Lovie Smith for HC!

rcatty

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His won loss record against winning teams is certainly scary enough to reconsider him but not at the expense of hiring Whiz instead.

Here,here

Then consider the QB's Lovie won with... Cmon 13-3 and a super bowl with Rex Grossman / Brian Griese at QB!

So, do we know if the Bears GM's are more responsible for the hirings of those incompetent OC's? Was Lovie Smith allowed to choose his own assistants or was that delegated to him by the GM's above him?

9 years, 81-63, .563 % with mostly scrubs at QB.

2004 5-11 QB Chad Hutchinson, 5 games, Jonathan Quinn, 3 games, Craig Krenzel, 3 games. Rex Grossman, 3 games besides Grossman who are these guys? Geez!

2005 11-5 took the guy one year to go to the playoffs. QB Kyle Orton 15 GS.

Man, look at that Bears defense this year, I want some of that in Buffalo!

Here,here

Then consider the QB's Lovie won with... Cmon 13-3 and a super bowl with Rex Grossman / Brian Griese at QB!

So, do we know if the Bears GM's are more responsible for the hirings of those incompetent OC's? Was Lovie Smith allowed to choose his own assistants or was that delegated to him by the GM's above him?

9 years, 81-63, .563 % with mostly scrubs at QB.

2004 5-11 QB Chad Hutchinson, 5 games, Jonathan Quinn, 3 games, Craig Krenzel, 3 games. Rex Grossman, 3 games besides Grossman who are these guys? Geez!

2005 11-5 took the guy one year to go to the playoffs. QB Kyle Orton 15 GS.

Man, look at that Bears defense this year, I want some of that in Buffalo!

Kyle Orton is very similar to Alex Smith. Smith is better, but they both manage games, not lose them for you. They will not fumble or throw INT's in the final 5 minutes of games, like someone we have had. Lovie would be okay, depending on who is coordinators are.

Considering the dozens of posts saying (approximately) "I'd be fine with Lovie Smith contingent on who he brought in as OC"

I would say that the answer to your question is NO.

People are not overlooking this fact.

You speak for me. Whose this OC gonna be ? This should get interesting

He manages it well enough to have a winning record. I love this ... here is a winning coach(a better winning percentage than Gruden BTW) and people hate the idea.

Amazing.

I just want someone who will manage the team. I would like a coach that knows what he wants to do on both sides of the ball and I'm not sure I've seen or read about that in regards to Lovie...

As apposed which other candidates NFL win/loss record against teams with winning records? What is Whiz's record against winning teams? I have not seen that mentioned anywhere for any other candidate. And no one else was a head coach in the NFL to compare that stat.

If you are going to use it a reason that he is a bad choice you should show the other candidates stats side by side.

He manages it well enough to have a winning record. I love this ... here is a winning coach(a better winning percentage than Gruden BTW) and people hate the idea.

Amazing.

Sorry. I just figured that a coach with a LOSING record would as a result have a pretty bad record against winning teams.

Whiz W-L 45-51

Amazing indeed, Sorry if Whiz is your choice.

I just want someone who will manage the team. I would like a coach that knows what he wants to do on both sides of the ball and I'm not sure I've seen or read about that in regards to Lovie...

So I am assuming you have a coach in mine that you have seen/read about who DOES know what he wants to do on both sides of the ball? Who is it, I want to read more about him.

It's all going to depend on which coordinator Lovie or Whiz bring with them. If Lovie can get a great OC then I'll be happy. I'd probably be happy with Whiz if he brought Horton but it sounds like that's not even an option from some of the things I've read so who else could he bring? So my vote goes for Lovie assuming he can land a good OC (Jackson, schurmur, turner, etc)

Edited by kdiggz

The Bears GM said he let Lovie go because he could turn the offense around. He hasn't been able to attract a good OC and get the offense going. That is why he was let go and that is my biggest question mark with him....

This year there isn't one coach out there who would eba slam dunk. All of them have issues, but from what I have read Horton seems to be a good pick

The Bears GM said he let Lovie go because he could turn the offense around. He hasn't been able to attract a good OC and get the offense going. That is why he was let go and that is my biggest question mark with him....

This year there isn't one coach out there who would eba slam dunk. All of them have issues, but from what I have read Horton seems to be a good pick

I love Horton's personality and think he's got a lot of potential as a coach. But I hate the idea of going back to the 3-4 after dropping over $150 million on two 4-3 DE's, not to mention Kyle Williams' $50 million contract for a player without a true position in a 3-4.

Lovie Smith is 22-43 against winning teams. Whiz is 15-29. Chan was, of course, 1-19. Jauron was 4-27.

Belichick is 64-47 with the Pats.

Lets say a coach won every game against teams under .500 and won half against winning teams. They'd be around .750 which is very high. Being 22-43 against winning teams is not as bad as advertised.

I love Horton's personality and think he's got a lot of potential as a coach. But I hate the idea of going back to the 3-4 after dropping over $150 million on two 4-3 DE's, not to mention Kyle Williams' $50 million contract for a player without a true position in a 3-4.

I entirely agree! We need to stay a 43

I entirely agree! We need to stay a 43

I am not against a 3 year transformation to the 34 but this year would have to be 90% 43 10$ 34 and over 3 or 4 years keep drafting LB's until you have enough. Mario Williams is a 34 DE or OLB like Wade used him in Houston. Anderson is a pass rushing 34 lb as well. Merriman would be awesome in the 34.

What we need is a healthy Troupe to play nose or Dareus. The only one really left out in 34 is Kyle Williams. If we draft Teo we have a grerat ILB. We lack good 34 LB depth. Moats Shepard, and Barnett are not really good 34 LB's as we have found out in the past.

That's why they're unemployed!

I'm with most of you, Lovie's the best candidate to me. His firing this year was definitely a result of his past failure of his offensive production but IMO this year was different. Mike Tice was the OC with a smashmouth mentality and did a pretty good job until the injuries to Cutler & Forte stymied the offense, that's just a bad break. IMO Lovie has a great staff & if they're part of his package it's a slam dunk...his DC was Rob Marinelli (lots of HC & NFL experience there between the two btw) that's two pretty good coordinators IMO.

What are the other magic coaches (Gruden, Cowher) winning percentage against teams over .500?

I'm also curious where the data on this is coming from, is there a site that tracks those stats?

Edited by jeremy2020

I'd Lovie to see Mr. Smith as our head coach. Hopefully he could entice the majority of his staff to follow(Marinelli, Rusty Jones, Gill Byrd, etc.) As far as offensive coordinator how would Turner Gill appeal to folks? He completely turned UB program around and had Zach Maynard looking like a viable NFL prospect.

Cappy gets pretty upset when people misspell his name.

He had a rookie quarterback, a rookie running back, and a rookie wide receiver along with a 2nd year wide receiver.

Shurmur did nicely with a rookie Sam Bradford in St. Louis.

Also, I read also about how his offense was so predictable that opposing teams claimed to know his plays based on his formations.

Its a hire within a hire within a hire. INCEPTION

Also mild-mannered defensive coaches.

Also, I read also about how his offense was so predictable that opposing teams claimed to know his plays based on his formations.

When he was in St. Louis or when he was in Cleveland?

I'd never heard that.

Also mild-mannered defensive coaches.

When he was in St. Louis or when he was in Cleveland?

I'd never heard that.

Cleveland. I read it in pft. I will try to dig up the link. the other point I recall reading was that he was way too west coast in his offense. Most WCO guys run a modified version. He's a purist, and the pure wco is simply too predictable.

This team would be similar to minn if Lovie was HC IMO. Is Fitz better than Ponder? Maybe. The talent on this D with good coaching and would work fine with a game mananager at QB. Fitz or someone else for that matter. Dalton/Ponder. Seemed to get them to the tournament!! Add Lovie with a couple LBs and a QB.