Rolando McClain (update - released by Raiders)

FutureBillsGM

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF HE WERE ON any other team and stunk it up ,id say pass on him, but, its the raiders they could screw up a wetdream .he was a very good mlb at bama ,i never heard about him and trouble till he hit the pros ,or should i say the RAIDERS.

Probably what the Jets said about Maybin. Just swap Raiders for Bills and Bama for Penn State.

But we have to draft Manti Te'o! Trade up if necessary! Drafting an inside linebacker high fixes everything!

In fairness, it was disingenuous to leave out Patrick Willis just because he was drafted #11. That's not functionally different from a top 10 pick, and he was certainly worth hit. I'd like to point out, however, that this year his fellow SF ILB Navarro Bowman has arguably been better, and Bowman was drafted in the 4th round. Willis is a big-time outlier in terms of a non-pass-rushing LB drafted high who ultimately justifies the pick. Even Mayo, who's a really good player, hasn't really proved to be worth his draft position. Despite having Vince Wilfork up front, the Pats have fielded some incredibly bad defenses with Mayo in the starting lineup, even against the run. Don't get me wrong, Mayo's probably not part of the problem. But the idea behind a high first round pick is that you draft a guy who's part of the solution. A foundational player that you build around, not just a guy who develops into an okay starter at a position of moderate importance. This was a lot of the problem with Whitner as well. He was a solid starter for us, but to justify his draft position, he needed to be an impact player/difference maker, and he never was. He's finding more success in SF, because there it's understood that he's just another quality starter on a stacked defense. Willis, Bowman, and the Smith brothers are their foundational guys.

Sorry for the rant, LB-philes. I don't want to turn this thread into a Manti Te'o thread, because maybe he is the next Patrick Willis, and there's already like 5 threads discussing him, so let's just take it over there if you want to fight me on this. And even I get the value of a true 3-down ILB who can hold up against the run, play deep middle in a Tampa-2, and run with TEs man-to-man. Having Willis & Bowman lets the 49ers play base defense against the pass, which is very valuable. My main point is that if the 49ers could only keep Willis/Bowman or the Smiths, they and every other team would choose the Smiths without hesitation.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm against claiming McClain on waivers. I'm so-so on signing him to a lower-salary contract if he becomes available as a free agent. I don't think the Bills have the kind of strong leadership and powerfully positive culture needed to straighten out wayward personalities like McClain. Plus it's very unlikely that he'd unseat Barnett or Scott in the "nickel" (really a dime) we play, so he'd only be able to get on the field for 30-40% of snaps anyway. If we think Sheppard isn't getting the job done in those snaps, wouldn't it be easier to just bench him and activate Kirk Morrison?

Still, McClain is young and has a lot of natural ability. Maybe he'd be worth it just as a marginal upgrade over Sheppard. In any case, I'm interested to see if any team puts in a waiver claim. I predict no.

I went with top 10 as a natural cut. Had to cut somewhere. I agree he's been very good. It's clear you got the broad strokes of it though

Hmm the raiders release two LBs when their defense sucks and we want to sign them.

Does McLain get to keep his gun?

The Raiders are like us.

They release good players that then go to good teams and continue to be good while the Bills claim they aren't good or were too old to keep (Leonard/Hargrove/Greer/Lankster/Fletcher/Winfield/Big Pat)

i LOVED mcclain coming outta bama (like most others)...a shame he doesnt have the work ethic to succeed in NFL

at least im guessing it was that....perhaps he didnt get along with the coaches/teamates/scheme? Id love to know what it was...hard to see a LB like that be wasted, but if he doesnt got it, he doesnt got it..

id be all for bringing him in to see what hes got....maybe being released/change of scenery lights a fire?

after all...wanny will just have him FIT IT UP!!!

He's gotta spend 6 months in jail starting next june so he's losing a year.

Per the article posted by C.Biscuit97, he appealed and the victim did not cooperate so the charge was thrown out.

its nit talent, its work ethic. Rumor is he had little.

This is the part that worries me. It’s got to be either his lack of work ethic or he’s just not a team player. This Bills team is made up of hard workers and overachievers so I wonder how a guy like that would fit in. Maybe Dareus or even Merriman can help him get that attitude corrected. Since our current LBs are as bad as they are, what do we have to lose by kicking the tires on him? I have read that he was a liability in pass coverage, which is part of why he lost playing time this season.

Pretty amazing that both he and Curry, 2 top 8 picks from within the past few years have already been cut; Curry essentially was cut twice. Just goes to show you can take all the measurables you want before the draft but they won’t tell you jack when it comes to a player’s true work ethic and desire.

Per the article posted by C.Biscuit97, he appealed and the victim did not cooperate so the charge was thrown out.

This is the part that worries me. It’s got to be either his lack of work ethic or he’s just not a team player. This Bills team is made up of hard workers and overachievers so I wonder how a guy like that would fit in. Maybe Dareus or even Merriman can help him get that attitude corrected. Since our current LBs are as bad as they are, what do we have to lose by kicking the tires on him? I have read that he was a liability in pass coverage, which is part of why he lost playing time this season.

Pretty amazing that both he and Curry, 2 top 8 picks from within the past few years have already been cut; Curry essentially was cut twice. Just goes to show you can take all the measurables you want before the draft but they won’t tell you jack when it comes to a player’s true work ethic and desire.

sorry, but dareus has to show up in shape next year before i call him a hard working overachiever that can light fires. he could be, but he hasnt earned that title yet.

Hey what about this line up --- Curry - Mclain - Maybin LB problem solved ...

Color me crazy but to be a stud MLB in this league you have to be able to run sideline to sideline. Ray Lewis said he dropped over 20 pounds from his SB season to today in order to keep up with the speed of todays games.

P Willis is a stud because he can run with anyone. Guys like McClain/Curry/Hawk/Poz are bigger guys who cannot cover as well because they aren't athletic freaks. They aren't going to be superstars. T'eo is great in college but without a sub 4.5 forty or some crazy cone drill time, which would certify his athleticism for the pro level, he will likely not live up to his top 5 draft status.

He will still be a good solid player, but not a Willis. There is nothing wrong with McClain or Teo being solid and not superstars.

Bring in Rondo, he can't make us any worse.

PS - my HC canidate is Tom Cable, and I believe he was there when they drafted MCClain!

Strange. I always think LB's are "safe" picks. Guess not.

Used to be. But given the nature of offensive schemes nowadays, it takes a special kind of athlete to play middle LB in this league, especially in a 43 front. These guys find out fast why their games don't translate to the NFL level. Guys like Patrick Willis are hard to find because they can play in any type of front and never have to come off the field.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Color me crazy but to be a stud MLB in this league you have to be able to run sideline to sideline. Ray Lewis said he dropped over 20 pounds from his SB season to today in order to keep up with the speed of todays games.

P Willis is a stud because he can run with anyone. Guys like McClain/Curry/Hawk/Poz are bigger guys who cannot cover as well because they aren't athletic freaks. They aren't going to be superstars. T'eo is great in college but without a sub 4.5 forty or some crazy cone drill time, which would certify his athleticism for the pro level, he will likely not live up to his top 5 draft status.

He will still be a good solid player, but not a Willis. There is nothing wrong with McClain or Teo being solid and not superstars.

Bring in Rondo, he can't make us any worse.

PS - my HC canidate is Tom Cable, and I believe he was there when they drafted MCClain!

speed is key - ill add that lewis isnt just shedding weight to get quicker, but in every interview ive seen its to maintain his speed while he ages. that once he got mid 30s he realized he would have to evolve to remain effective even if it meant giving up a little of his thump

We need OLB help, not MLB. No thanks.

really, i dont mind inside or out (id be ok doing away with the shep/scott experiment and having one be depth) - we need atleast 1 more 3 down backer thats ready to start day 1 next year. free agency, draft, whatever.

from there, 1 other upgrade would be nice.

This Bills team is woefully lacking in veteran leadership though... today I heard the Ravens might be interested, that's probably a much better fit for him, if he makes it that long.

Agreed...And it's just my opinion...But I think Te'o is much closer to Rey Maualuga than he is Willis...I'm certain Te'o is a bit faster than Maualuga, and not nearly as fast and quick as Willis...Maualuga was a heck of a good College player...REAL good...And he was a 2nd Round Pick...He's been a solid, if not spectacular Pro...He leads the Bengals in Tackles this year...He's good...But he's not Willis...And I don't think Te'o is anywhere close to Willis either...That's why, at this point, I'm not crazy about spending a Top 10 Pick on Te'o...There is an absolute TON of hype attached to that Kid right now...I'd like to wait and let the process play out before I decide he's truly an elite prospect...A sub 4.6 40 time would go a LONG way in selling me on Te'o...We'll see... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

really, i dont mind inside or out (id be ok doing away with the shep/scott experiment and having one be depth) - we need atleast 1 more 3 down backer thats ready to start day 1 next year. free agency, draft, whatever.

from there, 1 other upgrade would be nice.

Do you mean swapping Shep out for Scott in the Nickel? If so, I agree. Scott has been largely disappointing in his Nickel LB role this year. And Barnett as the other LB isn't helping anything. The New England drive where they ran/passed 8 consecutive plays right at Barnett was just absolutely embarrassing.

In the hypothetical situation where we do draft Manti Teo, what do you think about making him an OLB?

There's been a lot of talk about McClain being lazy and not much of a team player. I google searched his arrest photo and found this http://cdn.bleacherr....jpg?1353114457

Doesn't seem too bothered about being being cuffed and looks like a moron. No thanks

What's he supposed to do, flick off the camera?! He is wearing a nice brooks brothers shirt. Not to many poorly behaved people do that--just an observation. Perhaps he's lazy and not a team player because the RAIDERS are a terrible organization and he wants out!

Agreed...And it's just my opinion...But I think Te'o is much closer to Rey Maualuga than he is Willis...I'm certain Te'o is a bit faster than Maualuga, and not nearly as fast and quick as Willis...Maualuga was a heck of a good Collage player...REAL good...And he was a 2nd Round Pick...He's been a solid, if not spectacular Pro...He leads the Bengals in Tackles this year...He's good...But he's not Willis...And I don't think Te'o is anywhere close to Willis either...That's why, at this point, I'm not crazy about spending a Top 10 Pick on Te'o...There is an absolute TON of hype attached to that Kid right now...I'd like to wait and let the process play out before I decide he's truly an elite prospect...A sub 4.6 40 time would go a LONG way in selling me on Te'o...We'll see... B-)

I think you make good points here. Too many people getting caught up in the hype. There is no doubt he has great leadership and character qualities. But, outside of a few nice INTs, I've not been overly impressed with his LB play. He seems slow to me. I wasn't surprised to see that concern confirmed in last week's SI article where they quoted an NFL scout as saying he has concerns about Te'o's ability to play in space. Quite simply, if an NFL middle LB can't play in space, he won't cut it. Period. Especially in 43 fronts. Te'o isn't as good as McClain was in college, either.

GO BILLS!!!

What's he supposed to do, flick off the camera?! He is wearing a nice brooks brothers shirt. Not to many poorly behaved people do that--just an observation. Perhaps he's lazy and not a team player because the RAIDERS are a terrible organization and he wants out!

I was going to say the rumors reminded me of Vince Young ... then I see the VY excuse. :lol:

Or perhaps he's lazy and just not a team player. And no he's not supposed to flick off the camera but to look happy and excited when you're being arrested is dumb.

Do you mean swapping Shep out for Scott in the Nickel? If so, I agree. Scott has been largely disappointing in his Nickel LB role this year. And Barnett as the other LB isn't helping anything. The New England drive where they ran/passed 8 consecutive plays right at Barnett was just absolutely embarrassing.

In the hypothetical situation where we do draft Manti Teo, what do you think about making him an OLB?

generally having a MLB that isnt good vs both the run and pass. it makes our defense one dimensional and easy to exploit. barnetts on that list too. i think if we make one big upgrade it may make the others look better but right now it seems like no one trusts the guy next to them in the LB group. that leads to all kinds of havoc. if your weak link is barnett, hes a pretty good player. if your strength is barnett hes woefully underwhelming.

Te'o has me a bit worried - as others have mentioned, speed is going to be the question. if he can go sideline to sideline - awesome. We need to find our QB and MLB for this team. just about every good unit has somebody in those spots. we have fitz, and two guys that have to share the position

i still wish this team wouldve put a push in for curtis lofton last year in FA (instead of the meechem or anderson pushes).

Edited by NoSaint

I was going to say the rumors reminded me of Vince Young ... then I see the VY excuse. :lol:

Did Vince Young play for the Raiders? No. So your comparison between VY and McClain is invalid.

Or perhaps he's lazy and just not a team player. And no he's not supposed to flick off the camera but to look happy and excited when you're being arrested is dumb.

I didn't get the "happy and excited" look out of his face. But perhaps everyone on here is a physic. Our D is so good that we don't need to take a risk on and ILB. We can play the "perhaps" and "he looks happy" getting arrested game all we want. If he is waived, we should bring him in here to find out.

i think hes just referring to how fat and slow Dareus looks this year and how he has been largely a non factor on the football field...which, if your missing, you must be blind

Indeed. I am trusting my eyes on this one. No link needed, and I'm confident it's true.

Reports (and his own Facebook posts) say that Rolando McClain will be released by the Raiders this week. He had a ton of talent and upside at one point (#8 pick in the draft) and heard that he did not fit well with Dennis Allen from a friend in Oakland but has a short history of underperforming and shooting guns during fights. He did have 99 tackles and 5 sacks last year and is only 23 years old. With the state of our linebackers, what do we think?

I know people tend to react this way to every FA that becomes available, but no thanks. I'm sure people thought that way about Aaron Maybin after we released him, of course he is currently out of the NFL as far as I am aware...

This is the assessment of him from the article on NFL.com

"The No. 8 overall pick in the 2010 draft was a massive disappointment on the field -- one of the worst 4-3 middle linebackers in the league, according to NFL Films' Greg Cosell."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000103135/article/raiders-rolando-mcclain-to-be-suspended-for-conduct

Much like Seattle did to Aaron Curry, Oakland played McClain out of position as a rookie and he was never the same.

McClain, coming out of college would have excelled in a 3-4 defense because wait for it....he played in a 3-4 defense at Alabama and was a superstar, his play worthy of that high draft status.

I put this failure square on the shoulders of the Raiders. If they wanted an inside 4-3 backer, they should have drafted one.

I know people tend to react this way to every FA that becomes available, but no thanks. I'm sure people thought that way about Aaron Maybin after we released him, of course he is currently out of the NFL as far as I am aware...

This is the assessment of him from the article on NFL.com

"The No. 8 overall pick in the 2010 draft was a massive disappointment on the field -- one of the worst 4-3 middle linebackers in the league, according to NFL Films' Greg Cosell."

http://www.nfl.com/n...ded-for-conduct

yet still better than Sheppard

yet still better than Sheppard

Saying we should replace Sheppard with Mcclain is kind of like saying we should replace Fitzpatrick with Mark Sanchez. I don't think replacing one bad player with another really helps this team. Actually Sheppard has been playing better as of late, I think he has more upside than McClain right now, and a better attitude.

As far as "excelling" in Alabama, I've always been skeptical of players that look great in amazing systems, loaded with other good players. It really makes it tough to determine how good each individual player really is. Mcclain now plays in the NFL (well, he did looks like he will be suspended/benched for the remainder of the season), and all signs point to him being a colossal failure so far.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

next to AW I think Sheppard was the biggest anchor dragging the defense down he makes London Fletcher and POZ look like superstars in comparison - he has about half the stats you'd expect from an average MLB.

I'm not a Sheppard fan my self I didn't think he earned the starting job, but in defense of his stats -he barely played early in the year. The Bills were using mostly nickle formations with Bryan Scott, that's why the were getting burned by the run so bad in the first half of the year. If you only play half the time, you will have half the stats...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Both Curry and McClain would be worth looking in to, at this point neither is considered a commodity so the price tag should be relatively low. Best case scenario is they turn out as well as Urbik hasn worst case is they suck for real and we give em the Morrison treatment.

Both Curry and McClain would be worth looking in to, at this point neither is considered a commodity so the price tag should be relatively low. Best case scenario is they turn out as well as Urbik hasn worst case is they suck for real and we give em the Morrison treatment.

I don't think comparing him to Urbik is appropriate. Urbik was a 3rd rnd pick who was placed on the practice squad by PIT and didn't really get a chance to play. After being claimed and finally getting a chance to play, Urbik turned out to be decent.

Mcclain was an early 1st round pick who has played for 3 years, and by all accounts has been the worst MLB in football. To top it off the guy has attitude problems. Also as another poster pointed out, he played in a 3-4 in college and has failed in the 4-3. I don't see how he fits into this defense. He's just another recognizable name...

A more appropriate comparison would be to Aaron Maybin, another early 1st round LB who played poorly for 3 years (and is currently not in the NFL).

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Always yes to talent. Buffalo is not Oakland, I'd have to say western NY is a better environment. I'd take a look at curry, I thought he was the best player in that draft (I admit I was wrong). He has the size to play LOLB.

I don't think comparing him to Urbik is appropriate. Urbik was a 3rd rnd pick who was placed on the practice squad by PIT and didn't really get a chance to play. After being claimed and finally getting a chance to play, Urbik turned out to be decent.

Mcclain was an early 1st round pick who has played for 3 years, and by all accounts has been the worst MLB in football. To top it off the guy has attitude problems. Also as another poster pointed out, he played in a 3-4 in college and has failed in the 4-3. I don't see how he fits into this defense. He's just another recognizable name...

A more appropriate comparison would be to Aaron Maybin, another early 1st round LB who played poorly for 3 years (and is currently not in the NFL).

Its more a comparison in the fact that we got something out of a guy that had been cast off.

Also, the bigger point would be that its a talented player that could possibly be acquired for peanuts. So IF we claimed him and it worked out, it would be a very shrewd move.

I know all about McClain, as a matter of fact, I was one if the people completely against drafting him so high when so many here were salivating all over his jock. However, getting unceremoniously benched/cut has a way of motivating a guy. The idea is to use that and tap into that potential, but if he turns out ti be a bum, it costs us nothing.