Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone watch Around The Horn on ESPN? AJ Adande on why Chip Kelly chose to stay in Oregon: he didn't want to coach three crappy teams.

PTR

Hahahahaha, and I'm sure they all yukked it up. Morons. Who the hell is AJ Adande anyway?

Anyone watch Around The Horn on ESPN? AJ Adande on why Chip Kelly chose to stay in Oregon: he didn't want to coach three crappy teams.

PTR

So they fail at understanding that any team looking for a coach is going to have issues. That is some brilliant insight.

They dont care. They are just hedging their bets so that if he doesnt work out, they can point out that they "knew it all along". It's the cheapest way to be a fan. That whole "I hope they prove me wrong, but..." BS.

If the team wins, they get to enjoy it. And if the team loses, they get... message board cred?

Sad.

Ok, if you're going to make me chose. It will not work as long as RB is in charge. The Bills will not make the playoffs next year or the year after (at least). I will be miserable.

Does that work for you?

John,

Today, I'm experiencing a dream come true. The opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL and to be part of an outstanding organization like the Buffalo Bills is certainly an honor.

I'm looking forward to working with the people in this organization, but I am especially excited to work with the players. I was a player in the NFL and I was a coach in the League for seven years. I know the importance of building trust and my first order of business is to begin building that trust with this team.

Obviously, there is a lot of work to be done. As I begin to assemble my coaching staff, I will be looking for hard-working, experienced coaches that are excited to be part of the Buffalo Bills tradition.

As a coach, I certainly understand the importance of team, and for me that extends beyond the players, staff and coaches. When you have a fan base that is passionate about their team, they provide a unique energy that everyone can feel. Having had the opportunity to coach just down the Thruway at Syracuse, I know the support that exists for the Buffalo Bills. That passion is part of the reason I was so excited to take this opportunity.

One of the things Russ Brandon and I discussed during my interview was the passion and loyalty of Bills season ticket holders. We want to make you proud to be a fan of the Buffalo Bills again and we will work tirelessly until that job is complete.

This season, I look forward to experiencing the great atmosphere you provide at Ralph Wilson Stadium and I can't wait to celebrate a Championship together soon.

Go Bills!

Marrone-Doug-Signature.jpg

Doug Marrone

Head Coach

Nice intro to the fan base!!

Thanks for sharing!

Go Bills!

Ok, if you're going to make me chose. It will not work as long as RB is in charge. The Bills will not make the playoffs next year or the year after (at least). I will be miserable.

Does that work for you?

So who should be in charge? Keep in mind, that if it isn't Russ Brandon calling the shots, someone in the Bills organization has to choose 'somone'. So if not Russ, I assume you want Ralph back at the wheel? Well, maybe not Ralph then you want Littman or Overdorf? It has to be one of them.

You can't magically get someone from outside the organization without someone within hiring them.

I haven't checked in for a while and as I watch Notre Dame get pounded in the first half, I realize that any return of the Bills to glory will have to wait another 5 years. At least next year they will get the Number 1 pick and hopefully can draft a QB. Moroon is going to be a hard pill for Bills faithful to swallow evident by the quick perouse of the 67 pages about this of this mess. I am soooo sorry for the Bills team who I think are just a few linebackers and cover guys away from being a lot better. But WTF this isn't even my childhood Bills team with OJ who at least was entertaining. :blush::censored: :censored: :cry:

I haven't checked in for a while and as I watch Notre Dame get pounded in the first half, I realize that any return of the Bills to glory will have to wait another 5 years. At least next year they will get the Number 1 pick and hopefully can draft a QB. Moroon is going to be a hard pill for Bills faithful to swallow evident by the quick perouse of the 67 pages about this of this mess. I am soooo sorry for the Bills team who I think are just a few linebackers and cover guys away from being a lot better. But WTF this isn't even my childhood Bills team with OJ who at least was entertaining. :blush::censored: :censored: :cry:

No, this will be a hard pill to swallow if they end up being terrible with Marrone at the helm. I don't know what the opinion of keyboard heroes has to do with it. If they win the opener next year people will be on here celebrating the beginning of the Marrone era.

I am going into this with an open mind. I think it is funny that all season I read threads here about how Chan was behind the curve. He gets fired and nobody on TBD wants a retread. Buffalo hires a coach who, by all accounts, is an innovator. Now everybody is PO'ed about not hiring a retread.

C'est la vie.

No, this will be a hard pill to swallow if they end up being terrible with Marrone at the helm. I don't know what the opinion of keyboard heroes has to do with it. If they win the opener next year people will be on here celebrating the beginning of the Marrone era.

I am going into this with an open mind. I think it is funny that all season I read threads here about how Chan was behind the curve. He gets fired and nobody on TBD wants a retread. Buffalo hires a coach who, by all accounts, is an innovator. Now everybody is PO'ed about not hiring a retread.

C'est la vie.

It is the other 50% of the folks on the board. To be fair, some wanted retreads (a safer bet) and some wanted the Bills to try something different besides retreads. The Bills went with the 2nd option. There is nothing wrong with the first camp bitching about the selection. If the Bills had hired a retread like Wisenhunt, the other 50% would have been disappointed and blamed the Bills for taking an undue risk. At the end of the day, if Marrone works out, everyone will be happy for the Bills as we are all Bills fans at the end.

It is the other 50% of the folks on the board. To be fair, some wanted retreads (a safer bet) and some wanted the Bills to try something different besides retreads. The Bills went with the 2nd option. There is nothing wrong with the first camp bitching about the selection. If the Bills had hired a retread like Wisenhunt, the other 50% would have been disappointed and blamed the Bills for taking an undue risk. At the end of the day, if Marrone works out, everyone will be happy for the Bills as we are all Bills fans at the end.

I think a large part of the 'complaining' 50% would have been the same no matter what

True...the sad part is, it seems as though many don't want to be pleased.

True. And some are pleased always no matter what. It takes all kinds.

But remember when Gailey was hired 3 short years ago ... "Mega-mind offense", "Jerrahs biggest mistake", endorsed by the Chin, blah blah blah.

Guarded optimism would seem to be prudent in this case in my opinion.

Edited by CodeMonkey

And then, some people want people other than Brandon, Overdorf, Littman and Buddy running the team. If Whaley was that good, he'd officially be the GM . I'd love to be pleased and Marrone may be a good hire, but unless he gains a lot of power, this team will struggle to be relevant. I think the organization is rotten at the top. That's my opinion. Counts as much as yours. Don't care if I'm right or not.

And then, some people want people other than Brandon, Overdorf, Littman and Buddy running the team. If Whaley was that good, he'd officially be the GM . I'd love to be pleased and Marrone may be a good hire, but unless he gains a lot of power, this team will struggle to be relevant. I think the organization is rotten at the top. That's my opinion. Counts as much as yours. Don't care if I'm right or not.

The simple concept that one of those people *HAS* to be in charge eludes another. Someone *IN* the organization has to hire anyone from outside.

But remember when Gailey was hired 3 short years ago ... "Mega-mind offense", "Jerrahs biggest mistake", endorsed by the Chin, blah blah blah.

It's not that some people are always pleased. It's more like some don't treat it like it's life or death. The rational reaction is hope for success, not look for failure, especially at the very beginning.

PTR

Guarded or unabashed, either is reasonable for a fan. It's the "this is a horrible hire, can't wait for the next coaching search in three years, nobody wanted this clown, blah, blah, blah" crowd I'm referencing. I don't even see the point.

The simple concept that one of those people *HAS* to be in charge eludes another. Someone *IN* the organization has to hire anyone from outside.

I'm not very smart. The only *IN* possible passed the torch to a 16 year veteran of this bafoonery. But this time, it's fresh and aggressive. I am convinced, more than ever, that nothing is going to change until ownership does. But again, I know I don't "get it".

I'm not very smart. The only *IN* possible passed the torch to a 16 year veteran of this bafoonery. But this time, it's fresh and aggressive. I am convinced, more than ever, that nothing is going to change until ownership does. But again, I know I don't "get it".

Apparently not.

If you fired everyone in the Bills organization then Ralph makes the decision on who to hire.

You can't please all of the people...

This^

True...the sad part is, it seems as though many don't want to be pleased.

And this^

Definately this^

It's not that some people are always pleased. It's more like some don't treat it like it's life or death. The rational reaction is hope for success, not look for failure, especially at the very beginning.

PTR

+1

Guarded or unabashed, either is reasonable for a fan. It's the "this is a horrible hire, can't wait for the next coaching search in three years, nobody wanted this clown, blah, blah, blah" crowd I'm referencing. I don't even see the point.

+1,000,000

Why? Or what?

Why? Or what?

1) Bills fans have been burned a great deal by blind optimism. Remember "Yes we Chan!".

2) Gailey also had everyone singing his praises when he was hired. Cowher and Jerrah to name two. No one of consequence will speak bad of a coaching hire as it could come back to haunt them.

3) Marrone was 25-25 at SU. I know there can be more to it than record, but to date he is .500 for his lifetime as a head coach.

I choose to think he is a good hire and will probably make a good HC. But my optimism is kept in check by the facts above,

Of all the things I know and have seen or read about Marrone this article has to be my favorite:

Doug Marrone's impact resonated with All-Pro center Kevin Mawae

favorite part:

"He did a great job of teaching concepts," Mawae said. "As a young player, a lot of times you worry just about your assignment and who's in front of you. But Doug taught us concepts of, 'We're doing this slide protection because it's going to complement the running game in this way. We're going to run this protection and show this kind of front so we can get the defensive backfield to react certain ways.'

"And he would be able to teach it to you in a way where you understood it, where it wasn't complicated physics.

"He coached tight ends and he knows the passing game. When we would talk X's and O's about pass-protection schemes, he would be able to teach you about coverages, Cover 2, rolling coverages, what to expect. He opened the game up for a lot of the guys on the offensive line beyond the [line of scrimmage]."

1) Bills fans have been burned a great deal by blind optimism. Remember "Yes we Chan!".

2) Gailey also had everyone singing his praises when he was hired. Cowher and Jerrah to name two. No one of consequence will speak bad of a coaching hire as it could come back to haunt them.

3) Marrone was 25-25 at SU. I know there can be more to it than record, but to date he is .500 for his lifetime as a head coach.

I choose to think he is a good hire and will probably make a good HC. But my optimism is kept in check by the facts above,

Good points, I couldn't argue with a single one of them if I had wanted to.

When a new coach is hired, I try to find the positives - I look for the reasons OBD thought "This guy'll work."

Maybe it's because I can't control their decisions, but I don't get too wrapped up in it. They bring a guy in, and even if he wasn't my first choice (like Marrone), I try to read/hear/learn enough about the guy to get behind him. I did a fair amount of reading on Marrone and what he brings to the table, I liked what I read. The clincher for me was the presser. To me, he sounded like the type of guy Buffalo needs and I'm genuinely looking forward to see what this coming season hold for our team.

All that said, I'm a 44 year old Bills fan. I've been through many more lows than highs; my optimism is always guarded, I understand where you're coming from.

Edited by Campy