Per CBSSports, Bills coaching candidate names emerging...

Big Turk

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No question Promo, but...how involved were they (Whiz and Grimm) in bringing in Kolb? I don't know and I'm sure that their public statements will all be very positive on the trade. I see too much of what this franchise has been through. Definite case of the heebie jeebies.

The word is that Whiz had is hand in way too many of the personnel decisions and that's what did him in. So I would assume that he had a lot to do with bringing in Kolb. I just don't see Whiz as an upgrade.

Devils advocate though, the thought seems to be that Whiz wouldn't have any hand (or as much) in personnel decisions here with Whaley/Nix handling that, and that if he focused on coaching he would be much better. Not sure if I agree, but, it's something to think about.

I like Lovie Smith. 3 losing seasons out of 9, I'd think that's a welcome change over 12 in 13.

Do we get to bring the Bears defensive personnel with him? I think that had something to do with Lovie's success. Had solid, if unspectacular QB play as well.

so actually, Chan was better than him . . . and i would say that Arizona had more talent on their roster than the BIlls have had the past three years

Huh?

Chan was 16-32

Other than on this board, where is 18-30 worse than 16-32?

I'm not excited about any of those names other than Lovie Smith.

id be ok with Smith for sure. I'd also like Wizz, Horton and Grimm but not in thier regular order. How bout a Horton HC with Wiz and Grimm as cords? Something like that.

I think those are a courtesy because of Whaley's ties to them.

I'm really starting to feel a package deal coming on here.

A "the band's getting back together" deal.

howard@hsimon62

on with @RapSheet:said whisenhunt likes how Brandon thinks and feels he can be on same page with whaley.

howard@hsimon62

said whisenhunt considered good coach when it comes to x's and o's. he was too involved in personnel decisions w/cards. should just be coach

howard@hsimon62

he also said he's been talking to scouts and personnel people around league about Whaley last couple days and hearing good things

I'm ASTOUNDED that no one's commented on this yet.

Why are these quotes attributed to Whisenhunt talking about Whaley?

What does this tell us about the Bills GM situation?

I saw Kolb play under Andy Reid in Philadelphia. He was amazing average over 300 years per game. I also rememver AJ Feeley playing great ball under Coach Reid. Donavan McNabb played great under Reid. Maybe Reid should be our guy. If not Reid, I like Smith the best.

Yes. Reid is one of the great QB gurus of all time.

I would really like to see Ray Horton get a chance. He strikes me as a good leader who likes to play solid, physical football. He's a guy that both (a) has put his time in as a position coach, and (b) is still young enough to be fiery and relate to young players.

http://www.azcardina...12-b7afe9196aaa

I also am in favor of hiring a coach who is a good leader as opposed to a good X's and O's guy, since this off-season in particular there will be a great many quality coordinators available. Guys like Norv Turner, Pat Shurmer, Romeo Crennel, Whisenhunt, etc., who may not get a head-coaching job, will be looking for work.

I like your point about a great leader vs an Xs and Os guy. I guess with all of these coaching candidates, a lot of it comes down to who they bring with them.

so actually, Chan was better than him . . . and i would say that Arizona had more talent on their roster than the BIlls have had the past three years

Peterson, Campbell, Rhodes, Washington, etc. The Cards have more defensive talent than the Bills IMO. Offensively the Bills are more talented.

If Whisenhunt brings Grimm and Horton with him as coordinators then I can see that being a good package deal. I see a lot of guys saying Lovie but who would his OC be? That would be the biggest piece of the puzzle missing there. Instead of just looking at a HC we have to look at the whole package

Yep.

Why is everyone so high on Kelly, a very good college coach that by all accounts on your NFL networks, ESPNs, is probably best off right where he is-as a college coach. There are plenty of great college coaches that do not successfully make the transition. For every jim Harbaugh.... Lovie Smith should be given consideration, but of these names, he also had the best (though not great) QB for the longest period of time. Warner had a nice comeback year in AZ, but had been tailing off before that. I actually like Whisenhunt, as he was an up and coming assistant with an organization that the Bills should seek to emulate, the Steelers. Apparently the Bills have asked Whiz if he could work with Alex Smith, FWIW. Anyway, my list would be

Horton

Jim Haslett

Whisenhunt

Smith

You were doing so well until "Haslett."

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I could live with Whisenhunt, it is all about the QB. When they had Warner he was successful. When they had garbage playing that spot they weren't. Pretty simple. Find a QB you love in the draft, or go trade for A QB on the trading block that you believe in & go get him. I don't care if you have to give their whole draft up, go get the QB. I know some people are not very high on MUrray but I have said this from the start of the season, I love everything about the kid. He will be there at 8 & could possibly be had later in the first round by trading back in. I would have no problem picking him at 8 though.

-Whisenhunt

-Horton

-Grimm

-Chip Kelly

-Hue Jackson

-Doug Marrone

-Lovie Smith

-Mike McCoy

Bills apparently already interviewed Whisenhunt and Horton yesterday and are interviewing Grimm today.

http://www.cbssports...coaching-search

Whisenhunt - no

Horton -yes

Grimm -no

Kelly -yes

Hue - eh

Marrone - eh

Lovie - yes

McCoy - yes

id be ok with Smith for sure. I'd also like Wizz, Horton and Grimm but not in thier regular order. How bout a Horton HC with Wiz and Grimm as cords? Something like that.

I was thinking that too.

I wonder if some of the talks were abstracted in that way.

"How would you feel about… "

I'm ASTOUNDED that no one's commented on this yet.

Why are these quotes attributed to Whisenhunt talking about Whaley?

What does this tell us about the Bills GM situation?

lots.... but i was avoiding the madness that is trying to discuss our front office. everyones convinced they know the setup, regardless of what may come out publicly.

its a good little mental note to keep though.

I agree. Arizona offensive game plan succeeded in some thing no opposing defenses could do..stopping Larry Fitzgerald.

KW actually gave the starting nod to Lienart over Warner to start the season of the SB run. After the the SB they have done nothing since. I know they lost a lot of talent but they have not been very successful rebuilding.

Yeah, that's what happens when you have a top ten draft pick that is making tens of millions of dollars on his contract...you play him. No different than any other team in the league would have done. I doubt Bil Bidwell would have been very happy to be paying Leinert to ride the pine for 4 years and then lose him in free agency, never having seen what he could do in real games.

Edited by matter2003

Only way Whiz takes a co-ordinator job under one of his former co-ordinators is if he has no other options as a HC. Doubt he takes a step down to work under one of his former guys.

I think that after the Bills comments yesterday, if they leave Arizona without a Coach, then these guys are out. They said yesterday a few times that when they find the guy they want, they will get him. They aren't going to keep looking to see if they can get someone better. If Whiz is their guy (or Horton), he gets a contract offer before they leave Arizona and interview someone else.

I was thinking that too.

I wonder if some of the talks were abstracted in that way.

"How would you feel about… "

would you be alright with that group of coaches in different roles? I think I can be convinced for sure.

Only way Whiz takes a co-ordinator job under one of his former co-ordinators is if he has no other options as a HC. Doubt he takes a step down to work under one of his former guys.

I think that after the Bills comments yesterday, if they leave Arizona without a Coach, then these guys are out. They said yesterday a few times that when they find the guy they want, they will get him. They aren't going to keep looking to see if they can get someone better. If Whiz is their guy (or Horton), he gets a contract offer before they leave Arizona and interview someone else.

Considering they have a bunch of guys on their list to interview, it's safe to say that they'll be leaving Arizona without hiring anyone.

Considering they have a bunch of guys on their list to interview, it's safe to say that they'll be leaving Arizona without hiring anyone.

Yes. RB said "an exhaustive search" will take place. They will "strike quickly" when they've got their guy. But agreed, they will interview several others before deciding. I'd say Whiz, Horton, or Smith gets the job with one of the college guys a potential dark horse.

The word is that Whiz had is hand in way too many of the personnel decisions and that's what did him in. So I would assume that he had a lot to do with bringing in Kolb. I just don't see Whiz as an upgrade.

Devils advocate though, the thought seems to be that Whiz wouldn't have any hand (or as much) in personnel decisions here with Whaley/Nix handling that, and that if he focused on coaching he would be much better. Not sure if I agree, but, it's something to think about.

We sure wouldn't have to suffer anymore of a sense of no "fire" on the sidelines. He damned-near murdered that FB on national TV this fall when he got a stupid penalty against the Bills along the sideline.

I wouldn't call Rex Grossman a solid QB

I certainly wouldn't call him great. He was solid, though unspectacular that year they made the SB. They were much better with him than the backup, and he returned from injury in the playoffs. Solid is not pro bowl caliber, just better than say, a Fitzpatrick type.

What comes to my mind when I hear these two things: The Bills have a list, AND, the Bills say they'll offer a contract to the first guy that appeals to them - IF I were looking to fill a position and really believed I'd offer the first guy a job that I liked, I would be certain to interview the BEST options FIRST! Doing anything else only suggests ONE thing - they don't know who they want, or who fits a mold they would like! That scares me! Why? Because, if I'm interviewing for a job, I would go almost 100% on JOB PERFORMANCE, NOT on how well someone interviews! I mean, if they can't look at WHAT guys have done with their teams, and decide who they'd like to have doing that same stuff with them, and instead are just throwing names out to fill up a list, that sounds really lost to me. They've got to have a few guys who they really want - and, there can only be 2 factors in that, the money they'd demand, or how good a coach they are.

Tell me, if you were looking to fill a coaching position in the NFL, wouldn't you immediately look to interview Cowher, Gruden, some of the best Coordinators, and then a few top College H.C.'s - only THE BEST.

I don't know exactly what they're thinking at OBD, but I will be able to tell you if the coach they do hire is "one of the best available", or if it's just more of the same around here.

The Bills have a list, AND, the Bills say they'll offer a contract to the first guy that appeals . They've got to have a few guys who they really want - and, there can only be 2 factors in that, the money they'd demand, or how good a coach they are.

Tell me, if you were looking to fill a coaching position in the NFL, wouldn't you immediately look to interview Cowher, Gruden, some of the best Coordinators, and then a few top College H.C.'s - only THE BEST.

I don't know exactly what they're thinking at OBD, but I will be able to tell you if the coach they do hire is "one of the best available", or if it's just more of the same around here.

You forgot the OTHER factor: That who they'd really want (ie Gruden, Cowher) would never take the job. Let's be realistic, the rock star HC's are NOT coming to Buffalo. Like it or not, one of the criteria has to be that the individual would take the job. Why spin your wheels. This isn't Dallas, NYC or even San Diego for that matter.

would you be alright with that group of coaches in different roles? I think I can be convinced for sure.

Absolutely. However Whisenhunt wouldn't accept an assistant position unless there were no offers for him as a head coach.

BTW, congratulations on your over/under "victory" in the other thread.

Seems like you're advocating going after only big-name guys.

I understand that position.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Why do we have to continue hiring coaches due to "personal connections"? We've done this before and it doesn't work out. Other teams have tried this approach too and usually fail. The Old Boys Club approach to hiring coaches doesn't work. It's a sign of a GM wanting job security over the best man for the job.

The two on that list that make me the most unhappy are Whisenhunt and Grimm. Was AZ's offense something to emulate? Were they involved in the decision to hand the reins to Kolb? Were they involved in the decision to not have a decent backup QB?

Too much sounds too familiar.

I'll go out on a limb and say there is 0.00% chance that Russ Grimm gets The Bills job...Or any other HC job in the NFL for that matter...Probably ever...0.00...And if it sounds too familiar remember you have the same GM as we did last time recommending this HC...Ultimately it will be Brandon's decision this time around...But still... B-)

Absolutely. However Whisenhunt wouldn't accept an assistant position unless there were no offers for him as a head coach.

BTW, congratulations on your over/under "victory" in the other thread.

Seems like you're advocating going after only big-name guys.

I understand that position.

*Takes a bow* Thank you, Thank you. After all the experience I have in my posts being closed I'm starting to get good at this. Lol.

As far as the Wiz taking a Cord job. I'm not so sure. If Russ is serious in not holding back and willing to pay whatever is needed to field a winner, then he might just pay Wiz the same as a HC would command for a Cord position.

Just a thought. I personally don't think Russ and Co are going to hold anything back. I think the will be all in on this hiring as they are desperate.

Ask yourselves this question:

Which coach gives us the best chance to WIN THE SUPERBOWL THIS YEAR?

Because if you're just trying to improve on Gailey, or upgrade to maybe make the playoffs, then you are okay with mediocrity.

Give me Horton first, Kelly second, Reid third. I want someone not intimidated by Belichick. I want someone to kick down the door. I want someone with a killer instinct (which rules out Lovie).

We may not win the superbowl this year. But we damn sure better be trying to. Genuinely believing its possible (see: Pete Carroll with the Seahags; Shanahan; and the Colts).

And by the way, if we dont take a qb with our first pick, then forget about the superbowl. Was Russell Wilson or Roethlisberger or Cutler or Kapernick projected as a top 8 pick? No. But you MUST get one, so you MUST try.

Edited by maddenboy