NoSaint

its a real tough spot. can you imagine being so physically gifted as to play at that level but have a condition that leaves you so vulnerable any time youre hit.

Kind of. I suffer from this & it's kept me out of sports for the last 10 years. That in itself is pretty tough. Pair that with the lost $$$ and I can only imagine the anguish.

The best approach for the Bills to take is to rank all the qbs and then take the highest rated qb on their board. The question to be asked is in two or three years which selection they make will have the most impact for the team? Most certainly it is going to be a qb.

If the Bills believe that there are a few reasonable qb picks who will be on the board in the second round then what happens if other teams maneuver ahead of us to snatch a coveted prospect? Buddy has suggested that that is what happened last year. This is the year to get a good qb prospect on the roster, even if that prospect is not going to play right away. The odds improve in your favor that drafting a qb prospect higher than lower will work out better.

I'm not wedded to any particular player. Tyler Wilson and Glennon are interesting prospects. Barkley might be the most ready to play right away but there are questions about his arm strength. Nassib seems like a Dalton type prosect. A tough heady player who has adequate physical tools but there is nothing special about him.

Without a doubt this year's draft is going to be extremely fascinating because it is going to give us some insight as to how this new regime operates. There comes a time when a staid organization has to be bold just for the sake of being different from the same cautious mentality that has not gotten us very far.

As usual, I agree with much of what you say here. I don't agree, however, that we need to take a QB with the first pick. It's early in the process, but it seems there are going to be no sure-fire top 10 picks among the QB crop. From what I have read, there will be 5 to 7 who have second round grades or better and it will be hard to pick among them. I think it's a safe bet that one of those top 5-7 will be there when we pick in round 2 and that we should simply take the best one available at that time. I think teams' hubris sometimes tells them that a particular player is the best among several similar players at the same position, and they move up to get him. History usually proves them wrong. See Poz v. David Harris, for example. The Bills did the right thing last year when they held tight and took Glenn in the second, knowing that at least one of the top tackles would be there for them. In the past, they might have identified their guy, panicked, and moved up to make sure they got him. The bottom line is that it seems there will be little to separate this year's QB crop, so it's probably best to wait and see what comes.

As usual, I agree with much of what you say here. I don't agree, however, that we need to take a QB with the first pick. It's early in the process, but it seems there are going to be no sure-fire top 10 picks among the QB crop. From what I have read, there will be 5 to 7 who have second round grades or better and it will be hard to pick among them. I think it's a safe bet that one of those top 5-7 will be there when we pick in round 2 and that we should simply take the best one available at that time. I think teams' hubris sometimes tells them that a particular player is the best among several similar players at the same position, and they move up to get him. History usually proves them wrong. See Poz v. David Harris, for example. The Bills did the right thing last year when they held tight and took Glenn in the second, knowing that at least one of the top tackles would be there for them. In the past, they might have identified their guy, panicked, and moved up to make sure they got him. The bottom line is that it seems there will be little to separate this year's QB crop, so it's probably best to wait and see what comes.

If after a thorough evaluation the organization believes that Tyler Wilson, Glennon, Barkley etc are the best qb cadidates who are capable of being a starter in this league then why wait and take the risk of losing their favored qb prospect? The mistake Buddy has made in the past is that he concentrated on player rankings rather than considering position importance. He has admitted that if you are targeting a qb you like that it is smarter to pull the trigger earlier rather than later.

Whatever other position needs the Bills have (LB, WR) can be adequately filled with the next two rounds. Also, free agency can fill some holes, especially at the LB position. But without a doubt it is going to be difficult getting a quality qb from the free agent market.

In two years what position selection is this year's draft will have the greatest impact for the team? Without question it is going to be the qb selection. If that is the case then why not guarantee that you will be in position to take the highest rated qb left on your board with your early first round selection. In this case it is smarter drafting a qb a little bit early than it is risking losing your preferred qb if you wait.

There is a lot of speculation that the Bills would consider Nassib in the second round. The other teams know that the Bills staff have had a relationship with him at Syracuse. If some other teams also find him an appealing prospect they might leap ahead of us and snatch him from our grasp. It's happened before, and it could happen again. By no means am I suggesting taking Nassib with our early first round pick because his talent level doesn't warrant taking him at that point. But if there is a qb on the board who has a first round grade and that the Bills like then it behooves them to make the selection.

Edited by JohnC

Don't be surprised if Nassib is available in the 2nd round. It seems like the Bills are the only team that holds him that high. DE or LB in the first round is the right pick. Need to stop the run first before we can think offense.

Imagine the Jets taking him right before our pick in Rd. 2...

BA