Per CBSSports, Bills coaching candidate names emerging...

Big Turk

MIke Mccoy of the Broncos should be the guy. What happens when you have a weak qb? Run the ball until you have the best run offense in the league.

I would only take Mike McCoy if he brings Peyton Manning along as his signal caller. Otherwise, pay someone off the street to call run, run pass on third and long, kick. Mike McCoy didn't invent the read option, he simply implemented a bad version of it last year. This year's success is all Manning.....ALL!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, who is out there with a better proven track record that would actually come here? Most of the candidates that people are high on are coaches who people "think" can be great NFL coaches? Do we want that when we half of our roster is already players that fit that description?

You are nuts. The Bills haven't hired a coach with a resume even close to that since they hired Chuck Knox ages ago. We have tried the up and coming coordinators with Mularkey and Williams. We have tried the retread route with Jauron and Gailey. Why not try someone who is actually carrying a resume with some NFL success as a head coach in it? His Super Bowl appearance, division titles and winning records aside, the fact that he kept a job for 9 seasons in a football crazed city shochanged atuld speak volumes by itself.

How do you know who would "actually come here"? Because Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan said "no" 3 years ago, nobody with a "name" will come to Buffalo? There is more talent on the roster now than when they had few options other than to take Gailey back then and the owner was still seen as a meddling obstacle. The presser on the 1st was to put the league on notice that the culture has changed at One Bills Drive, the owner is no longer an issue, and that they would go all out to get the right coach. Otherwise, why do that? They could've remained silent, stayed with the status quo and just hired any guy who was willing to come to Buffalo. Whether or not that's true remains to be seen. Anyone skeptical as to what this organization says is justified in feeling that way. Their track record has been horrendous. That being said, I want the Bills to finally get on the cutting edge and join the modern NFL. They're always behind the curve. Lovie Smith isn't cutting edge. He's the safe choice. This team always plays it safe and never takes any chances. Again, I never said I hated Lovie or would be devastated if the Bills decided to choose him, I just wouldn't be jazzed about it. I wouldn't fly off the handle and say it was a horrible choice if they hired him. Maybe some reading comprehension skills are needed by some on this board. For those of you advocating Lovie Smith, good for you. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it just as I'm entitled to mine. Calling me "nuts" or having a Bears fan with all of 13 posts on this board telling me "yeah, you should be so lucky" or 'B-less' calling me "genius" because Lovie Smith wouldn't be my first choice is asinine. If he's the best choice why has his name not been tied to any other job opening at this point? Should the Bills settle for him right away because it's poor Buffalo and we should be glad that someone with a decent track record would consider the job? That's the same crappy mentality that's put this franchise in the state it's in now. If this is truly a "new era" in Buffalo Bills football, let Brandon and the front office prove it by doing something bold and swinging for the fences for a change. Do I have the answer? No, but I'm not a GM and neither are the rest of you. My opinion is that they should gun for somebody like a Chip Kelly. A younger visionary. Could he flame out? Absolutely. But he's high risk/high reward. I believe with the current trends in the NFL it's time for the Bills to take a chance like this. Lovie Smith is low risk/medium reward. He'd probably get this team to the playoffs eventually but I don't care about just getting to the playoffs, even after 13 years. This team also lost four Super Bowls. I want a guy who can get there and win it. Hell, even Lovie's own GM didn't feel like they were going to get to the promised land with him either or he wouldn't be standing in the unemployment line right now after a 10-6 year. I'd love him as the DC. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better candidate. But his track record picking OC's is abysmal. I don't want C.J. Spiller's talent languishing under his leadership as it did under Gailey who supposedly knows offense. Bottom-line: This organization needs to get a coach and QB who can succeed in today's NFL. We can all agree to disagree on who that may be but attacking others because they don't agree with your opinion is childish and short-sighted. We can all agree that we want the Bills to win again and bring the Lombardi Trophy to WNY, regardless of who does it. For once, get it right Buffalo. Be aggressive, choose wisely, and don't settle no matter who the choice may be. GO BILLS!!!