Lovie Smith for HC!

rcatty

In another thread Bandit and mrags were talking about hiring a leader and not so much an Xs and Os guy.

Yes, the coordinator positions in any hire are critical (as are keeping them under good oversight).

We don't want a repeat of the Curtis Modkins-George Edwards fiasco.

In hindsight that should have told me all I needed to know about the Gailey hiring.

what can you do.... i think everyone, even you, knew there questions there but you have to hope for the best. edwards was a huge question mark, but Gailey as defacto OC (bringing his own playbook, calling plays) helped with the modkins evaluation...

ultimately they are all at this level because they are talented smart football guys, so its easy to hope....

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to figure out what people think happens to good teams? Do you think they beat all the other good teams? If so, how are the elite teams losing 3-4 games a season? If a team loses 3-4 games a season those losses tend to come to the other good teams. I'd guess most of these "elite" teams are winning about half of their games against other good teams. Most of their wins come against cupcakes.

Take a look at NE this year. Their record against playoff teams is 3-3. Beat the bad teams and split with the good ones and that's a recipe for a first round bye. Beat the bad teams and lose to most of the good ones and you're still in the playoffs.

I'm trying to figure out what people think happens to good teams? Do you think they beat all the other good teams? If so, how are the elite teams losing 3-4 games a season? If a team loses 3-4 games a season those losses tend to come to the other good teams. I'd guess most of these "elite" teams are winning about half of their games against other good teams. Most of their wins come against cupcakes.

Take a look at NE this year. Their record against playoff teams is 3-3. Beat the bad teams and split with the good ones and that's a recipe for a first round bye. Beat the bad teams and lose to most of the good ones and you're still in the playoffs.

yup. beat the bad teams, and succeed in your division is the quickest way. steal a couple head to head wins against teams in the same boat and you end up with a top seed.

I like the defensive rankings and record, which is why I'd like Smith and Marinelli (4th, 14th, and 3rd in PPG the last 3 years), but balk at the record against playoff teams. How much of that was due to OC'ing and lack of players (OL specifically) is what I want to know.,

Havent read all 12 pages so not sure if it's been posted, but I found this pretty comprehensive post which looks back on Lovie's tenure with the Bears.

http://www.dabears.c...k-at-Mediocrity

Lots of it sounds fairly familiar. Not sure if that means Lovie would be more of the "Same Ol Bills", or if all fans on the internet make the same complaints...

i think it's closer to all fans make the same complaints. that post is pretty biased if you ask me. it knocks the 2006 season by saying that they had an easy regular season schedule, and then it knocks their wins in the playoffs saying that the playoff teams were weak. lol. not very objective if you ask me.

we had one of the easiest schedules this season and here we are at 6-10.

Lovie Smith has a pretty substantial winning record as a HC in the NFL. That fact alone sets him apart from the coaches the bills have hired in the last 10 years. And it hasn't been until recently that he actually had a decent QB. I guess you could knock him for not being able to develop a QB all those years prior to Cutler, but how much blame should the GM take for that as well on draft day? He took Grossman to the super bowl for crying out loud.

Lovie Smith's defenses have finished in the top 4 in points against three times since 2006. Defense - something the bills finished near last in every single statistical category the last 2 years.

The Bills: horrible, horrible defense and a history of losing. Lovie: a great defensive mind and a proven track record of winning (as a HEAD COACH - not just coordinator) in the NFL. Sounds pretty much like a no-brainer to me.

Edited by bobobonators

I've been a bills fan all my life, and lived in Chicago for the past 13 years. Bears fans are idiots. I think it may be a byproduct of a large market town where you have a large group of so called "rabid fans" that really don't know or understand football the way the average Bills fan does. They ran lovie out of town after a 10-6 season, a Super Bowl visit with a nonexistant offense and subpar QB (sound familiar?...(the offense and subpar part, not the SB part)) and a ridiculously good W-L ratio, when the real problem was the person in charge of organizing personnel. Lovie was handicapped by a retarded GM that sold the farm for some skill players while ignoring the real backbone of a team, the O-Line. If Lovie and the bears had our RB duo and o-line, they could arguably be in the Super Bowl. We would be idiots to not pursue Lovie and even more stupid to not give him what he wants if he is interested in coming here (let's be honest, we have not exactly been the most desirable of landing spots in the past). yes, Lovie needs help with the offense, but the people he picked were successful in the past, but no one can be successful when u have a pro-bowl caliber QB that needs to run for his life on every play. I have 3 words... GIT 'ER DONE!!!

oh, by the way, when whaley does become the GM eventually, "the git 'er done, buddy" thing is not gonna be as effective. Can I suggest "Whale on it!!!" When we want him to get on something? Example: "what? a two time probowl QB is not gonna hit the open market? WHALE ON THAT!!!"

Just a thought from a man without a plan.

agree 100%. been living far west of chi for 20+.

Honestly, I could get with Lovie. A huge problem with the Bills is we have no identity. I'd love to have a dominant defense. Imagine our d line under Lovie? Plus, his biggest problem was having no oline and he'd inherit a very good one.

Lovie and Norv Turner for OC could definitely work for me.

Just heard on WGR that Lovie will interview with the Bills this weekend.

Good. It's funny how no one wants to come here yet every candidate seems to want to interview. Cutler is so overrated and they had a terrible oline. I could without a doubt live with Lovie as head coach if he brings a great offensive mind with him.

If the Bills signed Lovie as the HC and then drafted ILB Mante Te'o think of how could the defense would be. High scoring offenses are great, but I would take a top 5 slobber knocker defense over that any day. Teams can't beat you if they can't score on you, plus defenses can score. The fastest way for the Bills into the playoffs is with a killer Defense. People want offense, but seriously there is not a QB to be had in the draft or free agency that will bring that to the team. Play top five Defense and Special Teams, then give the ball to Spiller. That is the way to go.

Edited by bisonbrigade

I'd be very happy with Lovie Smith as our new head coach; although, I think I may be happier with Lovie as our DC and Chip Kelly as our head coach. #JustSaying

A guy who coached a team to the SB most likely won't be a DC to a college head coach. I'd love it but it's highly unlikely.

If the Bills signed Lovie as the HC and then drafted ILB Mante Te'o think of how could the defense would be. High scoring offenses are great, but I would take a top 5 slobber knocker defense over that any day. Teams can't beat you if they can't score on you, plus defenses can score. The fastest way for the Bills into the playoffs is with a killer Defense. People want offense, but seriously there is not a QB to be had in the draft or free agency that will bring that to the team. Play top five Defense and Special Teams, then give the ball to Spiller. That is the way to go.

Honestly, besides the defenses, we may actually have a more talented roster than the Bears. For the most part, cold weather cities have football teams built on defense. Buffalo has no identity. I want Geno Smith or Barkley but if they aren't there, Te'O and a guy like say Aaron Murray would be an awesome score.

A guy who coached a team to the SB most likely won't be a DC to a college head coach. I'd love it but it's highly unlikely.

I get that, but once hired Chip Kelly is an NFL coach. Lovie will look for a good opportunity no matter what. There may not be a better opportunity for a DC than the Bills right now. The one downside would be we'd likely only have Lovie for a single season, as someone would hire him away next season. It would be important to give him the assistant head coach title, so he could only leave for a head coach position.