Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than start a new thread, I wonder here if Russ being named Pres has any impact on the Toronto deal.

He knows everyone hates it and he knows it brings a lot of money to the team. The fact it hasn't been done yet makes me wonder if Rogers has offered drastically less money and that has left Russ to ponder whether it's really worth screwing the fans over.

Or just that he has been kinda busy lately and that it will happen in due course.

Russ please just say NO to the Toronto deal.

The only reason the Toronto deal was a dud is because the Bills stink. Build a winner and Toronto will show up. Brandon is not letting go of Toronto. Just accept it.

PTR

The only reason the Toronto deal was a dud is because the Bills stink. Build a winner and Toronto will show up. Brandon is not letting go of Toronto. Just accept it.

PTR

I'm not so sure. Brandon was doing Ralph's bidding. Even Russ the Marketer can't deny the failure of that series. Would not surprise me to see it go away.

PTR

You'd have to build a 90s style, dynastic winner to bring over the Toronto fans, I think. Not an easy task. There are some football fans there (hence the Rodgers and Brady jerseys), but not a lot of Bills fans who want to pay premium loonies to watch football in that mausoleum when they can watch them down the road in a real football environment.

Toronto is full of rich fans who are used to spending stupid money to support bad teams. If the Bills were contenders they could easily fill the Rogers Centre.

But that is not even the point. The Bills have a flag planted in Toronto. They are part of our market now. They make us more viable. We are not a small market, we are a huge region.

PTR

John, You are quickly becoming one of my favorite members of this board...

So I guess I should apologize for that right now... ;)

Seriously though...Great points all... B-)

No apologies are in order. But I do question your judgment! :D LOL

Thank you.

Meh.

He's alright.

:)

Are you talking bad about me? Watch your step----I have some Italian relatives living in your area who are out of work. Their specialty is whacking people! :D LOL

Edited by JohnC

Toronto is full of rich fans who are used to spending stupid money to support bad teams. If the Bills were contenders they could easily fill the Rogers Centre.

But that is not even the point. The Bills have a flag planted in Toronto. They are part of our market now. They make us more viable. We are not a small market, we are a huge region.

PTR

You completely missed my points.

1) Rogers Centre is a bad football atmosphere all around.

2) Reaching out to the Toronto market by putting a bad NFL product in a bad stadium for football and charging them ridiculous money does not, in fact, make them a part of that market. The "better product" part would help, but it remains to be seen and proven. For now, it looks to me like the Bills took the money and ran - which is to say there was none of Russ Brandon's marketing genius around this series. It looks in fact like they let Rogers handle it, which was a massive mistake. There has been lip service paid, but basically the whole thing has been a case of "thank you very much for paying way too much for this and lining Mr. Wilson's pockets." It has not been a well-coordinated effort. The fans from St. Catherines and Hamilton were there before this stupid debacle, and they'll be there afterwards.

If they want fans to really come out and get the thrill of the game, they need to do it outdoors, and they need to go for volume over price-per-ticket. Make the games cheap, and you endear yourself to a fanbase - sound familiar?

I'm not so sure. Brandon was doing Ralph's bidding. Even Russ the Marketer can't deny the failure of that series. Would not surprise me to see it go away.

Brandon was always working on behalf of Ralph and his company. His loyalties lie with the person who paid him. Without a doubt the Toronto excursion has resulted in a bonanza for the owner with little added investment on his part. Why do you think that Wilson has placed his trust in him? He made him a boat load of extra money.

I understand why a lot of people are disturbed about playing games across the border. It certainly isn't surprising that the fan base questions the motives of the elderly owner. He's an out of town owner with little allegiance to western NY. However, if you take out the fear quotient (moving the franchise north) and look at the issue from a long term viability standpoint it makes a lot of sense.

Even if an out of town group wins the franchise auction (anyone who doesn't believe that the franchise is going to be auctioned to the highest bidder is naive) the potential for the expanded market will certainly make it more appealing to keep the team in the region.

What the clueless owner of the Bills never understood is that in the long run the quality of the product produces more money for you than stringently squeezing the business out of its last dollar. If the Bills became a fashionable entertainment value the potential to expand the market and profitability would be enhanced.

Brandon doesn't know as much about football as he thinks. His specialty is marketing. And he is good at that endeavor. If he worked for a new savvy owner who was creative and had vision he could develop the combined canadian and western NY market into a gold mine.

Don't be surprised if the Rodgers group is the winning bidder for the franchise when it is on the market. The Bills franchise would fit in perfectly with their cable and communication empire. And as an added bonus there would be no NFL relocation costs because it is already established as part of the already existing market.

My basic point is businesses have to adapt to the changing economy and market. Instead of resisting the trend it would be wiser to go with it and have it work for you.

Brandon was always working on behalf of Ralph and his company. His loyalties lie with the person who paid him. Without a doubt the Toronto excursion has resulted in a bonanza for the owner with little added investment on his part. Why do you think that Wilson has placed his trust in him? He made him a boat load of extra money.

I understand why a lot of people are disturbed about playing games across the border. It certainly isn't surprising that the fan base questions the motives of the elderly owner. He's an out of town owner with little allegiance to western NY. However, if you take out the fear quotient (moving the franchise north) and look at the issue from a long term viability standpoint it makes a lot of sense.

Even if an out of town group wins the franchise auction (anyone who doesn't believe that the franchise is going to be auctioned to the highest bidder is naive) the potential for the expanded market will certainly make it more appealing to keep the team in the region.

What the clueless owner of the Bills never understood is that in the long run the quality of the product produces more money for you than stringently squeezing the business out of its last dollar. If the Bills became a fashionable entertainment value the potential to expand the market and profitability would be enhanced.

Brandon doesn't know as much about football as he thinks. His specialty is marketing. And he is good at that endeavor. If he worked for a new savvy owner who was creative and had vision he could develop the combined canadian and western NY market into a gold mine.

Don't be surprised if the Rodgers group is the winning bidder for the franchise when it is on the market. The Bills franchise would fit in perfectly with their cable and communication empire. And as an added bonus there would be no NFL relocation costs because it is already established as part of the already existing market.

My basic point is businesses have to adapt to the changing economy and market. Instead of resisting the trend it would be wiser to go with it and have it work for you.

Says the guy on an internet message board. Brandon is making millions a year and Ralph has made billions over his lifetime and still has a billion+ dollars in value. You're likely living paycheck to paycheck and pulling down 40-50K a year. Funny that you are trying to give marketing and corporate advice.

Says the guy on an internet message board. Brandon is making millions a year and Ralph has made billions over his lifetime and still has a billion+ dollars in value. You're likely living paycheck to paycheck and pulling down 40-50K a year. Funny that you are trying to give marketing and corporate advice.

Ralph Wilson is an inept owner. His record is a testimoney to his competency.

I do acknowledge that Brandon is good at his profession. Why do you conclude that I think otherwise?

Aren't you also a participant on the same internet message board?

Edited by JohnC

John, I disagree with you about Ralph having no allegiance to WNY. I also don't agree with those who say he's been too busy running the Bills like a business, to make money, without caring about winning. I think the opposite -- he wants to win, badly, but has repeatedly gone about it the wrong way and made bad decisions. He has actually run his business poorly.

The move to Brandon solves both problems. Brandon realizes the Bills need to be good to be valuable, and he's got the business acumen and skills as an administrator to make it happen. While I believe he knows more about football than you do, it's not relevant. He said last Tuesday he would put the right people in place and get out of their way.

The Toronto series has been a disaster -- regionalization effort or otherwise -- and nearly everyone on both sides of the border agrees. The NFL (i.e., Goodell) may like it, and Ralph certainly enjoyed the paycheck, but it has been a nightmare for everyone else -- particularly the players and fans.

I could certainly see Brandon restricting Toronto games to the preseason, realizing it puts the Bills at a competitive disadvantage to "lose" a home game at this point in their development.

It seems to me the Bills (under Brandon) are willing to spend money (or, in this case, forego additional money) to fix the organization.

Let's be honest: Russ Brandon is living the dream that almost every poster he would trade for in a second. He has worked his way up into the head of a team he rooted for as a kid. Say what you want to about the guy, but respect his hustle. And I still believe he is the best friend we have in keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

Let's be honest: Russ Brandon is living the dream that almost every poster he would trade for in a second. He has worked his way up into the head of a team he rooted for as a kid. Say what you want to about the guy, but respect his hustle. And I still believe he is the best friend we have in keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

No doubt he has worked hard and , yes, I would trade places. I just wonder how his influence on this team is going to suddenly be positive after 16 years of not so good.

I think the best way to keep the Bills in Bflo is putting a good product on the field. They need the public pride in the Bills rather than the burgeoning apathy.

Ralph Wilson is an inept owner. His record is a testimoney to his competency.

I do acknowledge that Brandon is good at his profession. Why do you conclude that I think otherwise?

Aren't you also a participant on the same internet message board?

Not really. I come here to mock other posters and be terminally cynical.

I agree.

Totally agree. He is from the area, loves Buffalo and the Bills, and he is well respected by his peers in the NFL.

John, I disagree with you about Ralph having no allegiance to WNY. I also don't agree with those who say he's been too busy running the Bills like a business, to make money, without caring about winning. I think the opposite -- he wants to win, badly, but has repeatedly gone about it the wrong way and made bad decisions. He has actually run his business poorly.

Let's see how much allegiance he has when the team is auctioned.

Your comments about him often making bad decisions that have hindered this franchise is a polite way of saying that he is an incompetent owner from a football standpoint. That is exactly my point, blunt as it may be.

The move to Brandon solves both problems. Brandon realizes the Bills need to be good to be valuable, and he's got the business acumen and skills as an administrator to make it happen. While I believe he knows more about football than you do, it's not relevant. He said last Tuesday he would put the right people in place and get out of their way.

The move to Brandon is an excellent move. Why do you think I am against it? Whether he knows a lot about football or not isn't the central issue. He is smart enough to hire quality football people and both empower and hold them accountable. That is how a franchise should be run and how a business should be run.

In a prior post I made the claim that Brandon worked on hehalf of his boss, Ralph Wilson. His primary loyalty was to his employer. There is nothing controversial about the observation of that relationship. If Ralph wanted a deal with the Toronto group it was Brandon's role to execute his desires. Again, Brandon works for the owner.

Toronto series has been a disaster -- regionalization effort or otherwise -- and nearly everyone on both sides of the border agrees. The NFL (i.e., Goodell) may like it, and Ralph certainly enjoyed the paycheck, but it has been a nightmare for everyone else -- particularly the players and fans.

I could certainly see Brandon restricting Toronto games to the preseason, realizing it puts the Bills at a competitive disadvantage to "lose" a home game at this point in their development.

The reason that the Toronto experience hasn't worked out well is due to the garbage product on the field. If this was a K-gun era type team the canadian experience would be viewed very differently by the canadian market.

It seems to me the Bills (under Brandon) are willing to spend money (or, in this case, forego additional money) to fix the organization.

The major problem with the franchise under the stewardship of Wilson has little to do with money. Ralph has spent a ton of money but often not wisely. The fundamental mistake that has crippled this franchise is that he has hired mediocre people to manage the football side of the operation. In addition, his frequent involvement in the operation has been more of a hinderance than an asset.

The one area where Wilson has been parsimonious is in paying for an upper tier football staff and organization (scouting department). In my view not paying on the frontside of the business has cost him on the backside of the business. The Chuck Knox saga is a classic example on that issue.

I don't want to come off as being disrespectful or mean-spirited but not having Ralph Wilson actively involved in the franchise is very liberating. There is currently an opportunity that this very backward franchise could now step forward and function as a normal franchise. I have more hope that this very irrelevant franchise can become a serious franchise again. That was not going to happen with the owner being involved. Again, I don't intend to be flip or disrespectful to an aging person.

Edited by JohnC