Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

Then why don't you think Carroll was heavily involved in the Wilson pick? I will ask this of bandit too. Why give the GM all the credit?

And, bandit, I guess I consider "immediate" pieces of 2 preseason games ,considering no one else thought this kid was a starter. I give credit to Carroll recognizing at the very early stage what he had in Wilson and making a bold move (it was widely regarded as such--even you can't argue otherwise).

I already said as much

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is dynamic is precisely what the common fan occupying the majority of this thread does not comprehend.

Do you think someone like Chip Kelly would have taken an interview with the Bills if not for the reorganization announced this week? Yes or no, please.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

You are being very unfair to me. I don't hate Nix. I don't understand why you would say such an ugly thing? My negative commments about him are over his judgments and record. The underlying theme of my comments about him, harsh as they may be, relate to his record on the job. Holding someone accountable for their record has absolutely nothing to do with personal animosity.

The notion that the Bills are better than when Nix first takes over is meaningless. It's not how good you are compared to yourself. The real issue is how good are you against your competition. If the Bills improved under Nix and the teams ahead of us improved more, what have you really accomplished? If the teams behind you improved at a higher rate than the rate you have improved at are you really improving your position.

The real (only) measure of how good you are is the record. Under Nix the Bills are 16-32. Against AFC East teams the Bills are 4-14. During Nix's tenure the Bills have beaten teams with winning records in the 10-15% range. Did you watch the San Fran or Seattle games? How do you think our roster ranked aganst them?

You can use whatever measuring stick you want to rate the Bills. I'll stick with the real measuring stick: The record.

1] I don't know why you thought I was talking personally. Nothing in this thread has been about that. You obviously hate Nix as a GM, and drafter. I was simply saying he's still highly regarded around the league.

2] Of course it matters whether the roster is better now than when he got here. It's a huge part of getting a new coach. The Bills would be a MUCH harder sell to Chip Kelly or Mike McCoy or Lovie Smith if they had the players we had three years ago. I very much doubt Kelly would even interview.

3] A GM's job has many aspects to it. Drafting players, re-signing players, Free Agency, street Free Agency, salary cap, hiring head coaches, amongst others. Nix has failed more than he succeeded, so he needs to go.He was very hamstrung at the beginning because no one wanted to coach this team. Gailey was nowhere near his first choice.

I want him gone though, I am not an apologist.

It has gotten to the point of absurdity. Some peopl are now judging Nix as doing an acceptable job because there are numerous candidates for the HC position for a historically bad franchise. How low a bar can one set for determining success? The Bills' record during his three year tenure as a GM is 16-32. His record against AFC East opponents is 4-14. His record against winning teams is in the 10-15% range. By any measuring stick his drafting has been mediocre (trying to be kind). One of the first major decisions he was required to make was the hiring of a HC. He hired a retread HC who lived up to his prior record.

There is nothing wrong in demanding accountability from the highest ranking person in the football side of the franchise. Just to cite two games the San Fran and Seattle games clearly demonstrated to anyone who watched the game with their eyes open that the Bills are a feeble team when compared to the upper echelon teams in the league. That is not progress. It might be for you but it certainly isn't for me.

What does it matter where the bar is set? The bar has been set.

What is more absurd, Someone that wants to burn down the front office every three yearse g or someone that sees there has been actual real world improvement in the talent on the roster?

You may want to check on Chan Gailey's actual coaching record as HC in the NFL. You clearly dont know and You may be surprised. (Let me give you a hint 2 for 2 in making the playoffs and an NFC East title)

Edited by Why So Serious?

A lot of intellect, good points, and words.

Wasted on spilt milk.

Unless there is an understanding as to why the Bills have been historically bad there will never be meaningful change for the better. It isn't about grousing over what has been done before. It is really about learning from your ingrained institutional mistakes and doing something positive and different.

What's even worse than Chan/Nix's three year record is the continuous bad product (performance) on the field. Over the past number of years the Bills record against winning teams is in the 10-15% range. That is sad. That is unacceptable. One way of breaking through this lethargy is holding people accountable.

The understanding on why the Bills have been historically bad will be based on whoever you ask.

No consensus will arise from the discussion.

But I'll take my own advice and recuse myself from a thread which has outlived its usefulness.

Sorry.

The understanding on why the Bills have been historically bad will be based on whoever you ask.

No consensus will arise from the discussion.

But I'll take my own advice and recuse myself from a thread which has outlived its usefulness.

Sorry.

There is an overwhelming consensus as to why this organization has failed. It is the incompetent owner who made the major hires and structured the organization in the way he wanted it structured. It starts at the top.

What does it matter where the bar is set? The bar has been set.

What is more absurd, Someone that wants to burn down the front office every three yearse g or someone that sees there has been actual real world improvement in the talent on the roster?

You may want to check on Chan Gailey's actual coaching record as HC in the NFL. You clearly dont know and You may be surprised. (Let me give you a hint 2 for 2 in making the playoffs and an NFC East title)

If Chan is such a stellar HC then why was he let go?

There is an overwhelming consensus as to why this organization has failed. It is the incompetent owner who made the major hires and structured the organization in the way he wanted it structured. It starts at the top.

How many times can this be repeated without it taking on the tone of an endless crusade?

We get it. Ralph Wilson has been an incompetent owner since he brought the team to Buffalo. Is there anything more to say?

GO BILLS!!!

Second, the logic of picking Graham over Wilson is flawed. It would only work if Graham was a highly regarded WR. He wasn't really. Most agreed Nix reached up at least a round to get him. Obviously Nix "liked" a new WR more than he "liked" a new QB. This is also strange because Nix absolutely knew the physical limitations of his QB, yet was hell bent on picking up a track star who had modest receiving skills. For this reason the pick, and all of the reasoning behind it, never made any sense.

Third, "franchise QBs" aren't labeled accurately in the draft. And as far as a QB coming in and turning this team into a playoff team overnight, well so what? It's an intersting comment to make--especially since Buddy, facing his own GM mortality, has suddenly found Jesus---announcing recently that drafting a QB is his new priority. Well, guess what? The crop of QBs he has to chose from this draft is not as good as the ones he has already passed on, so the likelihood of finding one who will turn this team into a playoff team overnight is even less likely. But he's going to pick one in the 1st or 2nd round anyway?

The only heavy lifting a GM has to do in the course of his job is to hire the right HC and QB. That's it. Buddy whiffed on the first (although the spectre of Ralph made his choices very limited) and he didn't bother with the second. That's why he shouldn't be here anymore as GM.

I don't think knocking Buddy down to advisor or soemthing would have sat well with Ralph. And I do believe that Ralph is looking at it like this. In exchange for giving up control there are a few things that I want. Maybe this is one of them and IS Reasonable cosidering the state of affairs and timeline to draft. Maybe Buddy has said I'll go along with that and if we're gonna get some gee whiz bang coach in here from college with analytics and what not that I don't know about well so be it. I'm leaving after the draft anyway and this is on Doug and Buddy to choose.

I personally am not convinced that Whaley is ready to take over. He seems very green to me. A little to soft spoken nice guy perhaps. That may be fine given the supporting cast he may have, or as has been proven in the past, could spell doom!

For example Russ and Marv probably relied on Overdorf and Littman too much.

OR now that Ralph is not involved the team is run in a far more appropriate manner and for better or worse they answer to Russ. Russ has infinite knowledge of how this entire organization operates. There may very well be pet peeves of his that he can now feel free to jetison whne he evaluates the evaluators. I think some of that comes out as we move forward.

I like Buddy. But then I like Russ too. I am most thankful that Ralph's hand other than this compromise, is no longer on the steering wheel. I also can only laugh at your "maybe buddy found his Jesus" He will want to leave a credible team behind him and I believe he is. That's in part evidenced by the fact that people are interested in the HC job. There's a team to work with here at this point. We are not the dogs that we have been for so long and the right coach WILL make the difference here. That and they know the old man's hand won't be on the phone everday asking them what they are going to do about this or that.

Sorry I have rambled off in so many directions but this is what happens as you age! :thumbsup:

Go Bills!

How many pages was the Mario thread? Anyone? What are the chances this one beats it out? I know it's far from the "last post wins" thread but this is picking up to be one of the more beefy threads in recent memory. And I couldn't really stand it after about page 20-30ish. Just wondering why it's still around.

This thread has turned into a 3-4 man pissing match. You all have said the same things in ~200 posts/person in varying words. We get it.

this

And I love that! He was relentless in his search for a franchise QB. Nobody expects Buddy and his staff to be perfect. All fans deserve is a strategic vision, which Buddy has shown he lacks. Hard to blame him, as he's best suited as a scout and not as a general manager.

I hope he's the answer. But as I stated in an earlier post:

Whaley is the Assistant GM. He heads scouting. He, along with Nix, is responsible for the very dubious gradings that result in the ill-advised draft day decisions that continue to plague this franchise. The assumption that a Nix-to-Whaley transition will fix all problems implies that Whaley had little to do with the dubious draft decisions. Do you truly believe that? Do you believe that Whaley, despite working right alongside Nix, bears little responsibility for the shoddy decision making? I sure don't that but hope I'm wrong. :)

Hard to tell, really. College Scouting has been Nix's baby, and a lot of times Director of Player Personnel like Whaley will have a much heavier influence on professional scouting. We'd have to be behind their closed doors to find out.

Hard to tell, really. College Scouting has been Nix's baby, and a lot of times Director of Player Personnel like Whaley will have a much heavier influence on professional scouting. We'd have to be behind their closed doors to find out.

And Whaley's primary duties both in Pittsburgh and in Buffalo has been Pro Scouting.

solid post here. Common sense would dictate that off the bat, former scout Nix would be more heavily involved with that side of the GM duties, while Whaley as GM in waiting would continue his role as evaluator of Pro Personnel while learning the college scouting ropes to make him a more complete GM, right?

It could probably be pretty easily concluded that it was Whaley who recommended Urbik be snatched off the waiver wire back in September 2010. What team drafted him again? And when did the Bills hire Whaley? The other "scrap heap" moves such as Chandler, Lee Smith, etc. would also fall under the arm of pro personnel, which is encouraging

Do you think someone like Chip Kelly would have taken an interview with the Bills if not for the reorganization announced this week? Yes or no, please.

I'll answer for fun. If that's the reason he wants to interview for Buffalo job, I don't want him. Too stupid.

Yes. There's no harm in talking. Do I think Chip Kelly would accept a job from Russ Brandon? No.

solid post here. Common sense would dictate that off the bat, former scout Nix would be more heavily involved with that side of the GM duties, while Whaley as GM in waiting would continue his role as evaluator of Pro Personnel while learning the college scouting ropes to make him a more complete GM, right?

It could probably be pretty easily concluded that it was Whaley who recommended Urbik be snatched off the waiver wire back in September 2010. What team drafted him again? And when did the Bills hire Whaley? The other "scrap heap" moves such as Chandler, Lee Smith, etc. would also fall under the arm of pro personnel, which is encouraging

Are you crazy? You can't say anything positive about the Bills FO.

Yeah the team was able to pull a center off a practice squad and have him not only start but start, play well and get credited for a pancake block, but that was just dumb luck.

Yes the team has take UDFA and practice squad players on the o-line to add to the 3 top 50 draft picks to make a solid O-line. But even a broken clock is right twice a day.

However it happened it was definitely not excellent pro personnel scouting by an upcoming FO talent.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I don't think Coach is saying that it's THE reason, but rather that it removes a reason NOT to take the interview (i.e. meddlesome owner)...

If you were not interested because of Ralph, and Ralph handed the torch to Russ, wouldn't you necessarily need to have confidence in Russ (and Buddy, and Whaley) for it to suddenly change your mind? The torch was not being passed to Bobby Beathard or Bill Walsh.

John,

As you may be aware, Mr. Wilson has provided me the extraordinary opportunity to lead this storied franchise into the next generation of Buffalo Bills Football.

As new Team President and CEO, I can promise you three things.

We will be a progressive, forward thinking organization and we will challenge each other every day to provide our fans with the best possible experience at Ralph Wilson Stadium. You deserve a fun, safe and exciting environment at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Our staff will work tirelessly to provide these essential elements to you.

We will leave no stone unturned in bringing this franchise to a championship level. Our first order of business is to identify a Head Coach who can lead us into the next generation of success for the Buffalo Bills. After that, General Manager Buddy Nix and his team will continue their preparation for the 2013 Draft, building on a roster that continues to improve and develop.

Lastly, we are focused on the long-term success of this franchise. The new lease provides us a wonderful opportunity to develop dynamic, extended range plans that will ensure that Buffalo remains our home for a very, very long time.

The only way we can accomplish our goals is through the passion and support of season ticket holders like you. Season ticket holders have always been the foundation we have used to build this franchise. It is this very foundation that we will use to bring this franchise back to a place we can all be proud of.

Thanks again for your support. I want to wish you and your family a very Happy New Year!

Warmest Regards,

rb-signature.jpg

Russ Brandon

President and Chief Executive Officer