Lovie Smith for HC!

rcatty

I'm curious about why his teams seem to have such up and downs. I haven't followed him with the Bears close enough to know if their were mitigating factors. It does seem like there were issues with the former GM as well.

He does have one thing I'd like in a coach, he has the ability to attract coordinators.

Mike Tice is considered here to be a major bust as a coordinator in Chicago. The Bears have tremendous talent on their roster except for needing a couple of o-lineman. defense, loaded. Special teams, loaded. Offense, Forte, Marshall and Cutler. Cutler IMO is very talented. Did better under Martz.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, by the way, when whaley does become the GM eventually, "the git 'er done, buddy" thing is not gonna be as effective. Can I suggest "Whale on it!!!" When we want him to get on something? Example: "what? a two time probowl QB is not gonna hit the open market? WHALE ON THAT!!!"

I suggest "THAR SHE BLOWS!!!"

I've been a bills fan all my life, and lived in Chicago for the past 13 years. Bears fans are idiots. I think it may be a byproduct of a large market town where you have a large group of so called "rabid fans" that really don't know or understand football the way the average Bills fan does. They ran lovie out of town after a 10-6 season, a Super Bowl visit with a nonexistant offense and subpar QB (sound familiar?...(the offense and subpar part, not the SB part)) and a ridiculously good W-L ratio, when the real problem was the person in charge of organizing personnel. Lovie was handicapped by a retarded GM that sold the farm for some skill players while ignoring the real backbone of a team, the O-Line. If Lovie and the bears had our RB duo and o-line, they could arguably be in the Super Bowl. We would be idiots to not pursue Lovie

yes, fully agree. Lovie rarely had a team talented in all groups. Spend on Peppers (good idea), ignore that the LB's are getting old (bad idea). Acquire Marshall, ignore the OL. Underwhelming Carimi. It is no wonder that early rumors point to the Bears aggressively pursuing Levitre.

having said that, if we hire Lovie, I still want dedicated OC and DC to help him out. I think the HC should do just one job.

I'm curious to know why he is reaching out to us? Is it because he isn't getting many takers or because he really does like the team and the area. He and Reid have the best record and the tenure. For me, I think he would provide the best hope if he can get an offensive coordinator.

I'm pretty sure all of us would take a 10-6 record, especially considering he went up against the Vikings and Packers twice who made the playoffs.

Him, the SU coach, or Ken are my top 3

I think the Martz hiring was a mistake but it did show that Lovie would hire a OC with credentials and past HC experience. He didn't put his head in the sand saying " I know everything, bring in a lackey that will do my bidding." The problem with Martz's system is that it relies on a passing game that requires very good pass protection. Maybe Lovie should have realized that the Bears didn't have it and then gone in another direction.

Lovie with a strong OC (a guy who can develop QBs) would far and away be my pick, of all the names being floated.

This just isn't supported by Lovie's track record. He has failed 3 or 4 times with regards to hiring a capable OC and his offenses were never better than 19th. I like Lovie, but I don't think he fits what the Bills need especially if they actually upgrade the QB position with a young guy.

I like the idea of hiring Lovie. Would love it if we could pair him with Tom Cable as the OC. It would be a promotion for Cable as he is currently O-Line coach in Seattle, than again Cable may very well interview for a few HC positions or be happier to stay in Seattle as O-line coach. There are also may be some more glamorous OC jobs available to him.

I'm curious to know why he is reaching out to us? Is it because he isn't getting many takers or because he really does like the team and the area. He and Reid have the best record and the tenure. For me, I think he would provide the best hope if he can get an offensive coordinator.

I'm pretty sure all of us would take a 10-6 record, especially considering he went up against the Vikings and Packers twice who made the playoffs.

Him, the SU coach, or Ken are my top 3

Lovie as HC with Norv Turner as the OC would be good. Norv will get the best out of Spiller and Jackson like he did with Tomlinson, Gore, Emmit Smith, (and even the scrub RB in Miami for two seasons). The question is: Does Lovie have an experience coordinator to run this piss-poor defense.

Edited by ganesh

Why does everybody keep talking about them together? Do they have some sort of connection?

Norv's brother Ron was one of Lovie's OCs in Chicago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Turner_(American_football)

Strangely, this fact is mentioned in Norv's wiki entry but not Ron's.

Actually it is in both of their entries.

From what I've read, seems the complaint in Chicago is that things just seemed stale or "old". No thanks. If that's the feeling he left everyone with in Chicago, I'm sure he'd bring that to Buffalo with him. No thank you.

The word on the street here w/many fans is that as a "player's coach" he just doesn't get fire-up too much and is too mellow... WOULD be great if you can take a guy like Lovie and mix in a little high motor Ditka, Cowher, or Gruden. Lovie is too laid back and mellow. Heck even in his hayday, Marv had brought more energy to the sidelines! Maybe this is where the stale and old part come in?

Norv's brother Ron was one of Lovie's OCs in Chicago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Turner_(American_football)

Strangely, this fact is mentioned in Norv's wiki entry but not Ron's.

Actually it is in both of their entries.

It is Wiki... Who knows who is editing it and what is right...

Why does everybody keep talking about them together? Do they have some sort of connection?

Also as he's deep down his own list of offensive connections - norv being a SD connection makes a little sense, potentially. The old "hey what about this guy" coming from buddy

Guessing the latter. He has had four teams reach out to him according to several NFL beat reporters.

Personally, I prefer Whiz to Lovie. No more Tampa-2 defense wearing down as the season progresses. Chicago fans know all about that, and so do we.

the only reason the bears defense and team "wore" down as the season progressed is simple: they're an older, veteran defense. That being said, the bears defense finished 3rd in pts/game and 5th in yds/game for the season.

I'll take Lovie's defenses that finish in the top 10 in every significant statistical category every single year for the next decade over anything else at this point.

if the bears had an o-line, they'd be in the playoffs for sure. their lack of an o-line has more to do with the GM than it does with lovie.

Edited by bobobonators