Per CBSSports, Bills coaching candidate names emerging...

Big Turk

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wisenhunt's coaching career was impressive up until the last threes years. It just stops. But before that he launched the steelers of this decade and took another team to a Super Bowl. So as much as he's failed recently, I'm not totally opposed; however I'd much rather have Lovie or Kelly.

howard@hsimon62

on with @RapSheet:said whisenhunt likes how Brandon thinks and feels he can be on same page with whaley.

howard@hsimon62

said whisenhunt considered good coach when it comes to x's and o's. he was too involved in personnel decisions w/cards. should just be coach

howard@hsimon62

he also said he's been talking to scouts and personnel people around league about Whaley last couple days and hearing good things

The more I read, the more I like Whisenhunt. He's offensive minded, which is what every team looks for now. He may be able to bring Ray Horton with him to coach the Bills underachieving defense. He took the Cards to the SuperBowl after turning the franchise around. He was successful as an OC winning the SB with Pittsburgh.

I think recent rosters in Arizona limited his ability to succeed. They had no real QB for 2 seasons but wasn't settling for anyone's poor play. So, he tried everything, which is something Gailey refused to do when Fitz faltered. They had no running back and they had no offensive line. Larry FitzG was the only good thing on the whole offense there. Buffalo has a much better running back and line situation and Whisenhunt previously coached a very successful run-based offense for Pittsburgh. That style would work well with a rookie or "game manager" type QB that the Bills are likely to have in the coming year or two.

You obviously didn't see Kolb play!

I saw Kolb play under Andy Reid in Philadelphia. He was amazing averaging over 300 years per game. I also remember AJ Feeley playing great ball under Coach Reid. Donavan McNabb played great under Reid. Maybe Reid should be our guy. If not Reid, I like Smith the best.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

Wisenhunt's coaching career was impressive up until the last threes years. It just stops. But before that he launched the steelers of this decade and took another team to a Super Bowl. So as much as he's failed recently, I'm not totally opposed; however I'd much rather have Lovie or Kelly.

if you chalk kolb up as one bad mistake in an otherwise good career, its easier to swallow.

im not so sure thats a fair assessment, but thats what ill be telling myself if hes hired.

The two on that list that make me the most unhappy are Whisenhunt and Grimm. Was AZ's offense something to emulate? Were they involved in the decision to hand the reins to Kolb? Were they involved in the decision to not have a decent backup QB?

Too much sounds too familiar.

I agree. Arizona offensive game plan succeeded in some thing no opposing defenses could do..stopping Larry Fitzgerald.

KW actually gave the starting nod to Lienart over Warner to start the season of the SB run. After the the SB they have done nothing since. I know they lost a lot of talent but they have not been very successful rebuilding.

I agree. Arizona offensive game plan succeeded in some thing no opposing defenses could do..stopping Larry Fitzgerald.

KW actually gave the starting nod to Lienart over Warner to start the season of the SB run. After the the SB they have done nothing since. I know they lost a lot of talent but they have not been very successful rebuilding.

with the other year with warner they did beat green bay in the playoffs before losing to the saints in the game warner was injured in.

I would really like to see Ray Horton get a chance. He strikes me as a good leader who likes to play solid, physical football. He's a guy that both (a) has put his time in as a position coach, and (b) is still young enough to be fiery and relate to young players.

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/ray-horton/698a48bf-932c-4177-aa12-b7afe9196aaa

I also am in favor of hiring a coach who is a good leader as opposed to a good X's and O's guy, since this off-season in particular there will be a great many quality coordinators available. Guys like Norv Turner, Pat Shurmer, Romeo Crennel, Whisenhunt, etc., who may not get a head-coaching job, will be looking for work.

See his record with Kurt Warner. QB makes the coach apparently.

PTR

No question Promo, but...how involved were they (Whiz and Grimm) in bringing in Kolb? I don't know and I'm sure that their public statements will all be very positive on the trade. I see too much of what this franchise has been through. Definite case of the heebie jeebies.

with the other year with warner they did beat green bay in the playoffs before losing to the saints in the game warner was injured in.

Good point. I believe this was one of the bounty games.

KW has proven he can win with a good QB but hasn't figure out how to be respectable without one. What was Belichick record before Brady?

I still don't get a good feeling here. I get a better feeling with Smith or Reid two good coaches that have posted good records, they have worn out their welcome over time. I think they are hungry.

I still marvel over the fact that Lovie got the Bears to the SB with Rex Grossman. Being in the DC area and seeing Rex play on a weekly basis made me really respect the job Lovie has done.

Edited by VADC Bills

MIke Mccoy of the Broncos should be the guy. What happens when you have a weak qb? Run the ball until you have the best run offense in the league.

That's a good point and can also be used for a rookie QB but how much of an influence did he have on that Broncos defense? They put that team to win a lot of their games in the 4th quarter

Of this list this is how I'd rank 'em:

-Chip Kelly

-Lovie Smith

-Mike McCoy

-Horton

-Grimm/Hue Jackson

-Doug Marrone

-Whisenhunt

I would hope there are other candidates such as the OC/DC from Cinci., and others, but Whisenhunt would be the worst.

I'd rather go with the coach that made good things happen with a crappy QB. Lovie for Coach.

Edited by JTO

If Whisenhunt brings Grimm and Horton with him as coordinators then I can see that being a good package deal. I see a lot of guys saying Lovie but who would his OC be? That would be the biggest piece of the puzzle missing there. Instead of just looking at a HC we have to look at the whole package

Why is everyone so high on Kelly, a very good college coach that by all accounts on your NFL networks, ESPNs, is probably best off right where he is-as a college coach. There are plenty of great college coaches that do not successfully make the transition. For every jim Harbaugh.... Lovie Smith should be given consideration, but of these names, he also had the best (though not great) QB for the longest period of time. Warner had a nice comeback year in AZ, but had been tailing off before that. I actually like Whisenhunt, as he was an up and coming assistant with an organization that the Bills should seek to emulate, the Steelers. Apparently the Bills have asked Whiz if he could work with Alex Smith, FWIW. Anyway, my list would be

Horton

Jim Haslett

Whisenhunt

Smith

so actually, Chan was better than him . . . and i would say that Arizona had more talent on their roster than the BIlls have had the past three years

but worse at qb, so ultimately a wash. as neither had a qb, well, neither was going far.