Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said that?

Doug Whaley has presided over 3 poor drafts. I too was excited upon his arrival but the proof is in the pudding -- college scouting has been relatively poor under his watch and I take little solace knowing that he's going to take over "at some point." .

haha... Now Whaley is responsible. Last page it was Nix.

When everybody sucks... no one will suck.

Maybe having Brandon in charge will force Nix to take the full 12 minutes and actually pick up the phone when other teams call while the Bills are on the clock.

Maybe an Analytics Dept. will tell the top brass that drafting running backs before Round 3 is unnecessary.

These kinds of things.

Seriously...we need to decide who we're blaming...Ralph? Buddy? Chan? Whaley?

Maybe having Brandon in charge will force Nix to take the full 12 minutes and actually pick up the phone when other teams call while the Bills are on the clock.

Maybe an Analytics Dept. will tell the top brass that drafting running backs before Round 3 is unnecessary.

These kinds of things.

He better not take 12 minutes...they only get 10.

Oh, and I'm okay with taking a RB in round 1 if it's CJ Spiller.

Nix was undoubtedly the lead, but Whaley was undoubtedly part of it. When well-run organizations have similar results that of the Bills, they clean house. The Bills, on the other hand, make small cosmetic changes and their fans continue to fill the seats.

And that's why the playoff drought has reached record levels. If fans like you are ok with this, more power to you. I think you deserve better. :)

Oh I get it; just saying that if it's a game-breaker like Spiller, it's a different story than taking a Rashard Mendenhall or a Lawrence Maroney.

Not to dredge up this debate again - but while Spiller is a premier player, he was not the right pick for this team at that time. The goal is to get to the playoffs. You do that by rounding out the roster. Drafting a RB in the top ten when you already have two good backs on the roster is precisely the kind of mistake an enamored scout/first-time GM would make.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

No man, it is all Fitz's fault. And defense is all mario's fault because he is overpaid. And the conditioning staff that lets players get injured. and that other guy

Ah...I knew it was something like that.

Not to dredge up this debate again - but while Spiller is a premier player, he was not the right pick for this team at that time. The goal is to get to the playoffs. Drafting a RB in the top ten when you already have two good backs on the roster is precisely the kind of mistake an enamored scout/first-time GM would make.

I'm okay agreeing to disagree on that one...I felt like the team was bad enough where they just needed offensive weapons in the worst way, and he was easily the best one available.

Looking back on how that first round played out, there really isn't a guy that I'd rather have that was picked after Spiller...maybe Demaryius Thomas, but we'd need a QB for that to matter...possibly JPP, but he had a very ordinary year in comparison to 2011

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2010&round=round1#round1

Edited by thebandit27

So if they cleaned house then what?? I've heard two names thrown out for the GM spot, the guy from Atlanta Cardwell I believe was the name. He and Whaley share one big thing in common, you have no clue about either of them how they will handle being the guy now. Atlanta has drafted well, but does that mean Cardwell will be great for the Bill's. Using that logic you could argue that G Williams and MM both came from successful organizations as did TD in Tenn and Pitt, but neither worked out very well. The other name is Bill P. Well his drafts the last few years haven't been all that great, in fact you could argue most of his success came prior to free agency and when he didn't get to draft Peyton Manning.

If we had cleaned house we'd all be drooling over signing a guy like Whaley as the GM

Would I have preferred they can BN, sure, though still not all that convinced it won't happen in May anyway but whether Whaley takes over or someone else, in about three years afterwards you'll know if they made a good choice and theres as much chance of it being good or bad whether it was Whaley or someone else.

Nix was undoubtedly the lead, but Whaley was undoubtedly part of it. When well-run organizations have similar results that of the Bills, they clean house. The Bills, on the other hand, make small cosmetic changes and their fans continue to fill the seats.

And that's why the playoff drought has reached record levels. If fans like you are ok with this, more power to you. I think you deserve better. :)

Hello Everyone...my first post but, I have been lurking for a few years :ph34r:. Imo, the Bills are making much better choices than in the past.

The Bills could have kept Chan, and not give RB full control. Then where would we be? Might not seem like alot to some but, these changes in themselves are big. The org seems more commited to winning than I've seen in the last 20 years. That to me, is progress.

There's an old saying , 'Don't throw the baby out with the bath water' and perhaps, this saying may apply to what kind of changes we are seeing with the Bills these last couple of days.

Happy New Year to All!

So if they cleaned house then what?? I've heard two names thrown out for the GM spot, the guy from Atlanta Cardwell I believe was the name. He and Whaley share one big thing in common, you have no clue about either of them how they will handle being the guy now. Atlanta has drafted well, but does that mean Cardwell will be great for the Bill's. Using that logic you could argue that G Williams and MM both came from successful organizations as did TD in Tenn and Pitt, but neither worked out very well. The other name is Bill P. Well his drafts the last few years haven't been all that great, in fact you could argue most of his success came prior to free agency and when he didn't get to draft Peyton Manning.

If we had cleaned house we'd all be drooling over signing a guy like Whaley as the GM

Would I have preferred they can BN, sure, though still not all that convinced it won't happen in May anyway but whether Whaley takes over or someone else, in about three years afterwards you'll know if they made a good choice and theres as much chance of it being good or bad whether it was Whaley or someone else.

TD actually built a top 3 defense. While he failed to land a solid head coach, his fresh approach did the team a lot of good. I don't claim to know much about Caldwell or Roman from the 49ers. All I know is that I'd trust Russ Brandon to interview them and determine the right fit. Let's plug someone out of a successful organization and let him give this thing a shot. The Colts did this with Ryan Grigson, hiring him away from Philadelphia. The Rams did this with Les Snead, hiring him away from Atlanta. The Browns are about to do this, as are the Jags, Cardinals and Chargers.

Perhaps Whaley truly is a great personnel man and bears no responsibility for the abysmal front office decisions these past 3 years. I find that hard to believe, but I certainly hope I'm wrong.

I see we have entered the "Whaley sucks" phase of our discussion.

PTR

Whaley doesn't suck by any means. I just think the Bills and their loyal fans deserve better than someone who "doesn't suck." Looks like I'm in the minority :)

Not to dredge up this debate again - but while Spiller is a premier player, he was not the right pick for this team at that time. The goal is to get to the playoffs. You do that by rounding out the roster. Drafting a RB in the top ten when you already have two good backs on the roster is precisely the kind of mistake an enamored scout/first-time GM would make.

Best player available. Have no problem with that pick, as it's one of the very few Buddy Nix picks that have materialized.

and there lies the problem with building the foundation before taking a qb, as nix publicly stated his plan to be. they need to be taken when they're there, not when a gm thinks they should be there. this strategy alone should've got him fired.

Yep. And this is the guy who apparently will be in charge of identifying our new franchise QB this year. That is why I'm not doing somersaults over today's news.

Are you suggesting that Russ Brandon has as much impact on winning and losing as the janitor? Come on man.

He's the CEO of the damn team. While he doesn't have the same degree of impact as a coach or GM, he certainly needs to be held accountable when the team loses. I think Smithers wants the best for the team but is he the best man for the job? With no playoffs since 1999 everything should be on the table.

You are making my point. You assume Russ is the problem because he is part of the Bills management team, even though his area (up till today) is sales and marketing. Oh well, looks like "Smithers" will be around for a while. Better find a new team to root for.

PTR

If Brandon is in charge of football operations we might as well just suspend the team until it is sold. He has already proven he knows nothing about the football side of things, he needs to stick to the marketing.

If this is true it will be the biggest step backward since we lost our last true GM in John Butler.

RTB

I've got a real bad feeling about all of this

yep.

yep.

You realize that post was from 10am. 2 hours before the announcement where Brandon said he would not be influencing player personnel decisions and would be empowering the football guys to build their team. ???

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/Bills-Transcript--185373322.html

I am going to be real clear about one thing because I know you are going to ask it. I will not be drafting people. I will not be making the final decision on a free agent. I will empower the general manager, Buddy Nix, to do that. Do I have final authority and say? Yes. That is what Buddy Nix, the general manager, does. He identifies personnel. He runs that side of our operation. OK? I cannot be any clearer than that.
Edited by DrDareustein

Hello Everyone...my first post but, I have been lurking for a few years :ph34r:. Imo, the Bills are making much better choices than in the past.

The Bills could have kept Chan, and not give RB full control. Then where would we be? Might not seem like alot to some but, these changes in themselves are big. The org seems more commited to winning than I've seen in the last 20 years. That to me, is progress.

There's an old saying , 'Don't throw the baby out with the bath water' and perhaps, this saying may apply to what kind of changes we are seeing with the Bills these last couple of days.

Happy New Year to All!

Welcome and good for you for coming on board. Now with a post like that, prepare you're teflon suit, People will be coming after you! I agree with your thoughts and certainly see the developments as a huge plus right now. Ralph is not making any decisions. That is a major step in the right direction.

I'm not 100% sure, but the sky might actually be falling. I know it may seem like I'm trying to be funny, but I'm not.

If Ralph actually had the Batphone and called for the Maybin pick or the Whitner pick or the TJ Graham pick, or influenced it in any way, then maybe the gesture of him handing over the keys is important.

My concern is that Nix, the guy Brandon has chosen to lead us to the promised land, is just not very good. Like Gailey, I like him. But he keeps f'n up!! Gailey, Williams, Dareus, Spiller, Gilmore, Graham.

What does Nix have on his BB resume to inspire confidence?

I'm not 100% sure, but the sky might actually be falling. I know it may seem like I'm trying to be funny, but I'm not.

If Ralph actually had the Batphone and called for the Maybin pick or the Whitner pick or the TJ Graham pick, or influenced it in any way, then maybe the gesture of him handing over the keys is important.

My concern is that Nix, the guy Brandon has chosen to lead us to the promised land, is just not very good. Like Gailey, I like him. But he keeps f'n up!! Gailey, Williams, Dareus, Spiller, Gilmore, Graham.

^ another fan who gets it. :)

Right, because he agrees with you...

How does Nix inspire confidence? While it's a positive step in the right direction that Ralph is no longer meddling, I find it hard to believe that the 94 year old Wilson was responsible for the terrible roster decisions made in the past 3 years. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's unfair to characterize it as such. Nix, Gailey and Whaley were responsible. Yet Nix and Whaley remain atop the personnel department? :doh: Only in Buffalo would such blatant ineptitude fly.

Edited by Dawgg

How does Nix inspire confidence? While it's a positive step in the right direction that Ralph is no longer meddling, I find it hard to believe that the 94 year old Wilson was responsible for the terrible roster decisions made in the past 3 years. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's unfair to characterize it as such. Nix, Gailey and Whaley were responsible. Yet Nix and Whaley remain atop the personnel department? :doh: Only in Buffalo would such blatant ineptitude fly.

Please outline these "terrible" roster decisions...

And while you're at it, please ignore anything they've done right (like cleaning house in the scouting system, drafting good players, re-signing their own FAs, etc.)

Pretty much the only deficiency the front office has had in the past 3 years is missing on Dalton, Kaepernick, and Wilson...not good, but falls well short of being a litany of terrible roster decisions as you imply.

Regardless, I'm finished responding to your crusade.

When he took over we had terrible talent and were one of the smaller teams in the league, with terrible trenches, both things of which almost everyone would agree that outside of QB are the two most important elements on a team. Now we have a pretty big team, especially in on the OL. We didn't have a good year on the DL overall but you have no business being on a football board if you don't think a DL with Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Carrington, Mark Anderson et al is a talented bunch, amongst the most talented in the league. Kyle just didn't seem to get over his injury until late. Mario was hurt for five games, Marcel had his tragedy, Anderson was hurt for most of the year. They got terrible coaching and no help from the LBs and injuries everywhere.

Nix has made a bunch of mistakes, clearly. But this team and roster is far, far better than when he got it.

1) building the best bills OL in years

2) re-signing many of the team's best homegrown players

3) being unafraid to address the DL in free agency this past offseason. I think the results sucked in part because nix didn't adequately address the LBs, but the ingredients for a good pass rush are there.

4) smart low risk high reward pickups like chandler, nelson, kyle moore and a host of other good UDFAs.

5) identifying which Jauron regime players needed to stay and which needed to go.

6) bringing in and working with Whaley, stabilizing the player personnel aspect of the team while laying the groundwork for transition.

7) realizing modrak wasnt working out and letting him go.

I stress, at none of these has Nix done a perfect job. And the failures are important to note, too. But I think continuity esp with a HC hire looming is a good thing. We need a good scout more than ever now that it's been all but confirmed we are drafting a QB. it would be extremely difficult to throw someone new into the mix at this point and ask them to do all the important draft scouting while settling in to a new org.

When he took over we had terrible talent and were one of the smaller teams in the league, with terrible trenches, both things of which almost everyone would agree that outside of QB are the two most important elements on a team. Now we have a pretty big team, especially in on the OL. We didn't have a good year on the DL overall but you have no business being on a football board if you don't think a DL with Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Carrington, Mark Anderson et al is a talented bunch, amongst the most talented in the league. Kyle just didn't seem to get over his injury until late. Mario was hurt for five games, Marcel had his tragedy, Anderson was hurt for most of the year. They got terrible coaching and no help from the LBs and injuries everywhere.

Nix has made a bunch of mistakes, clearly. But this team and roster is far, far better than when he got it.

Not to mention the Free Agent gems such as David Nelson, Kraig Urbik, Erik Pears, etc, and all of last years FA signings. Plus he immediately established re-signing our own talent instead of keeping the carousel going.

But it's much easier to piss and moan when you only focus on the 1 or 2 things that didnt go right.

Not to mention the Free Agent gems such as David Nelson, Kraig Urbik, Erik Pears, etc, and all of last years FA signings. Plus he immediately established re-signing our own talent instead of keeping the carousel going.

But it's much easier to piss and moan when you only focus on the 1 or 2 things that didnt go right.

As is often the case, well-stated.

Maybe you're right that the roster is better. As you point out, there were so many holes when he joined and quite frankly it's hard not to be marginally better in certain areas of the team. The operative question is this: after 3 drafts and 3 free agency periods, has Nix done enough to warrant this so-called continuity? I don't think he has. His failure to find a franchise QB (or let a long try), coupled with a number of questionable picks in rounds 2-4, along with a defensive unit that ranks among the worst-performing in franchise history in spite of $150 million in free agency expenditures and a bevy of draft picks, yields a singular conclusion: he needs to go.

He wasn't all bad, no. Not at all. He did a few good things. But "not bad" or "he did a few things" is simply not good enough in this league, nor should it be tolerated by this fan base, let alone ownership. The world isn't black and white and I in no way claim that Buddy Nix is devoid of anything good. I'm simply stating that he has not done enough to warrant staying the course.

And thank you Buddy for those contributions. You helped set the right tone and identified a few solid contributors for this franchise. Are you a championship caliber GM? No, and it's not even close. It'd be great if you could stay on as a scout though! :)

What really scared me is when he said Nix would continue the work hes done over the past three years, yiles! We cant get any lower than last place.

Evaluate the evaluators!

+1

Maybe you're right that the roster is better. As you point out, there were so many holes when he joined and quite frankly it's hard not to be marginally better in certain areas of the team. The operative question is this: after 3 drafts and 3 free agency periods, has Nix done enough to warrant this so-called continuity? I don't think he has. His failure to find a franchise QB (or let a long try), coupled with a number of questionable picks in rounds 2-4, along with a defensive unit that ranks among the worst-performing in franchise history in spite of $150 million in free agency expenditures and a bevy of draft picks, yields a singular conclusion: he needs to go.

He wasn't all bad, no. Not at all. He did a few good things. But "not bad" or "he did a few things" is simply not good enough in this league, nor should it be tolerated by this fan base, let alone ownership. The world isn't black and white and I in no way claim that Buddy Nix is devoid of anything good. I'm simply stating that he has not done enough to warrant staying the course.

And thank you Buddy for those contributions. You helped set the right tone and identified a few solid contributors for this franchise. Are you a championship caliber GM? No, and it's not even close. It'd be great if you could stay on as a scout though! :)

+1

This is a great response. I realize you group Whaley together with Nix, but Jason LaCanfora and Fox Sports' Alex Marvez have independently reported that the transition to Whaley will likely take place immediately following the draft--- Joe Buscaglia has said much the same. It appears Nix is being given a graceful exit to his long football career. I guess we'll find out.

You and Kelly nailed it... :thumbsup:

I would venture a guess that all the pissed off realists are more disappointed in the fact that Littman and Overdorf are staying and that Russ called Littman brilliant. Some how Brandon has become the new poster child of hate and displeasure. A lot of popular opinion was based on the fact that nothing changes until new ownership or Ralph is no longer involved in the decision process. Guess what Ralph passed the torch, he is an absentee landlord now. No restrictions, no financial limitations. Brandon as GM didn't workout so well, but he clearly stated he is staying out of the football side. Give the guy a chance, he sure as hell said the right things. Overdorf is our "cap-ologist" lots of teams had and still have them. He does the contract negotiating - honestly is that even a big friggin deal? Nixd says we want this guy and Overdorf handles the back and forth BS until the contract gets hammered out and agreed to. I would honestly rather have Buddy or Whaley or x GM focus on idnetifying and getting the talent and let our cap guy handle negotiations. It is NOT a big deal as so many make it out to be...

Littman I get, he is the CFO and let's face it, most of us who work for a living and have to deal with accounting know that the bean counters don't understand anything other dollars and cents. Every place of business needs a good finance guy...

Most of the same realists who were clamoring for Caldwell most likely were clamoring for a young and up and comer like Whaley when we hired Nix. Guess what we got NIx and we got an up and comer in Whaley who is held in wide regards around the league. He did some interviews, but his focus is on building the Bills, OUR TEAM, and is no longer interviewing for other openings. The torch from Nix will get passed on to him....Kelly, Dr D and others have clearly show that the picks have gotten better each year under the football side of the house. Let's not lose sight that the Modrak stench wasn't finally eliminated on all levels until the end of the 2011 draft. the entire scouting department was rebuilt, so it is tough to compare all of Nix's drafts....

The big thing is let's get the right coach here, get the QB, WR and LBs we need and move on...

I am neither pissing nor moaning. I am not bitter or angry. When I look at what Nix has done, I am not impressed. He chased his tail at RB. Has IGNORED QB, TE and LB with meaningful draft picks. Yes, he threw a boatload of money at pass rushers, but Anderson was a complete waste and whether Mario Williams has lived up to his billing is irrelevant. What's the POINT in throwing $100 M at the top pass rusher when you don't have a LB on the roster? A guy like him is signed to be the missing piece, not the only piece.

The team is not well constructed.

I am neither pissing nor moaning. I am not bitter or angry. When I look at what Nix has done, I am not impressed. He chased his tail at RB. Has IGNORED QB, TE and LB with meaningful draft picks. Yes, he threw a boatload of money at pass rushers, but Anderson was a complete waste and whether Mario Williams has lived up to his billing is irrelevant. What's the POINT in throwing $100 M at the top pass rusher when you don't have a LB on the roster? A guy like him is signed to be the missing piece, not the only piece.

The team is not well constructed.

Mario - the Bills don't pay to bring in talent. Top FAs won't come here - guess what? They do now! The only way to change a perception is show things are different. Mario was the prize of the FA class and we had no pass rush. So we signed him. That's right, THE TOP FA chose us over the other 31 teams. the Bills paid to get him here, he wants to be here and he helps with our pass rush...What a bonehead move :doh:

RB- Marshawn is one incident away from getting suspended, had run-ins with the B-lo police and even the police in Oakland (Blunts and Guns). Who else at #9 would you take? He was the BPA and look at what he is today...

1) building the best bills OL in years

2) re-signing many of the team's best homegrown players

3) being unafraid to address the DL in free agency this past offseason. I think the results sucked in part because nix didn't adequately address the LBs, but the ingredients for a good pass rush are there.

4) smart low risk high reward pickups like chandler, nelson, kyle moore and a host of other good UDFAs.

5) identifying which Jauron regime players needed to stay and which needed to go.

6) bringing in and working with Whaley, stabilizing the player personnel aspect of the team while laying the groundwork for transition.

7) realizing modrak wasnt working out and letting him go.

I stress, at none of these has Nix done a perfect job. And the failures are important to note, too. But I think continuity esp with a HC hire looming is a good thing. We need a good scout more than ever now that it's been all but confirmed we are drafting a QB. it would be extremely difficult to throw someone new into the mix at this point and ask them to do all the important draft scouting while settling in to a new org.

1. Wood and Levitre were already here. Now Levitre may leave.

2. It's not about signing homegrown talent. It's about signing the RIGHT talent. How do you explain the Fitz contract? The Kelsay contract? If he signs both Byrd and Levitre, I'll give him this one, but he's not 100 % clean on this one.

3. It's his job to contruct the team, if they fail, he fails.

4. None of which helped us win games this year.

5. I would argue that he got rid of the BEST Jauron era players in Lynch and Whitner.....for nothing.

6 and 7. Who knows about Whaley or Modrak. All I know is the results look similar. Missed opportunities in April.

Look, you all can drink the Koolaid all you want, but the Buffalo Bills have done nothing new today. The chairs have been shuffled on deck, but I am skeptical to think these moves will produce different results. I hope I am wrong, but would you be surprised if we are having the Brandon/Nix regime must go conversation in 2 years??

Edited by JPS

Look, you all can drink the Koolaid all you want, but the Buffalo Bills have done nothing new today. The chairs have been shuffled on deck, but I am skeptical to think these moves will produce different results. I hope I am wrong, but would you be surprised if we are having the Brandon/Nix regime must go in 2 years??

^ My sentiments exactly. :)