Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chip Kelly is high risk/high reward. Either you like that idea for a coach, or you don't.

If you want the opportunity to be at the forefront of innovation in the NFL, you hire Chip. If you like the idea of all NFL talk being on Buffalo, you hire Chip. If you like the idea of maybe winning a Superbowl, you hire Chip.

If you want to stay the course and give up some of that opportunity in favor of predictability, you don't hire Chip.

I think Chip in the NFL would be like Hitler in WWII. Hitler was an unbelievable risk taker. Some of his wildest successes resulted from those risks, as did some of his most horrible blunders.

I say go for it baby! Roll the Panzers into the Ardennes and let's see if we can conquer France in a few weeks...

I'm was with you here--right up until you rolled out the Hitler comparison.

One point you make though bears repeating and I'm not sure I've seen others here make it: Hiring Chip will make the Bills relevant again. Some people will love it; others will hate it, but It will generate excitement and passion both locally and on a national level. I think that is something this franchise desperately needs.

I'm was with you here--right up until you rolled out the Hitler comparison.

One point you make though bears repeating and I'm not sure I've seen others here make it: Hiring Chip will make the Bills relevant again. Some people will love it; others will hate it, but It will generate excitement and passion both locally and on a national level. I think that is something this franchise desperately needs.

What's wrong with the Hitler analogy? The German invasion of France in 1940 remains one of the most staggeringly impressive military accomplishments in the history of warfare. Yet at the time it was an almost impossibly risky, and completely unpredictable undertaking.

If we Bills fans want to continue to wallow in mediocrity, do the safe thing.

If you want to shake the world, take a few chances.

Bellichick picked his brain a few times and incorporated a few of Kelly's ideas into his own offense, with tremendous results.

Gruden went to Oregon and almost took a job on the team so he could learn Kelly's offense.

Before last season, Erik Spoelstra, coach of the Miami Heat, went to Kelly's practices to learn what he could about improving his fast break from Kelly's hurry up, and attributed what he learned from kelly to part of the Heat's successful Championship run.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7378111/nba-oregon-ducks-football-muse-erik-spoelstra-miami-heat

That strongly suggests to me like Kelly is more of an innovator and possible revolutionary than gimmick. Does it guarantee success in the NFL? Of course not. But some very successful coaches and minds are coming to him to learn stuff, and then put it into their own styles. That should tell you something.

Bellichick picked his brain a few times and incorporated a few of Kelly's ideas into his own offense, with tremendous results.

Gruden went to Oregon and almost took a job on the team so he could learn Kelly's offense.

Before last season, Erik Spoelstra, coach of the Miami Heat, went to Kelly's practices to learn what he could about improving his fast break from Kelly's hurry up, and attributed what he learned from kelly to part of the Heat's successful Championship run.

http://espn.go.com/n...stra-miami-heat

That strongly suggests to me like Kelly is more of an innovator and possible revolutionary than gimmick. Does it guarantee success in the NFL? Of course not. But some very successful coaches and minds are coming to him to learn stuff, and then put it into their own styles. That should tell you something.

A good, informative post.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7378111/nba-oregon-ducks-football-muse-erik-spoelstra-miami-heat

He'd be great. Lest we forget, one of the Bills' biggest problems for over a decade is that they're a fundamentally boring team.

And who ever said he was going to bring the exact same style offense to Buffalo? In the you tube clip a few pages back, right at the end he says something like : you have to build your team around the players you have. If the strength of our team was a power running game, we would be in the I formation. It's not about the style of offense. It's about being an innovator and being on the cutting edge for once!!!!

One more point. How many of his offensive players have gone to the pros? drafted? Not many if any. It's about the system and matchups on the field. They guy just flat out gets it. Its not about the players. It's about putting them in a position to succeed.

And who ever said he was going to bring the exact same style offense to Buffalo? In the you tube clip a few pages back, right at the end he says something like : you have to build your team around the players you have. If the strength of our team was a power running game, we would be in the I formation. It's not about the style of offense. It's about being an innovator and being on the cutting edge for once!!!!

One more point. How many of his offensive players have gone to the pros? drafted? Not many if any. It's about the system and matchups on the field. They guy just flat out gets it. Its not about the players. It's about putting them in a position to succeed.

Couldn't agree more with you.

And on that note, the Fiesta Bowl is about to start! interesting to see Oregon and Chip tonight in the context of all this talk about him.

The mere threat of Oregon's offense, and the quick 8-0 score, is pressuring Kansas State already. That's an anxiety I've felt as a Bills fan watching Brady, Bellichick & company as they get warmed up early in games. It'd be nice to recapture that explosive intimidation factor, as in the K-Gun era.

You know what is crazy about this thread... about 95% of the people commenting don't follow PAC 12 football. Kelly does more with less than USC, UCLA, UA, A State, Stanford, Cal, etc. He is an amazing coach that takes advantage of his talent. In my opinion, perfect guy for Buffalo. He is a winner, with something to prove! That is what we need. Get a young guy that wants to create a legacy. No to retreads!!!

I'm surprised there are so many against hiring Chip Kelly. We're all entitled to our own opinions and strong arguments have been provided on both sides, but put me in the "hire Chip" camp. I think it would bring a ton of energy to the team with a great mind at the helm. There's no way to know how any coach will turn out, but I'd be much more optimistic with Chip than with one of the many previous NFL head coaches (except for Cowher, etc).

You know what is crazy about this thread... about 95% of the people commenting don't follow PAC 12 football. Kelly does more with less than USC, UCLA, UA, A State, Stanford, Cal, etc. He is an amazing coach that takes advantage of his talent. In my opinion, perfect guy for Buffalo. He is a winner, with something to prove! That is what we need. Get a young guy that wants to create a legacy. No to retreads!!!

I'm sorry, but I do not think he has less than UCLA, UA, A State, or Cal. That being said, I think he's a fantastic football coach, and I would love to hire him.

-a Stanford fan

Edited by NickelCity

As others have pointed out, you're very wrong.

Also besides Harbaugh's 2 years as an NFL assistant, he played quarterback for 15 years in the NFL.

He was a 4 year letterman as the Michigan QB and was an All-American.

Chip Kelly didn't even play college football.

So you want to play it "safe"?

I'm surprised there are so many against hiring Chip Kelly. We're all entitled to our own opinions and strong arguments have been provided on both sides, but put me in the "hire Chip" camp. I think it would bring a ton of energy to the team with a great mind at the helm. There's no way to know how any coach will turn out, but I'd be much more optimistic with Chip than with one of the many previous NFL head coaches (except for Cowher, etc).

I want to say I'm surprised but I'm really not. The same fans that are obsessively whining about espn/media talking heads are also brainwashed by many of their garbage cliches. "Experience! Players won't respect him! Playing %'s means punting even though it rarely does!" Blah blah.

Plus there is a defense mechanism. Like "[girl I have no shot with] isn't that hot anyway."

Edited by BuffOrange

I'm not against hiring Chip Kelly.

But I have serious reservations about him.

I don't think anyone that is advocating Kelly doesn't have reservations about him. For me (obviously on the Kelly bandwagon) this is all about taking the first step in proving that the Bills are truly committed to changing the way things are done around OBD. Kelly provides the highest reward possibility, IMO, of any candidate out there. Lets swing for the fences and take a chance on a up and comer that by all accounts is changing the way the game is being played.

I don't think anyone that is advocating Kelly doesn't have reservations about him. For me (obviously on the Kelly bandwagon) this is all about taking the first step in proving that the Bills are truly committed to changing the way things are done around OBD. Kelly provides the highest reward possibility, IMO, of any candidate out there. Lets swing for the fences and take a chance on a up and comer that by all accounts is changing the way the game is being played.

This. How many times do we say, "Damn, I wish we took that chance!" (think RGIII)

If Chip Kelly brings that uptempo offense to Buffalo, wouldn't all the Bills get "winded?"

:)

Great point!

Spiller wouldn't last one quarter in that offense!

:)

The same fans that are obsessively whining about espn/media talking heads are also brainwashed by many of their garbage cliches. "Experience! Players won't respect him! Playing %'s means punting even though it rarely does!" Blah blah.

Plus there is a defense mechanism. Like "[girl I have no shot with] isn't that hot anyway."

Stop trying to brainwash me.

I've already been brainwashed by ESPN.

The Bills are going all in on Chip Kelly tomorrow. If he's not our new coach by Saturday, Lovie will be by Monday, imo.

Please, then, get me to Monday.

I don't think Kelly's style will work well with veterans over the college players he has today. I'd hope that anyone coming in would be hired as a head coach and not also a coordinator for either the offense or the defense.

I don't think Kelly's style will work well with veterans over the college players he has today. I'd hope that anyone coming in would be hired as a head coach and not also a coordinator for either the offense or the defense.

There's a YouTube video a couple pages back that has Kelly saying something along the lines of needing to design the offense around the players you have. He said he would run a power I system if his players fit that. Kelly will adapt his system according to the roster by all indications.

They can have Bill O'Brien. If he's the type of guy to, after ONE SEASON into preaching hope and convincing kids to give Penn State a try, leave; I certainly hope the Bills aren't considering him.

Honestly, I don't see what's so great about the Cleveland job. I'd think we'd have the advantage with Chip having the ability to choose his QB in the draft or free agency, instead of being saddled with Brandon Weeden. I'd also think C.J. Spiller would be a more enticing offensive weapon for him than Trent Richardson.

I agreed with this last night and I'm glad to read this:

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Source confirms Bill O'Brien is staying at Penn St. That was fast. Had interviewed with Browns this week

There's a YouTube video a couple pages back that has Kelly saying something along the lines of needing to design the offense around the players you have. He said he would run a power I system if his players fit that. Kelly will adapt his system according to the roster by all indications.

If the Bills hire him and he's successful, nobody would be happier than me to admit that I was wrong. I just don't have a good feeling about him as a head coach and he obviously won't come as a coordinator.

we ran the wildcat offence, the players just have to give it a chance

I have reservations about every candidate. I just want to take a chance for once and see what happens.

I agree on both points, especially on taking a chance, I am sick of the Bills playing it "Safe" its has gotten the team nowhere in 12 years

Wow - just read the story:

O'Brien acknowledged that PSU donor Terry Pegula, financier of the new Penn State hockey arena, has been a major ally in his efforts. Pegula was the first person who contacted O'Brien in late 2011 when he was eventually interviewed for the job.

Though O'Brien was not specific about it, high-level PSU sources have told me that Pegula donated a $1.3 million gift to be added to O'Brien's salary in the coming year that will bump his total compensation to $3.6 million and place him behind only Ohio State's Urban Meyer and Iowa's Kirk Ferentz as the third-highest-paid coach in the Big Ten.