Mel Kiper's updated Big Board 1/9/13

papazoid

I haven't studied any of the players yet so I don't have any formed opinions of any of the draft class. Only first impressions.

However if there's a guy who's an excellent pass rusher, I think the Bills will go in that direction.

My early guess is that they'll trade back into the first round to get their quarterback.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In listening to Buddy in an interview, he brought up possibly adding a QB via Free Agency without even being asked. That tells me we will go and get a QB to play right away via free agency and then draft one in RD2. Just because Buddy says we are going to draft a QB doesn't mean he is going to change his draft philosophy of 30+ years.

In listening to Buddy in an interview, he brought up possibly adding a QB via Free Agency without even being asked. That tells me we will go and get a QB to play right away via free agency and then draft one in RD2. Just because Buddy says we are going to draft a QB doesn't mean he is going to change his draft philosophy of 30+ years.

What philosophy is that? Draft round 2 qbs?

Edited by NoSaint

Not reach on a QB - especially in the first round.

Yeah really this class is looking pretty "meh", mirror opposite of last year. I hope this franchise doesn't overcompensate for its failure to draft a QB over last few years with a costly reach this year. Last thing we need is another dud we feel obligated to play.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Sorry, left that point out. Yeah I meant reaching for a QB at #8 when there isn't one graded out that high. I just don't see him straying too far from his overall philosophy of drafting the best player available. JMO. Could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last.

First of all, Ryan Nassib is JUNK.

Secondly, Glennon, while a better project than Nassib, is still a project, and therefore also JUNK.

Thirdly, Did anybody see how Barrett Jones man-handled that 6'6" 350lb nose guard? And then STILL had the strength to shove his own QB 15 yards! -Kid is a BEAST. Trade down... Do what yo gotta do... Draft Barrett Jones.

Edited by #34fan

The best approach for the Bills to take is to rank all the qbs and then take the highest rated qb on their board. The question to be asked is in two or three years which selection they make will have the most impact for the team? Most certainly it is going to be a qb.

If the Bills believe that there are a few reasonable qb picks who will be on the board in the second round then what happens if other teams maneuver ahead of us to snatch a coveted prospect? Buddy has suggested that that is what happened last year. This is the year to get a good qb prospect on the roster, even if that prospect is not going to play right away. The odds improve in your favor that drafting a qb prospect higher than lower will work out better.

I'm not wedded to any particular player. Tyler Wilson and Glennon are interesting prospects. Barkley might be the most ready to play right away but there are questions about his arm strength. Nassib seems like a Dalton type prosect. A tough heady player who has adequate physical tools but there is nothing special about him.

Without a doubt this year's draft is going to be extremely fascinating because it is going to give us some insight as to how this new regime operates. There comes a time when a staid organization has to be bold just for the sake of being different from the same cautious mentality that has not gotten us very far.

let me do you one better: that's what we should do with our first 2 picks.

let me do you, and i, 2 better: thats what we should do with our first 3 picks.

draft geno #1. move back into the first, take barkley #2. take nassib in the second.

cut fitz, thigpen, let jackson walk.

open training camp with a competition between all 3.

I have Severe Lumbar Spinal Stenosis with two Herniated Discs T5 & T8, When It first effected me, I couldn't walk, my kidney almost shut down & I could have die without medical care

my left calf was pinched for months, it felt like a vice grip was on my calf, squeezing tighter & tighter 24/7, it took me over two years to walk right again &I still have pain everyday I take 13 pills a day to keep me on my feet, I am lucky, some people never get back on their feet

I wish Jarvis Jones the best, I hope it never get worse for him, maybe he should consider not playing football anymore

Just like buying cars, if you allow yourself to "fall in love" with a particular one, it clouds your mind and you have a good chance of getting burned. There is no real sure thing 1st round QB talent in the draft, don't fool yourself and convince yourself there is. The talent is all 2nd round at best this year. Rank your QB's and pick the best available in the 2nd round, someone will be there. As Astro listed, a lot of talent in the mid 1st. If you get a chance to trade down with someone in that range, for their 1st and a 2nd, then do it, Pick the BPA for your other positions of need, where there actually is legitimate 1st round talent available. Pick another developmental QB in the later rounds as well.

I would happily take the following at #8.

#1- Jarvis Jones * - OLB

#2- Damontre Moore * - DE

#4- Star Lotulelei - DT

#5- Chance Warmack - G

#6- Manti Te'o - LB

#8- Barkevious Mingo * - DE

#10- Dee Milliner * - CB

In the bowl games I watched, Moore looked ordinary. Warmack was dominant (over Te'o). And Millner. He's a Bill, right?

I'd love to see a live cam of Bill from NYC if that were to happen.

If you think that Bill was a zealot after the drafting of Spiller then wait and see how he would react to a drafting of a CB in the first or second round. It would be worse than a crusade; it would be a jihad! :sick:

Wow so Glennon is the 1st QB and he's all the way at 22? I can't remember a draft in the past where the QB's were ranked so low. Figures, it's the year we are drafting one too

How true ... AND in 2014, the QB prospects look strong according to guys on Sirius XM NFL channel.

Not good timing for Bills, seemingly. They'll need to get creative or get lucky.

It's amazing how much stock people put into a guy's rankings who just went to community college and was never involved in football at any level. They're interesting to look at but if someone uses Kiper or McShay's rankings as gospel, they are insane.

You have to give Kiper 1 thing, other than Joel Buchsbaum, he was the only guy doing this draft stuff 25 years ago. Part of us talking about it is because guys like him put it out there for discussion.

Tyler Wilson looks strong to me. Arm strength unquestionable. Tough and confident to hang in there and make plays. Runs up tempo offense, can throw under pressure, which is essential in NFL. If he's there at 8 I take him, if not te'o. If geno goes #1 Tyler just may be there, its not a given picks 2-7 take a QB.

i think it's important to note that this is NOT a mock. Kiper is telling you who he thinks the best players are regardless of a team's needs.

Kiper's mock would probably look much different, with 1 or 2 QB's sprinkled in the top 10.

my wishlist at #8 would be Bjoern Werner, Jarvis Jones, Mingo, or Geno.

You have to give Kiper 1 thing, other than Joel Buchsbaum, he was the only guy doing this draft stuff 25 years ago. Part of us talking about it is because guys like him put it out there for discussion.

Agree 100%. I respect him as a business man and he's made alot of money doing it. But the guy is hardly a NFL insider. He has a ton of misses. He just doesn't have to take accountability for them. If a guy in a NFL FO misses too much, they lose their job.

let me do you one better: that's what we should do with our first 2 picks.

let me do you, and i, 2 better: thats what we should do with our first 3 picks.

draft geno #1. move back into the first, take barkley #2. take nassib in the second.

cut fitz, thigpen, let jackson walk.

open training camp with a competition between all 3.

Thigpen and Jackson are free agents. Fitz is the only QB on the team at this point.

It's amazing how much stock people put into a guy's rankings who just went to community college and was never involved in football at any level. They're interesting to look at but if someone uses Kiper or McShay's rankings as gospel, they are insane.

OTOH, one of the most brilliant people I've ever met never went to college, community or otherwise. :)

Thigpen and Jackson are free agents. Fitz is the only QB on the team at this point.

OTOH, one of the most brilliant people I've ever met never went to college, community or otherwise. :)

IMO, there is zero reason not to draft 2 QBs. You should always have a development QB on your roster.

Well we will certainly be looking at some good linebackers and offensive linemen in the first round, and I would think we'd get the best linebacker available. Quarterback in the second sounds like a plan and we should get one of the "top" qbs of a fairly disappointing class if we go that route. I'm wondering whether we ought to look at some top flight receiver or CB at 2 and see if we can pick up some qb to tread water this year until next year when some interesting qb prospects will be available.

Agree 100%. I respect him as a business man and he's made alot of money doing it. But the guy is hardly a NFL insider. He has a ton of misses. He just doesn't have to take accountability for them. If a guy in a NFL FO misses too much, they lose their job.

What a job....

Don't be surprised if Nassib is available in the 2nd round. It seems like the Bills are the only team that holds him that high. DE or LB in the first round is the right pick. Need to stop the run first before we can think offense.

Not necessarily. The player you don't hear teams talking about or talking about negatively are often times the player they want. And we're getting ahead of ourselves anyway. By the time the combine and pro day workouts are done many of these QB's will move up the draft board. My prediction is the Bills will grab a LB/DE at pick 8 then trade back into the bottom of the first round and grab their QB.

Edited by purple haze