Nix tired of HC/QB questions...says both are as safe as ever

Alphadawg7

Not saying itll be one thing or the other.. But how many times do you all see "votes of confidence" and then the opposite is done a few weeks later. Who knows what will happen, but think of it that way as well.

Its true, there have been many times where a coach or front office staff member has been given a "Vote of Confidence" by someone higher up and then let go by the end of the season. How many GMs in the past have come out and said they are disapointed in the work the coaching staff has done with the team to this point and that Coach 'X' is about to lose there job if things don't turn around or is "on the Hot seat"?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that he said Fitz and Chan are "as safe as they ever were." He never says exactly how safe that is.

PTR

Exactly. "As safe as they ever were" could just mean "safe until I decide otherwise."

Just listened to the whole interview with Buddy... keep in mind, when he started to get testy, he was asked something like "Is it hard to keep saying "stay the course" ....Buddy responds: "I am not as sick of saying it, as people are of hearing it...you can't just keep having a state of constant turmoil"

I really liked Buddy and Chan going into this season...I still like Buddy, and I think he has done a decent job...I realize not everything worked out the way he had hoped..but how often does that happen? I agree with him about not having constant change...and if I stil felt the way about Chan now, as I did in August, I would be all for bringing him back, disappointing results and all. But, this season, I think Chan has just shown he is not the guy...I think he has contributed heavily to at least 2 or 3 of the teams losses this year...and he doesn't appear ready to adjust to what is happening right in front of him. The handling of CJ Spiller is baffling...and ludicrous.

Let me ask, without starting yet another thread: does anyone feel like there is a realistic chance that Buddy will be here next year, without Chan Gailey serving as head coach?

Edited by Buftex

There is no reason for Gailey to continue to coach this team or for Fitz to be the QB - none at all. Nix will continue to give his weak excuse that turnover is always bad. It isn't bad when the guys you currently have in place are inept and will never work out.

Fitz should be benched right now...scratch that, 5 games ago. There is no reason for him to be the starting QB. This season is lost and you might as well give Tarvaris a chance to play. What is the worst that can happen?? You lose more games than you are right now? - Good, it will help the draft position.

Bring in a FA QB and draft one to compete in the offseason. Fitz continuing to start next year just delays us moving on from this train wreck.

Maybe I am alone, but I am glad they are safe.

I am sick of coaching and QB turnover.

I am sick of losing records. Chans record as HC is ...OMG...seriously. But he does well within his own division, at least, right?..wait his div. record is what?!?!

Fitzpatrick's record as a starter for the last 20 games is...OMG...seriously?!?!

Yeah, hanging on to this dynamic duo is a must!!!!!

4-7 ain't cool, qb w no arm even uncooler.

whatever floats your boat man, I see no possible positive Spin to put on a Fitz 2013 starter possibility.

But i am a noted Fitzhater. Maybe I am wrong

Everyone is sick of GM, HC, and QB turnover. But until they get it right, this will remain commonplace as RW hasn't selected a good GM since Polian more than 25 years ago. Even Butler and Wade inherited their positions after a firing/retirement. And so it leaves us with an owner hiring bad GM's, those GM's picking bad coaches, and the same GM making bad decisions on draft day and in free agency.

The rebuild is not going in the right direction, as evidenced by their 14-29 record. To think it's going to change, at this juncture, is delusional.

Well then Nix is pretty lucky cause there are very few of those around here, most of the educated fans are just "Hindsight Geniuses"

And what makes one teams fans more "deserving" then others? Every week half the leagues fans are "winners" and the other half are "losers". So what makes Bills fans "more Deserving" of their team winning then a Detroit Lions fan? A KC Chiefs Fan? An Oakland Raiders Fan? A jacksonville jaguars fan? Should the NFL make up a new rule that does not allow a team to have more then 1-2 winning seasons in a row? That teams should have to share success with other teams?

Did you really not understand the question of his that you bolded?

It's clear he meant the fans deserve more than they have gotten from then Bills. No one is saying we deserve more than "a Detroit Lions fan". Your argument therefore makes no sense.

13 seasons leads to very accurate hindsight, you know.

I think everyone is coming back next year (Fitz, Gailey, Wannstedt). But, Fitz will have competition next year for the starting position as the Bills will either get a QB in FA or in the draft.

If you are correct, and I have no reason with this franchise to think you are wrong, another long, losing season next year shoudl come a no surprise to absolutely anyone, whatsoever.

He's not going to come out and throw them under the bus. Today he said on WGR that he's sticking to his answers from a couple weeks ago and that they will draft or find a QB of the future. Nix has done a great job and has added some key players. We can't go by what they say right now.. Everyone remember Edwards and how he got cut a couple games into the season...

Lets keep holding faith in your team.

I can understand why Nix is tired of answering the same questions over and over.

But everyone on the planet (except Nix and Gailey) can see that our coach is an idiot and our quarterback sucks.

Honestly, I think the Buffalo media and Bills fans are expecting Nix to admit his mistakes and say something like "I've already been talking to Bill Cowher and Marty Schottenheimer" or "We are definitely replacing Fitzpatrick after the season." Instead, he continues to give our current guys a vote of confidence and refuses to throw them under the bus.

We'll find out pretty quickly after the season whether Nix is being honest or not.

There is no reason for Gailey to continue to coach this team or for Fitz to be the QB - none at all. Nix will continue to give his weak excuse that turnover is always bad. It isn't bad when the guys you currently have in place are inept and will never work out.

Another side effect of this is that C.J. Spiller is very unlikely to re-enlist with a team which grossly misuses his talents.

Can you imagine what CJ could do with good coaching/play calling??? Good lord. Someone in the front office should consider that aspect of the Bills' "near future".

Look, there's 2 ways to look at the Bills - year thirteen or year three. Most FANS look at the former and while OBD understands this, they are looking at it as year three - only. (And WE should understand that too. But as a collective bunch, we tend to be too emotional.)

Buddy has been straight with us since day 1 and while that has always been refreshing, it hasn't always been comforting. He has explained that in year 1 there were so many guys who shouldn't even be on a football team. In year 2, they added more depth/draft choices and year 3, he added FA's. EVERYONE's expectation was that the players would perform better than they have thus far - if anyone says they believed differently, I would try to find a nice way of saying you're lying.

The hope was Fitz would play like he did in wks 1-7 last year, the defense would be vastly improved and ther rest of the younger players would continue to get better, rounding out the team and seeing it excel in all 3 phases of the game. That's why Chan says he sees improvement but is frustrated they haven't been able to put it all together week over week. At the beginning of the year we could score, but the D was horrendous, now the D is better and we can't score. And Special Teams - one week good, the next bad. Up & down performances across the board.

This is why we are all frustrated. This is why Chan & Buddy are frustrated too. (I also listened to the whole GR55 interview this morning.) Buddy said more than a few interesting things (paraphrased):

• On Fitz - There's an old saying in scouting, if you've seen a guy do it once, he can do it again. (This is why they believe in Fitz.)
  • On Fitz & Chan's jobs: After Howard (3x) & Jeremy (1x) asked him the question 4 times (!!!) - Buddy said if you want to keep asking the same question we can just "let this thing go dead" (because he's got nothing else to say on the subject). He had already said moments before that he addressed that question 3-4 weeks ago and nothing has changed (so he sees no need to address it further).
  • On a new QB: He's also addressed this many times before - they are always looking to improve all positions, QB too. He wants to be sure there is a long term guy at the QB position before he retires. Read that any way you want - if there is an upgrade ouy there - they'll pursue him - trade, FA or draft.
  • On Rolando McClain - he couldn't say because he belongs to the Raiders. Then Jeremy thought he was smart and asked if he's looking to upgrade LB - that is when Buddy said they're always looking to upgrade all positions. (Way to go Jeremy!) I wish they had asked what was Buddy's scouting report on McClain coming out of college and if they were interested in him back then.

Look, I hate to be an apologist for the Bills because I am also sickened by what I've seen this year. It's inexplicable what has transpired. I believed like most, that we were going to have a good year. It's hard to understand why they haven't been able to put it all together. I think the reason they are preaching 'stay the course' to the players is that they DO beliveve they can do better collectively and they believe it will come. But being 4-7, it obviously hasn't come as soon as anyone had hoped/wanted.

Lastly, I think Chan and Fitz need to calm down - they are over-compensating. Chan's dialing down the offense, playing it to safe (because Fitz's confidence is shaken and his penchant for interceptions). They need to wing it and have fun. IF Fitz can be as good as he played in wks 1-7 last year and Buddy is correct when he says that if a guy did it once he can do it again - I believe it will come if they relax and let it happen.

Chan also needs to turn Fitz loose, stop with the kid gloves already (4 yds per attempt? really?). Let him wing it. It's better to go down swinging. We know they will pursue improvements in the position anyway, so why do we need to endure this crap along the way.

Turn it loose!!!