Lovie Smith for HC!

rcatty

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam Schefter today on Mike and Mike In the Morning predicted that Lovie Smith would not be rehired as a head coach this offseason. He said with the league's newish, intense focus on offense, defensive minded coaches are now going to have a difficult time getting into head coaching positions. But Belichick was brought up as an example of an old DC who now runs an offensive powerhouse.

Adam Schefter today on Mike and Mike In the Morning predicted that Lovie Smith would not be rehired as a head coach this offseason. He said with the league's newish, intense focus on offense, defensive minded coaches are now going to have a difficult time getting into head coaching positions. But Belichick was brought up as an example of an old DC who now runs an offensive powerhouse.

Not sure what Schefter is talking about since the majority of teams that have won the SB the last decade or so have HC's that are defensive-minded: Belichick, Tomlin, Coughlin, Dungy.

Not sure what Schefter is talking about since the majority of teams that have won the SB the last decade or so have HC's that are defensive-minded: Belichick, Tomlin, Coughlin, Dungy.

I agree with you, but I think the argument is that the league is becoming more and more focused on offense so the teams are looking to move that way. And it could be said that the aforementioned Tomlin and Coughlin were bounced from the playoffs this year by teams with better offenses.

By the way, Lovie Smith is my pick for head coach, among those candidates I think are realistic.

I am a lifelong Bills fan and have lived in Chicago for over 20 years. Do not hire Lovie as HC, that would set us back another 4 years.

What do you base that on? We have other Bills fans who live in Chicago posting here exactly the opposite.

...But Belichick was brought up as an example of an old DC who now runs an offensive powerhouse.

I know you are just quoting what was said but...Belichick happens to have a future HoF QB at the helm.

More often than not, a great QB makes coaches look great.

I know you are just quoting what was said but...Belichick happens to have a future HoF QB at the helm.

That is the truest thing ever said. God I can't agree with anything ever said on this board more.

Good Lord, No Lovie. Absolutely not. Those of us in Chicago know that Lovie should have been canned a couple years ago. He's underschieved given the talent he's had.

Yea "Underachieved". You realize he was fired because Minnesota beat GB. A game that Lovie had no control over. The Bears finished with a 10-6 record this year with the worst O line in the league. The Bears were hit with injury after injury and still managed to win 10 games. I'd have to give credit to the coaches.

Also many of the Bears greats and players, analysts say this is a terrible move for Chicago, and disagree with your sentiments regarding Lovei.

That is the truest thing ever said. God I can't agree with anything ever said on this board more.

And it ignores the fact that some coaches are inexorable, insistent, and fanatical about finding their quarterback (ie- Pete Carroll, Mike Shanahan)

Then there are those coaches who just kinda hope one falls into their laps.

Or believe that they can take any old QB and make it work.

Havent read all 12 pages so not sure if it's been posted, but I found this pretty comprehensive post which looks back on Lovie's tenure with the Bears.

http://www.dabears.com/showthread.php?46016-Lovie-Smith-A-Look-Back-at-Mediocrity

Lovie made a habit of beating up on weak opponents while losing to GOOD ones. If you got the sense of that this season, and felt that it was the same story, just a different year, then you were right...the Bears have ALWAYS struggled against tough opponents under Lovie Smith, and have typically steamrolled through cupcakes. And as i pointed out, even his greatest triumph: the 2006 SB season, was not all that great. We got there through one of the easiest schedules in the league, combined with easy playoff opponents (even then we barely won them).

If you are willing to settle for mediocrity, then Lovie is your guy. If you want more though, then its time for a change.

Lots of it sounds fairly familiar. Not sure if that means Lovie would be more of the "Same Ol Bills", or if all fans on the internet make the same complaints...

Havent read all 12 pages so not sure if it's been posted, but I found this pretty comprehensive post which looks back on Lovie's tenure with the Bears.

http://www.dabears.c...k-at-Mediocrity

Lots of it sounds fairly familiar. Not sure if that means Lovie would be more of the "Same Ol Bills", or if all fans on the internet make the same complaints...

Wins and losses aside for a moment, the crux of the biscuit with Lovie is quite simple:

Based on the talent level of the rosters provided by Jerry Angelo (and one season of Phil Emery), did his teams overachieve or did they underachieve?

The other thing you judge a head coach on is who did he hire (or who was hired for him)?

Wins and losses aside for a moment, the crux of the biscuit with Lovie is quite simple:

Based on the talent level of the rosters provided by Jerry Angelo (and one season of Phil Emery), did his teams overachieve or did they underachieve?

The other thing you judge a head coach on is who did he hire (or who was hired for him)?

This is true. I cant necessarily blame Lovie for the Bears FO failings in drafting/building the OL. However, I can blame Lovie for hiring and sticking with Martz and Tice. Two guys that, if either came to Buffalo, I'd stop watching.

I truly believe that while the HC hire is important, the bigger deal will be who they hire as OC and DC. And to take it one step further, they will ALL live and die by who we bring in at QB.

Regardless of which HC we hire, I believe we need a "Leader of Men" who will hire strong Coordinators so the HC can manage his players and Coordinators, and let them perform while he steers the ship.

The good news is, neither Lovie now the Whis seem like guys who are wanna-be-Coordinators. They let their Coordinators call the shots and just keep them in check.

I do think that we have to keep in mind what talent we have, and who is the best fit to maximize that.

Would I love for the Bills to be an offensive powerhouse? Hell yes. Are we built for that right now? Hell no.

Do we have a very solid front four, an elite safety and a developing CB corps? Yes, I think we do. You wouldn't guess it from our stats, but we haottve some very talented players.

How about our run game? Spiller is lightning in a bolttle, but he needs to be used creatively in order to keep him from getting worn out. Jackson is still great at moving the pile. I kept saying during last offseason "we need to find a way to run both effectively" and we barely did it. Shockingly, when we did, we tended to win. With our quietly solid O-line, we should be able to do some great things.

So, when you mention a coach with a winning record, a proven track record with getting the most out the defense, a propensity to run the ball and a DESIRE to come to Buffalpo I start drooling.

By no means stop searching, but Lovie Smith definitely deserves a shot. I can't think of any fired coaches who would be a better fit, any assistants currently in the playoffs who we can count on to be lured away to a franchise with a 13 year playoff drought and any college coaches who wouldn't be a roll of the dice.

So I will say what I did last night... Lovie Smith went to the SUPER BOWL with REX GROSSMAN at quarterback. If that is not the exact opposite of what normally happens, I don't know what is. All the MORE reason to hire this guy. NOW.

I truly believe that while the HC hire is important, the bigger deal will be who they hire as OC and DC. And to take it one step further, they will ALL live and die by who we bring in at QB.

Regardless of which HC we hire, I believe we need a "Leader of Men" who will hire strong Coordinators so the HC can manage his players and Coordinators, and let them perform while he steers the ship.

The good news is, neither Lovie now the Whis seem like guys who are wanna-be-Coordinators. They let their Coordinators call the shots and just keep them in check.

In another thread Bandit and mrags were talking about hiring a leader and not so much an Xs and Os guy.

Yes, the coordinator positions in any hire are critical (as are keeping them under good oversight).

We don't want a repeat of the Curtis Modkins-George Edwards fiasco.

In hindsight that should have told me all I needed to know about the Gailey hiring.

The Bears went 10-6 this year! 10-6!! Can someone remind me the last time the Bills won 10 games in one season?

Not to mention Ditka thinks it was stupid to get rid of a coach that was winning-

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1802589

I think Lovie is by far the best option available. Git er done Buddy!

Edited by ldandria