The first of many ESPN mock drafts

buffaloaggie

11.png

Buffalo Bills

Record: 5-8

buf.gif

Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame

The Bills could be in the market for a quarterback depending on how they feel about Ryan Fitzpatrick after this season, but there's no way Barkley has the arm to play in Buffalo in the winter. There is also no wide receiver worth taking this high to fill their need at that position. Te'o would give the team another young defensive leader up the middle with DTMarcell Dareus. He's a three-down linebacker who can handle the point of attack against the run and has shown plenty of ability in underneath coverage.

I'd love to see this!

Only one QB, Geno Smith, in the first round 8th to Arizona.

1) Star Lotuleilei, KC

2) DeMontre Moore, Jax

3)Bjoern Warner, Oak

4) Luke Joeckel, Philly

5) Jonathan Hankins, Car

Mingo, Milliner, Smith, Lewan and Warmack round out the top ten.

I staunchly disagree with any draft approach that doesn't have us taking the best remaining qb on the board when our turn comes up. If the staff determines that the best qb for us doesn't meet the draft value point then move down a tad and take the qb you favor. If Barkley or any other qb has limitations that don't justify their selection then take a better prospect. Common sense dictates that you will get a better qb prospect in round one compared to a later round.

For this qb starved franchise it is more than a player value issue; it is a position value issue. That is the perspective that this staff has to take. How many qbs are we going to let pass that ultimately end up prospering on other teams? Enough is enough of this nonsense!

I staunchly disagree with any draft approach that doesn't have us taking the best remaining qb on the board when our turn comes up. If the staff determines that the best qb for us doesn't meet the draft value point then move down a tad and take the qb you favor. If Barkley or any other qb has limitations that don't justify their selection then take a better prospect. Common sense dictates that you will get a better qb prospect in round one compared to a later round.

For this qb starved franchise it is more than a player value issue; it is a position value issue. That is the perspective that this staff has to take. How many qbs are we going to let pass that ultimately end up prospering on other teams? Enough is enough of this nonsense!

Unfortunately, you are right. That's the position Buddy left us in by inexcusably passing on Wilson/Foles/Cousins last year. A firing offense if I've ever seen one.

so we should pass on a stud LB prospect to draft a 2nd round graded QB prospect in Rd1?

No Thank You.

I understand that we need to address the QB position, But we are sorely lacking any quality LBs. If we get a chance at one, we should grab him

so we should pass on a stud LB prospect to draft a 2nd round graded QB prospect in Rd1?

No Thank You.

I understand that we need to address the QB position, But we are sorely lacking any quality LBs. If we get a chance at one, we should grab him

I completely understand your point. The problem is, it is very difficult to grade out QBs in the draft and even more difficult to predict how high they will be drafted. Due to the premium associated with the position, the last two drafts have seen multiple QBs taken considerably higher than their "grades" would have suggested. As a result, it's very risky to trade down and still expect your QB to be there, even in the lower rounds. Given the number of other QB-starved teams in the league this year, I expect that trend will continue. The majority of the teams drafting in the top ten will be QB-needy, especially the Cards, Chiefs, and Jags. You can add the Jets to that list, too, although I doubt they will be drafting in the top 10. I would be surprised if they don't try to move up.

Beason will probably never be the same player he was after his achillies injury and not sure if Carolina would want to eat his contract

First I'll say I don't believe Teo will be there when we pick. Beason is out cause of a torn labrum not because of his achilles. He was his old self in the first few games of the year but just took a bad injury. He had never missed a start before the injuries last year and this in the first four years of his career. He will also only be 28 next season and the Panthers paid him a 20 million signing bonus so the contract is favorable for us. Kuechly has played lights out in the middle and Beason is not great on the outside so this is why the panthers will look to move him. I say make this deal cause teo will be gone.

I completely understand your point. The problem is, it is very difficult to grade out QBs in the draft and even more difficult to predict how high they will be drafted. Due to the premium associated with the position, the last two drafts have seen multiple QBs taken considerably higher than their "grades" would have suggested. As a result, it's very risky to trade down and still expect your QB to be there, even in the lower rounds. Given the number of other QB-starved teams in the league this year, I expect that trend will continue. The majority of the teams drafting in the top ten will be QB-needy, especially the Cards, Chiefs, and Jags. You can add the Jets to that list, too, although I doubt they will be drafting in the top 10. I would be surprised if they don't try to move up.

Does anyone see any QB that is worth a high pick in this draft? They have all pretty much underachieved. I really don't see any franchise type QBs with the exception of Geno Smith. Starting with the third round, start grabbing QBs left on the board, but the Bills still have glaring LB and WR issues, as well as QB.

11.png

Buffalo Bills

buf.gif

The Bills could be in the market for a quarterback depending on how they feel about Ryan Fitzpatrick after this season, but there's no way Barkley has the arm to play in Buffalo in the winter. There is also no wide receiver worth taking this high to fill their need at that position. Te'o would give the team another young defensive leader up the middle with DTMarcell Dareus. He's a three-down linebacker who can handle the point of attack against the run and has shown plenty of ability in underneath coverage.

I'd love to see this!

1) Star Lotuleilei, KC

2) DeMontre Moore, Jax

3)Bjoern Warner, Oak

4) Luke Joeckel, Philly

5) Jonathan Hankins, Car

:thumbsup:

No Thank You.

Yes, we should pass on a stud LB prospect to draft a potential franchise qb prospect. The issue isn't player ranking so much as position value and rankings combined. A second round rated qb who is also considered a legitimate franchise qb prospect has much more value to this bedraggled franchise. Dalton and Kaepernick were both second round rated players. Both indisputably have more value to the Bills than a higher rated LB.

There are creative ways to maneuver in the draft to fill a critical qb need. If you like a particular qb prospect but believe that the value isn't there at your draft position then be flexible and move down a bit if you can still acquire that same player. If you believe that you will risk losing that particular qb then keep the pick and take the qb you rated the highest. It is much more important for the Bills to take the highest rated qb on the board than to wait at a lower round to pick a lower rated qb.

First I'll say I don't believe Teo will be there when we pick. Beason is out cause of a torn labrum not because of his achilles. He was his old self in the first few games of the year but just took a bad injury. He had never missed a start before the injuries last year and this in the first four years of his career. He will also only be 28 next season and the Panthers paid him a 20 million signing bonus so the contract is favorable for us. Kuechly has played lights out in the middle and Beason is not great on the outside so this is why the panthers will look to move him. I say make this deal cause teo will be gone.

ahh thought it was an achillies. Haven't paid much attention to the panthers honestly but I was a big Beason fan when he was @ The U. I'm def not against the trade if they're looking to move him. Would actually prefer it over drafting a lb in the top 2 rounds

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Manti Te'o had a precipitous fall in the draft as time goes on. He is without peer in the character/leadership department. But there are major concerns about his game translating to the next level, chiefly his speed to the hole and his ability to play in space.

The 'Bama game will be telling. It's the best OL he'll have faced all season. They will put a hat on him like nobody else. If he does well against them and has a good combine and pro day, then his stock won't fall at all.

I hope he does great and proves himself.

GO BILLS!!!

Weak draft class at QB. Reminds me of 2010 when Sam Bradford was first overall pick. It was a forced pick. He was a top 10 talent and the rest of the QB class is unremarkable. Teó would be an insanely great pick. Can cover the middle in passing, moves quickly to the ball (7 ints), he tackling is solid and he is a hard nosed presence in the middle. This mock draft is the start of the NFL silly season for those team missing out on the playoffs. April can not come soon enough.

How the heck does Te'o fall to 11th?

If his 40 time is slow it can happen...

Some feel he may be a 4.8 guy...Others feel he will run much faster after dropping the weight...But a 4.8 would hurt him big time...I don't think it would drop him out of the top 15, but ILB's that run that slow rarely go top 5...

I've said here before that Te'o, to me, is far more Rey Maualuga than Ray Lewis...And that's not necessarily a terrible thing...It would still be a HUGE upgrade for the Bills...But I don't see Te'o as a top tier NFL LB just yet...I want to see how he runs first... B-)

If his 40 time is slow it can happen...

Some feel he may be a 4.8 guy...Others feel he will run much faster after dropping the weight...But a 4.8 would hurt him big time...I don't think it would drop him out of the top 15, but ILB's that run that slow rarely go top 5...

I've said here before that Te'o, to me, is far more Rey Maualuga than Ray Lewis...And that's not necessarily a terrible thing...It would still be a HUGE upgrade for the Bills...But I don't see Te'o as a top tier NFL LB just yet...I want to see how he runs first... B-)

There are scouts that share the same feeling and they are concerned about his ability to operate in space. He's no Keuchly. Not even close.

'Bama will be the test for him. If he shows well against that OL and those RBs, he'll help himself. If not, his combine and pro days will be critical to his draft position.

GO BILLS!!!

11.png

Buffalo Bills

buf.gif

I'd love to see this!

1) Star Lotuleilei, KC

2) DeMontre Moore, Jax

3)Bjoern Warner, Oak

4) Luke Joeckel, Philly

5) Jonathan Hankins, Car

I would love Te'o but I can't imagine he slides that far.

The Bills desperately need a difference-making 3-down LB.

Edited by BobChalmers

If you're implying that taking a QB needs to be the Bills' first, second, and third offseason priority, then I wholeheartedly agree. There's one thing I may see a bit differently though. If the best QBs in the draft are supposed to go, say, 5th, 12th, and 20th, and if the Bills are picking 8th, I'd rather have them trade up to #5 for the best QB, than trade down to #12 for the second-best. I also have a good feeling about Barkley, and would approve of his selection even if they take him a bit earlier than he's expected to go.

Yes, we should pass on a stud LB prospect to draft a potential franchise qb prospect. The issue isn't player ranking so much as position value and rankings combined. A second round rated qb who is also considered a legitimate franchise qb prospect has much more value to this bedraggled franchise. Dalton and Kaepernick were both second round rated players. Both indisputably have more value to the Bills than a higher rated LB.

There are creative ways to maneuver in the draft to fill a critical qb need. If you like a particular qb prospect but believe that the value isn't there at your draft position then be flexible and move down a bit if you can still acquire that same player. If you believe that you will risk losing that particular qb then keep the pick and take the qb you rated the highest. It is much more important for the Bills to take the highest rated qb on the board than to wait at a lower round to pick a lower rated qb.

If the Bills continue to stop the run by playing weak running teams (except Seattle this week), our front office will have a wrong idea that our Run defense is fixed with Sheppard and Barnett and will probably pick another Safety at the top of the draft.

If the Bills continue to stop the run by playing weak running teams (except Seattle this week), our front office will have a wrong idea that our Run defense is fixed with Sheppard and Barnett and will probably pick another Safety at the top of the draft.

I hear what you're saying but our LBs and their suckitude is just too hard to deny.

GO BILLS!!!

If you're implying that taking a QB needs to be the Bills' first, second, and third offseason priority, then I wholeheartedly agree.

That's exactly what I am saying. If the Bills don't come out of this draft with the best qb prospect available when they are making the first pick then they have failed in their responsibilities. I wouldn't be surprised if the business side of the operation "compels" the football side staff prior to the draft to take a qb early in the draft for business reasons that have to do with ticket sales. Even "country" Buddy is sophisticated enough to know that the NFL is as much to do with business as it does with football.

There's one thing I may see a bit differently though. If the best QBs in the draft are supposed to go, say, 5th, 12th, and 20th, and if the Bills are picking 8th, I'd rather have them trade up to #5 for the best QB, than trade down to #12 for the second-best. I also have a good feeling about Barkley, and would approve of his selection even if they take him a bit earlier than he's expected to go.

I don't see Buddy taking a creative approach in moving up in the draft. He simply lacks the imagination and the wherewithal to make a bold move similar to what Shanahan did last year to acquire RGIII. He is who he is so let's not elevate our expectations beyond being realistic.

With respect to Barkley or any other prospect all I can say is that they need to do their due diligence in ranking the qbs and then have the courage to act on their convictions. From my perspective no matter what good Nix has done to upgrade the roster that effort is being wasted by not having a credible qb taking the snaps.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Manti Te'o had a precipitous fall in the draft as time goes on. He is without peer in the character/leadership department. But there are major concerns about his game translating to the next level, chiefly his speed to the hole and his ability to play in space.

The 'Bama game will be telling. It's the best OL he'll have faced all season. They will put a hat on him like nobody else. If he does well against them and has a good combine and pro day, then his stock won't fall at all.

I hope he does great and proves himself.

GO BILLS!!!

Are you serious? Have you seen him this year? Dropped 10-15 lbs before the season, is phenomenal in coverage, true sideline to sideline tackler. I have not seen a single concern raised about his ability to play in space.

By having a ridiculous mock draft. That's how.

A more realistic option would be Alabama's CJ Mosley. He's a 3-down 4-3 WOLB with definite Pro Bowl potential and high character. He'll probably get drafted somewhere between picks 10 and 20.

^^^^THIS^^^^

You might as well start threads about us trading Fitzmiss for a first round pick because that has about the same chance of Teo falling to 11. Teo will be a top 5 pick, likely top 3 and possibly #1 overall. He won't be there at 11

If the goal is to make the playoffs (worthy, I'll admit), then draft an LB. If the goal is to win the Super Bowl, start drafting QBs with first round draft picks. The Bills should be using a first, second, or third round pick on a QB at least every other year until they find a guy who they think can win it all. I'm not a Fitz hater, but unless we have a Ravens/Bucs style defense circa 2000 he's not going to be enough.

That's exactly what I am saying. If the Bills don't come out of this draft with the best qb prospect available when they are making the first pick then they have failed in their responsibilities. I wouldn't be surprised if the business side of the operation "compels" the football side staff prior to the draft to take a qb early in the draft for business reasons that have to do with ticket sales. Even "country" Buddy is sophisticated enough to know that the NFL is as much to do with business as it does with football.

I don't see Buddy taking a creative approach in moving up in the draft. He simply lacks the imagination and the wherewithal to make a bold move similar to what Shanahan did last year to acquire RGIII. He is who he is so let's not elevate our expectations beyond being realistic.

With respect to Barkley or any other prospect all I can say is that they need to do their due diligence in ranking the qbs and then have the courage to act on their convictions. From my perspective no matter what good Nix has done to upgrade the roster that effort is being wasted by not having a credible qb taking the snaps.

You and I are definitely on the same page.

> He simply lacks the imagination and the wherewithal to make a bold move similar to what Shanahan did last

> year to acquire RGIII. He is who he is so let's not elevate our expectations beyond being realistic.

I hear what you're saying. In discussions like this, I like to think about what I would do, if I were in a GM's place. If the Bills' GM does a worse job than I would have done, I'd feel disappointment. If the Bills' GM should ever do a better job than the one I would have done, I would feel pleasantly surprised. The Bills need to have a GM who makes better decisions than the ones I would make, were I in his place. They haven't had a GM like that since Polian, which is why this team hasn't made the playoffs in over a decade. :(

This is the thinking that got us JP Losman.

I want a new QB as much as the next guy, but getting desperate and taking a marginal QB in round 1 puts us in the same spot we are now 3 years from now.

I like him, and I think that we have a chance at him:

KC - needs a QB (most thinking Geno Smith)

Jags - don't think they are satisfied with Gabbert, possible QB pick, also have Poz.

Raiders - need a QB

Titans - Prob set at QB, but could draft after us, and is likely.

Panthers - Took Kuchely lasy year, will they take another MLB?

Saints - Have Vilma, but could grab Teo if the draft ahead of us, big if.

Cardinals - need a QB badly.

Chargers - could take a LB or QB, likely to draft after Bills especially with the win last week.

Lions - have drafted heavy on D, and likely picking after the Bills

Eagles - Could steal Teo, but again, very well could be drafting after us.

My dream scenario would be to grab Teo if available, and trade back up to

early second round and grab a QB, any will do right now, and like somebody

else mentioned, keep drafting a QB early every draft until we get it right.

So right now, the only semi-locks to draft ahead of us are KC, JAGs, and possibly

the Raiders. I see only the Jags as a possibility to snag Teo, and they have other

pressing needs, and again Poz, who I think they are happy with, and he still has to

have a few years left on his current contract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.