Nix tired of HC/QB questions...says both are as safe as ever

Alphadawg7

The reason they don't replace Fitz now is the belief he CAN do better AND there are no available alternatives right now.

They also won't just stick Jackson out there because if he isn't ready (and we have no reason to believe he is), then Gailey would be screwing the rest of the team by playing a guy that doesn't give the team the best chance to win the game!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think that Gailey IS safe.......keep in mind that the bills have an "out" from Fitzpatrick this year from his contract (I think)

So it could become a money thing.

With every passing loss Nix position on all of this will get more and more precarious

Somebody, for what it is worth (I think it was Sullivan) said that letting Fitz go would cost them 10 million on the cap next season...I really don't know if that is accurate..but it is fairly substantial. I think they keep Fitz for his contract (unless they can trade him..not out of the question IMO), and he mentors whoever our newest "QB of the future" turns out to be...from what I can tell, Fitz seems like a guy who could handle that roll if he was asked to.

The reason they don't replace Fitz now is the belief he CAN do better AND there are no available alternatives right now.

They also won't just stick Jackson out there because if he isn't ready (and we have no reason to believe he is), then Gailey would be screwing the rest of the team by playing a guy that doesn't give the team the best chance to win the game!

While I can't think of any situations, I am sure that somebody has come in to start on an NFL team, at the QB position, with less time in the "system" than Tavares Jackson has at this point.

Starting to wonder about nix. Doesn't bring alot of confidence to the fans

Maybe I am alone, but I am glad they are safe.

I am sick of coaching and QB turnover.

Your outta your mind, change is good

Nix's appearance today on GR reminded me of the Chan Gailey introductory PC. That day, he used an inordinate amount of time to disparage those who said the Bills weren't getting interviews, etc. by resorting to the Baghdad Bob-esque line of saying they got 35 calls a day among other preposterous claims.

Buddy's frustration comes out when he is forced to defend. He isn't tactful, doesn't respond well to (much deserved in this case) criticism, and thinks more highly of himself to have to answer these types of questions. He could have provided the political answer and be done with it, but he didn't. It reflects poorly on him and the organization.

For some context what was said in the interview:

Howard: At this point are you expecting Chan Gailey and Ryan Fitzpatrick both to be back next season in their respective roles?

Buddy: I addressed that about 2 or 3 weeks ago and the reason I did was so I wouldn't have to answer it every week or after every loss, so I'm through discussing that.

Howard: Well this is not three weeks ago. You're 4-7 and looking at not making the playoffs again.

Buddy: Well, it's today and that's my answer today.

Howard: Do you have total control as the GM to make a determination on the coaching staff?

Buddy: I have a boss just like you do, Mr. Wilson is obviously the owner, anyone who says he doesn't have final say is living in a dream world.

Howard: has he given you any indication how he feels about the performance of the coach and the quarterback?

Buddy: Howard you can change the subject or we can let this thing go dead.

Edited by Carey Bender

This is all I could think of while reading the OP. Nix can say whatever he wants but in the end, there is no one else to play QB on the team or in the league that is going to be a significant step up from Fitz and I'm sure every HC/OC/DC/etc. in the league is really foaming at the mouth to come coach our team.

Nothing is available so they are safer than ever... right now.

Edited by The Wiz

how can he not be ready? does he need another 2 years to be ready? it's funny how qb's on other teams can be out of football then in the lineup the next day............more chan nonsense...............this team is beyond puzzling IMO. Really stinks to be a fan nowadays.

unless we trade up to 1-3 in the draft, no QB we take next year in the draft is going to start from day 1..i think that can be taken to the bank...mid-season/end of season, who knows depending on how it's going. but ya, either way, Fitz will be starter next year, Week 1.

there is the Andy Dalton kid who went in 2nd round, but ya must starting QB's are first round picks

Chan will be safe, barring an epic collapse, and we will draft a QB, who likely will be groomed next year--which means Fitz will be back for at least half of the season. And if this D keeps playing the way it is, Wanny will be safe too.

Wish someone in the Bills organization would speak up. This team's woes are more than not being consistent, and not "fitting it up." We have a QB whose arm was bad last year, and is even worse this year--how that is possible, considering the guy is in his prime, I don't know--an overly-conservative HC who prefers to have opposing defenses dictate our plays when everyone knows our only strength is running, a DC whose stubborness and lack of creativity caused one of the worst two game stretches in modern NFL history, a GM obsessed with drafting CBs when he should be obsessed with drafting QBs, and a frail owner whose role is undefined to this fan.

There needs to be a change somewhere if we Bills fans will be realistically hoping for a playoff berth next season.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

The Bills could very well end up running the table, have a 9-7 record with a possible (dare I say) wildcard playoff birth. Look at the AFC and look at the remaining schedule. If they give the ball to Spiller and their defense plays well then they should win all of the remaining games. NFL teams can get on a roll and this one is no different. I know people think this is crazy, but we do have very talented players here that can do something like this.

So of course GM Buddy Nix sees this possible scenario and he would be an idiot to jump the gun on the Gailey, Fitzpatrick and the rest of the team...LOL If he did hint at changes then that would be a reason he should be fired!

So its chans fault Fitz leaves at least 14+ points on the field every game by missing receivers running as wide open as you'll see in the NFL 2 or 3 times a game?? I mean his schemes to get these receivers open have to be pretty good, it happens every game...how many more wins would we have with 14 points added to our totals each game??

For some context what was said in the interview:

Howard: At this point are you expecting Chan Gailey and Ryan Fitzpatrick both to be back next season in their respective roles?

Buddy: I addressed that about 2 or 3 weeks ago and the reason I did was so I wouldn't have answer it every week or after every loss, so I'm through discussing that.

Howard: Well this is not three weeks ago. You're 4-7 and looking at not making the playoffs again.

Buddy: Well, it's today and that's my answer today.

Howard: Do you have total control as the GM to make a determination on the coaching staff?

Buddy: I have a boss just like you do, Mr. Wilson is obviously the owner, anyone who says he doesn't have final say is living in a dream world.

Howard: has he given you any indication how he feels about the performance of the coach and the quarterback?

Buddy: Howard you can change the subject or we can let this thing go dead.

See now that is different from what people are saying here.

To me that reads more like, Buddy wants Chan and Fitz to be here, but Ralph is maybe saying something else. At least he and Nix have had discussions about replacements for one or both of them.

I also do find it strange that Nix said they were going to go after a QB in the offseason, and now is giving his support to Fitz.

The next 5 games will decide everyones fate.Personally i think Fitz has already been decided. he is done. Buddy and Chan know it, but realize they have nothing else onthe team better. they still have a very slim chance of making the playoffs. Fitz gives them the best chance at winning all 5 games.

I took out of it that the number one priority will be getting a QB. FA or draft.

The quote that stuck with me is when Howard (talking about Fitz and Gaileys comments) asked, what is your definition of near future? Buddy responded with;

"Until we find someone better, or until someone beats him out"

its what hes always said. im not surprised by this at all. hopefully they take a shot at a qb.

So its chans fault Fitz leaves at least 14+ points on the field every game by missing receivers running as wide open as you'll see in the NFL 2 or 3 times a game?? I mean his schemes to get these receivers open have to be pretty good, it happens every game...how many more wins would we have with 14 points added to our totals each game??

how many more wins would we have with a defense that gave up 14 fewer points a game? at the end of the day, it's just a very average, to below average team. when the offense performs well, the defense stinks; when the defense does well, the offense stinks; when the defense and offense are both OK, the special teams stink...at the end of the day we do just enough to lose games. just bad.

Edited by bobobonators

Exactly. "As safe as they ever were" could just mean "safe until I decide otherwise."

That's how I see it as well.

There is only five more weeks of the regular season to go. Once we get to the off-season, then we will see how safe Chan & Fitz are.