Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've already seen this act. That's the problem. How can you realistically expect it'll be better this time around?

We haven't seen THIS... It's gone from him being "the football guy" to him being a voice in hiring the football guy during a bad situation and now he is the one hiring the football guy in a better circumstance....

Hopefully that lends itself to a better outcome.

Not saying it definitely will, but hopefully.

Edited by NoSaint

The official rumor is Brandon gets RWs title of president and operational control over all football decisions. This is an unmitigated fin disaster if it's true. Brandon is a joke. He should be tarred and feathered for the damage he has done to this franchise not promoted into a position where he can pour more gasoline onto the fire.

You have no idea who did what at OBD. You are just pulling stuff out of your azz on Brandon.

PTR

Given the extension to Fitz, the resigning of Stevie, the acquisition of Mario and Anderson, the pleas to Cowher and Shanahan, taking care of Freddie, etc - can someone point me to something that says money has been even the slightest factor during the Nix/Gailey regime?

They have not spent money on coaching staff like other teams. This has much more to do with who is guiding certain important decisions with regards to the team. Namely, the head coach. In the past two hires, it was widely known that Ralph was much more comfortable with a HC with prior HC experience even if this meant a lesser "talented" candidate. In fact, Dick Jauron was on the Bills radar going all the way back to when they hired Mularkey. It is no coincidence that he was hired the next time we had an opening. Same thing with Gailey. The Bills, re: Ralph, wanted a guy with prior HC experience and who had an offensive background, not necessarily the most talented coaching candidate. To think Ralph Wilson was not involved in what is essentially the most important hiring decision an NFL franchise will make is ludicrous. He was the driving force behind Marv as GM, Jauron as HC, Jauron having a say in personnel (Aaron Maybin), Buddy Nix as GM, and Gailey as HC.

It is called respect. And it really doesn't matter how it appears to YOU, as long as they have it worked out internally.

It's a shame you can't wrap your mind around letting a life-long football man have 4 more months in the business before he steps aside.

To quote Bill Lumbergh, "I'm going to go ahead and disagree."

Really? Recruiting and selecting a HC candidate is a much different skill and task from scouting and ranking college players, and from evaluating pro personnel.

There are lots of discrete roles available for Whaley and Nix - in fact most NFL teams segment college scounting from pro personnel.

It's always been the responsibility of the GM to select a HC, although teams are developing a different organizational format, like Cleveland, who want their new GM and HC to report to the team president. It appears the Bills may move toward that model. And I am aware personnel includes both the Pro Personnel and College Scouting sides of the personnel house. Typically a GM oversees both with input from the HC who will utilize the players they select.

Wonder if they are going to be announcing the sale of the naming rights to the stadium too?

Seems like everything is changing today.

russ is a marketing guy.....

John Labatt Stadium....

the bills official uniform color will be Labatt Blue.....

We haven't seen THIS... It's gone from him being "the football guy" to him being a voice in hiring the football guy during a bad situation and now he is the one hiring the football guy in a better circumstance....

Hopefully that lends itself to a better outcome.

Not saying it definitely will, but hopefully.

And most importantly....NO MORE RALPH! Isn't that we supposedly wanted?

PTR

Anyone post this yet?

Thurman Thomas@thurmanthomas

This is positive people...stop trying to spin it. It's a new year and great things are happening for the buffalo bills

Sounds like he's talking to us.

PTR

Not to me!!!!! :w00t: I'll gladly believe in Thurman Thomas over Joe "This is terrible" Schmo from Pocono.

If Nix is being transitioned out with an undetermined timetable, what's the sense in hanging on to him? If Whaley is the heir apparent then go with it and don't look back.

Rip the bandaid off all at once.

+1 I don't see the logic in keeping Nix. Just fire the dude and promote Whaley. This is your typical retarded move by the Bills or should I say RW?

I think this is a great day for the Bills.....Russ is a money man and he has to know that the bottom line becomes healthier with a winner. He also knows (I hope) that it takes money to make money....I am cautiously optimistic.......

SDS...I think it's time to split the board and give the haters their own forum to vent.

PTR

I think this is a great day for the Bills.....Russ is a money man and he has to know that the bottom line becomes healthier with a winner. He also knows (I hope) that it takes money to make money....I am cautiously optimistic.......

What fun is a Forum absent of disagreement? Would be pretty boring.

+1 I don't see the logic in keeping Nix. Just fire the dude and promote Whaley. This is your typical retarded move by the Bills or should I say RW?

He's been scouting all year, why wouldn't want to keep that insight a few extra months. As long as its understood behind closed doors - and I'd assume a guy that hired his replacement to train understands this arrangement - what's to lose

this makes some sense to me, although I don't like. Brandon is not a football mind, and should not be fooling with that side of the business. (President or not) Having said that, IF I was planning to have Buddy around a little while longer, and have, say, Whatley take over. AND, I wanted to have Whatley report to Brandon at that time. AND, I wanted to avoid an racial overtones when the change is made, I would have Nix report to Brandon until he is gone, and his replacement Whatley then automatically reporting to Brandon. It would be bad optics to make the promotion and change of reporting at the same time. Anyhow, thats in the for what its worth category.

I think this might not be so far off. Firstly, Ralph hasn't trusted anyone with the Bills as much as he's trusted Russ in a long time. Seems like no matter what the Bills do, Russ still finds a way to keep it profitable. And, as far as Ralph is concerned, that above all proves that Russ can keep the team ALIVE. Secondly, IF Wilson wanted to step down, and IF he did so while leaving Brandon in charge of marketing and finances and Nix in charge of football operations, then it would be clear that within a few years, at most, Whaley would be running the entire football side of things. Now, I think it reflects not a bit on Whaley's skin color, but more on his age and total lack of previous experience that Ralph might not trust his teams in the hands of a young up-and-comer he doesn't really know that well. From Ralph's perspective, this is his way of keeping control without keeping control - by letting someone who's intentions are profit and sustainability above all else, run the team!

All that being said, I like that Russ Brandon met with Gruden. It shows he's out to AT LEAST TRY to make this team relevant. Because, he was either asking Gruden about his interest in coaching, or asking Gruden's advice - and, I like to think that Russ Brandon is not above asking for advice - it's the guys who get in over their heads who refuse to admit they might not know it all that really scare me. I could get excited about a Young Duo in Brandon/Whaley and a younger, fresh coach. I think that WOULD rejuvinate the Bills.

To answer Bills Vet...the reason to keep Nix around is he's done all the scouting so far. Fire him now and you are starting from scratch 4 months before the draft. Then again the Bills could just ask us who we think is good.

PTR

The official rumor is Brandon gets RWs title of president and operational control over all football decisions. This is an unmitigated fin disaster if it's true. Brandon is a joke. He should be tarred and feathered for the damage he has done to this franchise not promoted into a position where he can pour more gasoline onto the fire.

yes. the organization has become a bit of a joke, and it is correlated with Brandon's ascension.