Lovie Smith for HC!

rcatty

Doesn't adjust game plans after halftime and NEVER holds players accountable. Jeez H Chriminey, have we not had enough of that crap!? The players love him because they are always safe. What was his main goal when hired - beat the Packers. How did that work out? I MAY want him for DC but head coach? Ugh......

Well would you agree that it's hard to beat a more talented team with better quarterbacking?

If Brett Favre was on the Bears and Rex Grossman on the Packers, who do you think would be winning those games?

Have you read through this thread and all the Jerry Angelo stuff?

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't adjust game plans after halftime and NEVER holds players accountable. Jeez H Chriminey, have we not had enough of that crap!? The players love him because they are always safe. What was his main goal when hired - beat the Packers. How did that work out? I MAY want him for DC but head coach? Ugh......

Bears GM Jerry Angelo vs Packers GM Ted Thompson. Big Advantage Packers. In spite of talent differential, Bears won three division titles under Lovie. How many division crowns have the Bills even sniffed in the last 9 years? A big Fat ZERO

They could hire much worse than Lovie with his 81-63 record.

Well would you agree that it's hard to beat a more talented team with better quarterbacking?

If Brett Favre was on the Bears and Rex Grossman on the Packers, who do you think would be winning those games?

Have you read through this thread and all the Jerry Angelo stuff?

I have not read the whole thread and yes, he has done pretty well with not the greatest of qbs. Chicago is one of the teams I hear A LOT about from people there and it's is eerily familiar to the problems here. New, fresh up and comer who holds people accountable and dare I say .........shows a little fire.

As for your "not exactly Coach of the Year" comment, Lovie Smith did win that honor when he led the 2005 Bears to an 11-5 record with a rookie 4th round quarterback named Kyle Orton.

The following year he coached the Bears to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as the starting QB.

And remind me how that year turned out? Oh, right, he lost to a team that was handpicked by Polian - the guy we fired back in '93...

I have not read the whole thread and yes, he has done pretty well with not the greatest of qbs. Chicago is one of the teams I hear A LOT about from people there and it's is eerily familiar to the problems here. New, fresh up and comer who holds people accountable and dare I say .........shows a little fire.

Well I could be wrong but IMO Smith is a guy who has gotten the most out of his players.

There are complaints I've heard that he's a "player's coach" but you have to distinguish between "player's coaches" whose players play hard for them and those whose players don't play hard for them. I've rarely seen a bad effort from Smith's Bears. It looks to me like he holds his players accountable.

As far as showing fire, I think that's overrated. As I recently mentioned elsewhere Rod Marinelli, Les Steckel, and Frank Gansz were all fiery coaches who couldn't win football games.

I think Smith has been an excellent coach and that the Bills would be lucky to get him.

JMO.

And remind me how that year turned out? Oh, right, he lost to a team that was handpicked by Polian - the guy we fired back in '93...

Peyton Manning vs Rex Grossman.

You're not bolstering your credibility here.

The very fact that the Bears made the Super Bowl is a testament to excellent coaching.

Hmmm, Peyton Manning vs Rex is Grossman....Okay now. :rolleyes: Polian is a HOF worthy GM that lead three teams to successful runs. You're showing yourself to be a lightweight WRT Football knowledge.

I'd love to upgrade from whiny fan that isn't .500 to whiny fan that is consistently in the playoffs.

so you "hear" a lot, but have no actual knowledge from following the Bears? if you actually watched the team you'd know that Lovie is completely intolerant of slackers. just ask Tim Jennings, Devin Aromashodu, Matt Forte, Gabe Carimi, Tommy Harris, Major Wright, Zack Bowman, Devin Hester....Those are only the benchings and I could go on for awhile since he was with us for 9 years. Won't even go into the Tank Johnson and Cedric Benson years.

no, Lovie is not a hothead and honestly, I was good with that. I much prefer someone I can respect than a circus freak like Rex Ryan or Jim Schwartz. but hey, if that's what you're looking for, to each his own, I guess.

Would we have to go back to looking for quick light defensive linemen?

Their DEs have been Julius Peppers, Israel Idonije, Corey Wooton and Shea McClellin.

The first three area all tall, rangy guys all 6'6" and 6'7" and all between 270 and 290. McClellin is kind of a Kelsay sized player.

The Bears have been very different from the Freeney/Mathis model that Indy used to use.

The tackles are Melton and Paea who are both Kyle Williams type players.

another thing thats important to think about.

Lovie would attract some free agents to Buffalo.

And he could hire a decent staff. If you get some assistant, he will have to hire no name assistants that hopefully are good. Lovie has coat tails. His assistants would be guys that can coach. Look at the schmucks that Chan and Dick brought to town. A Lovie or Ried or Schottenhiemer or Billick could bring good assistants and some players with him.

Good point Bufcomments.

I like the Lovie idea. Maybe he could take the DL talent we have on paper and make it actally perform like it did on paper on the field. And he likes the run.We have the talent for the run. Our OL is about 1 RT away from being a dominate OL if we keep our FA. We are a QB and two LB.s away from a playoff team. The only disclaimer is he needs to find a hungry young up and coming OC to deal with the offense and limit himself to the defense, he is too conservative and slow on offense. He has to keep away from micro managing the offense and let the OC run things within reason.

Remember the Bears- Arizona game on Monday night football. You know the game. It produced the famous Coach Dennis Green comment...."crown their ass...we know who they are". That was the game when the Bears whipped the Cardinals in the second half, taking the ball away several times. Remember ? Ever see a Bills team do that ? Take it on faith, because I know that the outcome of that game was directly, and I mean directly, the result of Lovie's coaching ! Lovie teaches ball hawking, stripping the ball, its in his DNA etc. His teams are always competitive to the extent of the personnel he has on the team. There is no underachieving, no where's Mario, no where's Dareus etc. Indeed, he is able to squeeze the talent out of every guy he has. But that dosen't mean he has all the talent in the world. His offensive line is a mess, a mixture of rejects and hand me downs, with the exception of Carmini. He has never had a 1-2 set of receivers. Look what he did for Melton on the defensive line. Look at Peppers, a high priced free agent, that has produced big time from day one. The same for Urlacher who is on his last legs. How about Charles Tillman? A no name now all Pro. Look at Jennings. By the way, I am in Chicago, and know for a fact that his players, unlike Chan, love him, but will play like they love him....they walk the walk!

We could do a lot worse than Lovie Smith. Everyone's first choice is Cowher or Gruden, but these are unrealistic. Out of all the fired coaches, who would be a better fit? I'd prefer Lovie to Reid, to Turner, and to Wisenhunt -- and certainly to Marrone or Grimm or Horton.

. I think Lovie Smith is the best choice, given the realistic options...

also, bringing in Smith might mean we get Devon Hester -- who said he would rather retire than play for anyone but Lovie...

HIRE LOVIE SMITH

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

Well I could be wrong but IMO Smith is a guy who has gotten the most out of his players.

There are complaints I've heard that he's a "player's coach" but you have to distinguish between "player's coaches" whose players play hard for them and those whose players don't play hard for them. I've rarely seen a bad effort from Smith's Bears. It looks to me like he holds his players accountable.

As far as showing fire, I think that's overrated. As I recently mentioned elsewhere Rod Marinelli, Les Steckel, and Frank Gansz were all fiery coaches who couldn't win football games.

I think Smith has been an excellent coach and that the Bills would be lucky to get him.

Fire is definitely overrated but I sure would not mind seeing some after the last 3 coaches. I also think that my 12 year stint in Chicago may be skewing my thoughts a bit. I know it would be a risky move but I would love nothing more than finding a young innovative coach who can put together game plans that reallyyyy gets this talent we have on the right track. Can our GM pull that out of his hat? Not sure.....some of these college names are intriguing but also risky.

If the Bills can actually find their QB for the first time in 15 years, whoever they pick will look like the right one....

And he could hire a decent staff. If you get some assistant, he will have to hire no name assistants that hopefully are good. Lovie has coat tails. His assistants would be guys that can coach. Look at the schmucks that Chan and Dick brought to town. A Lovie or Ried or Schottenhiemer or Billick could bring good assistants and some players with him.

Good point Bufcomments.

Thanks

I didnt even think about his staff when I posted. His staff would be pro not college types.

The more I think about it the more I think we should go and Get Lovie