Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

I dont understand the hate for this guy. DJ was making all the personal decisions, not Russ when he was "GM". Russ went out and hired a lifelong scout to rebuild the football team and helped to hire an up and coming FO guy in Whaley. He's made overtures to Shannahan, Chip Kelley, Jon Gruden to be our coach. Its not like he hasn't tried to make this team better.

I firmly believe a person doesnt get into this business unless they want to produce a champion. This isn't about purely money. I can't imagine a man working in that capacity that doesn't want to win. It just doesn't make sense

I'm with ya - here's a guy that grew up near Syracuse, went to school in Rochester and has worked at several sports franchises (including the Rochester Red Wings), is respected throughout the sports world and that now has a dream job with the Bills. Seems like JUST the guy you want in charge...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with ya - here's a guy that grew up near Syracuse, went to school in Rochester and has worked at several sports franchises (including the Rochester Red Wings), is respected throughout the sports world and that now has a dream job with the Bills. Seems like JUST the guy you want in charge...

You will never convince me that an NFL franchise can be successfully run by one who knows little of football. I don't hate the guy. I also don't think there's any coincidence between his influence on this team and 12 years of futility. And before you say "He doesn't have to know football"....he does in order to hire the right people to run the football operations.

He'll be gone as soon as RW passes away and the team is sold.

You will never convince me that an NFL franchise can be successfully run by one who knows little of football. I don't hate the guy. I also don't think there's any coincidence between his influence on this team and 12 years of futility. And before you say "He doesn't have to know football"....he does in order to hire the right people to run the football operations.

I guess I would understand that if he were running the football side of things, but he's not, he's running overall franchise.

The CEO of Pepsi doesn't need to know how to make the product, or have worked at a bottler, but they do need to understand how the entire organization runs to be a successful leader.

Brandon has deep roots in sports franchise operations - Red Wings, Marlins (during the World Series years) and he joined the Bills in 1997. Hard to say that he knows *nothing* about football after a 16 year NFL career! I'm pretty sure you learn a thing or two and make a connection or three after that long...

I dont understand the hate for this guy. DJ was making all the personal decisions, not Russ when he was "GM". Russ went out and hired a lifelong scout to rebuild the football team and helped to hire an up and coming FO guy in Whaley. He's made overtures to Shannahan, Chip Kelley, Jon Gruden to be our coach. Its not like he hasn't tried to make this team better.

I firmly believe a person doesnt get into this business unless they want to produce a champion. This isn't about purely money. I can't imagine a man working in that capacity that doesn't want to win. It just doesn't make sense

Got ya, but the Shanahan , Kelly, & Gruden thing was all for not from the get go, Brandon as well as every one of those coaches new they weren't going to come here. I even read a article today that said the Chip Kelly interview was the shortest interview the Bills did that day & there was NO follow up ! So that was nothing but a ploy !!

If for nothing else to make us believe that that was the way they were thinking of going . To make us think they were doing their home work.

Then they use exhaustive & thorough as explanations of their search, REALLY 5 candidates, 1 weeks time ??

And when you don't even talk to Trestman, Reid, or wait to talk to McCoy, or any of the others COME ON MAN !! I think the Marrone thing was a fore gone conclusion before it all started they just wanted us to think they were doing their home work (along with abide by the Rooney rule) & what was right by the fans !!

Brandon is a great PR man & knows how to turn things to look good for him & his team, & i hope this does turn out to be the best hire the Bills have ever made but i will have a wait & see attitude.

But until then GO BILLS !!!

Edited by T master

Buddy Nix hiring Chan Gailey sealed his fate as a GM. Russ Brandon taking over as president of football operations and hiring an 8-4 college coach (which was 4th best in the Big East)... will certainly define his future.

Should Doug Marrone beat the odds against him, and build a competitive team in the AFC East, then Brandon's future will be bright indeed.

I'll skip over proving why Brandon is bad, etc. I just have little confidence in his leadership and think the Bills will struggle under it. It has in the past and I see nothing new to change my opinion. I'm rooting for the guy. I hope he builds a dynasty. But how you struggle for 16 years, then, all the sudden become good is a new concept for me. I'll have to see this one.

And what new ownership is taking over next year? Do you know something we don't?

No, just wishful thinking, it's gonna happen sooner or later. Let me rephrase that:

Unless he quickly pulls off a miracle, he will be dumped not long after the new ownership takes over.

So far, Brandon has been associated with failure. No new owner in their right mind would keep him around based on what we've seen to date.

Does he have a chance to turn things around? Absolutely. So far, it sure looks like he has taken a different, positive approach to business-as-usual with the Marrone hiring & the apparently increased involvement of Whaley.

Will he turn things around? TD had a whole lot more going for him when he became president & all football operations were going to be handled by him. Same POS of an owner, but maybe Ralph really does stay away this time with his advanced age & all. Ralph's stooges, Littman & Jimmy O, haven't gone anywhere though.

Do I hope he succeeds? Hell yes, I want to see the Bills win again!... plus anyways there's nothing else you CAN do while waiting for the new ownership to take over. Make no mistake though, if he doesn't turn things around, he will be gone.

I'll skip over proving why Brandon is bad, etc. I just have little confidence in his leadership and think the Bills will struggle under it. It has in the past and I see nothing new to change my opinion. I'm rooting for the guy. I hope he builds a dynasty. But how you struggle for 16 years, then, all the sudden become good is a new concept for me. I'll have to see this one.

This is an impossible post to argue with.

There is no quick fix to this very troubled franchise. The only way to turn things around is to hire better quality people to make the football decisions. If Whaley is in charge (I'm not even sure that he is) then I consider that a front office upgrade. The HC hiring process was much more professionally done compared to prior hires. That is a good sign. Not that long ago this organization couldn't even get quality HC candidates to even interview for the job opening. That certainly wasn't the case this time.

Will the Bills make the playoffs next year? I don't believe so. But if this organizatiion starts functioning at a higher level then it is a step in the right direction. Brandon doesn't have to have an exceptional amount of knowledge of the pro game. Of course he needs some knowledge about the game and the business. His most important responsibility is assembling a staff that will put together a quality product on the field. He has given me a reason to be optimistic based on the way he handled the HC selection process. It's gong to take time. There is no way around that.

Edited by JohnC

Buddy Nix hiring Chan Gailey sealed his fate as a GM. Russ Brandon taking over as president of football operations and hiring an 8-4 college coach (which was 4th best in the Big East)... will certainly define his future.

Should Doug Marrone beat the odds against him, and build a competitive team in the AFC East, then Brandon's future will be bright indeed.

You are correct sir. You can try to pin the past on Brandon, but he takes all formal responsibility starting this year.

So what about RW, did he know more about football than RB? And lets assume you think he does,how did he learn it, on the job training. As far as knowledge to hire that right peopl that's the same fault RW had and whe nyou take a good look at things probably 1/2 the league is in that boat, and of the other half, a handful will get lucky once in awhile and hire the right person, kind of the way RW hired Polian.

As far as the 12 years of futility, I'd attribute that more to RW than anyone else. For a 15 year period or so, they Bill's were one of the top five most talented teams in the league. Other than that period and the years they were able to live of of that run, RW did little to be happy about. By the late 90's they were going downhill and the biggest problem RB had was walked in the door at the wrong time.

So what about RW, did he know more about football than RB? And lets assume you think he does,how did he learn it, on the job training. As far as knowledge to hire that right peopl that's the same fault RW had and whe nyou take a good look at things probably 1/2 the league is in that boat, and of the other half, a handful will get lucky once in awhile and hire the right person, kind of the way RW hired Polian.

As far as the 12 years of futility, I'd attribute that more to RW than anyone else. For a 15 year period or so, they Bill's were one of the top five most talented teams in the league. Other than that period and the years they were able to live of of that run, RW did little to be happy about. By the late 90's they were going downhill and the biggest problem RB had was walked in the door at the wrong time.

+1

Anyone have a specific decision made by RB (not RW) that has caused the Bills to miss the playoffs for 12 years?

I can't really think of any of his moves that have panned out.

Even CJ was ill advised, we could still have Lynch back there with FJ. (Though, at this point, CJ is probably better, still could have been used on a better/different player at a different position)

Not really sure why Nix has been given a pass. We've gotten worse, and most of his picks/signings have underperformed.

The thing is that even if we traded Lynch, we could have just done fine with Freddie and some later round draft choice. I am glad that we have an All-Pro in CJ Spiller in our team, but not addressing the QB situation is simply not acceptable.

The thing is that even if we traded Lynch, we could have just done fine with Freddie and some later round draft choice. I am glad that we have an All-Pro in CJ Spiller in our team, but not addressing the QB situation is simply not acceptable.

That about sums it up for me.

There is no quick fix to this very troubled franchise. The only way to turn things around is to hire better quality people to make the football decisions. If Whaley is in charge (I'm not even sure that he is) then I consider that a front office upgrade. The HC hiring process was much more professionally done compared to prior hires. That is a good sign. Not that long ago this organization couldn't even get quality HC candidates to even interview for the job opening. That certainly wasn't the case this time.

Will the Bills make the playoffs next year? I don't believe so. But if this organizatiion starts functioning at a higher level then it is a step in the right direction. Brandon doesn't have to have an exceptional amount of knowledge of the pro game. Of course he needs some knowledge about the game and the business. His most important responsibility is assembling a staff that will put together a quality product on the field. He has given me a reason to be optimistic based on the way he handled the HC selection process. It's gong to take time. There is no way around that.

So do you think RB or Nix were questioning the pick of Danny Crossman? That pick really concerns me. Almost makes me look at everything else again. My guess is, there will be no improvement in 2013.

all I know is, there is a direct correlation of Russ Brandon's ascent up the Bills' organizational chart, and the organization's descent into a pathetic, hopeless mess.

:wallbash::doh:

because he had a lot of pull in firing wade and hiring TD? Or any power at all in football decisions when TD was here?

Good lord, some of you people have an axe to grind and you will grind in come hell or high water.

Many of you need to realize that your opinions are not facts and that every one has their own set of 'blinders'.

What is more amazing is that no one has yet been able to provide a team that has 'football guy' as President/CEO

Edited by jeremy2020